Go Back   Winnipesaukee Forum > Winnipesaukee Forums > General Discussion
Home Forums Gallery Webcams Blogs YouTube Channel Classifieds Calendar Register FAQDonate Members List Today's Posts

Old 12-03-2009, 07:40 PM   #1
ripley

Default Meredith Liquor store is moving

If you are standing in the parking lot, they are moving to the extreme right end, where there was some kind of video/tv store .
Why is this important? It may be important because: generally the liqour stores in the various shopping centers pay a rather low rental fee as they are desired anchor tenants.
Seems to me that they are moving for one of two reasons.
It could be that they simply want to move but it is far more likely that the owner wants them to move to make way for a supermarket to move into Jackson's old place. At 30,000 sq ft, jackson is too small for most SUPERMARKETS to move into. That leaves us with one of two possibilities: either the owner is moving them with the hopeful end result that a market would more likely want to move there or ,,,,
Seems to me that a market has asked him to move the liquor store because they won't move in unless they get at least 40,000 as an absolute minimum but more likely they would want 50-60K ft .
film at 11 ..I'll get back to you when I know more .
Ripley
ripley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2009, 05:49 PM   #2
phoenix

should we start the Market Basket chant
Old 12-04-2009, 06:07 PM   #3
Nagigator

Default chant away

Just went to the Rindge store today. Putting Market Basket in that plaza is definitely the way to go. Just don't touch Louis Famous!
Nagigator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2009, 06:49 PM   #4
SAMIAM

Thanked 1,638 Times in 567 Posts

Louie's Famous IS the anchor there. Market Basket will do well from his overflow.
SAMIAM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2009, 12:17 PM   #5
angela4design

The liquor store is moving on Wednesday, and the new space, which used to be The Home Theatre Company, is 2,000 sq./ft. LARGER than the current space. (I thought the existing store was large!) It will have a wine room and four registers. Sounds like they expect traffic to increase!

Employees hadn't heard anything more about Market Basket
angela4design is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 12-07-2009, 12:56 PM   #6
jmen24

I know I have said this before, but I will state it again. You will not see Market Basket move into a plaza unless they can take complete ownership of the entire property. It would have to be the greatest location in the Northeast for them to put another store in a plaza that they do not own. There are currently only 2 stores in the entire chain that are not in buildings that they own, Stores st in Concord and the other in MA, both very old stores that do not see any upgrades. Unless the main office has made a change to the 2010-2011 new store schedule in the last two weeks, it is not happening.

MB is coming to a town near you, but further north, that is all I will say as it is not to be talked about subject. It will be the northern most store in the chain. Do not ask for more info than that right know, but that is your teaser, this deal is already in ink.

Meredith is way to seasonal a town for MB to invest alot of money into. Look at every one of their stores, they are located in surbuban areas, directly off highways and in areas that they can pull a broad spectrum of traffic in all directions. i.e. (Tilton and new Hooksett store)
jmen24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2009, 01:41 PM   #7
meredith weekender

JMEN24 I think you are wrong about the number of stores that are on rented property. I know that the store that is located right off of the Everett Turnpike on Amherst Street in Nashua is a tenant location as well as the new store being built in Epping.
meredith weekender is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2009, 01:58 PM   #8
LIforrelaxin

Location: Long Island, not that one, the one on Winnipesaukee

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmen24 View Post
Look at every one of their stores, they are located in surbuban areas, directly off highways and in areas that they can pull a broad spectrum of traffic in all directions. i.e. (Tilton and new Hooksett store)
jmen I will call you on this......

Now you may think you know a lot about MB, and maybe you do.... But I can tell you that there are more then 1 or 2 of their stores that are way off the highway and by no means in an area to pull a broad spectrum of traffic. In fact you if know as much as you claim, you will be able to tell me where they have 3 stores all with in 10 to 15 mins of each other and only one of them has access to the highway. The other two or at least 20 mins, from any major traffic artery....

Of those 3 stores, I know that one they definately do not own the building, the second, I strongly believe they don't..... it is only the third that I believe they actually own.
Old 12-07-2009, 01:59 PM   #9
jmen24

You are right, sorry for that information, I may be mixing up a Mass location with the Nashua one. Epping, I am not aware of the setup for that store, it is still not a typical situation for the company.

The holding company for MB's real estate is huge and is worth a considerable bit more than the retail stores, maybe they are getting good deals on those locations, but I do not know that information is not available.
Old 12-07-2009, 02:10 PM   #10
jmen24

Each item was intended to be a seperate thing describing each of their stores, I did not do a good job of making that clear.

But you asked so what stores?

Nashua has three stores, all do up to and over a million a week, Tueskbury has three stores (all on the same road if I remember correctly), all do up to and over a million a week. They put in additional stores in the same area because the demand for them is there. Londonderry is close to a million a week and Fort Eddy in Concord is over, I can tell you that the Hooksett store will do just as well with little suffering to the other two.

Tilton was put in that location to draw from the east, west and north. The Swanzey store will pull from the western corner of the state including Keene. Claremont pulls from VT, but is not a very busy store compared with the other major areas, Warner is the same way, those are niche markets, Claremont is old and Warner is new and was put in place to bridge the gap between Concord and Claremont.

The Stores st location has such a high volume of "on foot" traffic from downtown Concord that it will probably always remain.

Salem and Chelsey are in a league of their own as far as weekly volume. I know these stores are not located near each other but if you have been into them you can understand why they have more than one location in other communities.

Just a little more. MB is a family run and owned company that is aware of every penny that passes through the company. They do not decide on new store locations by placing a pin on a map. They will not put an additional store in the same area unless it is needed. This is a company that on the retail sector out performs some national retail companies on annual sales volume, this is not their first big paper route.

Shaws on Fort Eddy road is closing soon because the company thought they could pull from two sides of the street by placing a second location at the top of the heights, well it did not work out so well, five years after the new store opened the original store is a ghost town.

Last edited by jmen24; 12-07-2009 at 02:49 PM. Reason: To keep adding
Old 12-07-2009, 02:33 PM   #11
jmen24

I guess I should make my position clear, I would like nothing more than to see MB move through this state and others like wildfire, reaching every community across the board, my wife's profit sharing growth would continue at a ridiculous level. But, there are no plans within the 2010-2011 new store schedule to put a store in Meredith as of a few weeks ago, the updates on these things come fairly regular. Main focus is remodeling the older stores and putting up a few new locations (most have been announced). I like the slow and steady approach, it works better in the long run as a long term business plan than just going gangbusters. It shows that they think about how to spend money and are not worried about being the biggest kid on the field.
Old 12-08-2009, 03:15 PM   #12
SIKSUKR

Default Selfish plug

I've been amazed that Nashua has 3 MB's and Manchester doesn't have one.I'm waiting.
Old 12-08-2009, 04:09 PM   #13
jmen24

Now this is truely rumor from many years ago when I was still with the company that the reason MB is not in Manchester is due to an agreement that was struck between MB and (Shaws or Hannaford (shop and save at the time)) that they would not put a store within the limits of Manchester. Take that for exactly what it is, but you are getting one in Hooksett right near the new Super Walmart at the intersection of 93 and 3A. That to me is about as close to ManchVegas as you can get. This coming year, so get through ski season and you would feel like you have waited to long.

http://bulletin.aarp.org/states/nh/2...ery_store.html

One thing to note about the three stores in Nashua is this: The store that still says Demoulas caters to the latin population in the area, if you walk through that store you will notice a very large (more than most other MB's) amount of GOYA product. Each one of MB's that are in the same area or on the same road do the same thing you will see a different variety of items in each store.

I worked a road night crew in two different Tewksbury stores that one had an entire ailse devoted to paper towels and water, stacked on the shelves as well as one row in front of the shelves stacked on the floor to the top of the shelving. The other store did not have that same setup and it was on the same street as the first one.
Old 12-10-2009, 03:41 PM   #14
6meter

Jmen24, that would be Tewksbury Ma. The home of Market Basket. They only have two, to say, as one is in Lowell. The next town over does have 3 MB. They all are on the main st, one at each end and one in the middle of town. Two are in larger shopping plazas and one at a mall. To my knowledge, none of the locations are owned by MB.
6meter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2009, 03:58 PM   #15
jmen24

6meter, you are probably right, it appears that I was off on my count of stores within plazas that they own. Thanks to you and the others that got me to verify. I will sulk in the corner for a while.

I have only been to Tewksbury twice both times driven down at night and I was not the driver, I remember driving by one store on the left of the road in a plaza (second time) and the other on the was on the right (first time) much bigger store. The guy driving grew up there before moving to NH so I did not feel a need to pay attention. It is possible the one of the trips was in a neighboring town but I know we drove through Tewks.

Anyway to prevent from derailing this thread further, there was absolutely no mention of a MB in Meredith for new stores in 2010 in this weeks announcement.
Old 12-14-2009, 02:47 PM   #16
SIKSUKR

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmen24 View Post
Now this is truely rumor from many years ago when I was still with the company that the reason MB is not in Manchester is due to an agreement that was struck between MB and (Shaws or Hannaford (shop and save at the time)) that they would not put a store within the limits of Manchester. Take that for exactly what it is, but you are getting one in Hooksett right near the new Super Walmart at the intersection of 93 and 3A. That to me is about as close to ManchVegas as you can get. This coming year, so get through ski season and you would feel like you have waited to long.
There was one in the planning stages at a Bedford location which is 1/2 mile from the Manch line and about the same to my house.Have not heard much about it in a year.
Old 12-15-2009, 04:42 PM   #17
Lakesrider

Thanked 1,016 Times in 345 Posts

I think someone from the forum should open up a store there. We could all get discounts and talk nasty about the "Other Store" in the deli section...or the beer section.

Last edited by Lakesrider; 12-16-2009 at 09:03 AM.
Lakesrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2009, 06:32 PM   #18
jmen24

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lakesrider View Post
I think someone from the forum should open up a store there. Ee could all get discounts and talk nasty about the "Other Store" in the deli section...or the beer section.
Sounds good to me.

SS, There has not been any talk of a store in Bedford, NH (at least not for 2010-2011) but one in New Bedford, MA IS going in. Mabee someone overheard a conversation about that and passed on bunk info, who knows. I would think the one in Hooksett at 3A would be pretty close, at least closer than Londonderry and Concord.

You have to be careful with the rumurs that spread about this companies possible locations as you here all kinds, all the time. We hear customers all the time talk about an MB that is going in in Epsom, another in Concord, laconia. All over the place, these are customers telling management and other employees?
Old 12-18-2009, 09:53 AM   #19
SIKSUKR

Default Sorry for the hijack

Actually Jmen, I watched the planning board meetings on our Bedford local access channel a few years ago. I was just told that one was being looked at in another Bedford location.
Old 12-18-2009, 12:35 PM   #20
jmen24

SS, that is a different story. If they do get going on building there you are most likely looking three to four years from now, that all depends on how the town handles things (look at Cabelas). Bedford would be a great location, hopefully you get one close by. They speculate sites all the time as most major companies do, testing the water so to speak. News on new locations does not come out until the contract to build has been inked. I will keep an ear out.