Go Back   Winnipesaukee Forum > Winnipesaukee Forums > Boating
Home Forums Gallery Webcams Blogs YouTube Channel Classifieds Calendar Register FAQDonate Members List Today's Posts

Old 09-28-2009, 07:14 PM   #1
NoBozo

Default This Is Boating...?

Last week we were sitting on the dock in Winter Harbor having cocktails at around 5PM. The afternoon had been quiet, the wind light...when out of the blue..a SKI Boat...Malibu or some such came whizzing by with a skier and a STEREO SYSTEM pumping out 5000 watts of music via large speakers (3 0n each side) rigged out to either side of the tow frame....or roll bar fixed to the boat......facing the skier.

When the boat was moving away from us the sound was deafening for WELL OVER a Mile. This went on for 45 minutes,..Up and down..up and down. Makes a Jet Ski playing look like childs play.

What's up with that...?? Is this acceptable?? I have not seen any posts about this practice. Where is the Kayaking Crowd on this topic? NB
NoBozo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2009, 08:33 PM   #2
This'nThat

Just think about Caddyshack. Same principle. It's all about them, dontcha know, dude?
This'nThat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2009, 09:13 PM   #3
VitaBene

Thanked 1,601 Times in 821 Posts
Default Now I know

Now I know why I can't wakeboard- I need a way bigger audio system on my boat.
VitaBene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2009, 03:58 AM   #4
ApS

Default "Tuftonboro Bay" Needs Its Own Thread...

Quote:
Originally Posted by NoBozo View Post
Last week we were sitting on the dock in Winter Harbor having cocktails at around 5PM. The afternoon had been quiet, the wind light...when out of the blue..a SKI Boat...Malibu or some such came whizzing by with a skier and a STEREO SYSTEM pumping out 5000 watts of music via large speakers (3 0n each side) rigged out to either side of the tow frame....or roll bar fixed to the boat......facing the skier.

When the boat was moving away from us the sound was deafening for WELL OVER a Mile. This went on for 45 minutes,..Up and down..up and down. Makes a Jet Ski playing look like childs play.

What's up with that...?? Is this acceptable?? I have not seen any posts about this practice. Where is the Kayaking Crowd on this topic? NB
There are two of these skiboats around the area of Winter Harbor sometimes referred to as "Tuftonboro Bay".

The boat you write of is well-known to kayakers and is "old news": this is their third year with that stereo and that system got a "way-bigger" upgrade this season. A discussion was had earlier this year about a parent buying a stereo system for his offspring—who shortly afterwards asked that The Forum be courteous!

Skiboat-1 has mostly blue graphics, and Skiboat-2 is mostly white with blue graphics. Skiboat-1 is the perpetual offending visitor, entertaining Tuftonboro shorelines with their presence every summer day—even in the rain!

Beginning at 7:30-AM, Skiboat-1 starts his noisy day from a Tuftonboro shore famous for a large family compound with large expanses of lawn. Skiboat-1 rockets by my place to pick up skiers from our shore's noisiest residents.

Except while skiing, the "driver" of Skiboat-1 is at WOT all the time, and apparently adores the sound that passes from his V-8 engine's thru-hull exhaust pipes as he visits our waters.

Skiboat-2 mostly visits within the narrowest part of Winter Harbor to perfect "wake-surfing" abomination. Skiboat-2's owner wrote at a former Wolfeboro forum that he does not play "offensive" music.

When truly windy everywhere else, "Tuftonboro Bay" (the old term) is often the calmest area around. The water temperature in that narrow area is much warmer than anywhere else nearby, which might account for all the water-sports.

"Tuftonboro Bay" already has ample noise from fireworks, trucks, motorcycles, and large boats with multi-V8 exhaust noise. Some of those boats have boat-lifts that cost more than camps nearby! (I'd post a borrowed photo, but the photo is 2 Megs).

At its most-northern point is a designated Loon Sanctuary.

BUT...I give them both a pass because:

1) it's already noisy there,
2) the Loon Sanctuary has been compromised for years,
3) the kids are outdoors in summer, and
4) waterskiing is a healthy diversion for today's juveniles

< < < < shrug > > > >
Old 09-29-2009, 09:50 AM   #5
Dave R

Quote:
Originally Posted by Acres per Second View Post

BUT...I give them both a pass because:

1) it's already noisy there,
2) the Loon Sanctuary has been compromised for years,
3) the kids are outdoors in summer, and
4) waterskiing is a healthy diversion for today's juveniles

< < < < shrug > > > >
This, I like
Dave R is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 09-29-2009, 11:43 AM   #6
tis

Thanked 1,379 Times in 955 Posts

Quote:

We heard that boat too, it sure was noisy from far away.
tis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2009, 02:36 PM   #7
BroadHopper

Thanked 1,089 Times in 783 Posts
Question BL Boat

Is this the BL boat everyone is refering too? Do they have mufflers for those speakers?
Old 09-29-2009, 07:52 PM   #8
sky_nh

Quote:
Where is the Kayaking Crowd on this topic? NB
Personally, I would like to know where the Waterfowl Crowd is on this, or the Sailing Crowd, or the Swimming Crowd, or the over-abundant Slug Crowd, or perhaps even the Harley Crowd since they ride by the Lake. I am sure each of those groups have a vested interest in keeping those rowdy motor boats under control!

(In case you missed it, the sarcasm is for using a totally unrelated event to slam a group you seem not to care for. Grow up, please!)

Sky
sky_nh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2009, 08:57 PM   #9
VtSteve

Quote:
Originally Posted by sky_nh View Post
Personally, I would like to know where the Waterfowl Crowd is on this, or the Sailing Crowd, or the Swimming Crowd, or the over-abundant Slug Crowd, or perhaps even the Harley Crowd since they ride by the Lake. I am sure each of those groups have a vested interest in keeping those rowdy motor boats under control!

(In case you missed it, the sarcasm is for using a totally unrelated event to slam a group you seem not to care for. Grow up, please!)

Sky
APS has blessed the LOUD boat(s), therefore, it is what it is. Carry on.

Remain focused on your target please.
VtSteve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2009, 08:59 AM   #10
Dave R

I just want to clarify that I don't like loud boats (music or exhaust), I simply like that APS gave them a "pass" because they are kids getting out and being active. I would much rather listen to a group of screaming kids playing "king of the mountain" on a floating tube, or having a huge squirt gun/splash battle, at a sandbar, than someone's loud stereo or exhaust.
Dave R is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Dave R For This Useful Post:
VitaBene (09-30-2009)
Old 09-30-2009, 10:57 AM   #11
dpg

Quote:

Is it acceptable? Acceptable to who, you?
dpg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2009, 11:28 AM   #12
Sammy

Default Cocktails

Are you serving cocktails at around 5PM this weekend? We can stop by... I'm sure after a few we might go after them and silence their speakers...
Sammy is offline   Reply With Quote