Go Back   Winnipesaukee Forum > Winnipesaukee Forums > General Discussion
Home Forums Gallery Webcams Blogs YouTube Channel Classifieds Calendar Register FAQDonate Members List Today's Posts

Old 01-04-2008, 05:36 PM   #1
nj2nh

Default Alton Winter Carnival?

My brother was wondering if Alton has scheduled a Winter Carnival for February this year. I checked the Parks Dept webpage, but didn't see anything. I know it has been cancelled a couple of times because the lake wasn't frozen enough and thought that perhaps they were just giving up on the whole thing.

Does anyone know????

nj2nh
Old 01-05-2008, 09:44 AM   #2
idigtractors

Can't the Alton Bed Race Team answer this little ole question????
idigtractors is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2008, 12:57 PM   #3
eyenotall777

I know that the radar run w/ Mt. Major Club is usually the same weekend and read that the Towns insurance policy may not cover that so maybe they it will not cover that either.....
eyenotall777 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2008, 05:14 PM   #4
nj2nh

Okay, but the Winter Carnival is RUN by the Alton Parks and Recreation Department so their insurance must have covered it in the past. The other thing must be different.

I googled "Alton Winter Carnival" and found that the Christian Conference Center is taking bookings for the weekend of Feb. 16-18, but I couldn't find any other references.

Anyone????

nj2nh
Old 01-08-2008, 11:05 AM   #5
gtxrider

Default bookings?

Quote:
Originally Posted by nj2nh View Post
Okay, but the Winter Carnival is RUN by the Alton Parks and Recreation Department so their insurance must have covered it in the past. The other thing must be different.

I googled "Alton Winter Carnival" and found that the Christian Conference Center is taking bookings for the weekend of Feb. 16-18, but I couldn't find any other references.

Anyone????

nj2nh

Did you say they making book on their bed to win? I hope there is a Carnival since we plan to be there that weekend!
gtxrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 01-09-2008, 09:38 PM   #6
Island Girl

Cool Winter Carnival is on for 2008

I emailed the Parks and Recreation Department and got a reply today.
Winter Carnival is scheduled for Sunday, February 17, 2008- 1:00pm-3:00pm, weather permitting.

The activities have not been announced yet for need of volunteers... so volunteer, folks!!!!

They will have a pre-registration for the Bed Race.... we will be ready!!!

IG

....... Make Lemonade
Island Girl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2008, 11:12 AM   #7
SIKSUKR

Upthesaukee is usually right on top of this item.
Old 01-14-2008, 10:57 PM   #8
upthesaukee

Thanked 1,918 Times in 1,061 Posts
Default He was at one time

Quote:
Originally Posted by SIKSUKR View Post
Upthesaukee is usually right on top of this item.
But he is not on Parks and Rec any more. So, I'm kinda an outsider my self now.
Old 01-15-2008, 06:09 AM   #9
idigtractors

Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by upthesaukee View Post
But he is not on Parks and Rec any more. So, I'm kinda an outsider my self now.
That's not good. Can't you be put on a special type of list or something???
Old 01-16-2008, 03:24 PM   #10
SIKSUKR

Got it.You must still have those "Big Wheel" connections though!
Old 01-17-2008, 09:03 AM   #11
bigpatsfan

On a different subject but staying in Alton, does anyone know what the final outcome was regarding Lt. Correia of the Alton Police Department?

The last I read was Correia presented his case for a new hearing to the Belknap Court back in December but I have not read anything regarding what the Court’s decision was.

Thanks
bigpatsfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2008, 09:52 AM   #12
mcdude

Thanked 1,044 Times in 490 Posts

Winter fun with Alton Parks and Recreation
Quote:
Originally Posted by [B
From the Baysider[/B]]
Winter fun with Alton Parks and Recreation
January 17, 2008
ALTON — Alton Parks and Recreation is sponsoring a couple of events in the coming months.

ALATON BAY WINTER FESTIVAL

The Annual Alton Bay Winter Festival is scheduled for Sunday, Feb, 17, from 1 to 3 p.m. at the Alton Bay Bandstand on Lake Winnipesaukee, weather permitting. More information will be available in upcoming publications or contact Alton Parks and Recreation at 875-0109 or parksrec@alton.nh.gov.

"FULL-MOON" SNOWSHOE WALK

Thursday, Feb. 21, join Parks and Rec for a snowshoe walk at 7 p.m. through the woods, including gradual down hills and slight inclines. Please bring snowshoes and poles and be sure to dress in layers for winter. The moon should be bright enough to light the way, but an extra headlamp or flashlight is helpful for each person. The snowshoe walk is free and is led by an experienced snowshoe enthusiast. Pre-registration is required by Feb. 15. Please call Peter Bolster at 776-1622 for trail directions and to register. Participants should be in good physical condition and be able to complete a three to five-mile hike. Participants under 15 must be accompanied by an adult.

"SUNSHINE" SUNDAY AFTERNOON CROSS-COUNTRY SKIING EXCURSIONS

Dates include: Feb. 10 and 17 and March 9 and 16, starting at 2 p.m. Please dress for the outdoor weather and be sure to include all of your gear, including water and a camera. The cross-country skiing event is free and is led by an experienced cross-country skier. Pre-registration is required, please call Peter Bolster the Wednesday before each Sunday event for trail directions and to register. Different locations will be featured each Sunday afternoon including loop trails, trails through the woods with gradual down hills and good long glides. Participants should be in good physical condition and be able to complete a cross-country skiing trail on varied terrain. Participants under 15 must be accompanied by an adult.
mcdude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2008, 11:11 PM   #13
upthesaukee

Thanked 1,918 Times in 1,061 Posts
Default fly-in

I spoke with someone today about the flyin on winter carnival day, and they hope to open the ice runway very soon. I was told by someone else they have put the signs out stating there is an active runway, but haven't plowed it off yet. I suspect they are waiting for this latest storm to pass, so that they can plow it and not have puddled water that snowmobiles will run through, leaving tracks that will freeze and make the runway unsafe and unuseable.

Keep good thoughts for the cold weather to kick in and stay in past the fishing derby and winter carnival.
Old 01-19-2008, 08:44 PM   #14
Just Sold

Smile Alton Bay Airport

The airport is open. 3 planes were there today and the runway is marked.

Will post photos when photopost is back up.
Old 01-23-2008, 03:34 PM   #15
Island Girl

Default Alton Bay Winter Carnival Poster

Click on the poster for a much larger view if needed

....... Make Lemonade
Old 01-25-2008, 04:21 PM   #16
ghfromaltonbay

Default Any mushers out there???

Sunset Bob is willing and able to provide transportation for the Forum Flyers bed from its secret location to the Carnival site. However, we need some strong backs and weak minds (or something like that) to act as mushers and alternates in case someone winds up on the DL. 4 mushers and 1 rider are required to register the bed with the Alton Rec. Dept. Do we have any forum members out there who will make sure we cross the finish line 1st and show those guys from the Alton Bay Conference Center that they don't own the race??
ghfromaltonbay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2008, 12:02 PM   #17
Weirs guy

gh,

I have been volunteered to be a "Winter Carny" by Weirs Gal (who works for a sponsor) so I will be available at least as an alternate, winter carny musher.

Momma would be so proud.

Now?
Weirs guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2008, 01:03 PM   #18
gtxrider

Default Area 51?

Quote:
Originally Posted by ghfromaltonbay View Post
Sunset Bob is willing and able to provide transportation for the Forum Flyers bed from its secret location to the Carnival site. However, we need some strong backs and weak minds (or something like that) to act as mushers and alternates in case someone winds up on the DL. 4 mushers and 1 rider are required to register the bed with the Alton Rec. Dept. Do we have any forum members out there who will make sure we cross the finish line 1st and show those guys from the Alton Bay Conference Center that they don't own the race??

Is SUNSET BOB driving all the way to AREA 51? I hope the ice is thick enough to offset the heat generated by the speed of the FLYER. The heat that will be like the shuttle reentering the atmosphere.

Last edited by gtxrider; 01-28-2008 at 03:42 PM.
gtxrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2008, 09:23 PM   #19
Sunset Bob
Deceased Member

Default Area 51

Quote:
Originally Posted by gtxrider View Post
Is SUNSET BOB driving all the way to AREA 51? I hope the ice is thick enough to offset the heat generated by the speed of the FLYER. The heat that will be like the shuttle reentering the atmosphere.
I will pick up the FLYER at AREA 51 but need to know if anyone will be home.Then we need to find a place for the team to meet.Also has anyone registered the FORUM FLYER with the parks department? Deadline for registration is tomorrow.
Sunset Bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2008, 10:06 PM   #20
DRH

Default No Forum Flyer This Year

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sunset Bob View Post
I will pick up the FLYER at AREA 51 but need to know if anyone will be home.Then we need to find a place for the team to meet.Also has anyone registered the FORUM FLYER with the parks department? Deadline for registration is tomorrow.
The Forum Flyer will not be racing this year, Sunset Bob. The lack of enough interest, and no one willing to coordinate the effort, resulted in the Flyer remaining in storage. Perhaps next year there will be more volunteers willing to get things off the ground.
Old 02-11-2008, 01:14 PM   #21
Nellie

Default Snowmobile Radar Run is on!

The Mount Major Snowmobile CLub's annual radar run will be held at the Alton Bay Winter Carnival this Sunday, February 17th. Come on down the bay and have some fun. The radar run is 660'. Please come support the club. Volunteers welcomed too

SORRY THE RADAR RUN IS CANCELLED

Last edited by Nellie; 02-17-2008 at 11:10 AM.
Nellie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2008, 07:48 AM   #22
idigtractors

Quote:
Originally Posted by DRH View Post
The Forum Flyer will not be racing this year, Sunset Bob. The lack of enough interest, and no one willing to coordinate the effort, resulted in the Flyer remaining in storage. Perhaps next year there will be more volunteers willing to get things off the ground.
"What a bummer" No Forum Flyer sled after all the work to get her ready.
Old 02-12-2008, 07:56 AM   #23
Island Girl

Default Tell me about it

Perhaps next year some of you will volunteer to run with the Forum Flyers. These activities take time to plan and execute. A few of us got the bed ready to run, but not enough people commited to mush and to be backup mushers. Sunset Bob donated the bed and volunteered to transport it... This required other help to get it out of the attic and onto his vehicle... then onto the ice.

Next year one of you can get the ball rolling, organize the volunteers and the bed will be ready for you...

Thanks to the few who did volunteer and sorry we won't be running this year.

See you at the carnival!!!

IG

....... Make Lemonade
Old 02-12-2008, 11:16 AM   #24
Winterharborway

Smile Festival

hi there- I plan to be there. Can't volunteer this year but possibly next! Looking forward to it and hope the runway is open and they offer flights!

Jennifer
Winterharborway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2008, 03:42 PM   #25
ghfromaltonbay

Smile We've got to get organized!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Island Girl View Post
Next year one of you can get the ball rolling, organize the volunteers and the bed will be ready for you...

Thanks to the few who did volunteer and sorry we won't be running this year.

See you at the carnival!!!IG
To quote Deputy Norman Jones (Jonathan Winters) in "The Russians Are Coming, The Russians Are Coming": "We've got to get organized!"
I will make it a point to start a thread right after Christmas to remind everyone about the winter carnival. Hopefully the weather gods will cooperate again and the carnival will be a go in 2009. If we start planning a good 6-8 weeks ahead, we should be able to get a team together to not only race, but also volunteers to transport the Forum Flyer from its secret location to the bay. It's a little difficult for me to help with registration since I'm located 300 miles away, but I'll volunteer to get the ball rolling and recruit our team.
As IG said, see you at the carnival!!! It's worth the trip from Joisey, so gtxrider and I will be there.

Last edited by ghfromaltonbay; 02-12-2008 at 03:43 PM. Reason: grammar
Old 02-17-2008, 04:45 PM   #26
riverat

I totally enjoyed this years carnival, My bobhouse was close by and I enjoyed watching the sleds and people and slieghrides and helicopter rides. Had a visit from the Ice Princess and the Penguin and also won 5 raffle prizes all while I was fishing and listening to music. And what about those UNH Wildcats, they blew the sheets off the other beds in the race. Yeah! Go Cats.
Old 02-18-2008, 12:28 PM   #27
Weirs guy

Quote:
Originally Posted by riverat View Post
...also won 5 raffle prizes all while I was fishing and listening to music.
So YOUR the one! Definitely a good turn out, although I've never been to the ABWC before. We had the privilege of helping out with some of the activities and couldn't believe how many hot dogs (at least 250), hamburgers (couldn't tell ya) and chili and fish chowder (10+ gallons of each) was consumed. We had to make a mid-lunch shift hot dog run! Lots of people having a great time, helicopter and sleigh rides, one plane take off from the runway, the kids ice fishing derby, what a great day on the ice. Even the ice conditions were way better then last weekend!

Now riverat, the $60K question, did you catch anything with all that ruckus going on?

Now?
Weirs guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2008, 03:46 PM   #28
riverat

No, but than again I don't catch much when it's quiet
Old 02-20-2008, 01:25 PM   #29
ghfromaltonbay

Default Great Winter Carnival

The weather/ice conditions were great for Sunday's winter carnival. What a great idea to include a horse-drawn sleigh! Although the Forum didn't have their bed racing this year, it was fun to watch the activities. Ran into a few friends who live year-round in Alton Bay. It was good to catch up with the news since we left the lake in October. gtxrider and I were amazed that we didn't see any of the forum members that we know. Where were Mee-n-Mac? We thought about walking over to their side of the lake, but we figured it would be a slog without snow shoes. Now that we're back in NJ, it's time to look forward to the trip in May to open up the camp.
Old 02-22-2008, 11:25 AM   #30
mcdude

Thanked 1,044 Times in 490 Posts
Default From the Baysider

Christian Conference Center loses out on First Place Bragging Rights....

Quote:
Alton Bay Winter Festival results announced
February 21, 2008
ALTON — The Alton Parks and Recreation Department sponsored its annual Winter Festival on Sunday, Feb. 17, from 1 to 3 p.m. at Alton Bay.

Lake Winnipesaukee was a Winter Wonderland with games, snowmobiles, ice fishing, helicopters, families of all ages, dogs and even horses.

Activities included the Parks and Recreation Department's Scavenger Hunt, D.J. music, ice bowling and the Great Alton Bay Bed Race.

The Alton Business Association sponsored many events, as well, including an adult fishing derby, horse-drawn sleigh rides, tug-of-war, a puppet show, Penguin and Ice Princess characters, a Crazy Hat Contest, a snowshoe obstacle course, refreshments and raffles.

The Rotary Club sponsored a kids' fishing derby.

Due to ice conditions, however, the Aviation Association of New Hampshire's Fly-in and the Mt. Major Snowmobile Club's Radar Run were both cancelled.

It is estimated that more than 500 people participated in the outdoor festival.

Scavenger Hunt results

Eight teams participated in finding the items on the list or answering questions. First place was awarded to the Zobet family, who found every item on the scavenger hunt list.

Second place went to the Douglas family; third place to the Pritras family; fourth place to the Russarage family; fifth place to the Kimball family; sixth place to the Kierstead family; seventh place to Josie and Sarah; and eighth place to the team of "K & A."

Great prizes, including a picnic backpack set, beach towels, coolers, water bottle packs, Frisbees, travel mugs and bags were awarded to the participants.

Bed race results

Six teams participated in the Bed Race. Beds were creative and included unique construction, decorations and themes.

The fastest bed was team UNH Wildcats, with members Tyler King, Mike McLellan, Charlie Smith, Sarah Whitty and Becca Lehr. The team was awarded a $50 cash prize donated by Meredith Village Savings Bank.

Second place went to Team Gangstas, with members Brody Mankos, Nick Mankos, Brian Judge, Amanda Judge and Ryan Turmel.

Third place was awarded to the Alton Bay Christian Conference Center team, with members Matt Rice, Trevor Smith, Vinny Ashella, Daree Rykbost and Ron Gagnon.

Fourth place went to Team Pac-Man, with members Barbara-Jean O'Dea, Nick Welch, Connor Shearn, Peter Rowell and Caleb Rowell. Team Pac-Man also received a $50 cash prize donated by Meredith Village Savings Bank for the most unique-themed bed.

Fifth place honors went to the Sunset Snoozers, with members Fred Sallah, Brendan Barcheall, Lee Adams and Jack Miller.

In sixth place was team Tiki Express, with members Karl Koch, Stuart Russell, Karen Russell, Kristen Belanger and Troy Belanger.

Each team received a participation prize of a pillowcase full of travel mugs, one for each racer.

Thinking ahead

Next year's Winter Festival has already been scheduled for Feb. 15, weather permitting.

For more information on this annual event, contact the Parks and Recreation Department at 875-0109.
mcdude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2008, 12:05 PM   #31
GWC...

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcdude View Post
Christian Conference Center loses out on First Place Bragging Rights....
At least they have participation bragging rights...