Go Back   Winnipesaukee Forum > Winnipesaukee Forums > General Discussion
Home Forums Gallery Webcams Blogs YouTube Channel Classifieds Calendar Register FAQDonate Members List Today's Posts

Old 06-08-2006, 12:17 PM   #1
JasonG

Default Getting To Bike Week - Without a Bike - Ideas?

Ok, the family and I want to visit Bike Week for a day. Mid week, I would assume is better.

Now since we dont have bikes ( nor do Car Seats legally fit on bikes ), the idea was to go to the Weirs Docks by boat. The question is, where do we launch that has minimal traffic? I am assuming if I get off rt 93 at exit 23, go right to Meredith and launch there, I will hit minimal traffic. We can then boat down to Weirs and check out the event.

Any thoughts?
Jason
JasonG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2006, 12:29 PM   #2
TomC

Default i think they close the Weirs docks

or maybe limit the dock time. i can't recall, but I know it isn't "business as usual" with the docks during Bike Week...
TomC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2006, 12:30 PM   #3
Woodsy

Jason...

If you go before thursday, it will be easier for you just to park at the Weirs. There will be parking at the Weirs Beach Community Center (next to the Fire Dept) among other places. I think they charge $10.

You can also park in Meredith or Lakeport and take the train.

If its a nice day there will be next to no chance of finding space at the Weirs docks. They block off the back 1/2 and there are still a few fingers that need repair.

Woodsy
Old 06-08-2006, 12:35 PM   #4
Seaplane Pilot

Quote:
Originally Posted by JasonG
Ok, the family and I want to visit Bike Week for a day. Mid week, I would assume is better.

Now since we dont have bikes ( nor do Car Seats legally fit on bikes ), the idea was to go to the Weirs Docks by boat. The question is, where do we launch that has minimal traffic? I am assuming if I get off rt 93 at exit 23, go right to Meredith and launch there, I will hit minimal traffic. We can then boat down to Weirs and check out the event.

Any thoughts?
Jason
Meredith will have a lot of traffic as well. Depending on where you are coming from, you could take Rt. 28 up to Alton Bay. You could either launch in Alton Bay or drive up Rt. 11 to Ames Farm in Gilford.

However: be aware that in past years (not sure about this year) Laconia has closed off the Weirs public docks to boaters. That's always been a pet peeve of mine - screw the boaters who are up here spending money all summer long. I love bureaucrats...
Seaplane Pilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2006, 12:55 PM   #5
JasonG

Default What about AFTER Bike Week?

On a seperate though, we are planning on coming up sometime that week after bike week as well. However, I know that the weirs closes down. Bad news for the kids. Any idea when the peir arcade & food locations re-open?
JasonG is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 06-08-2006, 01:01 PM   #6
Weirs guy

A. Take the train from Meredith. Cheap, easy and all the locals do it.

B. Everything should be open the week of 06/26 as school lets out around here sometime the week after bike week (and all the "help" is available). There are some arcades and pizza joints open right now though, so even the week after there should be some activities to enjoy.

Now?
Weirs guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2006, 01:37 PM   #7
Kevin C

Last year we tied up at the Weirs dock on the weekend without a problem. If you are bringing the boat up for the day you could drop it in at Fay's Boatyard.

By car there was parking on the other side of the Weirs Bridge in the mini-golf / Dunkins parking lot for $20.

First time I ever was there during bike week. Spent no more than an hour there and then got outta Dodge.

Before you criticize someone, you should walk a mile in their shoes. That way when you criticize them, you're a mile away and you have their shoes.

Author Unknown.
Kevin C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2006, 05:11 PM   #8
ACutAbove

you can also take the small boats over to the weirs from the meredith town docks, or you can put your boat in over at the center harbor town docks to stay away from the traffic..just a thought..
ACutAbove is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2006, 08:15 AM   #9
WeirsBeachBoater

Default Take the Doris E. or Sophie C.

Thursday through Sunday Shuttles leave Meredith to Weirs $10 roundtrip Great way to get to the heart of the action!
WeirsBeachBoater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2006, 09:23 AM   #10
Rockdaddy

When has BIKE week turned in to Family week? bring ear pulgs for the kids
Rockdaddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2006, 02:39 PM   #11
Dave R

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rockdaddy
When has BIKE week turned in to Family week? bring ear pulgs for the kids
Over the last 20 years or so it's evolved into a "Disneyfied" event. Kinda like 42 street in NYC.
Dave R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2006, 07:54 PM   #12
Airwaves

If you are dragging a boat with you I am thinking the suggestion re: Alton might be a pretty good one.

I am NOT bringing the boat up this week, although I will be at the lake from tomorrow until Sunday.

I gave a friend a heads up and she says she has not put her boat in yet either.

More to do with high water than bikes!

Good luck,
Airwaves is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2006, 04:23 AM   #13
Eki

>> When has BIKE week turned in to Family week? bring ear pulgs for the kids

LOL, yah... it's a real wholesome event
Eki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2006, 07:49 AM   #14
jrc

I"ve gone off and on for twenty years. Although wholesome is not the first word I'd use, the atmosphere has toned down a lot, especially from a visual perspective. All of the public nudity is gone. Most of the public drinking is gone, (still a lot of public drunkeness). I see a lot less motorcycle antics, like wheelies and burnouts. I see a lot less fighting, thankfully no recent gang fights with deaths involved, but also very few one on one scuffles.

Now, I'm sure all this stuff still happens. But the huge police presence pushes it out of sight. Unless you look for it, you may never know it's there. A casual visitor to bike week, sees Italian sausages, tee-shirts and pins. And a bunch of dentists and accountants dressed up like tough guys.
jrc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2006, 08:47 AM   #15
Weirs guy

Quote:
Originally Posted by jrc
All of the public nudity is gone. Most of the public drinking is gone, (still a lot of public drunkeness). I see a lot less motorcycle antics, like wheelies and burnouts. I see a lot less fighting, thankfully no recent gang fights with deaths involved, but also very few one on one scuffles.
Ah, the good old days.....

Now?
Weirs guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2006, 06:25 AM   #16
baja-mama

Default No problem finding dock space at the Weirs

We had no problem yesterday finding dock space around 10am. Here's how it looked when we left around noon.
Attached Images

baja-mama is offline   Reply With Quote