Go Back   Winnipesaukee Forum > Winnipesaukee Forums > Boating
Home Forums Gallery Webcams Blogs YouTube Channel Classifieds Calendar Register FAQDonate Members List Today's Posts

Old 07-03-2013, 10:45 AM   #1
bigdog

Default Gas disposal and missing gas?

Continued from a previous thread.....

Gas disposal?
Just found out my town's DPW will be having 2 hazardous waste removal days over the summer, and will take gas, any quantity, no questions asked ! Also found a DPW employee who will take my gas, no questions, and says he will burn in his farm tractor.
Until I can discard the gas by one of the methods just described, going to continue to use my auxiliary gas tank, as it seem to work fine!

Speaking of which.........
After recently running the boat, I put back on trailer, and dragged back to storage facility. Several days later, I went back to the boat to check on some things...... I picked up the auxiliary gas tank, and it was empty ! It should has still had at least 2/3 gas left in tank! I told the storage facility manager about this, and they said it may have been stolen, as earlier in the season, another boat owner reported stolen gas, and electronics off his boat.

OK, stolen gas.... Can understand why someone doing that with the cost of gas ....
But why didn't the thief just tank the tank and all ? A thief with principals ?

Anyway was talking to my local marine tech, and happened to mention about what I though a gas theft. He asked me if my OB engine was tilted in the 'up' position? I always store engine in this position, so do most other folks.
He stated that the gas could have actually drained out through the engine as a result of a possible stuck needle valve in one of the carbs? He said he's seen this happen before. Now I'm talking a VERY knowledgeable marine tech, with a well respected name
in the lakes region, who really knows his stuff !

I've never heard of gas leakage in this manner? Is this possible?
So if this is true, then placing the engine in the 'down' position would not have drained the gas? Doesn't make sense to me?

Assuming I do have a stuck needle valve in carb? How does one 'unstick'? Seafoam? FYI, I previously cleaned all 4 carbs with carb spray cleaner thoroughly, short of taking carbs out of engine.

Last.......
NTS, when one buys a used boat, do all your homework first, and get a qualified marine tech to assess, before making the purchase.

Should have held on to last boat, as I worked all the bugs out of that one before I sold it !

Thanks for your feedback as always.......

Bigdog
bigdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2013, 02:19 PM   #2
Dave R

I would pump the bad gas into your portable tank and leave it in the boat; two birds, one stone...
Dave R is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Dave R For This Useful Post:
ITD (07-03-2013), VitaBene (07-03-2013)
Old 07-03-2013, 03:32 PM   #3
Dave R

As far as stuck float valves go, I seriously doubt there's any way the gas could leak out that way unless you were somehow able to get the gas can above the level of the carbs. Also, One would think that a puddle of that much gas would leave quite a stench.
Dave R is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Dave R For This Useful Post:
upthesaukee (07-03-2013)
Old 07-04-2013, 07:34 AM   #4
bigdog

DaveR,

I was thinking the same, even putting up a sign on my gas filler cap "Free Gas, Help Yourselves" !

Now if I was really spiteful and wanted payback to the thieves, I'd remove my good gas in auxillary tank and replace with another tank filled with gas and lacquer thinner....

What you said about gas leaking out of motor makes sense..... Tank would have to seem to be above the carbs. for that to happen?
However, there was a definite stench of gas present, although non could be seen on the pavement. But we've had torrential downpours that could have easily washed away signs of gas spill. I know it will be a pain, but in the future just going to remove the aux. tank after using boat.

Thanks,
Bigdog
bigdog is offline   Reply With Quote