Go Back   Winnipesaukee Forum > Winnipesaukee Forums > Home, Cottage or Land Maintenance
Home Forums Gallery Webcams Blogs YouTube Channel Classifieds Calendar Register FAQDonate Members List Today's Posts

Old 07-27-2011, 01:03 PM   #1
Lucky1

Default My house on the lake..........

Is a two bedroom ranch with a finished walk out basement and attached garage. I do find that the bottom floor needs a dehumidifier as it is not far from the water's edge? I am not sure if the wood on the outside ( T1 11 or something) is just awful or too old or gets too much moisture from the lake? I want something that is better around water and have seen some using the cement boards here. That is why I wrote to ask if anyone knew anything about the product and did get a nice response but the thread was moved so I hope this is OK to post so I can learn more.

Last edited by Lucky1; 07-27-2011 at 01:13 PM. Reason: trying to delete
Lucky1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2011, 03:55 PM   #2
MAXUM

Thanked 1,942 Times in 802 Posts

I'd wrap the house with Tyvek and put up vinyl siding. If necessary consider at the time you do this if the exterior walls are providing sufficient insulation, if not once the house is down to the sheathing you could install some foam insulation panels to help tighten the house up some.

That is also the time to consider window replacement much easier to do with the house stripped to the sheathing.

Some say that vinyl looks cheap, maybe but it also doesn't rot or chip need to be scraped, painted, or stained. Every once in a while hit it where needed with a power washer and you're good. If it get's damaged it's very easy to repair or replace a damaged section.
MAXUM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2011, 04:19 PM   #3
BroadHopper

Thanked 1,090 Times in 784 Posts
Default Vinyl siding

It does look cheap and damages easily. I would keep scrap in case.
Also bird droppings must be wash off immediately. They can stain your sidings.

I use fibrecrete with fantastic results. Some have 50 year warrantee against chipping, peeling and fading.
Old 07-27-2011, 09:19 PM   #4
Greene's Basin Girl

Lucky1--- You may want to improve the outside of your house, but remember you have a one in a million view and a wonderful private beach on your property. It is a wonderful waterfront lot.
Greene's Basin Girl is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Greene's Basin Girl For This Useful Post:
Lucky1 (07-28-2011)
Old 07-28-2011, 08:53 AM   #5
Lucky1

Fortunately this house was built in 1979 AFTER THE ENERGY CRISIS and has wonderful double paned Anderson Windows and tons of insulation in the walls as it really holds the heat. This is the 2 bedroom ranch part. The downstairs was finished sometime later by previous owners and a breezeway and connected garage were added. Those areas DO NOT have the double paned Anderson windows and Anderson sliders etc. All of the house has the T1 11 siding on the outside etc. It is rotting on the bottom and the tops areas where snow collects.
I have to replace the 1979 roof!! I could let the siding go if I do not have time to do it this year but would like to do it all if I can. They are saying that they will not insure the house without a new roof. So far there have been no roof problems that I know about at least. There are thick panels of insulation on top of the floor of the attic that is a low pitch. There is a crawl space and one has to get a ladder and put it in the back of the closet to get up there. There are no stairs to it. I have managed to get there before and maybe will try it again. That would show if there was any water any where but nothing on any ceiling. I know it needs a roof for sure as they did not make 30 year roofs like they do now back in 1979!!!!

I do not think vinal siding is what I would use at this stage of my life. I am not young so I likely will not outlive the cement but need to know which ones to use. And it would be a good time to do both if there was time so they could plan any changes etc. I would like a larger pitch to the roof but that may cost too much with all of the other things. I just do not know what to do and have little time in which to do it.
Sponsored Links
Old 07-28-2011, 09:00 AM   #6
Lucky1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Green's Basin Girl View Post
Lucky1--- You may want to improve the outside of your house, but remember you have a one in a million view and a wonderful private beach on your property. It is a wonderful waterfront lot.
Thanks GBG! I do have beautiful views of mountains. crystal clear water that moves and a natural sand beach that I do love. Don't put any sand in the water as it comes to me!!! I am not complaining, but there is work to be done on my simple home! I am too old for a tent so want to preserve the house See you when you return. Am going to the Forum Fest for my second year!