Go Back   Winnipesaukee Forum > Winnipesaukee Forums > Home, Cottage or Land Maintenance
Home Forums Gallery Webcams Blogs YouTube Channel Classifieds Calendar Register FAQDonate Members List Today's Posts

Old 02-04-2011, 04:21 PM   #1
Soapmistress

Default Internet service ???

Hi Everybody,

Well, it looks like it will be at least April before I can get my business up and running again. Due to another unexpected move but hey the new house is a dream, with a HUGE basement for me to set my shop up, so that's a good thing

However.....I need a really good, high speed internet service provider, and was just curious what most folks around here use. Wireless ? Broadband ? Average cost ?

We will be moving to our new house the 1st of March and I want to go ahead and get things organized. Any advice or comments, appreciated.

Colleen
Soapmistress is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2011, 04:25 PM   #2
TOAD

Quote:
Originally Posted by Soapmistress View Post
Hi Everybody,

Well, it looks like it will be at least April before I can get my business up and running again. Due to another unexpected move but hey the new house is a dream, with a HUGE basement for me to set my shop up, so that's a good thing

However.....I need a really good, high speed internet service provider, and was just curious what most folks around here use. Wireless ? Broadband ? Average cost ?

We will be moving to our new house the 1st of March and I want to go ahead and get things organized. Any advice or comments, appreciated.

Colleen
Moving in on my birthday...ya big lucky....

Did you build and if so where?
"Government is not reason, it is not eloquence, it is force; like fire, a troublesome servant and a fearful master. Never for a moment should it be left to irresponsible action.....Unknown....but attributed to George Washington
TOAD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2011, 05:49 PM   #3
Soapmistress

Quote:
Originally Posted by TOAD View Post
Moving in on my birthday...ya big lucky....

Did you build and if so where?
Oh I wish ! No, but a sweet little house on Red Hill, surrounded by 67 acres of BEAUTY. I can smell the chocolate mint, basil, and lemon balm growing already
Old 02-04-2011, 06:10 PM   #4
TOAD

Quote:
Originally Posted by Soapmistress View Post
Oh I wish ! No, but a sweet little house on Red Hill, surrounded by 67 acres of BEAUTY. I can smell the chocolate mint, basil, and lemon balm growing already
67 acres! WOW!

So like where is Red Hill? I can smell the stuff to.
"Government is not reason, it is not eloquence, it is force; like fire, a troublesome servant and a fearful master. Never for a moment should it be left to irresponsible action.....Unknown....but attributed to George Washington
TOAD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2011, 06:36 PM   #5
RLW

Wish I could help ya out with your original question, but I have no idea what is offered in that area. I use MetroCast and find it OK for myself as a normal residential customer, but may not be for someone using it for a fast growing business.
Old 02-05-2011, 08:18 AM   #6
winnipiseogee

I've used a number of providers and have been really pleased with Metrocast. The business rate is $99/month which I think is a little pricey but the service really is great. When you have an issue with your internet the are insanely responsive. I tried satellite internet a couple of years ago up here and it was a nightmare.

Good luck with the new business!
winnipiseogee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2011, 09:16 AM   #7
Sue Doe-Nym

If you want cable you have no choice in Moultonborough, it will be Time Warner. Do you know if your particular road already has service available? Sheridan Road, for example, is close to Red Hill but does not have cable on much or any of it.

Good luck!
Sue Doe-Nym is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2011, 11:09 AM   #8
patman

What do you want to do with the internet connection? That's going to make a difference on what you should look for.

If you're going to host a web server at your house, you're going to want a business-level service. That's overkill for a small business though, so you probably don't need more than a residential connection.

If you are going to use broadband, around here that's going to tie you to whatever cable co services your town. Time Warner was mentioned for m'boro, so that's probably your only choice. Internet only with TW in my town is currently $54.95/mo, they discount it $5 if you get even a basic TV package. There are some other larger packages if you are interested in that sort of thing. As mentioned above, make sure there is cable available on your road...AND check out the price of having the wire strung from the road to the house, especially if you have a long driveway.

DSL usually isn't an option because the area is so rural. There's a physical limit to how far away your house can be from the telco's switch, and that usually only covers a few houses around here. Worth a check though.

You said 'wireless', so I'm assuming you mean cell or satellite by that. Satellite has a horrible lag and upload speed, and it's usually fairly expensive as it is aimed at customers have no other choice. Cell is slower than broadband, but sometimes isn't a bad deal especially if you get service at your house, and you were going to get it anyway. Cell sometimes has traffic caps, so you do have to watch out that you don't overspend your data traffic allowance.

I leave the hosting of your website to some hosting service (I use the www.lunarpages.com basic package for $5/mo.) and let them worry about the bandwidth, maintenance, and connectivity stuff. Then I use my local service (TW) to retrieve email from the hosting site, and I'm set.

If you use a hosting service, you can set up your website once, and access it from anywhere...so you don't have to wait for your (eventual) home service to get set up before you work on your website.
patman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2011, 11:29 AM   #9
Soapmistress

Quote:
Originally Posted by patman View Post
What do you want to do with the internet connection? That's going to make a difference on what you should look for.

If you're going to host a web server at your house, you're going to want a business-level service. That's overkill for a small business though, so you probably don't need more than a residential connection.

If you are going to use broadband, around here that's going to tie you to whatever cable co services your town. Time Warner was mentioned for m'boro, so that's probably your only choice. Internet only with TW in my town is currently $54.95/mo, they discount it $5 if you get even a basic TV package. There are some other larger packages if you are interested in that sort of thing. As mentioned above, make sure there is cable available on your road...AND check out the price of having the wire strung from the road to the house, especially if you have a long driveway.

DSL usually isn't an option because the area is so rural. There's a physical limit to how far away your house can be from the telco's switch, and that usually only covers a few houses around here. Worth a check though.

You said 'wireless', so I'm assuming you mean cell or satellite by that. Satellite has a horrible lag and upload speed, and it's usually fairly expensive as it is aimed at customers have no other choice. Cell is slower than broadband, but sometimes isn't a bad deal especially if you get service at your house, and you were going to get it anyway. Cell sometimes has traffic caps, so you do have to watch out that you don't overspend your data traffic allowance.

I leave the hosting of your website to some hosting service (I use the www.lunarpages.com basic package for $5/mo.) and let them worry about the bandwidth, maintenance, and connectivity stuff. Then I use my local service (TW) to retrieve email from the hosting site, and I'm set.

If you use a hosting service, you can set up your website once, and access it from anywhere...so you don't have to wait for your (eventual) home service to get set up before you work on your website.

Oh myyyyyyyyy. Well, I wish I was more savy with the computer lingo, but I'll give it a whirl.

GoDaddy is the host for my website. And Edit.com is my web content management site.

My fiance currently has wireless, and I don't care for it much because sometimes the signal is down ( not for long ) but if I need to print shipping labels thru paypal to get packages to the PO on time, 15 - 20 down time can ruin a good day, especially when customers expect a turnaround time of 3 days from the time they placed their order. I'm a real stickler for this

When I moved up here, I removed the pricing on the website, which then closed the numerous pictures that are normally up. I also download alot of files, pictures, to the computer, and take a lot of product pictures to download, and then upload .....how do you know if you're downloading or uploading ?

I need service that is reliable 24/7 as all orders are placed via the internet/website.....and forwards copies of all orders to my gmail address.

I really appreciate everyone's comments

Colleen
Old 02-07-2011, 05:42 PM   #10
songkrai

Not sure if cable goes to where you are. Cable does not go everywhere here.

Cable broadband is the best. Some use Fairpoint DSL. And then there is satellite. All are slower or more expensive then cable.

Sadly, many of the selectboards signed 15 year contracts with the cable companies without any promise for total town coverage. So if this address does not have cable - you may never get it.

Good Luck.
songkrai is offline   Reply With Quote