Go Back   Winnipesaukee Forum > Winnipesaukee Forums > General Discussion
Home Forums Gallery Webcams Blogs YouTube Channel Classifieds Calendar Register FAQDonate Members List Today's Posts

Old 06-19-2010, 05:28 AM   #1
VitaBene

Thanked 1,609 Times in 823 Posts
Default LBW Fatalities

Two riders have died this week, one in Campton Thursday and the other on Roller Coaster Rd yesterday. My condolences to their families and friends.

If you are on a bike please be careful and mindful of the centerline.

Ride safe everyone!
VitaBene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2010, 05:57 AM   #2
Slickcraft

Thanked 2,016 Times in 922 Posts

Very sad to have this happen, will be heartbreaking for his family and friends.

We were out yesterday and it did get very congested with long back-ups at the Weirs and in Meredith. We also took the Rollercoaster road bail out to get back home via Laconia and one could be tempted to hit the gas after being stopped for so long.

The vast majority of bikers here are pretty careful but a minor mental lapse can do it. As VB said, ride safe and stay alert.
Slickcraft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2010, 07:16 PM   #3
RI Swamp Yankee

Sadly, it seems that there is one or more fatalities every year during Bike Week. I think a "perfect" Bike Week would be one with no fatalities.

As said previously, Be Safe.
Old 06-19-2010, 08:53 PM   #4
Meredith Resident

Quote:
Originally Posted by RI Swamp Yankee View Post
Sadly, it seems that there is one or more fatalities every year during Bike Week. I think a "perfect" Bike Week would be one with no fatalities.

Sounds like there was another death today in Meredith, and possibly two more this evening in Laconia, although there is never confirmation of death on the scanner.
Meredith Resident is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2010, 11:26 PM   #5
VitaBene

Quote:
Originally Posted by RI Swamp Yankee View Post

Agreed, I can't wait for that to happen.
Sponsored Links
Old 06-20-2010, 05:19 AM   #6
Belmont Resident

Default I'm not surprised

Usually I’m on the lake during bike weekend but this year I’m building a porch at our house so I was forced to be out and about.
Several times I drove down the bypass to the Gilford Lowes and each time I was reminded of why I dislike bike week.
2 bikers getting on at 11A both cut right in front of me, 15 feet in front of a bone crushing F-350 Super duty, in passing lane even, although right lane was empty of traffic.
Down at the Gilford end they decided to pass the people who had slowed down to 40 in a 35 zone to exit the bypass. Both then bikers passed traffic in the breakdown lane only to go under the bypass and pull into Wal-Mart.
I can’t even begin to tell you how many bikers are driving over the yellow line riding side by side instead of staggered.
Then another time going up the bypass 3 bikes doing 55 blocked both lanes not allowing anyone to pass.
Someone in Lowes was saying he witnessed bikers driving down the sidewalk to get around traffic. He did not say what town.
The Laconia police chief was interviewed on TV, he said almost all of the accidents and fatalities associated with bike week are either related to speed, alcohol or both.
Me I’m just glad no innocent bystanders were hurt.
Belmont Resident is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2010, 05:44 AM   #7
karen47

Default bikers

I had to go from Meredith to Gilford and I took Parade road and I can not belive the way all the bikers ride up on the yellow line, the whole ride over I had to drive way close to the edge of the road on the right so I did not clip one of these guys. Well at least its over for another year.
karen47 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2010, 06:01 AM   #8
The Eagle

Default Why, why, WHY?

Hi Karen,
After reading your post, it reminds me of what I have been asking myself for years. I LOVE bike week, the rour of a HarleyDavidson group sailing past, (even though I do not ride a motorcycle) the sound, and the look of the freedom to ride one is something I do admire. BUT...I to, keep asking WHY do they have to ride with their tires "right on the yellow lines," and their legs crossing over into the other lanes, and they never "think" to move over when an on coming car or SUV approaches from the other direction..especially on back roads! The back roads are narrow enough, and when you come around a curve and a "bike" is "hanging ten" on the yellow line, my heart drops. I know the Motorcycle driving schools teach them, the "middle of the road is best to ride, because any "oil" (dripped by autos) would be in the center of the travel lane. Perhaps that's true, but it's not an oil slick, and even so, when you see an on coming vehicle, return a courtsey, and give them room as well. It's also just plain common sene. Add to that, high speed, a couple beers, and the rest is headlines. I'll always love "Bike Week," but will never understand that reasoning! Ride safe, drive carefully, and "Watch out for Motorcycles!"
"The Eagle"
The Eagle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2010, 06:08 AM   #9
Slickcraft

OK so this has turned onto a trash the bikers thread, too bad.

I have been safely riding for 33 years, not an unusual record as all the riders that I know also ride safe. I have had about ten close encounters over those years with every single one the result of the actions of a driver of a 4 wheeler. Most were a cut in front of me and one an intentional attempt to crowd us off the road. In all those years I never had a close call due to another biker.

Now driving a car in the cities to the south is something that does unnerve me.
Old 06-20-2010, 07:50 AM   #10
Argie's Wife

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slickcraft View Post
OK so this has turned onto a trash the bikers thread, too bad.
I respectfully disagree that this is about trashing bikers because I don't see any "all inclusive" statements like "all bikers are _____" or "they all do ____".

I think some posters are speaking about situations they've been in but haven't 'bashed' anyone... it's sad that a couple of bad apples or bad drivers have made folks skiddish but... well... what can I say? I've had some run-ins, too, but I also know some excellent, safe motorcycle drivers. I don't lump 'em all together and I don't think anyone else here is, either.

I'm a pretty cautious driver because I usually have kids with me. I also get nervous on the road when I encounter a large group that is riding the yellow line. I've learned to take the back roads when I think it's gonna be busy. No big deal. But sometimes there's bikes on those little roads.... on some of the back country roads, with lots of twists and turns, I too have concerns about safety. The fact I have someone coming very close to my vehicle and they aren't in a steel cage like I am - yeah, I get over for 'em and most certainly don't want an accident.

There are some reckless drivers - whether it's motorcycles or with cars. It's the reason the emergency rooms at the local hospitals up their staffing and have extra people on-call.

Be safe. Look twice and look again.

Peace.
Argie's Wife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2010, 08:24 AM   #11
The Eagle

Default It is NOT Trash Bikers!

Dear Slickcraft,
WHERE did my thread turn into a "Trash Biker Thread?" It was more a thread to "point out a dangerous situtaion," that MANY drivers encounter. My son rides a Harley, and just completed a 3712 mile journey going from Niagra Fall to Nashville, and back, with three friend on their Bikes. So do I "Trash my son?" You say you have never encountered an "close caused by another biker?" Here's some news for you, Three years ago, there was an accident in Moultonboro, a bit up from Buckey's, when two groups of bikers (going in opposite directions) Hit head on, caused by "Yellow line Riders," (hit "Head on" mind you) and, If my memory serves me correctly, three were killed and five injured. So does a "subborn Yellow Line rider," cause accidents? You tell us! You can ask people to "Watch out for Bikes," and we all do, but when ANYONE (bikers or anyone else) HOGS the road, it's asking for trouble. I am very offended you tried to turn my "SAFETY point" into a "Trash the biker thread!" Shame on YOU!
"The Eagle"
Old 06-20-2010, 08:35 AM   #12
karen47

Default trashing bikers

I know I certainly did not trash any bikers, I own a business in Meredith and I cant wait till there all up here, it helps all of us especially after the winter we have had up here because of the economy, all I said was I am driving a 5000 pd car and if a biker is riding the yellow line I dont want to clip him, what a horrible feeling that would be, and I am a very cautious driver always have been. What I am saying is just within the last few years they seem to be riding the yellow line a lot more than they used to. Thats why when we get into bike week I try to do everything I have to before they get here and I try to stay off the roads.
karen47 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2010, 08:37 AM   #13
Slickcraft

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Eagle View Post
Dear Slickcraft,
WHERE did my thread turn into a "Trash Biker Thread?" It was more a thread to "point out a dangerous situtaion," that MANY drivers encounter. My son rides a Harley, and just completed a 3712 mile journey going from Niagra Fall to Nashville, and back, with three friend on their Bikes. So do I "Trash my son?" You say you have never encountered an "close caused by another biker?" Here's some news for you, Three years ago, there was an accident in Moultonboro, a bit up from Buckey's, when two groups of bikers (going in opposite directions) Hit head on, caused by "Yellow line Riders," (hit "Head on" mind you) and, If my memory serves me correctly, three were killed and five injured. So does a "subborn Yellow Line rider," cause accidents? You tell us! You can ask people to "Watch out for Bikes," and we all do, but when ANYONE (bikers or anyone else) HOGS the road, it's asking for trouble. I am very offended you tried to turn my "SAFETY point" into a "Trash the biker thread!" Shame on YOU!
"The Eagle"
Eagle,
I had not seen your post which was posted while I was writing mine, was responding to the previous two. This thread was originally about a sad tragedy.
Slickcraft
Old 06-20-2010, 09:02 AM   #14
VitaBene

Default Captain B is Captain B regardless of vehicle

Ok, let's take a step back for a minute. My take is that it does not matter whether you are on 4 wheels, 2 wheels or a boat, if you are a poor or inconsiderate driver those traits follow.

Because here are thousands of bikes around this weekend we are just seeing more Captain Boneheads, these ones are just riding this weekend!

There is no reason to ride on or over the centerline even when riding side by side (which I do when riding with select riding partners).

Be safe out there.
The Following User Says Thank You to VitaBene For This Useful Post:
angela4design (06-20-2010)
Old 06-20-2010, 09:04 AM   #15
Heaven

Riding the yellow line is a technique used for two reasons that I am aware of. First, a lone biker behind a car will want to be seen by any on-coming traffic that might turn left (cut left as some do) after the leading car passes, and in front of a biker. Second, in a large group, the first rider stays out to the line to "push" on-coming traffic to the middle or outside of their lane, in a sense giving them a "heads up" to leave room. Neither of those is what I have seen this weekend were every inside biker has a leg over the line. I don't think either technique was developed in order to play "chicken" with on-coming traffic, which seems like what has happened. In any case, I move over. No skin off of my back to give way. I have loved this week, the bikes, and the beautiful thunder.
Heaven is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Heaven For This Useful Post:
Flylady (06-20-2010), ishoot308 (06-20-2010), VitaBene (06-20-2010)
Old 06-20-2010, 09:20 AM   #16
The Eagle

Default Apology accepted

Dear Slickcraft,
Apology accepted! I did go back and re-read the previous threads you were refering too, but to be honest, in reading them, it does not appear to have be trashing Bikers, but pointing out a very dangerous situtation that we have all encountered, wether it be a biker riding a yellow line, or an SUV, too close or over the yellow lines, or anyone (thing) else that is "hogging the road." It's dangerous, it's far to common, and for some unkown reason, there are many people (especially bikers..no offense, intended) that feel they have the right to "push the limit" on what they do, and everyone else should "Get out of the way." Not ALL bikers, but far too many, who feel they are indestructable. Just remember, there are probably (most likely) people coming at you, on bikes, in an SUV or , car, or pick-up truck, or 18 wheeler, that think the same way! (lot's of idiots out there). As my grandfather taught me, "Two wrongs, don't make it right!" And it's Better to be Safe, than "Dead" Wrong!
"The Eagle"
Old 06-20-2010, 09:39 AM   #17
Belmont Resident

Default not trashing all bikers either

I own and ride a bike as do my 2 grown sons. Nothing fancy, a KLR650 which gets me to and from the job site. We all wear helmets, I for one will not ride with anyone who does not. A personal preference on my part.
I did actually see a group of bikers stop and let an old lady pull out which was nice to see.
But I will have to say that over all I saw more bikers driving lets say more aggressively than need be than I did not.
As for the whole drive over or near the yellow line, that is a bunch of BS. If you leave enough distance between yourself and the vehicle your following oncoming traffic will have plenty of time to see you, and you will have enough time to react to a situation.
If you have to poke yourself out then you are probably traveling to close. This is something I notice happening at any time of the biking season. Yes there are cars tailgating bikes, which is just plan stupid because a car can’t hope to stop as quickly as a bike can.
I always look in my rear view and prepare to dive over to the right whenever I’m in traffic and have to apply my breaks hard.
Ride safe, have fun.
Not sure if it was me or not but I noticed more bikers wearing helmets this year than ever before. I've noticed this even before bike week started.
Belmont Resident is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2010, 09:45 AM   #18
Slickcraft

Default the yellow line

Here is the the text of a post I made last year in response to general concerns about side by side and yellow line riding:

http://www.winnipesaukee.com/forums/...ead.php?t=7951

Quote:
If you look closely at bikers traveling in a group at highway speed there are normally two staggered rows of bikes. One row with wheels about were a car left wheels run and a row about where a car right wheels run. But the rows are normally staggered at speed so any one bike has emergency left to right space. When slowing or stopping the staggering normally goes away. A few bikers will ride side by side at speed and I agree this is unsafe. My wife and I have ridden in many groups over the years and the bike rows have always been staggered at speed.

I have taken both a basic riding class (long ago) and in recent years an experienced riders course. As a defensive measure, a single bike should ride on the left side of the travel lane on a two way undivided highway (about where a car left wheel rides). Riding on the right side invites car drivers to try to pass you in the left side of your lane. So riding on the left side “claims” you space in the lane. The middle of the travel lane is where the oil, pavement cracks, etc exist.

While many bikers do in fact crowd the center line, most are riding where a car left wheel would travel. And, I’ll add, most of us are responsible riders.
The Following User Says Thank You to Slickcraft For This Useful Post:
Heaven (06-20-2010)
Old 06-20-2010, 04:40 PM   #19
Lakepilot

First, let me say I ride a motorcycle. I read all the of last years comments about bikers and the center line and when I saw this years comments I made a concerted effort to watch the bikers this year to see if these comments were true.

When a car or truck is coming towards you, your focus is one the center of mass of the vehicle. I made an effort to consciously look at their fender nearest the center of the road. It's pretty close on some of our roads.

I did the same thing with bikes. When you see a rider near the center line you focus on the center of their mass and it is striking how far towards the center it seems. But I didn't see any body parts over the line.

I've been riding for years (never an accident and only two scares caused by cars) and have never been "taught" any of the things about riding on the center line that are being referred to here. I don't know anyone that wants to play chicken with a car or truck.
Lakepilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2010, 05:22 PM   #20
NoBozo

Default I am a "Motorcyclist"

I've been riding since 1979. As stated in another forum....I have 250,000 Miles of Touring. Profiling down the boulevard to me is not riding. I am not a Biker. I am a Motorcyclist. I ride a motorcycle for pleasure. I don't ride a motorcycle to Look Good. I wear leather for protection in case I Go Down.... Not because leather looks good. Maybe I am an exception.

No offence to "Bikers". Everyone has their own thing and I don't intend to intrude on that. NB
NoBozo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2010, 05:33 PM   #21
WakeboardMom

Quote:
Originally Posted by NoBozo View Post
I've been riding since 1979. As stated in another forum....I have 250,000 Miles of Touring. Profiling down the boulevard to me is not riding. I am not a Biker. I am a Motorcyclist. I ride a motorcycle for pleasure. I don't ride a motorcycle to Look Good. I wear leather for protection in case I [I]Go Down....[/I] Not because leather looks good. Maybe I am an exception.

No offence to "Bikers". Everyone has their own thing and I don't intend to intrude on that. NB
Do you wear a helmet? I'm just curious because this weekend I observed several motorcycle-riders who were wearing leather jackets, but not a helmet. I find that interesting; that they would protect arms and torso in case they "go down;" but don't seem as concerned about their heads.
Old 06-20-2010, 06:33 PM   #22
NoBozo

Quote:
Originally Posted by WakeboardMom View Post
Do you wear a helmet? I'm just curious because this weekend I observed several motorcycle-riders who were wearing leather jackets, but not a helmet. I find that interesting; that they would protect arms and torso in case they "go down;" but don't seem as concerned about their heads.
Good Point: YES: I and my wife always wear a Full Face helmet and leather.

I think it was 1985..we were riding across the Mohave Desert.. It was July 2. I remember the date because when we arrived at the Grand Canyon on July 4 it was 100 degrees. Anywho.. We always wear "Heavy Leather"...not the thin "Decorater" leather that many riders wear.

The Mohave was 115 Degrees at 11:00 AM. We still wore the gloves, heavy leather...and full face helmets..Jeans and western boots.

In the desert there is an additional benefit to Wearing...IF you are bare armed..you will DEHYDRATE in very short order...and you won't even know it until you get to the motel that night. The results of that are NOT pleasent.

We found out.. not in the Mohave but earlier in Idaho.... same trip. It was hot..but not like the Mohave.. and my wife went without the leather jacket for maybe two hours. We were shut down for two days on the Columbia River in a motel....we didn't know what was wrong until we saw a TV segment on dehydration in bycycle riders. BINGO..Start drinking water babe. Now we carry water on the bike.

We did 11,700 miles on that trip in five weeks. Those where the days. We don't ride anymore. NB
NoBozo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2010, 10:58 PM   #23
trfour

Default The Good News About Helmet Heads...

Leather will, and protect you from what many have survived, [ The ride on a highway that you never expected, called After the scene ], ROAD RASH!!... No Helmet equates to more deaths in motorcycle accidents +, than any other scenario.
Now, picture this...

trfour was riding his 750 superSport SSHO back from winter storage one year late at night when he was forced off into the breakdown lane by an inconsiderate auto that apparently didn't see or know who I was--.
Side note, At the time I looked pretty good in a helmet too! I will only tell you all that helmet and all was only saved on that night in New Hampshire by snow, of all things. The guardrails were still steeped in and under snow. The problem?... The breakdown lane was solid ice. Well, I broke her down to about 55 MPG, as our beloved RG would say.

I am alive and very well to this very day, but if I hadn't been 'weiring a helmet, my comments above could be in the spaghetti section of the Restaurant Information and Reviews! I was able to shoulder the bike back up and rode home, riding over the bridge expansion areas was painful, however I made it back home. When I decided to go to my doctor, about a week later, he told me that I had more broken ribs than any trackosaurusRex that he had ever seen!!... So I told him I said, Doc, Don't ever ask to be put on my PR team!

Terry

Always Remember, The Best Safety Device In The Boat, or on a PWC Snowmobile etc., Is YOU!

Safe sledding tips and much more; http://www.snowmobile.org/snowmobiling-safety.html
trfour is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2010, 07:21 AM   #24
chipj29

Condolences to those that lost their lives enjoying our fine state.
I am sure everyone of us can cite an example of poor motorcyle driving that we witnessed in the past week. I see all kinds of poor driving of vehicles of all types on I-93 as I commute it daily. I usually enjoy my drives north during the week of LBW, as I like seeing the different kinds of bikes and all their gear. However, this past Thursday, I was coming home during a long commute. It was raining, traffic was very slow from I-495 all the way up to Concord. After I went by Exit 5 in Londonderry, I saw not 1, not 2, not even 3...but 4 bikes in a group driving in the breakdown lane to get around traffic. I didn't even see them coming up until they passed me. And no, I didn't hear them either if you know what I mean. All it would take is for someone to not see them coming and pull into the breakdown lane at the last second and you would have had a real tragedy.

We already have laws against driving in the breakdown lane. But not only is this illegal, but it is STUPID. Probably one of the dumbest things a motorcyclist can do. Talk about putting yourself and your passenger in danger.

BTW, I have been riding since 1991.
Old 06-21-2010, 08:33 AM   #25
Justenuff

Default Saturday Traffic

I was stuck in the traffic between Meredith and the Weirs on Saturday around 1 pm. Although the traffic was thick and stop and go, it moved. It was just the volume of people and bikes that slowed everyone down. Once in the Weirs, the throngs of people and the warmth made my experience much less than desired, so we left after about an hour.
I was on two wheels and went around Alton Bay to get back to Ossipee and on 28A, I almost got sideswiped by a truck coming over the double yellow line. I was in the middle of the travel lane, but still almost got taken out. The truck was going too fast in the curves.
I also experienced the "line riders" as well. I guess, as with all aspects of life, there are people who will follow the rules, and rule benders. It's the saddest when the two "collide".
With the volume of people in the area over the weekend, it's a good thing that there weren't more incidents.
Justenuff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2010, 12:57 PM   #26
SIKSUKR

Well once again tragedy has struck somebody I know at the lake. First on a boat, this time on a motorcycle. The accident on Rollercoaster Road claimed the life of my friends son. So sorry Stu and Jo. You're in my thoughts.:
Old 06-22-2010, 01:09 PM   #27
VitaBene

Default So sorry

Sik,

I am sorry for your loss, my condolences to you and your friend's family.