Go Back   Winnipesaukee Forum > Winnipesaukee Forums > Boating
Home Forums Gallery Webcams Blogs YouTube Channel Classifieds Calendar Register FAQDonate Members List Today's Posts

Old 08-29-2004, 05:28 PM   #1
itchin for fishin

Question Wake Boarding

I was at Parafunalia (sp?) the other day buying a new pair of water skies when I asked about wakeboarding. Seems to me that's all I'm seeing now. Slalom skiers are few and far between. So here's the question....

How hard is this wake boarding? I can still 2 ski water ski without any problems although I think my slalom ski days are over. Has anyone tried it and how did you learn?

The boat speed of 20 mph make it sound safe enough and I'm not planning on FLL video taping me doing flips on Merideth Bay.
itchin for fishin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2004, 10:27 AM   #2
CentreHarborEric

Default New to wakeboarding

I was a dyed in the wool slalom guy, competed in tournaments as a kid, etc. Bought a wakeboard @ Parafunalia this summer and have been about 70% wakeboard 30% slalom since. Better in my opinion for rougher water (weekends are my main time, unfortunately), and fun. Getting up could take some time to learn, but I think most anyone with a sense for waterskiing will get it, snowboarding experience will really help. Let me know if you need anything else.
CentreHarborEric is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2004, 10:33 AM   #3
robjnh

Default Give it a try

I would put it between 2 skis and 1 ski in terms of how hard it is to get up.

The falls are harder than skiing IMO because it is very easy to catch the front edge and face plant. When skiing I will usually fall to the side and spin out. It is a lot of fun though and worth a try. I think Parafunalia rents board so you can give it a try. I would give it a couple days to get the hang of it.

There were some terrific wakeboarders on Winnisquam this weekend. They were in a blue Malibu. Not sure if the local dealer had a clinic or just some talented people renting for the week. Either way it was a great show.
robjnh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2004, 11:54 AM   #4
MAXUM

Thanked 1,942 Times in 802 Posts

I gave wakeboarding a try this year for the first time. I am a die hard skier myself. Getting up was a bit of a challenge, but once you figure that part out the rest is pretty easy, although the sensation of being on a board is a bit different. I really can't understand why the boards are so popular now guess it's just the "thing to do" these days, but I'll take a single ski any day over a board.

I will admit that the board is a bit better behaved on rough water, but I attribute that to the slow speed more than the physical difference between the board and a ski.

Suppose it all comes down to what you personally find most enjoyable.
MAXUM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2004, 09:38 AM   #5
Merrymeeting

Default Plug

It's too late for this year, but if you want to learn next year, Dave is one of the Lakes Region's own. His parents still live on Merrymeeting where he visits each summer. Lessons are offered while he is here and I believe he schedules time on the big lake too.

http://www.supraboats.com/team_dave.html

Last edited by Merrymeeting; 08-31-2004 at 09:46 AM. Reason: fix link
Merrymeeting is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 08-31-2004, 09:56 AM   #6
HALL N IT

Default wakeboarding

Rented my first wakeboard from Parafunalia in Gilford a few yeaers ago. Took some experimenting but my brother and law and I were able to get up. Now myself and 3 boys and my brother in law and his 2 boys and his wife own wakeboards. There's nothing like putting up a big wall of slalom water though, I still have to have that feeling once in a while.

Have the board sitting straight in front of you with rope over the board with knees bent. When you say hit it make sure the edge of the board is above the waterline and as you get up angle towards going out of the wake, this will help with stability and speed and aid you in getting up with less drag.

My 7 yr old got up on skiis and wakeboard 1st try this past vacation , there's no stopping him now.

If you want to chat more, e-mail me and I'll try and help more.

Good luck,
Gary
HALL N IT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2004, 12:18 AM   #7
gtxrider

Default Times have changed.

I cannot get my nephews to water ski! They will wake board and knee board but have no interest in water sking. I think it has to do with television and the EXTREME sports.

ESPN used to broadcast the Budwiser tour and I could watch some of the best slalom, jumping and trick skiers but all we see now are the wake boarders and Extreme Sports (X games)

When we were kids the "COOL GUYS" all skied. We could watch the Alton Bay H2O ski club jump in front of Sandy Point. There was always a large group of skiers on weekends at Sandy Point who skied all day. I was great because back then you ski right from the beach. I never could get the shallow water slalom start standing on one foot in knee deep water with lots of slack in the rope. I think I was a bit chicken.

Anyway kids don't know what they are missing.
gtxrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2004, 12:53 AM   #8
Rob

Quote:
Originally Posted by gtxrider
IWhen we were kids the "COOL GUYS" all skied.
When I was a kid, you either learned how to water ski or else! There were no alternative sports (with regards to being pulled behind the boat, that is), so it was pretty much, "Here's the skiis, don't let go of the rope...."

The 'new' sports, like wakeboarding, kneeboarding, tubing, and that 'air chair' thing that was all over Winter Harbor this summer seem like a lot of fun too. I find that we mostly use the tube to float around in when we are anchored somewhere. So basically, I spent $100 for the equivalent of that old $15 floating chaise lounge with styrofoam armrests.
Rob is offline   Reply With Quote