Go Back   Winnipesaukee Forum > Winnipesaukee Forums > General Discussion
Home Forums Gallery Webcams Blogs YouTube Channel Classifieds Calendar Register FAQDonate Members List Today's Posts

Old 04-16-2007, 07:22 PM   #1
dmjr

Default Storm Damage

Wow what a storm. How did everyone fair for damage? About the only thing that happened at my home on Sheridan Road in Moultonborough was that I had 3 feet of water in my basement, had to call the fire department for assistance. Hopefully another storm does come in next week.
Old 04-17-2007, 07:08 AM   #2
Sunbeam lodge

Default Storm damage

Does anyone have any information on ice damage to the docks and area on Veasey Shore. We usually get wave and wind damage from southeast storms.
I imagine all that loose ice would be pushed up into the area between Beaver Island and Veasey Shore. Bear Island Cam is down so I can't see if there is any ice left.
Sunbeam lodge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2007, 08:03 AM   #3
Bear Islander

The power is out on Bear Island and I would not expect it back on soon.

The Pine Island Cams and FairHavenCam show open water between Pine and Bear but there is ice further off.
Bear Islander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2007, 10:39 AM   #4
dpg

Quote:
Originally Posted by dmjr
Wow what a storm. How did everyone fair for damage? About the only thing that happened at my home on Sheridan Road in Moultonborough was that I had 3 feet of water in my basement, had to call the fire department for assistance. Hopefully another storm does come in next week.
About the only thing was 3 feet of water in your basement. Isn't that enough? you say it as if oh well, no big deal.
dpg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2007, 10:59 AM   #5
dmjr

3 feet of water is a big deal to me! When the water is just about ready to flood out the furnace and water pump.
Sponsored Links
Old 04-17-2007, 12:41 PM   #6
EricP

Default Meredith Docks

I saw damage to the docks in Meredith, looks like 2 of the docks were damaged out at the ends of them.
EricP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2007, 06:32 AM   #7
northforty

Default Brown water!?

The brown water on the Silver Sands ice out page -

http://www.nhboat.com/Features/daily_update_07.htm

is that huge run off mostly from a particular site, e.g. an underprotected construction site, or massive run off in general? Does any one know?
northforty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2007, 01:25 PM   #8
CanisLupusArctos

Default Winni now over-full, and other damage

During the storm, the Lake rose 12 inches according to graphs of the Weirs gauge maintained by NH DES (which also operates Lakeport Dam.) It is now officially in "flood" but is still below where it was last May.

At 8:00 this morning the lake reached 504.69 feet elevation (above sea level.)

Full lake level is 504.32 feet.

In response, the Lakeport Dam is discharging 1,440 cubic feet per second. They do not operate the dam at more than 1,100 CFS except for flood control (according to what they posted on their web site.)

There is still significant ice on the lake but it is *finally* the rotten sort of ice typical of spring. From Black Cat the edge of the ice appears to run from near Hawks Nest Is. to just east of Hull Island, and the ice extends to somewhere near Steamboat/5-Mile. There is also another patch of ice resting against the Meredith Shoreline along Rt. 25.

During the storm, the ice showed that is wasn't ready to go on its own yet. When it piled up on Black Cat Shoals it produced solid chunks of blue ice instead of the usual "gray needles" that are typical of spring.

Winds came from the east, without shift. At times on Sunday night, the 2-minute wind average reached 41 mph with frequent gusts to 55 mph. The peak wind was 64 mph at 6:58 a.m.

Waves hit the edge of the ice releasing small chunks that became airborne for a few feet at a time.

I did see some debris floating by during the storm, and one piece remains in the weathercam view.

The hardest-hit shores would've been any east-facing shores. The wind and ice did scrape sideways on shores facing south and north. There is a large uprooted pine tree resting on the oak that you see in the Black Cat weathercam, but the pine is resting above the cam's view.

Weather forecast finally shows some 60+/sunny weather coming this way for late weekend! Storm data to follow on the Winni Weather thread later today or tomorrow.
CanisLupusArctos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2007, 04:22 PM   #9
gillis10

http://www.citizen.com/apps/pbcs.dll...191/-1/CITIZEN

Where is this bridge? by the golf course?
gillis10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2007, 07:30 PM   #10
kayakn

Yes, I think this is the end of Elm Street that intersects with North Main/Parade Road. Just down the road from the Laconia Country Club.
kayakn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2007, 11:04 AM   #11
Weirs guy

Quote:
Originally Posted by kayakn
Yes, I think this is the end of Elm Street that intersects with North Main/Parade Road. Just down the road from the Laconia Country Club.
100% correct, and you get a cookie! Of course, its also the exact way I go home most nights!!!

Now?
Weirs guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2007, 07:56 AM   #12
ApS

Smile Lower electric bill this month!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bear Islander
The power is out on Bear Island and I would not expect it back on soon.
With both propane and woodstove backups for heat, we're pretty snug here on the lake. But concerned senior family members in Wolfeboro hounded me every day of the storm saying, "...this weather is too severe to stay at that lake place...."

On the first day of the storm, they called three times! (They have backup propane heat, but only in their work studio.)

So when the power did fail, I immediately picked up the phone, inviting them to come to "that lake place" to warm up.

Alas for my little exercise in irony, the power stayed on there—only two miles away—and it was only here that we were without power—for six hours!

And, as though to put a finer point on it, Mother Nature dropped another tree on a wire yesterday, and again was without power—this time for three hours.
Old 04-20-2007, 05:04 PM   #13
kayakn

Thanks Weirs Guy...Do I get my choice of cookie !!!Just kidding...
kayakn is offline   Reply With Quote