Go Back   Winnipesaukee Forum > Winnipesaukee Forums > General Discussion
Home Forums Gallery Webcams Blogs YouTube Channel Classifieds Calendar Register FAQDonate Members List Today's Posts

Old 12-30-2006, 11:57 PM   #1
BoulderBronco

Default Any Ice yet, Anywhere?

Every year I fly out from Colorado for the derby. Last year was awful because of the ice and they postponed it so I missed it. I have not yet got my flight because I have been watching and you guys are super warm. I was wondering if there was any ice anywhere on the lake? I saw the water temp is 38 today. Anyone know what the water temp was Dec 30th last year? Also does it have to get all the way to 32 or does the lake take a freeze at a bit higher temp on a cold day? I want to get my flight ASAP but I also don't want to miss the derby if it's going to be postponed again.
BoulderBronco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2006, 08:38 AM   #2
fatlazyless

Default ...Lakeport Dam water temperature

I think the water temp as reported on this website has to get down to 34 before the big open area of the lake will get frozen over. The thermometer is located at this 75 billion gallon -24 mile lake's only outlet, and the outflow dam area never-ever gets frozen over due maybe to the current. Going back thru six years of this web sites water temp recods seems to say that 34 is what's needed for a total ice-in.

It definately has my interest because my boat and dock are still in. Never bought a fishing license this year cause I never went fishing, but plan to get one tomorrow, Jan 1, and if it's sunny and calm, go do some sunfish casting off the boat out by Eagle Island, or somewhere. My fishing ability is about a D-. Will be sure to leave some fish for that big Ice Derby in Feb!
fatlazyless is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2006, 09:22 AM   #3
secondcurve

Boulder:

You are in a tough position with respect to booking your fight, especially since airlines are flying more toward capacity these days. Maybe you should book a flight and change it for a later date if necessary? The fee isn't too bad.

I have rarely seen it so mild in New England for such a protracted period at this time of year. The greater Boston area is expected to have daily highs around 50 all next week and we are expecting an inch of rain tomorrow. The Winnipesaukee area doesn't look much better. I am starting to think that I am going to save on snowmobile liability insurance again this year. I didn't take the machines out once last year. No need to insure them if they are sitting in the garage!

Finally, you can follow the current and historical water temps by clicking the water temp link on the Winnipesaukee home page.

Good Luck with your vacation plans!
secondcurve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2006, 09:36 AM   #4
SAMIAM

Thanked 1,638 Times in 567 Posts

Think you're right.Secondcurve....I've resigned myself to the fact that I'll be driving up north if I want to do any snowmobiling this year.Went to Twin Mt last year (my only trip) and it was pretty bare. Oh well.....at least we don't have to worry about avalanches
SAMIAM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2006, 11:33 AM   #5
John A. Birdsall

Default Fishing

Fatandlazy, you need to put a hook or something other than a full beer can on the end of the fish line even the sunfish don't care that much for beer.. However you might attract JAWS. Happy New Year everyone
John A. Birdsall is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 12-31-2006, 12:32 PM   #6
BoulderBronco

Thanks for the input yall. I am going to give Jet Blue a call today and see how much it would cost to change my flight to a week later if necessary.
BoulderBronco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2006, 04:47 PM   #7
coley

Default No ice in Wolfeboro

Was up at the lake yesterday on Jockey Cove in Wolfeboro and there was no ice to be found anywhere........
coley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2006, 06:01 PM   #8
jetskier

Post Nada

As of yesterday, there was no appreciable ice in Paugus Bay, the Weirs or Meredith harbor. Next week is going to be warm...highs are going to be above freezing.

We got a couple of inches of snow yesterday, but I would expect that to melt tomorrow given the forecast of rain.

I am sooooo glad that I had the snowmobiles prep'd for the season.

Jetskier
jetskier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2006, 07:15 PM   #9
Cobalt

Default Getting Closer

The water temp is down to 36 degrees, and there was a light skim of ice at the Meredith shoreline and Center Harbor as of noon 12-31. Also, it looked like the ice eaters were on for a while at the docks in Center Harbor.

It was windy on the broads side of the Long Island Bridge with no signs of any ice in the area.
Cobalt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2006, 07:37 PM   #10
secondcurve

BoulderBronco:

Maybe when you head east you can bring some of the white stuff with you? It seems that our share has been misplaced out west!
secondcurve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2007, 12:46 AM   #11
DRH

Alton Bay was frozen out almost to Sandy Point today. It looked very thin, but it was ice. The temperature as I write this (12:45 AM on 01/01/07) is 18 degrees with no wind, so I'm sure more ice is being made tonight. Unfortunately, the forecast for the next week is for above-normal temps.
Old 01-01-2007, 04:30 AM   #12
HomeWood

18*, that's awesome. I just walked in the door from work and it's about 65* and raining.
HomeWood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2007, 08:50 AM   #13
Lakegeezer

Default Ice in the Northeast Corner

The lake north of Moultonboro bay iced in on Friday night. Saturday, the snow came and put about 3" on top. Sunday, the snow absorbed water and by the end of the day, the ice was gray and soft, about 1" thick. Freezing rain is falling as I write this on New Year's Day morning. The ice looks like its holding up to the rain, but we'll see. The forecast is calling for above normal temperatures for the first 10 days of January.
Old 01-01-2007, 12:08 PM   #14
EllyPoinster

Don't get your hopes up too much - at least for the short term. High temps in the upper 40's and even low 50's are predicted for Thursday, Friday and Saturday.
EllyPoinster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2007, 02:50 PM   #15
Mee-n-Mac

Unhappy Alton Bay Ice

Winds and sun knocked down the Alton Bay ice a bit (that and my circulator may have been on the high setting). Here it is on Sun, Dec 31. Sandy Pt is just out of frame to the right.
Attached Images

Old 01-01-2007, 06:19 PM   #16
HomeWood

Nice pic Mac. Uggghh almost there! Keep going!

Yup, it was a disgusting 70* out today and they are calling for more later this week. I think I'll just go insane and then maybe it won't bother me as much.
HomeWood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2007, 06:41 PM   #17
danwas44

Thumbs down Very Little Ice

Hi,
There is very little ice on the lake as of 1/1/07, just a little in the closed in areas. When I left today, it was raining and 34 degrees, and the forecast is for warm weather this entire week.
Dan
danwas44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2007, 08:41 PM   #18
topwater

Fatlazyless, I saw you posted you might try for some sunfish by Eagle Island, This is just a friendly reminder about fishing on Winnie, That from Jan 1st-March 31st it is ICE FISHING only, fishing out of a boat is illegal. I hope this saves you a ticket from F&G. Happy New Year everyone !!
topwater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2007, 05:59 PM   #19
Weirs guy

We noticed some ice forming around the Weirs town docks/Mount docks the Wednesday before Christmas and I got my hopes up. When I got home tonight the wind had whipped the bay up to almost whitecap levels! Looks like no ice-in on Weirs bay again this winter.

Now?
Weirs guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2007, 02:48 PM   #20
codeman671

I went to Mark Island today and it was clear travel all the way. Smith Cove was iced in but that is all of the ice that I saw. There was a bit of crust along my shoreline but nothing that wasn't already disappearing by 11am. We usually see ice between Mink and Mark fairly early but it was completely clear. With the weather forecasts looking the way that they are I will probably head out next Tuesday as well.

Who wouldda' thought???
codeman671 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2007, 04:35 PM   #21
rander7823

Default So the fish are behind the warm weather?

Quote:
Originally Posted by topwater
Fatlazyless, This is just a friendly reminder about fishing on Winnie, That from Jan 1st-March 31st it is ICE FISHING only, fishing out of a boat is illegal.
Looks like we have found the warm weather culprits....the Rock Bass???
rander7823 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2007, 04:50 PM   #22
fpartri497

Default Ice

I visited Alton bay and wolfboro Bay (By Car) today and only Alton bay had a small thin layer of Ice. I dont remember a winter like this In the past. today In concord It was 46 deg.

happy winter allmost

Old 01-03-2007, 06:45 PM   #23
Grant

Quote:
Originally Posted by rander7823
Looks like we have found the warm weather culprits....the Rock Bass???

See?!?!?!? I told you they were demon spawn!!!

Next up: Bull sharks.
Old 01-03-2007, 07:11 PM   #24
fatlazyless

Default ....warm January Wednesday

My leaky 33 year old aluminum boat took me from buoy 3 to Meredith town docks, and made it back going strong....can never be too sure......nice to know the Marine Patrol still has a boat in the water just in case. Saw the MV Bear II from Camp Lawrence, and a pontoon boat over by Mark Island. Otherwise, the waters were calm & serene under that warm January sunshine.....and very quiet. Ice...ice.....what ice?

Hey, this is a little off-topic but my Meredith property taxes have gone up so much that I have to pay the town, each year, more than twice what I paid for my boat, motor & trailer, an it's not a bad boat. The boat will get me from Centre Harbor to Meredith to Gilford to Wolfeboro. And what will my property taxes get me? A lot of it goes to Belknap County and the state school tax.

This state needs a broad-based tax, and an income tax is the fairest, and the Republicans will be losing their Republican NH advantage for the long haul so all these new-to-be FORMER Republican reps and senators should go take up ice fishing, or something.

Last edited by fatlazyless; 01-04-2007 at 05:57 AM. Reason: edit
Old 01-04-2007, 04:45 AM   #25
fatlazyless

Default ..no fishing from a boat?

So, no fishing from a boat until April 1. Did I know that? Of course not, and as someone likes to say, ignorance is no excuse. Yes, I purchased a $35.00 fishing license for 2007. So, I appreciate that piece of info.

And no, while the Meredith town hall, Centre Harbor town hall, Shep Brown's, and Meredith Marina have yet to receive the green 2007 boat registration stickers from the state, the Marine Patrol in Gilford does, in fact, have the new green stickers. Surprisingly, the Gilford town hall supposedly has the stickers, too.

It certainly makes the most sense to me to purchase the green 2007 sticker from the Marine Patrol since their patrol boat is the only law enforcement-rescue boat that is still on the water and ready-to-go, as far as I know.

Last edited by fatlazyless; 01-04-2007 at 04:52 AM. Reason: spell-cheque