Go Back   Winnipesaukee Forum > Winnipesaukee Forums > Boating
Home Forums Gallery Webcams Blogs YouTube Channel Classifieds Calendar Register FAQDonate Members List Today's Posts

Old 06-01-2022, 12:27 PM   #1
brk-lnt

The gas dock attendant does not know, or care, how or why you use your boat. If I am getting a fill up at a gas dock I usually tip ($20, FWIW).

However, I do not tip the driver when I have the fuel truck come to the house (this in FL, BTW). In that scenario, I see it more as a utility service and I am paying for the convenience of home delivery, which is baked into the price and his salary. Also, I am not always at home when he arrives, same for other customers, so I do not think he expects a tip in these cases. I do give a Christmas bonus when he comes in December though.
Old 06-01-2022, 12:37 PM   #2
Sue Doe-Nym

Quote:
Originally Posted by brk-lnt View Post
The gas dock attendant does not know, or care, how or why you use your boat. If I am getting a fill up at a gas dock I usually tip ($20, FWIW).

However, I do not tip the driver when I have the fuel truck come to the house (this in FL, BTW). In that scenario, I see it more as a utility service and I am paying for the convenience of home delivery, which is baked into the price and his salary. Also, I am not always at home when he arrives, same for other customers, so I do not think he expects a tip in these cases. I do give a Christmas bonus when he comes in December though.
In my opinion, a $20 tip each time you fill up your boat sounds like an attempt to impress people (FWIW, of course). Go ahead and castigate me…..I can take it!
Sue Doe-Nym is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2022, 12:42 PM   #3
joey2665

Thanked 1,007 Times in 648 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sue Doe-Nym View Post
In my opinion, a $20 tip each time you fill up your boat sounds like an attempt to impress people (FWIW, of course). Go ahead and castigate me…..I can take it!
Too each his own. I usually tip 10-20 depending if I am empty or closer to 1/2. I always engage the attendants in conversation and most are hard working college students or high school grads starting out in life. I don’t mind giving them a little help starting their life journeys.

Sent from my iPhone using Winnipesaukee Forum mobile app
joey2665 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2022, 01:54 PM   #4
brk-lnt

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sue Doe-Nym View Post
Keep in mind this is for our cruiser in FL, so when at a gas dock we usually have at least 1 dock hand helping out with tying up, then we take on about 175 gallons on average, and since the house delivery service does not do pump-outs, we'll usually do that a gas dock as well. So it's typically a 30 minute affair, involving 2 or 3 folks at the dock. A $20 seems fair and I'm pretty sure is far from the largest tip they receive.

On Winnipesaukee I would usually tip $10 or so at the gas docks to the summer help kids.

FWIW, I don't think the average gas dock attendant is really impressed by just about any tip. I would imagine over the course of an average season they see everything from bitchy cheapskates to overly generous tippers, a $10 or $20 tip is really just being appreciative.

If I wanted to impress them I would do a magic trick or perform a hand stand.
Jeanzb1 (06-03-2022)
Old 06-01-2022, 05:36 PM   #5
dickiej

Money is like manure…it only works if you spread it around.
dickiej is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 06-01-2022, 12:48 PM   #6
Garcia

Quote:
Originally Posted by brk-lnt View Post

Thanks. When I mention the use of the boat, recreation vs. transportation, I did so to see if there is a difference in the operator's attitude toward tipping.

Your point about the fuel truck coming to the house is a good one - upon reflection, and right or wrong (and many will say wrong) - I see the people pumping gas as providing a necessary service, just like the clerk checking me out at the hardware store. I think it's because of the way I view the use of my boat, similar to the way I use my car, a vessel to get me to my destination (the island) rather than the destination itself.

Again, I appreciate the different viewpoints.
Garcia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2022, 01:40 PM   #7
Descant

Thanked 1,536 Times in 994 Posts

Talking to the girl at Y Landing, she said she had been trying to get the job for three years. I'd have to guess it was for the tips, compared to being a clerk in the store. She was a student at Plymouth State University.

In my youth, I used to fill in for the gas guy when he went to lunch or took a break. None of us got tips as a routine matter. Gas docks more frequently now have female attendants. Does that lead to different tipping?
Descant is offline   Reply With Quote