Go Back   Winnipesaukee Forum > Winnipesaukee Forums > General Discussion
Home Forums Gallery Webcams Blogs YouTube Channel Classifieds Calendar Register FAQDonate Members List Today's Posts

Old 07-17-2006, 04:14 PM   #1
jkjoshuatree

Question Wedding Help

Hi guys,

Let me first start by thanking you for your answers (as I'm sure they'll be many-there always is) and by apologizing for my lengthy question(s).

My girlfriend and I are looking for a place to get married at the lake but we don't want to get married at a hotel-like atmosphere (i.e. Church Landing or any of the Mills Falls hotels).

What we're ideally looking for is to rent a fairly large house for a week leading up to the wedding that can sleep 8-10 people. Then we'd have the wedding on the grounds of the house with an expected guest list of around 100.

In a perfect world we'd like the yard to be flat and landscaped and also have the capacity to house two or three large tents (in case of bad weather).

We also need recommendations for caterers, dj's, and bakeries in the area (wedding cake).

We're trying to stay away from the "hotel" wedding because they hold you captive by making you do everything through them (menu, flowers, music, photographer, etc.) and we'd like to be more unique in our approach and have it done exactly as we'd like.

As far as the catering, we were thinking of something fairly casual (i.e. appetizers distributed by waiters, carving stations, salad stations, a raw bar) with an emphasis on quality.

What we're going for is a casual, almost clam-bake type setting where people feel completely at ease and comfortable yet are surrounded by taste and elegance.

On a related note, does anyone know if a place like the Wolfeboro Inn does this type of wedding? A concern of my girlfriend's is that if we do rent a house and have the wedding there, some of our overzealous guests won't leave after the wedding is over.

I'll be calling the Inn myself in the next few days but was looking for other suggestions as well.

As far as location, anywhere around the lake would do. We prefer waterfront (who wouldn't?) but it's not necessary. The Winnipesaukee area is a must for us though.

I'm sure I'll be corresponding with some of you over the next few weeks and I just want to thank you again for your responses in advance.

Jk
Old 07-18-2006, 08:06 AM   #2
Joanna16

There are some wonderful homes in the area that can be rented - you should check some of the RE websites for rentals - C21 Lakes Region, Preferred Properties and Strictly Rentals come to mind. They usually have great pictures so you can see the ground of the property. Keep in mind that it probably won't be cheap - When I was looking for a friend even a lakefront home that sleeps 6 was 3000 for the week. Do you have a set date?
Joanna16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2006, 08:37 AM   #3
LIforrelaxin

Location: Long Island, not that one, the one on Winnipesaukee
Default Try Strictly Rentals

I was just bumming around looking at rental prices and Strictly Rentals had some fairly big places that would sleep 8 to 10 people....they where around 5K a week....The only question I would have would be if they had enough property to facilitate having the weding on the grounds.....Also the other consideration would be whether or not the owner would allow a wedding to take place.....Many owners might not want tents and so forth put up....and the other issue with enough people for a wedding you may want portable toliets as I am sure the owners would not want there septic system over used.............

In short call a few rental agencies and ask questions
Old 07-18-2006, 08:40 AM   #4
CentreHarborEric

Default Oliver Lodge

Depending on how soon you are looking to get married, I would talk to Herb Oliver and his wife @ Oliver Lodge. I think the website is www.oliverlodge.com.
We were married there last September 10th and it fits what you are talking about pretty closely.
We had about 15 people there beginning Wednesday night, staying in the various lodges and rooms on the property (I think there are 4 different buildings available for rental), then more people closer to the wedding, peaking at about 50 people staying Saturday night. We had about 90 people there the day of the wedding.
Mames in Meredith catered. The ceremony was outside with Red Hill as a backdrop. Start with John Cook @ Mames.
People came by boat, by car, we waterskied and wakeboarded up til about an hour before the wedding.
Herb has a boat which holds about 40 or 50 people ("Manitou") and can be rented for an excursion. We didn't bother.
Being born and raised up there, now living in Boston but with a summer place up there, it was the best day I could possibly have imagined.
Let me know if I can help with any questions.
CentreHarborEric is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2006, 03:00 PM   #5
parrothead

Default Oliver Lodge

As I was reading your post the first place that came to mind was the Oliver Lodge for me too. The yard would be big enough to hold tents and there would be enough room for everyone. The A-frame on the small island in front can be your honeymoon suite, and get you away from the people that won't leave, unless they want to swim
Old 07-19-2006, 05:44 PM   #6
jkjoshuatree

Wink Thanks Guys...Keep The Ideas Coming!!

I've tried several times to get to the Oliver Lodge home page and it seems to be frozen.

I also contacted the Wolfeboro Inn and that is definitely a place of interest for us. Has anyone ever been to a wedding there? Or eaten there perhaps? The food looks great but I was just wondering if anyone has a first-hand account.

I've also contacted Curry Realtors and gave them a description of what I'm looking for.

Keep the ideas coming!!

And thanks again.

Jk
Old 07-21-2006, 07:31 AM   #7
jkjoshuatree

Talking Local Photographers, Bakeries, Florists and DJ's...

Thanks for your replies.

I think we're leaning towards the Wolfeboro Inn. I've talked to them and visited their website and everything is included except the photographer, the wedding cake, the florist, and the DJ.

Does anyone know of any in the Winni area?

Thanks.
Old 07-24-2006, 11:21 PM   #8
Mee-n-Mac

Lightbulb Wolfeboro Inn

Quote:
Originally Posted by jkjoshuatree
Thanks for your replies.

I think we're leaning towards the Wolfeboro Inn. I've talked to them and visited their website and everything is included except the photographer, the wedding cake, the florist, and the DJ.

Thanks.
We're doing it* at the Wolfeboro Inn this fall so I can't yet tell you how good/bad it is. The reception & food is being done by them in the smaller round room they use for the 1812 Steakhouse and brunch. Ceremony to be outside at the gazeebo. I'll have to get back to you with the particulars on DJ, photographer, florist and cake - "Mee" has them. You can do a search on this forum and find out what replies we got when we asked the same question earlier. You may also want to do a search re: weddings at the Wolfeboro Inn. Not everyone gave it 2 thumbs up.

*it ... as in getting married ... people, people, people, get your minds out of the gutter. Geesh
Old 07-25-2006, 07:10 AM   #9
jkjoshuatree

Wink Thanks Mee n Mac

Thanks for replying to me. I was beginning to get a complex because not many people replied to my questions.

Let me know how your wedding out the Wolfboro Inn turns out.

Congrats by the way!!

How do I research your earlier thread?
Old 07-25-2006, 05:46 PM   #10
CentreHarborEric

Default Photographer

Andrew did a fantastic job for us with pictures @ Oliver Lodge. Very reasonable prices, stayed the entire time and caught some great stuff for us. Works in digital, film and black and white. He still has some of our pictures up on his site:
http://www.andrewbrowningphoto.com/wedding.html
CentreHarborEric is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2006, 12:35 PM   #11
Hallnit

Try this link,
Casual and all the room you are looking for. Waterfront; huge deck and allot of lawn space.
http://www.anchorage-on-lake.com/cottages.htm
Hallnit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2006, 06:05 PM   #12
Mee-n-Mac

Lightbulb The other wedding help thread

Quote:
{snip}
How do I research your earlier thread?

That thread is here. I forgot to ask "Mee" for the other details. I'll post back when I get them.
Old 08-01-2006, 03:43 PM   #13
Mee-n-Mac

Lightbulb Some suggestions

Quote:
Thanks for your replies.

Thanks.
Here's who we've got for the following;

JP (can also do DJ duty) - Nancy Fauci
DJ - "Mee's" brother and Glenn are a band and will be doing music and DJ whilst on the WinniBelle
Photographer - http://www.achberstudio.com/weddings.html
Wedding Cake - http://www.jacquespastries.com/ (check out their incredible stuff !)
Florist - have to get back to you on this one
Old 08-06-2006, 05:50 PM   #14
jlrm73

Default second that

Hi-
Jacques is second to none in the area for cakes. They are in Suncook, but they will travel!
Lakes Region Floral Studio in Laconia is THE BEST florist in my humble opinion. Very artistic and classy.
http://www.lakesregionfloralstudio.com/
jlrm73 is offline   Reply With Quote