Go Back   Winnipesaukee Forum > Winnipesaukee Forums > General Discussion
Home Forums Gallery Webcams Blogs YouTube Channel Classifieds Calendar Register FAQDonate Members List Today's Posts

Closed Thread

Old 02-18-2006, 03:45 PM   #1
mcdude

Thanked 1,044 Times in 490 Posts
Default The Demise of the Wolfeboro Online Forums

For those of you who visit these forums you'll be surprised to see this message when you log on....
http://wolfeboroonline.com/index.php...BB2&file=index
Old 02-18-2006, 04:31 PM   #2
winniekid

Default its really a shame!

I was really sad to see this happen. We have two different pieces of property in Wolfeboro and it was nice to see what was happening in the town...as much as I'd like to spend more time there it isn't an option for us since our business is here in Arizona and the forum was a good way to find out what was going on in town, regardless of the negative views of some people ....everyone is entitled to their opinion. I feel like my information source has been cut off! So sad.
Old 02-18-2006, 05:39 PM   #3
mcdude

Default another option?

One of the former Wolfboro Online administrators is starting up a site that will include Wolfeboro Forums. Don't know what will become of the webcams though....not that they usually worked!
http://www.wolfeboro.us/
Old 02-18-2006, 09:27 PM   #4
ApS

Default Skokey says...

Quote:
Originally Posted by winniekid
I was really sad to see this happen. We have two different pieces of property in Wolfeboro and it was nice to see what was happening in the town...as much as I'd like to spend more time there it isn't an option for us since our business is here in Arizona and the forum was a good way to find out what was going on in town, regardless of the negative views of some people ....everyone is entitled to their opinion. I feel like my information source has been cut off! So sad.
There were three forums at Wolfeboro On Line (WOL):
1) Wolfeboro General Discussions
2) [Everything] Beyond Wolfeboro
3) [Political/Social] Hot & Sensitive

Hundreds of people from around the world visited there.

My guess is that the forum with the least amount of potential damage (Wolfeboro General Discussions) was the cause of its downfall. Somebody in a well-connected business made a telephone call. Same thing happened with the Town of Tuftonboro forum just last week.

Time to get it back, I say!

Old 02-18-2006, 10:25 PM   #5
Keith

Exclamation its not ready yet!

Hey guys, thanks for the link. www.wolfeboro.us is just a staging for the actual website which will reside at www.wolfeboro.net .

You will see that it is a major work in progress, but feel free to check it out.

Anyway, its not quite ready for any major traffic yet, but once you hit www.wolfeboro.net and see the website there, the launch will be official.

Keith
keith@wolfeboro.net
Sponsored Links
Old 02-18-2006, 10:42 PM   #6
upthesaukee

Thanked 1,921 Times in 1,063 Posts
Default Let us know...

Keith, please check back with us and let us know when your site is up and running, ready for traffic. My nightly routine has been to check out this forum, check out Wolfeboro, and do a crossword puzzle or two before hitting the sack. It will be nice to see your name back as administrator again. Good Luck.

PS. Once you are up and running, I will post a link to your site from my wife's yarn shop in Wolfeboro ( www.knitnh.com ). Like to put local links there as well as craft links.

Dave
Old 02-19-2006, 03:33 AM   #7
jscott

Default Thanks Keith.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keith
Hey guys, thanks for the link. www.wolfeboro.us is just a staging for the actual website which will reside at www.wolfeboro.net .

You will see that it is a major work in progress, but feel free to check it out.

Anyway, its not quite ready for any major traffic yet, but once you hit www.wolfeboro.net and see the website there, the launch will be official.

Keith
keith@wolfeboro.net
Glad to see your still around !!

js
Old 02-19-2006, 12:03 PM   #8
GWC...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Acres per Second
Hundreds of people from around the world visited there.

My guess is that the forum with the least amount of potential damage (Wolfeboro General Discussions) was the cause of its downfall.

Somebody in a well-connected business made a telephone call. Same thing happened with the Town of Tuftonboro forum just last week.
Wonder if this were the result of a poll - the majority of NH residents...
Old 02-22-2006, 09:12 AM   #9
covata

Tuftonboro's wasn't a true forum and it shut down a year or so ago.
Old 02-22-2006, 09:45 AM   #10
camp guy

Default The Demise of Wolfeboro On Line

It is truly too bad WOL went off the air. The general discussion forum drew from a wide diversity of readers; and, as such, this may have contributed to the downfall. All too often people posted information and comments which were just not accurate, factually, although the posters may have thought differently. With the lightning speed of the internet, an inaccurate posting can "fly around the world" in very little time, spreading the untruth wide and far. I don't think the general readership was concerned about the postings when the postings were true, accurate, and non-slanderous, but, given the diversity of the readership and posters, the veracity of a post could not always be verified - therefore leading to the above mentioned problem of spreading something which isn't true. Currently, in real-time, Wolfeboro is facing some serious issues at the Town leadership level and in the upcoming Town election of leaders and passing a budget. This situation was fertile ground for posters, and unfortunately, some information which was not accurate did get posted by uninformed, albeit, enthusiastic posters. This is too bad, and too bad for WOL. ALL readers of WOL should take a lesson from this experience and be more responsible when posting. Diversity is welcome, but it must be based on fact, not emotion. There, I've had my say.

Last edited by camp guy; 02-22-2006 at 04:19 PM.
Old 02-23-2006, 03:13 PM   #11
Keith

Default Exactly...

Well said.

While I was not a part of WOL at the time, and do not know what exactly took down the forums, I will say that we will be moderating topics with gusto. I am sure people will be upset when their posts are deleted, but it is something we will have to do, probably on a regular basis.
Old 03-14-2006, 04:55 PM   #12
upthesaukee

Default New Wolfeboro site up and running

Check out the home of Wolfeboro.net at

http://wolfeboro.net/

site is still in the building process, and I wish Keith the very best in his new endeavor.

Congrats Keith
Old 03-14-2006, 06:10 PM   #13
mcdude

Talking

I've been closely monitoring the progress at Wolfeboro.net and am impressed with the amount of time it takes to build and monitor (already some issues on the forum) a website. Just the photo gallery that was added over the past week-end (or so) must take an enormous amount of time. Over 600 images so far with a(n) historical/postcard section. Best of luck in this endeavor! McD
PS - Even a webcam is promised!
Old 03-16-2006, 02:24 PM   #14
Keith

I have many other postcards to scan in for the historical postcard section. I cant wait to get them up, but it will be a while. We are re-doing the asthetics currently, and hope to have the new look up within the next few days. (it wont be that different). As the webmaster here knows, it takes a great deal of time. It is fun!
Old 01-15-2013, 03:10 AM   #15
ApS

Post History of Wolfeboro Forums...

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcdude View Post
One of the former Wolfeboro Online administrators is starting up a site that will include Wolfeboro Forums. Don't know what will become of the webcams though....not that they usually worked!
http://www.wolfeboro.us/
The number of Wolfeboro-area forums that have failed is daunting. Keith's was Wolfeboro's premier site, but suffered from hackers at its Joomlaboard support.

Every link on this page (below) has failed since McDude originally posted. I can't possibly remember each-and-every Wolfeboro site, but I'll give it a shot.

Remember, the following links of failed Wolfeboro forums won't take a prospective reader anywhere.

http://www.wolfeboroonline.com (Wolfeboro's earliest site, which originally had strong support from a local realtor).

Most recently, a busy lakes region forum closed down voluntarily. It was cloned from a near-identical lakes region forum that had zero traffic.
http://www.nhlakesregion.forumotion.com

Both were to have replaced a busy—but ailing—Wolfeboro site nicknamed, "The Friendly Forum". Unsupported by the original site-builders—it, too, has vanished:

http//wolfeboronh.forumcab.com/

An earlier Wolfeboro forum was pirated from a Tuftonboro Webmaster—then abandoned:

http//wolfeboro.forumcab.com/index.php

That two-year-old Wolfeboro site has been "refurbished" by a Webmaster from Tennessee! Fairly new, it's creeping along—but members are not permitted an opposing view!

Wolfeboro's oldest existing forum, nicknamed WOFFL, is struggling. As I am not going to "pimp" any of these sites —as they say in the business—google "Wolfeboro" and "forum". WOFFL even preceded the Town of Wolfeboro's own website, that follows at this working link:

http://www.wolfeboronh.us/pages/index

(The Tuftonboro forum—which required $80 annually for operating—was allowed to expire by the Webmaster, Willi, after he abandoned his part to those who wished to "control content").

Most recently, there's a brand-new forum that has adopted Wolfeboro and Gilford town names in its title.
Old 01-15-2013, 04:13 AM   #16
wifi

Makes me appreciate all the work our own webmaster does behind the scene.

Thank you DON
The Following 16 Users Say Thank You to wifi For This Useful Post:
ApS (01-15-2013), BroadHopper (01-15-2013), camp guy (01-15-2013), DRH (01-15-2013), JacksonB (01-15-2013), KPW (01-16-2013), Lakesrider (01-16-2013), Mooseyme (01-16-2013), Newbiesaukee (01-18-2013), NHKathy (01-15-2013), Pontoon Goon (01-15-2013), Rattlesnake Gal (01-16-2013), Resident 2B (01-15-2013), trfour (01-15-2013), WakeboardMom (01-16-2013), winnisummergal (01-15-2013)
Old 01-15-2013, 08:12 AM   #17
webmaster

Thanked 3,731 Times in 827 Posts

We're in our 18th year of continuous operation. If I created a forum area dedicated to Wolfeboro would it fill in for these closed Wolfeboro forums?
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to webmaster For This Useful Post:
Dog's Ear (01-15-2013), Resident 2B (01-15-2013), trfour (01-15-2013), winnisummergal (01-15-2013)
Old 01-15-2013, 09:16 AM   #18
ApS

Would it be autonomous? If so, I'd suggest that member Rusty operate it. We're politically "at-opposites" but concede that he's thoroughly competent to run a "forum-area" as complex as this one.
Old 01-15-2013, 11:08 AM   #19
BroadHopper

Thanked 1,090 Times in 784 Posts
Default Why start another forum?

Winnipesaukee Forum is great! It should have been called the Lakes Region Forum as it does cover other lakes.
Just a thought to add a few general areas for regional discussions like:

- The 'boros
- The non boros
- Winnisquam
- Squam
- Ossipee
- The other lakes

Maybe Don can have regional moderators that he can trust so that he doesn't get overwelmed.
Old 01-15-2013, 04:53 PM   #20
Skip

Thumbs up My $.02

Quote:
Originally Posted by webmaster View Post
We're in our 18th year of continuous operation. If I created a forum area dedicated to Wolfeboro would it fill in for these closed Wolfeboro forums?
I think it would be interesting Don, but I would hope that you would remain the only moderator of that forum area as well.

In my opinion you have succeeded so well because of the consistency of being the sole moderator. You are obviously doing something right to have been not only the most succesful Lakes Region Webmaster, but to have one of the longest lasting and most popular sites in the State.

Like many other regional web sites, one of the problems with the defunct Wolfeboro sites are the same usual suspects monopolizing the threads ad nauseum. Since you are already pretty familiar with the usual cast of characters, and have show such a keen eye and fair balance to your moderating responsibilities, I thinkk that maybe a Wolfeboro forum under your astute moderation could have a chance at succeeding!

I know how busy you are already, but if anyone could make a forum covering that region succeeed it would be you.
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Skip For This Useful Post:
DEJ (01-15-2013), ishoot308 (01-15-2013), Rattlesnake Gal (01-16-2013), webmaster (01-16-2013)
Old 01-15-2013, 05:02 PM   #21
tis

Thanked 1,389 Times in 963 Posts

I really don't see why it is needed. We can already post Wolfeboro items on here. And in recent years, I think there have been a lot more members from Wolfeboro, whereas before it seemed liked it was mostly the other side of the lake. What would be posted to a dedicated Wolfeboro forum that can't be posted already? Just asking.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to tis For This Useful Post:
DEJ (01-15-2013), Skip (01-15-2013)
Old 01-15-2013, 05:06 PM   #22
Resident 2B

Quote:
Originally Posted by tis View Post
I really don't see why it is needed. We can already post Wolfeboro items on here. And in recent years, I think there have been a lot more members from Wolfeboro, whereas before it seemed liked it was mostly the other side of the lake. What would be posted to a dedicated Wolfeboro forum that can't be posted already? Just asking.
I agree. One forum is best.

There can be pages for the separate areas, but the Winni Forum we have can easily cover it all. I see no benefit from Don getting spread out an taking on another site when what we have fits the Wolfeboro needs.

R2B
Old 01-15-2013, 05:47 PM   #23
Merrymeeting

For many reasons, I would agree with others that a separate forum is not needed. If you create one for Wolfeboro, then what about Meredith, Center Harbor, Laconia, Melvin Village, Ossipie, etc.?

Also, except when I am creating a thread, I rarely pay attention to which forum the post is in. Like many, I read the forums by tracking via the New Post button.

Finally, the reason for the demise of the aforementioned sites, and others like them, has been mentioned. They were poorly moderated and became soapboxes and podiums for a few opinionated individuals who had too much free time on their hands. After awhile it was more trouble and pain to visit than to ignore.

This is why I strongly support the goals to keep these forums solely focused on Lakes Region topics, and politely ask that the political and unrelated opinions go elsewhere.

Don continues to do an outstanding job. We shouldn't make it harder for him. He might just decide that the massive salary is no longer worth it.
The Following User Says Thank You to Merrymeeting For This Useful Post:
DEJ (01-15-2013)
Old 01-15-2013, 06:49 PM   #24
ishoot308

Thanked 4,966 Times in 1,927 Posts
Default Why Mess With Success

While it may be an interesting endeavor I feel it is completely unnecessary. This forum is successful not only because of the people who frequent it but because Don knows how to moderate it without a heavy hand or a respectful behind the scenes hand when necessary.

Adding moderators for "other areas" would eventually start the demise of something that has lasted for many years,... this wonderful forum. There is a reason the other Wolfeboro forums did not last, no need to bring that baggage here.

If Don does decide to open it up I agree with Skip 100% that Don should be the only moderator. Too many cooks will spoil the soup!

Respectfully and happy as is...

Dan
Old 01-15-2013, 07:03 PM   #25
tis

With the exception of the first Wolfeboro forum, which was shut down as mentioned because of a local business issue, I think more than anything, the moderators just got tired of babysitting the forums. People can get mean if allowed to. We have no idea how much work it is for Don to keep this forum going. It takes a lot of work and time. Things like that you only know if you do it!!!
Old 01-15-2013, 07:17 PM   #26
secondcurve

I must agree with what has been said. The way Winnipesaukee.com is being operated is perfect. My vote would be to maintain the site as it stands today.

One possible reason that the smaller Wolfeboro forums continue to fail is they can't compete with Winnipesaukee.com.
Old 01-15-2013, 08:58 PM   #27
Senter Cove Guy

Default One Stop Shopping

That says it all.

However, there is one thing I'd love to see this forum take over and that is the original WolfeCam. It's view of Wolfeboro Bay is far superior to the "other WolfeCam".
Old 01-15-2013, 09:33 PM   #28
camp guy

Default The Demise of the Wolfeboro Online Forums

I agree completely with those NOT wanting to open up other websites. This site is running so well, we all owe Don a great round of applause. clap-clap-clap

One of the great benefits of this site is that it does cover a wide area, but no matter what the discussion is, we all seem to have one foot in the lakes of the region. This binds, and bonds, us together, soothing differences, and sparking great discussions.

I enjoy hearing about restaurants and shopping in other parts of the lakes region, places I don't normally travel to in during my day to day activity.

The Winnipesaukee Forum is a picture window for not only us living here, but for the rest of the world, too, in reality.
Old 01-15-2013, 10:48 PM   #29
PENIVISA

Thumbs up Why change success?

If it works dont fix it. I love this site and go on everyday.
Thanks for everyone who makes it what it is.
Big time kudo`s for the moderater for his hard work and loyalty to all the members of this site.
Old 01-16-2013, 12:24 AM   #30
upthesaukee

Default Love what we have...

Don has created a website that is vast in some respects, but can also cover each area in and around the lakes region. We have visited Loon Cove in Alton Bay, Winter Harbor in Wolfeboro, Paugus bay in Laconia, etc.

I enjoyed going on some earlier Wolfeboro forums, and am sorry they have gone by the wayside. But I recognize some user names from those forums and appreciate their input to this site, and respect their opinions and insight about their town, and the area.

Winni.com is global in nature, but local in spirit. Love it the way it is... I don't think we need a separate thread for each town..

Thanks for all you do, Don.
Old 01-16-2013, 05:07 AM   #31
ApS

Arrow A Self-Managed Forum—ONLY!

Yes, yes, ALL of that!

—> Allow me to introduce a forum member who's posted in this very thread:

Quote:
Originally Posted by jscott View Post
Glad to see you're still around !!

js
JScott and I were moderators at the very successful www.wolfeboroonline.com forum. Members had a great time there, even posting photographs of ourselves as children—with Wolfeboro and Winnipesaukee as backgrounds.

That forum collapsed because of a failed automobile tune-up, which had the garage owner walk across the street to effectively demand the forum itself be shut down. I totally missed its revitalization three years ago, but the forum never had a chance and now has disappeared.

As moderators, our instructions were to delete any offensive posts. Distracted by "kids" posting their usual nonsense, we both missed that eventuality because member Granma had an "articulable" gripe at the garage.

• I don't know why JScott was picked as a moderator but he is a former IT guy. The three builders of that site picked me because I
"...was chatty...".

• Certainly, if a meterorite landed in Lake Winnipesaukee, caused a local biological event , was found to have alien life-forms , and described as the "most important Cosmological event in 500 years" , one could post it here. However, it landed on the other side of the globe—and was today posted at a Wolfeboro forum.

(Where we—the computer-bound—could read all about it... )

• A self-managed forum—written by Don to vBulletin® Version 3.8.7 "language"—but managed by, say, member Rusty, could draw some of the rancor away...from, say, the Restaurant Information & Reviews forum .

• Not to mention...today's affronts to the "Live Free or Die" state—or to the U.S. Constitution
Old 01-16-2013, 07:17 AM   #32
jrc

I have read the most recent Wolfeboro forums, the very small amount of useful information there was easily available here. The very large amount total crap there was absent here.

Most of the worst posters there are present here, but on their best behavior. Even at their best, they are marginally useful.

Why can't these subjects be covered here, according to this forums rules, with the style and comfort our webmaster developed over the years? This place is not perfect but it is damn good and it works.
The Following User Says Thank You to jrc For This Useful Post:
Heaven (01-16-2013)
Old 01-16-2013, 10:18 AM   #33
tis

Quote:
Originally Posted by jrc View Post
I have read the most recent Wolfeboro forums, the very small amount of useful information there was easily available here. The very large amount total crap there was absent here.

Most of the worst posters there are present here, but on their best behavior. Even at their best, they are marginally useful.

Why can't these subjects be covered here, according to this forums rules, with the style and comfort our webmaster developed over the years? This place is not perfect but it is damn good and it works.
That was not a very nice post. Why did you bother to read the Wolfeboro forums if the stuff posted was crap and the posters are "marginally useful" at their best?
Old 01-16-2013, 11:50 AM   #34
Heaven

I would not want a separate Wolfeboro section on this forum, it is not needed.
There is the need for an entire forum for Wolfeboro (and perhaps the area) which permits political discussion BUT such a forum must be moderated heavily because, as we have seen, posters cannot seem to have civil discussions on their own.
The Following User Says Thank You to Heaven For This Useful Post:
ApS (01-16-2013)
Old 01-16-2013, 02:52 PM   #35
jrc

Quote:
Originally Posted by tis View Post
That was not a very nice post. Why did you bother to read the Wolfeboro forums if the stuff posted was crap and the posters are "marginally useful" at their best?
Did not mean to be un-nice that's why I didn't mention names. I just don't want this forum ruined with the political infighting I saw the few times I visited those forums.
Old 01-16-2013, 05:31 PM   #36
Skip

Quote:
Originally Posted by jrc View Post
Did not mean to be un-nice that's why I didn't mention names. I just don't want this forum ruined with the political infighting I saw the few times I visited those forums.
Gotta agree with you 100%...but I would like to single out tis. Her comments and opinions are always interesting to read and in my opinion she is the exception to the rule regarding some of the individuals you and I probably are thinking the same of!
Old 01-16-2013, 07:17 PM   #37
tis

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skip View Post
Gotta agree with you 100%...but I would like to single out tis. Her comments and opinions are always interesting to read and in my opinion she is the exception to the rule regarding some of the individuals you and I probably are thinking the same of!

Thank you, Skip. I appreciate that. But I still don't understand why someone bothers to read what is written in a forum if they think it is all "crap". Forums do need to be controlled by the moderator (s).
Old 01-16-2013, 07:27 PM   #38
RLW

Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by PENIVISA View Post
If it works dont fix it. I love this site and go on everyday.
Thanks for everyone who makes it what it is.
Big time kudo`s for the moderater for his hard work and loyalty to all the members of this site.

PENIVISA, I just noticed that you are fairly new to posting on the forum and glad you have joined us. Have fun and enjoy the Winni Forum while making many new friends. I am sure the moderator will be pleased with your comments.

Old 01-17-2013, 06:07 AM   #39
ApS

Arrow Even More History...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skip View Post
"Gotta agree with you 100%...but I would like to single out tis. Her comments and opinions are always interesting to read..."
Most regretted the loss of tis' many contributions when she was run off from a Wolfeboro site.

Now entirely deleted, that Wolfeboro site has been replaced by an even newer Wolfeboro forum that has effectively banned her contributions!

Dominated by "group-think" that newest Wolfeboro forum screens every new applicant for "correctness", while limping along with a handful of posts—per week. Just like here, the majority of members don't reside in Wolfeboro!

At Wolfeboro's oldest forum, I spent all last evening discussing the tearful renditions of female vocalist Iris Dement—something I am not permitted to do here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Heaven View Post
I would not want a separate Wolfeboro section on this forum, it is not needed.
Exactly right. A forum for Wolfeboro can receive its own, distinct, URL—and be independently self-moderating.

As to certain constraints, I've no gripe with even heavy moderation—in an official capacity—I've done it myself!

If I had the skilz, I'd start a new Wolfeboro forum—and moderate like crazy; but I've effectively started a "new" Wolfeboro forum—from the oldest one—and it's picking up.

Those old Wolfeboro forum posts are still archived. To a suggestion of mine, member Rustywriting as Admin—posted a "thanks" at the Lakes Region forum he suddenly dissolved voluntarily.

The second attachment shows that sympathy could be found in abundance in Wolfeboro.

Last edited by ApS; 01-17-2013 at 07:20 AM. Reason: Added "just like here"...
Old 01-17-2013, 07:01 AM   #40
Skip

Quote:
Originally Posted by Acres per Second View Post
...At Wolfeboro's oldest forum, I spent all last evening discussing the tearful renditions of female vocalist Iris Dement—something I am not permitted to do here. ...
Not seeing the forest for the trees?

You obviously have the interest, ample time and have already hand picked a competent moderator. Now all you need to do is create your new Wolfeboro website!

Best of luck...
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Skip For This Useful Post:
BroadHopper (01-18-2013), DEJ (01-17-2013), ishoot308 (01-17-2013), Merrymeeting (01-17-2013)
Old 01-17-2013, 07:19 AM   #41
tis

Quote:
Originally Posted by Acres per Second View Post
Most regretted the loss of tis' many contributions when she was run off from a Wolfeboro site.

Now entirely deleted, that Wolfeboro site has been replaced by an even newer Wolfeboro forum that has effectively banned her contributions!

Dominated by "group-think" that newest Wolfeboro forum screens every new applicant for "correctness", while limping along with a handful of posts—per week. Just like here, the majority of members don't reside in Wolfeboro!

At Wolfeboro's oldest forum, I spent all last evening discussing the tearful renditions of female vocalist Iris Dement—something I am not permitted to do here.

Exactly right. A forum for Wolfeboro can receive its own, distinct, URL—and be independently self-moderating.

As to certain constraints, I've no gripe with even heavy moderation—in an official capacity—I've done it myself!

I've effectively started a "new" Wolfeboro forum—from an old one—and it's picking up.

Those old Wolfeboro forum posts are still archived. To a suggestion of mine, member Rustywriting as Admin—posted a "thanks" at the Lakes Region forum he suddenly dissolved voluntarily.

The second attachment shows that sympathy could be found in abundance in Wolfeboro.

I wasn't banned from that site, Acres. I did not care to join with the people that were there and are still there. The moderator asked me to join but it was all liberal politics and I did not care to join.
Closed Thread