Go Back   Winnipesaukee Forum > Winnipesaukee Forums > Boating
Home Forums Gallery Webcams Blogs YouTube Channel Classifieds Calendar Register FAQDonate Members List Today's Posts

Old 08-14-2005, 07:44 AM   #1
Fishy Cover

Default Buoys off station east of Stonedam

Someone moved at least 4 spars yesterday, perhaps more, in the area from the east entrance of Sally's gut to halfway down the island. Stay well east if you go there.

This has happened before and is a very malicious and dangerous act. Someone could get seriously hurt.

Can anyone tell me how to notify the Marine Patrol?
Fishy Cover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2005, 08:14 AM   #2
pmj

Default Marine patrol numbers

All boaters should be aware of marine patrol numbers.

The Marine Patrol land line numbers are as follows:

31 Dock Road

Gilford, NH 03246-7626

Telephone Nos.: 603-293-0091 - Director's Phone Number (8:15 to 4:15 Monday - Friday)

1-603-293-2037 - Marine Patrol (available 24/7)

1-877-642-9700 - Marine Parol (available 24/7 - Toll Free)

pmj
pmj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2005, 09:13 AM   #3
jrc

How does someone move four or more spar bouys without anyone seeing them? Aren't those bouys connected with chains to permanent anchors on the bottom of the lake.

I did transit Sally's gut last Monday and there didn't seem to as many markers in there as shown on my Bizer chart. I don't go there enough to know if they were in the wrong place.
jrc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2005, 09:28 AM   #4
Lakegeezer

Default Cement blocks

Many spars are held to the bottom with a cement block or two. It is quite possible that a wind storm with microbursts could move them.
Old 08-15-2005, 11:15 AM   #5
GusMan

Default Another marker question....

Hi All,

Not related to the question about the markers near Stonedam, but I have another.

I was travelling from just north of Black Cat Island towards the Beaver Islands. Off in distance to my right, I noted a black marker out in the middle of nowhere that appeared to have a numbered buoy with it. I'm somewhat familiar with the area (not an expert by any means) but could not find that numbered buoy anywhere on my green chart. I didn't go over and investigate further, but do know that I had my bearings straight as I did (safely) reach the Beaver Islands exactly as I expected.

I was definitely south of the markers at the mouth of Center Harbor and noted the number 6 buoy as I passed it headed south.

Was I halucinating or what????

Cheers....

Gusman
GusMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 08-15-2005, 12:02 PM   #6
CentreHarborEric

Default Lighted buoy north of Beaver Islands

If we are talking about the same buoy, it is a relatively new one (maybe 5-7 years now) marking what I consider the southeast extreme of a big shallow area. I am pretty sure that marker has been there all along, just had the light added a few years ago.
CentreHarborEric is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2005, 12:29 PM   #7
Lakewinniboater

Default do people move markers

Well, I would hope not. However, when I was going into the channel in Small's Cove into West Alton Marina. Those of you that are familiar with this area also know that there is a sand bar there..... WELL, there was a group of 4-5 young teenagers swimming at the edge and WELL into the the middle of the channel on Saturday. The were very close to being hit 3-4 times. (I am sure that the parents weren't aware)

BUT back to the subject.... these kids were moving the black markers. Diving numerous times together trying to move them. WHY????? kids being kids.... they had no idea what they were doing was dangerous. No idea they were in danger of being hit.... Yada yada yada.

Don't know if anyone stopped them or even if they were successful. I was told to bud out and just kept going. However, apparently it happens.

I do also know that last month when we had that HORRIBLE storm our swim platform was moved about 20 ft and hit the dock.

Just an FYI.

I am sure that Marine Patrol will have it fixed once notified. (I hope)

Last edited by Lakewinniboater; 08-15-2005 at 04:18 PM.
Lakewinniboater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2005, 01:36 PM   #8
KTO

Gusman--

Well it's certainly not in the middle of nowhere! It's actually part of a chain of shallow areas in front of Patrician Shores/Sands of Brookhurst that is actually fairly poorly marked. The number marker I believe is new for 2001-2002 (Not positive on that one). But no, it's there alright! Just take a look at the maps I drew and maybe you'll be able to see what I'm talking about...hopefully.

KTO

P.S. I am not sure if you will be able to read everything because of the shrunken size, so feel free to save them to your computer and take a zoomed in look.
Attached Images

KTO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2005, 02:33 PM   #9
jrc

Floating light number 6 is just off Becky's Garden. According to my copy of Bizer, it doesn't have a spar bouy.

Floating light number 84 is the last number, so it makes sense that it was the last installed. Although there are missing floating light numbers from 31 to 38, so that theory might have problems.
Old 08-15-2005, 03:05 PM   #10
CentreHarborEric

Default I'm with KTO on this one

I just don't have such incredible visual aids available on demand...wow!

The 2001 timeframe seems about right, I was thinking 5-7 years.

And that is one really nasty spot, it certainly deserves the light buoy...makes a nice addition to having #6 there off the Becky's Garden area.
CentreHarborEric is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2005, 04:53 PM   #11
KTO

Quote:
Originally Posted by jrc
Floating light number 6 is just off Becky's Garden. According to my copy of Bizer, it doesn't have a spar bouy.
The #6 buoy is actually between Becky's Garden and Two Mile Island. The red buoy is kind of between Becky's Garden and Black Cat Island.

I fixed my map to show what I mean...Look for number marker 6 and Becky's Garden and the relationship between the Red buoy and the number buoy.
Attached Images

KTO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2005, 08:37 AM   #12
SIKSUKR

Quote:
Originally Posted by jrc

Floating light number 84 is the last number, so it makes sense that it was the last installed. Although there are missing floating light numbers from 31 to 38, so that theory might have problems.
My 6th edition Bizer shows a red spar bouy right to the south of Becky's.F stands for Fixed(always on),FL stands for flashing light,FL(2) stands for flashing light that flashes twice.FL(2)#6 is just west of Becky's.
Old 08-16-2005, 09:16 AM   #13
GusMan

Default Numbered marker....

Thanks KTO....

That's the marker I saw! I have an older copy of the green chart (1994-95) and that numbered marker is not listed. I am familiar with that shoal area and its markers.... but not the numbered buoy!

Thanks again....

Gusman
GusMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2005, 12:51 PM   #14
Mee-n-Mac

Default More on when FL84 was added

Quote:
Originally Posted by SIKSUKR
My 6th edition Bizer shows a red spar bouy right to the south of Becky's.F stands for Fixed(always on),FL stands for flashing light,FL(2) stands for flashing light that flashes twice.FL(2)#6 is just west of Becky's.
FWIW - An old 4'th edition Bizer does not show FL84. It was published in 2000 I think. I have a 5'th edition as well but not handy right now.
Old 08-16-2005, 07:32 PM   #15
jrc

It is in the fifth edition of Bizer and I guess in the sixth.

BTW flashing light makes more sense than floating light especially since I can think of three that aren't floating.