Go Back   Winnipesaukee Forum > Winnipesaukee Forums > Boating
Home Forums Gallery Webcams Blogs YouTube Channel Classifieds Calendar Register FAQDonate Members List Today's Posts

Old 08-12-2005, 09:22 AM   #1
Mee-n-Mac

Question Question re: Bizer chart

I was looking at Bizer's chart and, for some odd reason, noticed that there's a blue "shoal" line that hugs the charted shoreline. In a lot of areas it has a minimum thickness, which I presume to really mean the water near the immediate shore isn't necessarily charted. My question is what distance from shore does this minimum blue line represent, is it 50m/164ft ? Just curious ...
Old 08-12-2005, 11:40 AM   #2
Knomad

Default Bizer Charts

According to the Bizer Web site: "Only Bizer color codes areas less than six feet deep." That color is blue. It will vary around the lake and shoal areas.
Knomad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2005, 12:09 PM   #3
SIKSUKR

M&M,My 6th edition says"areas believed to have a depth of less than 6 ft".I know this was not what you asked but I did do a little math.As far a I can tell,the most narrow line was 1/32 of an inch.Based on the scale I calculated that as about 40 ft.I know of areas that are over 6 ft deep at 20 ft offshore so the blue area is probably just a rough guide.
Old 08-12-2005, 12:27 PM   #4
Mee-n-Mac

Quote:
Originally Posted by SIKSUKR
As far a I can tell,the most narrow line was 1/32 of an inch.Based on the scale I calculated that as about 40 ft.
I didn't have a scale or dividers handy and was just curious as to how far out the thin blue line represents. I was guessing a bit longer but had no good* way to tell. This is the info I was looking for, thx.

*Seemed to be a bit smaller than the width of a tine on a fork I had handy. Using that precision measurement instrument I was guessing 100 ft.
Old 08-12-2005, 03:57 PM   #5
upthesaukee

Thanked 1,922 Times in 1,064 Posts

Mee N Mac ---- get one of those older forks that Grandma used to have, and the tine would have be thicker, and thus a great guide to being 150' --- oops, I digress....Sorry .