Go Back   Winnipesaukee Forum > Winnipesaukee Forums > General Discussion
Home Forums Gallery Webcams Blogs YouTube Channel Classifieds Calendar Register FAQDonate Members List Today's Posts

Old 11-06-2009, 10:20 PM   #1
ripley

Default Whats up with Hannafords/Meredith ?

Please pardon my rant !

Been shopping most of the summer at Hannafords /Meredith.
Every week it seems that I have another thing that really bothers me...Is it just me?
I try to save money and sometimes I will buy the store brand.
Now white minute rice is white minute rice, no?
I tried their brand of minute rice, saved 40 cents and it is crap. Normally the store brand is just as good s the name brand but because they don't have to advertise it, you save money, usully for the same thing..Not at Hannafords !
White rice is crap .
I buy their soup, just like campbells..but 20-30 cents less. I buy it for my dog...just add a tablespoon of it into her dish and ad hot water ..a bit of a treat for a 10 year old dog !
3 weeks ago, late one night, I went hunting for something to eat. Found a can of hannafords vegetable beef soup...what the heck ..I give it to my dog so I tried it ..
could not believe what garbage it was ..I thru it away as I could not eat it and I will never give it to my dog again!!
One other thing: I have been buying their B-B-Q chickens from the deli all summer those are pretty good ..
recently I was in the gilford store and I find them for $4.99...I have been paying $7.99 in meredith !!! same darn thing..I asked one of the guys in the meat room what gives ??? he said "because we can" apparently the lack of competion lets them feel that they can do this to us ..

sorry for the rant ...just makes me mad !!!!!
ripley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2009, 07:06 AM   #2
Happy Gourmand

Default Meredith Hannaford

The Meredith store is not in the same "region" or whatever they call it, as the store in Gilford. The pricing structure in Meredith is completely different and quite a bit higher. The Gilford store uses the same ad flier as the Nashua store and every store in between... "Because they can".
When in Meredith, we use the Meredith Hannaford as a convenience store...seems like pricing there isn't much better than most convenience stores.
The consistently best prices, and the best store brands are at Market Basket. They don't mess around with their pricing structure...it is the same for all their stores.
Happy Gourmand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2009, 07:22 AM   #3
Sunbeam lodge

Quote:
Originally Posted by ripley View Post
Please pardon my rant !

Been shopping most of the summer at Hannafords /Meredith.
Every week it seems that I have another thing that really bothers me...Is it just me?
I try to save money and sometimes I will buy the store brand.
Now white minute rice is white minute rice, no?
I tried their brand of minute rice, saved 40 cents and it is crap. Normally the store brand is just as good s the name brand but because they don't have to advertise it, you save money, usully for the same thing..Not at Hannafords !
Oh Oh!
Back when Jackson Star used to gouge us, someone on the forum suggested as soon as there was competition Jackson Star would go under.
When Hannaford's came in Jackson Star went under. Now Hannaford is charging us as though there is no competition.
Sounds eerily familiar to the debate about competition over the health care system.
Maybe there is something to say about what we learned growing up that the only thing that protects us from the greed in the capitalistic system is "competition"
Sunbeam lodge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2009, 07:37 AM   #4
ApS

Wink Believe It or Not...

Quote:
Originally Posted by ripley View Post
"...Found a can of hannafords vegetable beef soup...what the heck ..I give it to my dog so I tried it ..could not believe what garbage it was ..I thru it away as I could not eat it and I will never give it to my dog again...!!"
Canned soups—and even frozen foods (!)—are extremely high in salt content. (Check "sodium" on the label).

While my Vet advised "people food" was OK for my canines, aged dogs most often succumb to kidney failure. (A dog should benefit from less salt).

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Phantom Gourmand View Post
"...The pricing structure in Meredith is completely different and quite a bit higher..."
Higher than their Alton store?
ApS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2009, 09:11 PM   #5
Rag Top Daze

Default Check 'em online

You can go to the Hannaford website and look up the weekly flier for each store. You will see that the weekly specials at the Gilford store are often times lower than the Meredith store. It's been that way since they opened in Meredith.

I live for a rag top day
Rag Top Daze is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 11-07-2009, 09:23 PM   #6
ripley

Thanks,
I also learned that I can return my box of "rice " to Hannafords and get double my money back !!
which I shall do !

Their pricing still S$%&*KS
they are being devious and they seem to prey upon people.the people in Meredith are stuck with them as now there is no competition....they have the second highest profit margin in the entire supermarket industry ...now we know why ...they screw us geographically
Old 11-08-2009, 08:14 AM   #7
tummyman

Market Basket is ALWAYS cheaper. We drive to Tilton and still save money in total, including paying for the gas just to save on food prices. Had hoped Market Basket would move a store closer...like Jackson Star or a new store in Gilford that would be closer than Tilton. Quality in Market Basket is very high...even store brands. NOTE....we tried Hannafords a few times, but now shop locally at Heaths in Center Harbor. Even cold cuts...the same brands...cost less at Heaths than Hannafords. People need to support the local folks at Heaths instead of the chains like Hannafords that just screw people. When will people wake up...... Go back and try Heaths.....the selection isn't as vast, but the prices are better than Hannafords on many things. MARKET BASKET, where are you ??? If they even come to town in Gilford, good bye Hannafords, Shaws, and everyone else....
tummyman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2009, 09:35 AM   #8
Irish mist

Shaw's is worse than any other supermarket in the state on prices It's not even close ! I go in there for SALES only. Speaking of Shaw's: How in the world is the Tilton Shaw's staying open ? I've never seen more than 10 people at a time in that store ! It's always empty. Hannaford's in Gilford has excellent prices on many items, and believe it or not are close to Market-Basket in price. What we need in the Lakes Region is a Super-Walmart....that would help control food costs right quick
Irish mist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2009, 03:39 PM   #9
Greene's Basin Girl

Quote:
Originally Posted by Irish mist View Post
Shaw's is worse than any other supermarket in the state on prices It's not even close ! I go in there for SALES only. Speaking of Shaw's: How in the world is the Tilton Shaw's staying open ? I've never seen more than 10 people at a time in that store ! It's always empty. Hannaford's in Gilford has excellent prices on many items, and believe it or not are close to Market-Basket in price. What we need in the Lakes Region is a Super-Walmart....that would help control food costs right quick
Comparable items are often less expensive at Market Basket than Super Walmart.
Greene's Basin Girl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2009, 04:14 PM   #10
ripley

[Canned soups—and even frozen foods (!)—are extremely high in salt content. (Check "sodium" on the label).

While my Vet advised "people food" was OK for my canines, aged dogs most often succumb to kidney failure. (A dog should benefit from less salt.

Higher than their Alton store? yes,higher than their Alton Store ! Hard to believe ,huh ?

I am very careful what I give my dog ..When I use the soup as an additive,I am only talking a teaspoon every few days ,and its usually cream of chicken.

The prices are rising even as commodities are dropping..they are raising prices even as the cost of goods are falling..."Because they can " !!!!!
Old 11-08-2009, 04:53 PM   #11
Kamper

I don't think Hannaford's prices are "better" anywhere. They may not be as high as Shaw's (down here) but Demoulas/Market Basket is usually 10-30% less on the things I like to buy. Usually worse on milk.

There are Shaw's 1/4 mile and 3 miles, and a Hannaford's 7 miles from my house. There are 3 MB's within that same distance and I usually shop at one of those even if I have to pass by one of the other companies. Even if I am doing other business in their plazas.

You should go to the Hannaford web-site and let them know that you would shop there but you aware that they are profiteering form their market situationand you can no longer afford to support them.

Good luck!
Kamper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2009, 08:28 PM   #12
Lakesrider

Thanked 1,016 Times in 345 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rag Top Daze View Post
You can go to the Hannaford website and look up the weekly flier for each store. You will see that the weekly specials at the Gilford store are often times lower than the Meredith store. It's been that way since they opened in Meredith.
Well yeah. They have Shaws, and Wal-Mart right next door. "Competition"

I still say boycott Hannafords. I do. Maybe they will get the picture.
However that said I did go a while back and found a few items had dropped a bit in price. Ticked me off when even the Bananas were up over .20 a pound more than Shaws. Yikes!
Lakesrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2009, 08:57 PM   #13
dpg

Quote:
Originally Posted by Green's Basin Girl View Post
Comparable items are often less expensive at Market Basket than Super Walmart.
When you say "comparable items" do you mean the EXACT same thing or MB's brand? I've said it here before and I still think Walmart sells a lot of junk. I do how ever go in there for brand name things, soaps, bathroom needs, etc. Their tuff to beat for that stuff. At least around me they are. You couldn't pay me to wear one of their pair of slacks though.
dpg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2009, 12:41 PM   #14
gtagrip

Quote:
Originally Posted by dpg View Post
When you say "comparable items" do you mean the EXACT same thing or MB's brand? I've said it here before and I still think Walmart sells a lot of junk. I do how ever go in there for brand name things, soaps, bathroom needs, etc. Their tuff to beat for that stuff. At least around me they are. You couldn't pay me to wear one of their pair of slacks though.
Went to SuperWalmart in Salem, NH last week to buy a 12 pack of Sam Adam's Winter Ale only because I was already there for something else and bought it there for no other reason than convenience. Walmart's price, $13.97. Hannaford's price, $11.99.
gtagrip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2009, 12:46 PM   #15
dpg

Quote:
Originally Posted by gtagrip View Post
Went to SuperWalmart in Salem, NH last week to buy a 12 pack of Sam Adam's Winter Ale only because I was already there for something else and bought it there for no other reason than convenience. Walmart's price, $13.97. Hannaford's price, $11.99.
Interesting, good to know.
Old 11-09-2009, 01:15 PM   #16
gtagrip

Quote:
Originally Posted by dpg View Post
Interesting, good to know.
I figured the price would have at least been the same as Hannaford's and was surprised when it was actually higher.
gtagrip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2009, 01:41 PM   #17
LIforrelaxin

Location: Long Island, not that one, the one on Winnipesaukee

LOL.... well first we saw a thread like this for Jackson's Star, and now for Hannafords.

People you need to remember one thing. You are paying for convenience. Unfortunately this is horrible for permanent residents. But for the Summer residents most of them don't care they just pay for the convenience.

Convenience of what you may ask. The convenience of not paying Heath's prices. The convenience of not having to drive to Gilford or further. Convenience... it is the name of the game......
Old 11-09-2009, 04:47 PM   #18
twoplustwo

Default convenience?

The convenience of not paying Heath's prices.

IMO, for the basics, Heath's prices aren't much higher than Hannaford's. Heath's has been having better sales of late, as well, which is making them more competitive. Hannaford's meats are really lousy and overpriced, IMO - Heath's completely kicks their butts on all parts there. Avoiding their death lot is also so appealing, it's worth a few extra bucks, especially now that Senter's Market has widened the parking lot up front.

Heath's truckload meat sale is Wednesday. You'll see me there, for sure.
twoplustwo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2009, 08:26 PM   #19
Pam

I've enjoyed having the Meredith Hannafords nearby so much that I can't let this thread go without an alternative point of view. Though the prices are higher than Market Basket, the Meredith Hannafords is a small attractive store, has a nice selection of products, and ripe produce, and decent specials.

I force myself to go to Market Basket for large shoppings because of the prices, but it's a miserable shopping experience. Also, talk about the store brand lacking quality! I've found the Market Basket brand inedible and downright disgusting on several occasions and will no longer even consider buying their brand.

Though I also find the price discrepancy between Meredith and Gilford annoying, I love the Meredith store. If the prices were just a little lower, I would never go to Market Basket again.
Pam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2009, 06:58 AM   #20
SAMIAM

Thanked 1,638 Times in 567 Posts

2+2 is right about Heath's...best meat in the area and their seafood is really good also. We use the same supplier and he picks up fresh haddock, cod and swordfish right at the pier in Portland. Heath's prices are better than Hannifords in most cases........plus, you are supporting a local biz and local people.
SAMIAM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2009, 08:00 AM   #21
fatlazyless

....yeah, like the day-old stuff at Heath's, from the plain little rack way off in the back of the store with bread, muffins, cupcakes, rolls, cookies, bananas, and roast beef & turkey & pastrami sandwiches is fresher and better quality than the best stuff at Hannaford's. Heath's has better day-old food than Hannaford's has for today's new food (& for a lot le$$)!

....plus, Heath's has freebie, courtesy coffee in six flavors. The last time that Hannfords gave away a free cup of coffee was in 1971.

There was an article in the Union Leader business section on Hannaford's about a month ago. It was pretty interesting. It said it costs 15-mil to build a new super-store in the U.S., and that high health care costs in the U.S. prompted their building ten new stores in europe as opposed to the U.S.

When a U.S. employee of Hannaford's needs a hip joint replacement, they fly them to Thailand for the operation where it costs $10,000 as opposed to $50,000 here in the U.S. Hannaford's is a Belgium owned biz with over 2500 stores in about eight countries including Thailand and the U.S., so it probably has first hand experience with varying medical bills.

Someone.....help....post a working link to the Union Leader, Hannaford's, hip replacement and general info news article. For the U.L.. it was a decently written and lengthy article.....probably because some outside business news service wrote it.

Last edited by fatlazyless; 11-10-2009 at 10:34 AM.
fatlazyless is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2009, 08:50 AM   #22
Winnigirl83

Default Union Leader Article

I agree with SAMIAM, whenever I can go to a local merchant, I will. That's why I go to Heath's. It's a little further for me, but it makes me feel like I'm doing something for our local economy.

FLL-
I read that article, too. I'm trying to post the link. If it doesn't work (because my computer skills are so good), you can go to the Union Leader's website, search past editions. I typed in "employee hip replacement" and the article popped up.

http://www.unionleader.com/article.a...9-4d5cac977272
Winnigirl83 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2009, 10:59 AM   #23
Redwing
Deceased Member

Location: New Haven, Connecticut and summer resident of Moultonborough, NH since 1952
Default Ditto Heaths

We have been shopping at Heaths since the 1950s and have always found their meats to be outstanding; prices are extremely fair & competitive, as well. And, as I have mentioned in earlier posts, I can buy my old-time favorite Mateus at Heaths! Makes me feel as if I am still in my 20s.
Redwing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2009, 02:44 PM   #24
sa meredith

Default very interesting

Quote:
Originally Posted by Winnigirl83 View Post
I agree with SAMIAM, whenever I can go to a local merchant, I will. That's why I go to Heath's. It's a little further for me, but it makes me feel like I'm doing something for our local economy.

FLL-
I read that article, too. I'm trying to post the link. If it doesn't work (because my computer skills are so good), you can go to the Union Leader's website, search past editions. I typed in "employee hip replacement" and the article popped up.

http://www.unionleader.com/article.a...9-4d5cac977272
Wow! I was surprised at the end of the article, where the health care provided was contacted by US hospitals, offering to do the procedure for 15/20 k. As opposed to the norm, which is 50K (in the US). That goes a long way to explaining how messed up health care is in this country.
"Don't have 50K? OK, how much ya got?" "18??" "It's a deal! Come on down."
sa meredith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2009, 07:52 PM   #25
Lakesrider

OK....wanna laugh now. I am not feeling so well and did not feel like going shopping for food tonight. (We just got back from Vegas) So my Kathy stopped at Hannafords on her way home. I opened one of the bags and there was a pair of tenderloins in one of those little saran wrapped stryrofoam thingys. The price was $3.99. I laughed and said wow good deal. She thought so as well and picked it up for that reason. However upon further inspection the label said Ground beef on it.......oops. Thank you Mr. Butcher man!
Old 11-12-2009, 09:00 PM   #26
ripley

You are not gonna believe this one.
I needed a couple things and I was next door so I went into Hannafords.
When I was all done of course i went thru the checkout. Cashier hands me 3 receipts. One was my reg. receipt, second was a coupon and the 3rd was a coupon that reads:
the next time I go in, if I buy 8 cans of dog food, they will give me a coupon for the time after that, if I buy 8 more cans of dog food
Ossipee price =BBQ chix are on sale $5.99 rg price is supposedly $5.99 but it has been $6.99 for the last 3-4 months
Meredith ..same price
Gilford is $4.99 reg price posted is $4.99 pork roast ,chea end = ossipee 1.29 lb at ossipee and meredith, $1.19 in Gilford
3-4 other items are much cheaper in gilford and meredith is always the highest ..unless you are buying Tenderloins !!!
Meredith price $ 5.99
Old 11-13-2009, 06:50 AM   #27
SAMIAM

Thanked 1,638 Times in 567 Posts

Forgot to mention that Heath's also sells lots of LOCAL produce. Unlike the chains that get everything from Mexico and Chile.....Heaths stocks vegetables from several farms in Sandwich. Local apples, peaches, pears, corn.......during the season there are scores of local items. Just another reason to support them in my opinion.
Keep in mind that most of these items are organic and don't have the same shelf life as the imported fruits and veggies that are treated.....because of that they suffer a lot more spoilage.
SAMIAM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2009, 07:42 AM   #28
upthesaukee

Thanked 1,922 Times in 1,064 Posts
Default Local produce

Alton Hannaford was selling produce from Beans N Greens (Gilford) and I believe one other local farm this summer. FWIW.
Old 11-13-2009, 07:53 AM   #29
Happy Gourmand

Default more local produce

...and the Meredith store featured produce from Brookdale Farm in Hollis. I am in no way a fan of the Meredith store, but I do stop in occasionally when it is convenient.
Old 11-13-2009, 08:38 AM   #30
BroadHopper

Thanked 1,090 Times in 784 Posts
Thumbs up Shop in Concord

For those who drive up 93 to Meredith, you can do your shopping off Fort Eddy Road in Concord. There is a Market Basket, Shaw's and Hannaford on that strip. I usually exit onto 393 East and enter Fort Eddy Road the back way. Market Basket is right on your left.
If the stores are closed, I would go up 393 to 106. There is a 24 hour Wally World (Super Walmart) on 106 South. They may not have the best produce but you can get everything else!
For those who come up Rte 28 to the South side of the lake, I-393 in Concord will take you onto Rte 4 that will take you to 28.

With the three stores next to each other, prices are the lowest I've seen.
Old 11-21-2009, 08:37 AM   #31
Lakesrider

Just so ya know....Hood light egg nog at Market Basket Tilton $2.99 last night. Stopped at Hannafords in Merideth, (Forgot to get ice cream) $3.99. A whole dollar different. WOW! And they have signs up everywhere saying everyday low prices, no card games. Eluding to Shaws I am sure.
Old 11-28-2009, 04:17 PM   #32
Rag Top Daze

Thumbs down I've said this before, but...

I received the flyer for the Meredith Hannaford store. I was getting ready to make out my shopping list, but first I pulled up the Gilford store flyer online. It makes me sick to compare the prices for the 2 stores that are so close together.

I live for a rag top day
Rag Top Daze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2009, 04:27 PM   #33
HomeWood

My biggest complaint so far there is trying to turn out from the parking lot.

I prefer to shop at Heaths.
HomeWood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2009, 05:10 PM   #34
ripley

Default I shop Heaths whenever possible

The sad part of Meredith Hannafords is that if another market went in to meredith that hannafords would lower their prices and still be making resonable profit. Instead we get used by them, ripping us off just "Because we Can " !!
Old 11-29-2009, 06:07 PM   #35
phoenix

i took a car service this summer home from the airport and the driver said he had a trip with the owner( or manager ) of Heath's. He asked him if he was concerned with Hanniford's opening. He said that he would have to cut his prices on a few items but felt his business would not drop off. I am not sure Meredith could support two markets but prices would come down . Just as they do when gas stations get competition near them . In the summer I drive to MB which still has incredible prices. Wish they were in Phoenix.
Old 12-03-2009, 02:01 AM   #36
Lucky1

Default Meredith Hannaford is a great store

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pam View Post
I've enjoyed having the Meredith Hannafords nearby so much that I can't let this thread go without an alternative point of view. Though the prices are higher than Market Basket, the Meredith Hannafords is a small attractive store, has a nice selection of products, and ripe produce, and decent specials.

I force myself to go to Market Basket for large shoppings because of the prices, but it's a miserable shopping experience. Also, talk about the store brand lacking quality! I've found the Market Basket brand inedible and downright disgusting on several occasions and will no longer even consider buying their brand.

Though I also find the price discrepancy between Meredith and Gilford annoying, I love the Meredith store. If the prices were just a little lower, I would never go to Market Basket again.
I was there three days ago and a gal actually went back to get me a warm chicken that had already been put away. I fing the store to have good food and much better selection and prices than Heaths.
Lucky1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2009, 07:55 AM   #37
hilltopper

Instead of doing weekly grocery shopping at Hannaford's in Meredith, my wife is now making bi-weekly trips to the Market Basket in Tilton. She thinks by doing this we're saving around $40/week (minus the cost of gas). That says a lot about the Meredith store's prices...
hilltopper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2009, 08:38 AM   #38
angela4design

Thumbs up Amazing blog

I found a blog a couple of weeks back that I just LOVE, for exactly these reasons. This person does some legwork for us, and shops Market Basket, Hannaford, Shaw's, Stop n Shop and more, and posts some of the best sale prices EVERY WEEK!

http://nesaving.wordpress.com/

I clicked the "About Me" tab to see that she lives in Northern Mass. I wondered if that would alter the data, as prices vary by market. I suppose that it does to an extent, but I still just love this blog, just the same.

She's also got links to the weekly store sale flyers! And - tips on available coupons that can save you even more if you're a coupon clipper!

It's fantastic... good Yankee frugality goes online!
angela4design is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2009, 10:59 AM   #39
Lucky1

Default For those who would drive to Plymouth.....exit 26 off 93.

There is a Super Walmart there, and a Marshalls and a Dollar Tree. I had never been to Dollar Tree before but got some nice things and everything in the store really is only one dollar. I have always loved Marshalls and in recent years Walmart is in my areas! Great prices on many things!

Thanks Angela for the great link to Old Fashioned New England Saving. I bookmarked it. Wish there were all these helpful sites for information when I was cooking for a houseful!!
Old 12-03-2009, 08:15 PM   #40
fatlazyless

In my unscientific opinion, that Plymouth Walmart is the busiest, most customer busy store in NH, north of Concord. It is always open and always has plenty of customers.

Have heard that the nearby Plymouth Hannaford's has lower prices so's to compete.
Old 01-26-2010, 07:55 PM   #41
fatlazyless

Default ....letter to the editor

From today's Laconia Citizen, letters to the editor:

Hannaford's area pricing

Editor, The Citizen: I thought the area pricing practice went out with racial discrimination, but I guess I was mistaken in a big way. Shame on Hannaford's for using area pricing. Check out the fine print on the back of the weekly flier where it states "prices good at" or go on-line and compare fliers amoung various locations and you will see unbelievable discrepancies in pricing.

I compared prices between Meredith and Gilford and found that prices in Meredith for produce, meat, fish, and specialty items were 20-50% higher at Meredith. Does that have anything to do with competition? Shaw's is down the road from Hannaford's in Gilford, but in Meredith, Hannaford's is the only game in town.

What will happen when Market Basket opens in Meredith? Folks.....compare prices amoung the various Hannaford stores and you too will see the unbelievable differences.

This should be a public service note published in all the Foster's newspapers.

Arthur Ellis
Meredith

Laconia Citizen, January 26, 2010

...who knows...just maybe the Hannaford home office decided to raise the Meredith prices to help balance out their lower Plymouth prices....because they figured they could probably do this with enough success....the Plymouth Hannaford is about one mile from a Super Wal-Mart

Hannaford is obviously a much classier food store than Wal-Mart, so what can I say?......

Last edited by fatlazyless; 01-26-2010 at 08:46 PM.
fatlazyless is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2010, 08:26 PM   #42
Pineedles

Default Ongoing price comparison saga

My solution to this whole thing has been, and will always be... Shop at Heath's in Centre Harbor. Good quality, fair pricing, excellent customer service. No, I have no relation to them. Just a satisfied customer for years.
Pineedles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2010, 05:10 AM   #43
twoplustwo

Default yup

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pineedles View Post
My solution to this whole thing has been, and will always be... Shop at Heath's in Centre Harbor. Good quality, fair pricing, excellent customer service. No, I have no relation to them. Just a satisfied customer for years.
Ditto that.
twoplustwo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2010, 06:43 AM   #44
TomC

Quote:
Originally Posted by fatlazyless View Post
From today's Laconia Citizen, letters to the editor:

Hannaford's area pricing

Editor, The Citizen: I thought the area pricing practice went out with racial discrimination, but I guess I was mistaken in a big way.
I think its quite a reach to try to relate/equate product pricing to racial discrimination. Do we believe in free enterprise? Do you want "Them" to tell you how to price your product/service in whatever business you are engaged? Generally, doesn't every merchant try to charge what the market will bear? If you don't like Hannaford's pricing in Meredith, shop somewhere else.

From "Live free or die" to "whine a lot until the Gov't cares for me" sure was a short trip...
TomC is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2010, 07:37 AM   #45
Lakesrider

I can tell you I have not stepped foot inside a Hannafords scince my eggnog reply. As Pineedles said, go to Heaths. That is where we have been going if I need something before I can get to MB. My only gripe with them is they close too early. I don't always get out of work early enough to get there.
As far as the comment that we would not want someone telling us what to charge. Correct. I was complaining about the same thing at Hannafords as well as the higher gas prices at certain stations. So I stopped complaining, and just don't give them my business. The power of one I guess. Unless we make it the power of two. And then three and four etc.
Old 01-27-2010, 12:44 PM   #46
pah

I use Hannaford in Meredith just like I used Jackon Star Market. If I need a couple of items I go to Hannafords in Meredith. If I am doing grocery shopping I will go to another store.

I feel Hannford thinks they can charge the highest prices due to being the only show in town. Jackson Star thought the same!
pah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2010, 02:52 PM   #47
pah

Imported swiss cheese from deli:

Hannaford Meredith everyday price $7.99 / lb

Hannfor Gilford everyday price $5.99 / lb

Think we are being ripped off in Meredith ?
Old 02-04-2010, 04:50 PM   #48
Happy Gourmand

Default Swiss Cheese

Seems like the Gilford store is missing the boat.....Maybe they should raise the prices to match the Meredith store to eliminate these discrepancies.
I think it's called FREE ENTERPRISE.....they have something for sale, if you agree that the price is fair, buy it, if you don't think it's fair, you are free to shop elsewhere.
Either that, or maybe we need a Grocery Czar...that could create a couple hundred thousand high paying jobs across the country,,,maybe more...
FLL, are you listening? Get in line!!
Old 02-04-2010, 06:31 PM   #49
meredith weekender

We had the same problem in Manchester with Hannaford. The store on Hanover Street was charging more for Deli meat than the store on John Devine Drive. Both stores are located in Manchester. Brought this to the attention to the store manager, he instantly matched the other price and after a couple of weeks of price matching, they lowered the price.
meredith weekender is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2010, 08:51 PM   #50
pah

Quote:
Seems like the Gilford store is missing the boat.....Maybe they should raise the prices to match the Meredith store to eliminate these discrepancies.
I think it's called FREE ENTERPRISE.....they have something for sale, if you agree that the price is fair, buy it, if you don't think it's fair, you are free to shop elsewhere.
Either that, or maybe we need a Grocery Czar...that could create a couple hundred thousand high paying jobs across the country,,,maybe more...
FLL, are you listening? Get in line!!
I fully understand free enterprise as well as I fully understand when a grocery store is taking a price gouging stance.
As you stated, if I don't feel the prices are fair, shop at another store. I do that now.
There is no reason that less then 7.5 miles away is another Hannaford which sells it's products for far less then the Meredith Hannford.
Old 02-04-2010, 09:07 PM   #51
pm203

Try living in area with mostly Shaw's around. Then, you would beg for Hannafords. Much nicer stores and they are not tracking you with that silly Shaws card that needs to be presented at each checkout.
pm203 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2010, 09:28 PM   #52
Argie's Wife

... but I wish Trader Joe's would come up this way... I'd love to have one closer to home...
Argie's Wife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2010, 07:42 AM   #53
tis

Thanked 1,395 Times in 968 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by pm203 View Post
Try living in area with mostly Shaw's around. Then, you would beg for Hannafords. Much nicer stores and they are not tracking you with that silly Shaws card that needs to be presented at each checkout.
I hate all stores where you need a card. If I can avoid them I do. That is one of my pet peeves, besides auto answering at businesses.
tis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2010, 08:27 AM   #54
TomC

Default card?

I don't do the family grocery shopping.. my job is keeping the boat maintained and clean...

why do you need to present a card? One cannot just go to the register and pay?
TomC is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2010, 11:17 AM   #55
tis

Thanked 1,395 Times in 968 Posts

If you have a card you get a better price. If you don't have a card you get scre---. For instance with the card you may get pork chops for 2.99 a lb and without the card they are 6.99 a lb. You get the idea? If you forget your card, IMHO you get way overcharged. However, some will allow you to use it if they have your phone number in the system.
tis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2010, 11:55 AM   #56
ghfromaltonbay

Default Grocery store cards work nicely

Here in NJ the Shop-Rite stores have a Price Plus card for sales and if you forget it they can look you up using your phone # to get your discounts. Shop-Rite is a lot cheaper than A&P and some of the other chains down here. I would compare them to DeMoulas price-wise. CVS and some of the other chain drug stores have a similar discount card. The past few years Shop-Rite has run holiday campaigns at Easter, Thansgiving and Christmas -- they track your purchases for 4 or 5 weeks based on your card. If you spend more than $300 in the specified period a coupon prints out at the bottom of the register tape which entitles you to the choice of a free frozen turkey (or turkey breast), a smoked ham, or a Stouffer's family-size frozen veg. lasagna if you don't eat meat. At Christmas I got a 9.5 lb. Cook's Virginia Ham which had a price tag of $9.40 and this amount was deleted from my bill on the register tape. Last month I had a dinner party for 8 and enjoyed the free ham and had enough to send home with some of my guests + my Mom made a big batch of lentil soup with the bone. Lucky me, I got a container of that too.
ghfromaltonbay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2010, 12:00 PM   #57
Pineedles

Default Store cards

Cards are great for discounts. The store, Price Chopper, never bothers me with unwanted emails. They send their weekly circular by mail, which I appreciate because mailing is my business. And, they give me $.10 off per gallon of gas at Sunoco for every $50.00 I spend.
Old 02-05-2010, 12:20 PM   #58
dpg

Quote:
Originally Posted by tis View Post
If you have a card you get a better price. If you don't have a card you get scre---. For instance with the card you may get pork chops for 2.99 a lb and without the card they are 6.99 a lb. You get the idea? If you forget your card, IMHO you get way overcharged. However, some will allow you to use it if they have your phone number in the system.
You should add that's only when that particular item is on sale. At least that's what cards are for all over the stores I go to in Mass. Not just to save random money on random items at any time.
Old 02-05-2010, 04:08 PM   #59
Jmo77011

Quote:
So true! Shaws is our ONLY choice (within 20 miles) and it's so expensive.
Jmo77011 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2010, 08:02 AM   #60
Lakesrider

Well, living in Moultonborough, there is nothing good for miles. Except Heaths. Which is fine. However I try to bundle my shopping whenever possible. I am trying to keep my carbon footprint down and all. So if I find myself going to Lowes or Home Depot for instance I also go to either Shaws or Market Basket. If in Tilton I can also go to Staples, BJ's, and the outlets, which is right next to Shaws. Plus if I use my Shaws card I can get $.10, $.20 off per gallon right across the street at Irvings. Yipeeee! It really isn't where you shop. It really is about how smart you shop... Mentioned before was a comment on having everyone shout out when they see a bargain or a good sale. I think that a separate forum should be set up just for that purpose. If at all possible that is. I know I would check it out and post there whenever I found a good deal.
Heck, Shaws had a buy one get one free vitamin sale the other day. Bought several Vitamin C bottles. Saved over $20.00 in one visit on C alone..
Old 02-07-2010, 01:39 PM   #61
pm203

Quote:
Originally Posted by tis View Post
You can always ask to use the store card and I do. I just don't like the fact that the person in front of you or behind you can buy the same(on sale) item for less with the card than I can without the card. That's why, whenever I can, I drive the extra distance to go to Hannafords.
Oh, and one more thing. Hannafords always has 2-3 14 items or less registers running. Shaws has there self-serve registers where you have to ring up your items yourself. That's not what I call good service. It's their cost saving at my expense.
Old 02-07-2010, 08:15 PM   #62
Pineedles

Default Be careful out there

Yes, you can use the store card. But be careful if another shopper asks you to use your card. They can use it to verify to the store that their check is OK. It is a scam that is usually run by saying, "Oh I forgot my card, and there is a sale on such and such, that I can only get with the store card, can I borrow yours? DON't Lend it to them. If they issue a bad check it will be against your checking account.
Old 02-08-2010, 06:33 PM   #63
pm203

I didn't think that their card was tied into your checking account? How can that be? Aren't they completely seperate? I would think that there is no way they can come after you for someone else's bad check. ( whether they used your Shaws card or not)
Old 02-08-2010, 07:52 PM   #64
Pineedles

I thought I was just doing a favor for another shopper who needed a card to buy the item on sale. Whether I would have become liable, I don't exactly know. What I do know is that the person was trying to pass a bad check and that is wrong, and I wouldn't want to be a part of a scam. We retrieved my card from the person and the check WAS BAD!
Old 02-08-2010, 11:18 PM   #65
webmaster

Thanked 3,749 Times in 829 Posts

Quote:
I didn't think that their card was tied into your checking account? How can that be? Aren't they completely seperate? I would think that there is no way they can come after you for someone else's bad check. ( whether they used your Shaws card or not)
Shaws will attach your checking account to your rewards card: http://www.shaws.com/pages/rewardsCard/easyCheck.php

On the topic of these cards, I recently got an iPhone and use a free APP called CardStar to store all my rewards cards. Now I always have them all with me and the bar code can be scanned right off the screen. Try it if you have an iPhone or iPod Touch:
Attached Images

webmaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2010, 08:26 AM   #66
granitebox

Very slick application. If the card you have isn't in the listing they provide, they will add one. All you need to do is scan the card you need to add and they will program it and add to the next release (took less than 4 weeks for one in particular I had to add).

If your card isn't listed (such as local library card) - you can add it manually without much problem.
granitebox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2010, 05:46 PM   #67
pm203

Quote:
Originally Posted by webmaster View Post
Shaws will attach your checking account to your rewards card: http://www.shaws.com/pages/rewardsCard/easyCheck.php

On the topic of these cards, I recently got an iPhone and use a free APP called CardStar to store all my rewards cards. Now I always have them all with me and the bar code can be scanned right off the screen. Try it if you have an iPhone or iPod Touch:
That is a cool APP and some great info. However, if your checking account isn't tied into their card, there is no way you could be held responsible for a bad check from another user of your card.
Old 03-22-2010, 09:44 PM   #68
Lucky1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lakesrider View Post
Well, living in Moultonborough, there is nothing good for miles. Except Heaths. Which is fine. However I try to bundle my shopping whenever possible. I am trying to keep my carbon footprint down and all. So if I find myself going to Lowes or Home Depot for instance I also go to either Shaws or Market Basket. If in Tilton I can also go to Staples, BJ's, and the outlets, which is right next to Shaws. Plus if I use my Shaws card I can get $.10, $.20 off per gallon right across the street at Irvings. Yipeeee! It really isn't where you shop. It really is about how smart you shop... Mentioned before was a comment on having everyone shout out when they see a bargain or a good sale. I think that a separate forum should be set up just for that purpose. If at all possible that is. I know I would check it out and post there whenever I found a good deal.
Heck, Shaws had a buy one get one free vitamin sale the other day. Bought several Vitamin C bottles. Saved over $20.00 in one visit on C alone..
I wonder why Market Basket has not opened a store in the now closed Jackson Star? Seems like there is a need for that from some of the posts I have read here.
Old 03-24-2010, 09:37 AM   #69
Lucy Goose

Quote:
The Meredith store is not in the same "region" or whatever they call it, as the store in Gilford. The pricing structure in Meredith is completely different and quite a bit higher. The Gilford store uses the same ad flier as the Nashua store and every store in between... "Because they can".
When in Meredith, we use the Meredith Hannaford as a convenience store...seems like pricing there isn't much better than most convenience stores.
The consistently best prices, and the best store brands are at Market Basket. They don't mess around with their pricing structure...it is the same for all their stores.
We are moving up there soon, where is the Market Basket?
Lucy Goose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2010, 09:46 AM   #70
hilltopper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lucy Goose View Post
We are moving up there soon, where is the Market Basket?
It is in Tilton.
hilltopper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2010, 01:45 PM   #71
Lakesrider

I like the phone app for the store cards. But how do I swipe my phone through that slot on the gas pump at Irvings?
Old 03-24-2010, 02:10 PM   #72
jmen24

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lakesrider View Post
I like the phone app for the store cards. But how do I swipe my phone through that slot on the gas pump at Irvings?
I heard you take the sim card or mini sd out and push it into the slot!
jmen24 is offline   Reply With Quote