Go Back   Winnipesaukee Forum > Winnipesaukee Forums > General Discussion
Home Forums Gallery Webcams Blogs YouTube Channel Classifieds Calendar Register FAQDonate Members List Today's Posts

Old 06-28-2009, 07:13 PM   #1
mcdude

Thanked 1,044 Times in 490 Posts
Default Boston Magazine - The Greatest Lakes

Quote:
ritzy retreats! honky-tonk thrills! everything in between!

scroll down and click on Lake Winnipesaukee to see what they have to say. Then be sure to read the comments (below) from our friends over at Cow Island!

Quote:
I don't think that Cow Island is secluded or quiet. The last time I went past that island in my glastron foreflite, we were hit by hot dog fragments from some camp which had an impromptu hot dog cannon aimed out over the lake. When we got closer to the island to try and see what was going on we came across a 20ft high bonfire with black smoke and about 40 men running around swearing and throwing bag of gasoline around wily nily. One skinny guy had NO CLOTHES on. That island is far from secluded and peaceful. Don't look for any R & R there. Just Stay Away!

Summer Escapes! 2009: The Great(est) Lakes

Photographs by Bob O'Connor.

Page 1 of 11
The coast is fine, if you're into jellyfish, lugging around your own shade, and paying peak-season superpremiums for overnights. But we're thinking that this is the summer to bag the ocean in favor of New England's other liquid attractions—namely, its lakes. Well, certain ones of them, anyway: For every shimmering pool, there's a dozen mucky swamps with pesky phosphorous "issues." (You'll want the former.) So to very literally test the waters, we dispatched our reporters to search out the best inland destinations within driving distance of Boston. They came back with these nine freshwater gems, and, for each, an itinerary for the perfect stay. Lake neophytes, rest assured: You'll never miss the salt.
CONNECTICUT
Lake Waramaug: The Classic

NEW HAMPSHIRE
Squam Lake: The Anti-Winnipesaukee
Lake Winnipesaukee: The All-in-one

MAINE
Rangeley Lake: The Wild One
Damariscotta Lake: Maine Without the Pain

MASSACHUSETTS
Long Pond: The Best of Both

VERMONT
Lake Willoughby: The Looker
Lake Champlain: The Big One
Silver Lake: Mayberry Redux
Also, read The Case for the Lakes.

mcdude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2009, 07:47 PM   #2
hazelnut

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcdude View Post

scroll down and click on Lake Winnipesaukee to see what they have to say. Then be sure to read the comments (below) from our friends over at Cow Island!
mcdude, I have to confess that one of my friends who visits twice a year planted that little seed. ha ha ha. He was worried Cow Island would be invaded due to the publicity!

I suppose I should come clean about the "Hot Dog Cannon." Well it is real and it is pretty cool. Take one steel pipe (Threaded) fill with water, put end of pipe in water, load hot dog in the steel nozzle, thread on to pipe, watch 1 inch hot dog try to squeeze through 1/4 inch nozzle and, BOOOM! Steam explosion complete with hot dog chum! Fish love it! We have some pretty fat dumb happy fish around my beach.
hazelnut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2009, 12:31 PM   #3
ClosetExtrovert

Now I KNOW these replies were from you posters. LOL

Man from Camp
Posted by Anonymous | Jun. 23, 2009 at 1:46 PM

COMMENT:
I don't think that Cow Island is secluded or quiet. The last time I went past that island in my glastron foreflite, we were hit by hot dog fragments from some camp which had an impromptu hot dog cannon aimed out over the lake. When we got closer to the island to try and see what was going on we came across a 20ft high bonfire with black smoke and about 40 men running around swearing and throwing bag of gasoline around wily nily. One skinny guy had NO CLOTHES on. That island is far from secluded and peaceful. Don't look for any R & R there. Just Stay Away! HA HA HA
Posted by Anonymous | Jun. 23, 2009 at 2:40 PM

COMMENT:
Man from Camp is trying to keep our little Island paradise a secret!!! ha ha ha Cow Island
Posted by Anonymous | Jun. 23, 2009 at 2:45 PM

COMMENT:
The Hot Dogs on Cow Island are the best..not to mention the free entertainment! Will have to go back since we missed the skinny guy that had no clothes on.... Skittles
Posted by Anonymous | Jun. 23, 2009 at 3:54 PM

COMMENT:
Diving around Cow Island is a real treat! Who knew there would be so much candy at the bottom of the Lake.
ClosetExtrovert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2009, 02:41 PM   #4
hazelnut

Quote:
Originally Posted by ClosetExtrovert View Post
Now I KNOW these replies were from you posters. LOL

Man from Camp
Posted by Anonymous | Jun. 23, 2009 at 1:46 PM

COMMENT:
I don't think that Cow Island is secluded or quiet. The last time I went past that island in my glastron foreflite, we were hit by hot dog fragments from some camp which had an impromptu hot dog cannon aimed out over the lake. When we got closer to the island to try and see what was going on we came across a 20ft high bonfire with black smoke and about 40 men running around swearing and throwing bag of gasoline around wily nily. One skinny guy had NO CLOTHES on. That island is far from secluded and peaceful. Don't look for any R & R there. Just Stay Away! HA HA HA
Posted by Anonymous | Jun. 23, 2009 at 2:40 PM

COMMENT:
Man from Camp is trying to keep our little Island paradise a secret!!! ha ha ha Cow Island
Posted by Anonymous | Jun. 23, 2009 at 2:45 PM

COMMENT:
The Hot Dogs on Cow Island are the best..not to mention the free entertainment! Will have to go back since we missed the skinny guy that had no clothes on.... Skittles
Posted by Anonymous | Jun. 23, 2009 at 3:54 PM

COMMENT:
Diving around Cow Island is a real treat! Who knew there would be so much candy at the bottom of the Lake.

Yes, Yes, Yes & Yes Just a few knuckleheads (self included) having a little fun.
Old 06-29-2009, 04:33 PM   #5
Mee-n-Mac

Talking This means war !

Quote:
Originally Posted by hazelnut View Post
Yes, Yes, Yes & Yes Just a few knuckleheads (self included) having a little fun.
What a bunch of hot dogs. Well those of us in the boating community won't take this foot long missile attack lying down. I've got a perfect place to mount one of these babies (see below) on the aft deck. Then it'll be time for shore bombardment. Invasion to follow when we can find someone who won't drown on the way from boat to shore.

The Balloon Bazooka ...
Attached Images

Sponsored Links
Old 06-29-2009, 08:33 PM   #6
alsadad

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mee-n-Mac View Post
What a bunch of hot dogs. Well those of us in the boating community won't take this foot long missile attack lying down. I've got a perfect place to mount one of these babies (see below) on the aft deck. Then it'll be time for shore bombardment. Invasion to follow when we can find someone who won't drown on the way from boat to shore.
Mee -- My son and I will be happy to support the shore bombardment with our potato guns. My brother-in-law is an Admiral (seriously). Perhaps I can get some strategic pointers from him.

Damn the frankfurters. Full speed ahead!
alsadad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2009, 05:42 AM   #7
VtSteve

Default Squam description

This was the model for some for Winni as well.

BETTER KNOWN AS ITS FILM alter ego, Golden Pond, the real Squam is just as WASPy and nostalgically naturalist as the Fonda-Hepburn classic. In summer, New Hampshire's second-largest lake is a blue-green ripple of forested islands and old-money estates discreetly tucked away from stretches of untrampled shoreline. Geographically, Squam sits 10 miles northwest of Winnipesaukee; culturally, it's closer to a million. Noisy jet skis and oily-fumed cigarette speedboats are banned here, and the booze-'n'-fireworks riffraff prefers the ecumenical trashiness of that other lake's Weirs Beach. Boating is generally low-impact, with the rare mahogany Chris-Craft zipping along. Not for beach lovers, Squam's shoreline is rocky and shallow, so most swimming is done off boats or docks. Nearby Holderness and Center Harbor are home to farm stands and a few small shops, but the lake's main attractions are noncommercial: sunning, berry picking, trailing a hand through the water as someone else paddles. Evenings wind down to the call of a loon, the clink of ice cubes in a gin and tonic, and conversation against a radio turned low. Pack nothing fashionable. - Katherine Bowers
VtSteve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2009, 06:48 AM   #8
JTA

Default Guernsey Island

Yes! This was the Cow Island of days gone by. Very Squamish.
I personally have been trying to upgrade the current perception of C.I. For example, I only use the island's proper name, Guernsey Island. I also have several colors of sweats (shirt and pants match), and several levels of blue jeans which I vary depending upon the occasion. The occasional bacchanalian event on CI needs to be overlooked ... this is not our true identity. (although it's true that you might get blasted by a hot dog or potato gun if you come in too close ... say 149 feet)

Last edited by JTA; 06-30-2009 at 06:51 AM. Reason: change word
JTA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2009, 07:03 AM   #9
This'nThat

Quote:
Originally Posted by VtSteve View Post
...but the lake's main attractions are noncommercial: sunning, berry picking, trailing a hand through the water as someone else paddles. Evenings wind down to the call of a loon, the clink of ice cubes in a gin and tonic, and conversation against a radio turned low. Pack nothing fashionable. - Katherine Bowers
That also describes Winnipesaukee to a T -- till the party boat shows up!
This'nThat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2009, 08:06 AM   #10
hazelnut

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mee-n-Mac View Post

The Balloon Bazooka ...
Oooooooohhhh I LIKE IT!!!! I want to get me one of those...... Fire away and then open wide for some delicious hot dog chum headed your way!
Old 06-30-2009, 03:22 PM   #11
Mee-n-Mac

Talking Operation Cottage

Quote:
Oooooooohhhh I LIKE IT!!!! I want to get me one of those...... Fire away and then open wide for some delicious hot dog chum headed your way!
What no condiments ! I relish the upcoming confrontation then !! I figure we can get a coupla PWCs outfitted with torpedoes and send them in for the initial attack and to take out the defense radars. Then the heavy cruisers can move in an do a spud and balloon barrage that will make the re-taking of Kiska I look like a cakewalk. Our victory will be complete when we cook hamburgers (with ketchup, mustard and cheese) over the roaring fires of Cow I and the skinny guy dances with his clothes on !

Just 1 question .....

Does anyone know how I can get torpedoes to jump from the water and run on land ? Mebbe I should settle for some super-soakers and really stern taunting with megaphones ....

Last edited by Mee-n-Mac; 06-30-2009 at 03:25 PM. Reason: add title
Mee-n-Mac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2009, 07:30 PM   #12
hazelnut

Those super soakers BETTER be loaded with BEER!

OR ELSE it might be Kilbasa in those cannons!!!
Old 06-30-2009, 09:32 PM   #13
Mee-n-Mac

Talking War, what is it good for .... ?

Quote:
Those super soakers BETTER be loaded with BEER!

OR ELSE it might be Kilbasa in those cannons!!!
.... apparently a free meal and drink.

Now we're talking ! I happen to like keilbasa. Not sure beer in the supersoakers will work, might foam up too much. How about beer in the bazooka balloons and a nice white wine in the SS's ? I could put magarita in the SS's but that stuff is "to kill ya".

Now all we need to do is report simultaneously multiple incidences of Baja's doing 47 mph in both Center Harbor and Alton Bay (to waylay the NHMP) and it's War Baby !
Old 07-01-2009, 09:18 AM   #14
hazelnut

Bring it on!

I'm headed to Hannafords to buy some natural casing franks, they really snap outta the cannon at a high velocity!!!

I like the white wine supersoakers, less staining.
Old 07-01-2009, 09:24 AM   #15
Woodsy

It seems I need to hang out over on Cow Is a little more often!
Old 07-01-2009, 06:34 PM   #16
hazelnut

Quote:
Originally Posted by Woodsy View Post
It seems I need to hang out over on Cow Is a little more often!
You know where to find me... I'll keep an open dock space for you!