Go Back   Winnipesaukee Forum > Winnipesaukee Forums > Home, Cottage or Land Maintenance
Home Forums Gallery Webcams Blogs YouTube Channel Classifieds Calendar Register FAQDonate Members List Today's Posts

Old 12-26-2008, 01:07 PM   #1
Water Camper

Default Considering a Boat Lift

I am considering putting in a seasonal boat lift. I have no power at the water so it would have to be self contained (manual or battery operated). The boat is a FourWinns 225 Sundowner.

Can anyone give advice as to permitting requirements, advice/opinions on what to look for in a lift and thoughts on how I could remove and install. I am located on Paugus Bay, along Weirs Boulevard, so the lift would either need to come apart or be put on my landing.

Thoughts/opinions would be greatly appreciated,

Thank You,
Bill Poulin
Water Camper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2008, 01:33 PM   #2
Frank

We have a hydraulic Sunstream lift (http://www.sunstreamcorp.com/Sunlift.htm) for our 26' Formula. It is powered by a marine battery that is recharged by a small solar panel, all contained in one box that sits on the doc and connects to the lift via a couple of hoses. We got the lift some years ago at Watermark. The permitting process back then was pretty simple, but I don't know what you have to do now.

We have Winnipesaukee Marine come by and put our lift in in the spring and take it out in the fall. We leave it out on our dock during the winter (we have a large dock). But, a few (4 or 5?) strong guys could do that in/out work too - our situation is complicated because the lift is placed inside the U of a U-shaped dock, so we can't just drag in into the water from the beach, as the water outside the U is pretty deep. We would have to float it and swim it in. It is easier to just have a crane lift it and place it. YMMV.

We love the lift! It has a remote control and is very easy to use; we can raise and lower it from the boat. On rough days it is worth its weight in gold as our boat stays secure even in the worst weather.

Good luck!
Frank
Frank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2008, 02:14 PM   #3
Little Bear

Thumbs up Ditto that

Another vote for Sunstream Lift and Watermark. I have 2 of the hydraulic Sunstream lifts that I had purchased from, and installed by Watermark. The lifts keep the boats high and dry, and also keep the boat bottom clean all season long.
Little Bear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2008, 02:45 PM   #4
Lakepilot

Likewise we have a hydraulic lift from Watermark for our 25' Cobalt.We have them take it out and put it in every year. They will get any permits if needed.
Lakepilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2008, 07:30 AM   #5
Water Camper

Default Watermark

Where is Watermark located ?

Thanks,
Bill
Sponsored Links
Old 12-27-2008, 07:54 AM   #6
upthesaukee

Thanked 1,938 Times in 1,072 Posts
Default Here's their website

Quote:
Originally Posted by Water Camper View Post
Where is Watermark located ?

Thanks,
Bill

http://www.docksource.com/

Happy New Year
Old 12-29-2008, 10:20 AM   #7
SIKSUKR

Across from the airport off rt11 in Gilford.
Old 12-29-2008, 12:28 PM   #8
Pricestavern

Quote:
Originally Posted by Little Bear View Post
Another vote for Sunstream Lift and Watermark. I have 2 of the hydraulic Sunstream lifts that I had purchased from, and installed by Watermark. The lifts keep the boats high and dry, and also keep the boat bottom clean all season long.
A 3rd positive vote for Sunstream. Living on the Broads-side and not having a breakwater, the lift is worth every penny. Watermark does a great job, too. We store ours on top of the dock in the winter, too. Very sturdy, easy to use, self contained. Keeps the dock from being beaten up by the boat, too.
Pricestavern is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2008, 09:13 PM   #9
fatlazyless

You can find a totally manual lift by Shore Station, Shore Master, and Hewitt in the classified. One big advantage that the wire cable-elevator lifts have over the Sunstream hydraulic-electric powered is they give you a staging girder on both sides of the boat which is good for working on the boat. Plus, they are like $5000. less expensive than a Sunstream hydrauiic. Suggest you check out the Shore Station 3600lb model Also, a 12v or 110v motor is available for about $500. extra as an add-on, later on..
Old 12-29-2008, 09:19 PM   #10
codeman671

We have two of the Sunstream mini-lifts and they work great. These are the smaller, 2000lb capacity for small boats or pwc. I have looked into putting a few larger lifts in and will either end up with Sunstream seasonal or a Hi-Tide permanent lifts as my dock is permanent.

The permitting process is easy for a seasonal lift. It must be in an existing slip, it cannot be placed adjacent to a slip in order to add additional parking.
codeman671 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2008, 09:35 PM   #11
ishoot308

Thanked 5,105 Times in 1,984 Posts
Default Toon Lift

Codeman;

Do you use a lift for your Manitou also?? If so which brand?

Thanks!

Dan
ishoot308 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2008, 11:42 AM   #12
Water Camper

Default Classified

FLL,

Which Classified are you referring to ?

Bill
Old 12-30-2008, 07:11 PM   #13
fatlazyless

For finding boatlifts in the classified try doing a search of Shore Station, or Shore Master, or Hewitt, or just 'boat lift' in the craigslist-new hampshire boats section. Also, boat lifts are somewhat popular on Lake Champlain so craigslist-vermont is worth a search. Ditto for craigslist-massachusetts and probably maine.

To legally transport an assembled boat lift over the road in New Hampshire without a wide load permit, it needs to be 8'6" wide maximum, and can be hauled with a snowmobile trailer. Also, they can be partially disassembled. So, unless it is a very large boatlift, the width is probably not a problem, as typically the width is maybe 8'5 1/2"wide.
Old 12-30-2008, 07:34 PM   #14
fatlazyless

Ok, so I just googled "boat lift craigslist" and the first page has nine different boat lift listings from different craigslists in Chicago, Milwaukee, Minneapolis, Fort Wayne, Muskegon, Madison, Detroit, Chicago, Appleton. No doubt, all are too far for a New Hampshire purchase but what with the photographs and listing info, you start to get a boat lift education.

Maybe post a listing in craigslist-new hampshire-boat for "Want to buy-your old boatlift-anyone thinking about upgrading their old lift for a super-duper, big money Sunsation hydraulic-electric if only you can unload the old cable-aluminum lift by Shore Station, Shore Master or Hewitt. Will be happy to come and remove it!

The older style definately have their advantages, because they are not just a lift, but they are also a staging that provides a catwalk on both sides which is handy for waxing and repairs. Something that the Sunsations design do not have as they are a totally different animal.
Old 12-30-2008, 10:26 PM   #15
codeman671

Quote:
Originally Posted by ishoot308 View Post
Codeman;

Do you use a lift for your Manitou also?? If so which brand?

Thanks!

Dan
No, we don't use a lift on the Manitou. I keep it on an outer slip on the inside away from boat wake or if the dock is empty on an inside slip 4 way tied.

I don't think a Sunstream is a good option for a tritoon like the manitou, unless you plan on modifying it extensively. Glenn at Watermark told me at one point that the mfg was working on an option to work with tritoons but I am not sure where that went. Either a vertical or cantilever style with multiple bunks would be a better fit.
codeman671 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2008, 08:11 AM   #16
ApS

Cool Not a Lift, but Has a Winter-Storage Advantage...

Quote:
"...I am considering putting in a seasonal boat lift. I have no power at the water..."
I've just photographed a neighbor's solution here in Florida, though it's not technically a lift.

After about a week's processing of this particular film, I can display the nifty design—which is nearly finished. It doesn't appear to fit his present 22' boat, so it remains to be seen just what boat it's for!
Maybe a pontoon boat?

Think of a modified boat trailer: it consists of a series of rubber rollers (maybe 60 or 80) mounted in three aluminum racks on 4-inch concrete stands. The stationary rack is designed to pull the boat out of the water and support it.

While it's a large and intensive use of human labor to install, labor should come cheaper and very-much-appreciated in this present economy.

ETA:
It turns out that this is to store two Jet-Skis and his usual outboard boat (which is not a pontoon or tri-toon boat).

The unit arrives from the factory with a manual trailer-style winch, but the owner is adding solar panels to drive his three 12-volt winches. (One for each boat).

By coincidence, he had just pulled up his main boat for the first time today.

Last edited by ApS; 01-01-2009 at 06:03 AM. Reason: Questioned owner today...
ApS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2009, 01:48 PM   #17
Mike M.

If you want to check craigslist around the NH area at the same time try:

http://www.craigshelper.com/

good luck,
Mike
Mike M. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2009, 05:13 AM   #18
ApS

Question Lift? or Ramp?

Quote:
"...I am considering putting in a seasonal boat lift. I have no power at the water so it would have to be self contained..."
I'd have electric power professionally added, but I did finally get a photo of my winter-neighbor's entirely solar-powered boat ramp—while in use. (This neighbor, like my Tuftonboro summer-neighbor Marriott, is a multi-millionaire hotel magnate ).

To either side of the boat are Jet-Ski ramps, with their own battery-powered winches and smaller rollers. All three are mounted on a concrete platform with concrete supports—all home-crafted and home-poured by the homeowner himself!

Depending on its construction, you may not need a permit. As far as I know, a boat could be winterized on-site, and the ramp used for winter storage as well.
Attached Images

Old 06-24-2009, 07:58 AM   #19
fatlazyless

Hey Acres - getting a concrete ramp like in your multi-millionaire-neighbor's photo approved by the DES could now be difficult. So's apparently. there's palm trees growing on Lake Winnipesaukee?

What used to be the purvue of the town is now under first review by the state. Times have changed; for the town, waterfont construction was a long term gain and the local planning board wanted to say yes. For the DES, their concerns are very different from the local town.

Anyway, for about $500, the Shore Station lifts have an add-on electric motor for their large manually turned wheel, either 110v or 12v, and the 12v works good but is a lot slower than the 110v. An old junker car battery works ok as a power source and needs to be recharged maybe three times/summer.

Probably, the strength of the battery gets challenged by the weight of the boat. For a 1000-lb boat, a battery works fine. For a 3000-lb boat, you need a bigger battery or better, a 110v line with a trusted gfi installation.
Old 07-06-2009, 06:02 AM   #20
ApS

Wink Yup...Skip the Concrete Part...

Quote:
Originally Posted by fatlazyless View Post
"...getting a concrete ramp like in your multi-millionaire-neighbor's photo approved by the DES could now be difficult...What used to be the purvue of the town is now under first review by the state. Times have changed..."
For Lake Winnipesaukee, what I had in mind was a "non-permanent" ramp-base made of wood. You could make good use of stumps! (Pre-existing stumps, that is... )

I'd use a 4x6 frame and have the ability to "skid" the ramp away from the shoreline. (If ever required).

Lots of folks presently store their smaller boats on shore, so I don't see a problem with storing a somewhat larger boat on shore. Chaining the ramp to a tree would be a good option.