Go Back   Winnipesaukee Forum > Winnipesaukee Forums > Boating
Home Forums Gallery Webcams Blogs YouTube Channel Classifieds Calendar Register FAQDonate Members List Today's Posts

Old 09-22-2008, 07:39 AM   #1
Phantom

Default Does anyone Know What the True hazard is ??

Does anyone actually know what/where the true hazard is ?

This set of sticks has boggled my mind for years as I ALWAYS see boats going on the wrong side of the last stick. This weekend topped it off for me as I watched no less than 3 good size cruisers (28'+) and at least 2 recreational boats cut it wrong ................ thus my post.

The area: - (forgetting north/south) If you look at Eagle Island from the Weirs will be the perspective to keep it simple..... FL#44 to the far left has a Red top .... then there are 3 Black tops in a staggered line over to Eagle in addition there is 1 Red Top (Weirs side) somewhat in line with the second (middle) Black Top.

I continually see boats run between the Black Top closest to FL#44 and the middle Black Top ........ What am I missing?

Possible answers:
(1) They're lucky as #ell ? But I see so many do it!

(2) That Black Top has a rock right near it, other than that no hazards until your over by the middle Black Top..... I'll buy that - does look (to me) like the Red Top aligns with that middle Black Top indicating rocks between but perhaps not "beside"

(3) the area is simply not Deep Draft --- a la FL#1 and we all know there is plenty of water on both sides of that FL

Until someone can unabashedly prove to me whats down there I'll be sticking to my standard route (splitting the first Black Top and FL#44)
Old 09-22-2008, 09:02 AM   #2
SIKSUKR

First of all,you are spot on on your assesment.But,the only rock I've seen in that area is next to the red marker.Loal knowledge does help and I suspect two scenarios: First is that a lot of boaters are confused at those set of markers and simply go the wrong way without any consequences.Second I believe boats with a small draft would not have a problem going that route because all I show for hazards in that area is 4 foot depth by the marker closest to FL44.I know I almost always stay south of FL 2 cuz I know there are not any rocks,just a depth that can get less than 6 feet.I have a 1 foot draft and am not concerned.Could be either of these.
Old 09-22-2008, 09:44 AM   #3
PC31

I cut that bouy once by accident, no rocks but way to shallow for my liking.
I see boaters cut it al the time I think that they don't know any better.

Last edited by PC31; 03-12-2011 at 02:14 PM.
PC31 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2008, 08:34 PM   #4
jrc

I saw a boat cut through there on Sunday. The fact that Bizer's chart has a red X there is enough to keep me out.
jrc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2008, 10:50 AM   #5
The Big Kahuna

Default Cut through

I have cut through there before and never had a problem but I have a friend that advised me not to, he went through when the lake was at a low point and took off his outdrive. OUCH!
The Big Kahuna is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 09-23-2008, 11:16 AM   #6
kchace

Default Definitely shouldn't go through there

I've gone through there by accident and its not pretty. Its shallow and there *are* rocks, but only a few widely spaced ones. I made it through that one time. Another time I almost went through there but caught myself, cut power and turned around. As I was turning around I found myself driving right around a rock maybe 2' down.

Ken
kchace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2008, 11:20 AM   #7
sa meredith

Default rocks

Quote:
Originally Posted by kchace View Post
I've gone through there by accident and its not pretty. Its shallow and there *are* rocks, but only a few widely spaced ones. I made it through that one time. Another time I almost went through there but caught myself, cut power and turned around. As I was turning around I found myself driving right around a rock maybe 2' down.

Ken
I know that feeling....
sa meredith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2008, 12:05 PM   #8
MAXUM

Thanked 1,942 Times in 802 Posts

I've seen the same thing and not just there either. I don't think it's worth the risk to go through any area that's marked off, even if it is technically safe for a shallow drafted boat.
MAXUM is offline   Reply With Quote