Go Back   Winnipesaukee Forum > Winnipesaukee Forums > General Discussion
Home Forums Gallery Webcams Blogs YouTube Channel Classifieds Calendar Register FAQDonate Members List Today's Posts

Old 09-05-2005, 10:46 AM   #1
BroadHopper

Thanked 1,090 Times in 784 Posts
Question Timber Island

Someone put in docks on the West side of Timber Island. But there apperas to be no building on land. Is this a dock for people to enjoy the island like Stonedam Island????
Old 09-05-2005, 05:33 PM   #2
codeman671

I believe it to be private, I think that I know who owns that piece. I will give him a call and find out for sure if it is his.
codeman671 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2005, 10:35 AM   #3
Aquadeziac

Exclamation

I was by there over the weekend on my PWC doing some exploring. I just don't see how a boat with an exposed drive can get in there around all those rocks. I was barely missing some of them with my ski and I draw less than a foot of water. I made several passes and there was nothing but rocks. Closest I could imagine was floating in towards shore way to the West of the dock and walking a boat in the shallow water over to the dock. Even most small boats draw more water even with their drives up than than there is above those rocks. And there is a monster rock directly out from the center of those docks.
But, I was also told over the weekend by a lady at the Yacht Club where I slip my boat that she had seen a Real Estate ad for "Island Getaway Space" For Sale on Timber Island and the way she described it, you were buying part of a dock and beach rights, you couldn't build anything. She said the figure was $89K. Sounds like a dock/beach condo situation. Guess everybody will have to have porta-potties on their boats. Eeewwww....could get messy over there.
Old 09-06-2005, 12:14 PM   #4
SIKSUKR

I rode my pwc towards that dock a couple of weeks ago and turned back cuz of all the rocks.Like Aqua said,I only draw about a foot of draft.I'm wondering where boats would navigate to this dock.Then again,maybe they put the dock there on purpose to keep the not so thoughtfull rafters from using it.
Old 09-07-2005, 02:02 PM   #5
cabinfever

Default Timber is privately owned

Hello all, please note that Timber Island is privately owned in its entirety. There are new signs around the shoreline that indicate this. Docks were just constructed on the Mark Island side for a private home on that point. The last parcel with cottages on the side facing The Witches has just been sold, and there is already an occupied property on the West side. A conservation easement exists on part of the island, even though the whole 135-acre is privately owned. The easement is governed by The Lakes Region Trust and prohibits public use of the shoreline and acreage to protect the property in perpetuity.
cabinfever is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 09-07-2005, 02:21 PM   #6
BroadHopper

Thanked 1,090 Times in 784 Posts
Arrow Conservation easement???

A buddy of mine look into buying the island. His lawyer says the deed was written so that there will be no development on the island, except for the cottage on the east side. I'm surprise that LRCT will go against the original deed and allow development on the west side. I also notice in the cove on the South side, someone put up swim barriers along that beach. During the week, I see an old wooden boat beached next to the swim barrier and a family using the beach. I'm assuming they must be the new owners.
On the north side there are two inlets, it is very rocky but with care you can get into the inlets, If you look carefully, you can see boats anchored in the inlets at times.
Several boaters told me someone in a pontoon boat was going around the island one day and ask everyone to please not anchor next to the island. There is no signs saying such. Just no trespassing on the island. Maybe the LRCT should notify the public what is their intent.

Last edited by BroadHopper; 09-07-2005 at 02:29 PM. Reason: spelling
BroadHopper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2005, 05:45 PM   #7
cabinfever

Your friend was misinformed. There are three buildable parcels on different sides of the island. Two already have cottages and allow additional structures or reconstruction, and the Mark Island side property has full construction privileges. A large section of acreage separate from these buildable lots has the conservation easement where buildings and public access are prohibited. However, the three private owners have full access to the trails, beaches, etc, -- everything other than building -- and are responsible for the property. The entire island is well marked with No Trespassing / Private Property signs to alert the public, as suggested by Forum contributors last summer after the first parcels were sold, as well as Marine Patrol. If you saw someone with a wooden boat using the beach, unfortunately they were trespassing. Everyone absolutely has a right to the water, but not to privately owned property - beaches, homes, or land. NH waterfront property owners also have a legal right to be able to access their property from the water - maybe some of the anchored boats were blocking entry to a property in this instance you mention above. Not sure. As one of the island's owners, I know that none of us has a pontoon boat. Over the summer, we were told that people on PWCs were claiming to be the owners and kicking people off the rope swing. The owners don't have PWCs either. Mystery unsolved.

Last edited by cabinfever; 09-07-2005 at 06:03 PM. Reason: addendum
cabinfever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2005, 07:29 PM   #8
Bear Islander

When the LRCT, or any other organization, has a conservation easement on a piece of property it doesn't mean they own it or control it or that the property is open to the public. The LRCT will have a monitor visit the property once a year to make sure that the land is not being developed and that the conditions of the easement are being honored. If necessary the LRCT can take legal action to prevent development.

It's just a legal way to tie property in knots so it can never be developed.
Bear Islander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2005, 04:28 PM   #9
wires1999

I'm sure there won't be much if any building on that island. If what I can remember it is very, very rock like. Known as timber island because of all the fallen trees due to the inability of a good root system, I bet. Though I've seen buildings go up in the most unlikely lots so maybe I'll be proven wrong. Could always have a post type foundation I guess. To the owner of the property: is there power on that island yet?
wires1999 is offline   Reply With Quote