Go Back   Winnipesaukee Forum > Winnipesaukee Forums > General Discussion
Home Forums Gallery Webcams Blogs YouTube Channel Classifieds Calendar Register FAQDonate Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Closed Thread

Old 05-09-2018, 01:48 PM   #1
webmaster

Thanked 3,691 Times in 819 Posts
Default The Dive?

I just saw that a new service is supposed to open this year on the lake. What do you think?:

Quote:
Our business is called The Dive and it is a floating, 2400 square foot, 2 level bar and quick order food venue. There are 3 different aspects to it;

1) We will be anchoring on the sand bars for all of the boaters to enjoy food, ice cream and drinks and a fun atmosphere with tvs and music. There is also a retail store with anything one might need if out on the lake for the day.

2) We have a first-of-its-kind boat drive through window (aka the Dive Thru). Customers can order food ahead on our mobile app or through our website - and they will receive a text when they can come to the window to get their order. No need to anchor or find dock space!

3) We will also be booking private VIP charters, events and weddings. There is a huge market for weddings on the lake and there are not a lot of options. Booze cruises, live bands, karaoke and other ticketed events will also be planned for our customers. For those events - we will pick up our customers at a public dock.
https://www.facebook.com/thedivelakewinni/
Attached Images

Old 05-09-2018, 01:54 PM   #2
rsmlp

Default Dive

A) Is this for real?

b) hard to believe there's enough business to justify but hey, I could be wrong. Certainly will be a regular at Braun Bay! maybe do alright on the weekends and holidays but the lake is quiet otherwise-which I like!
Old 05-09-2018, 02:17 PM   #3
Barney Bear

Default Question

Any pole dancers? 😜
Old 05-09-2018, 03:40 PM   #4
noreast

Good option for the times you want a quick meal but can't get a spot. I don't always have my grill. I hope it works out. Or I'll complain about it being to loud. I haven't decided yet.
Old 05-09-2018, 03:48 PM   #5
Descant

Thanked 1,492 Times in 970 Posts
Default How big again?

2400 sf on two decks means 1200 sf +/- in the water. That's a lot to move from place to place, get anchored and start serving customers. Curious where she (it?) will be home ported. Good luck.
Sponsored Links
Old 05-09-2018, 03:49 PM   #6
Hillcountry

Hard to believe this would be allowed in a state that doesn’t let you fart out there never mind have a floating disco bar...I call bs
Old 05-09-2018, 07:09 PM   #7
Cal Coon

I go boating because I love being on my boat, on the water, driving around, exploring the lake, not inside a bar or restaurant. I have a car for that. I can go to a bar or restaurant ANYTIME, but I can't go boating anytime. Unfortunately for me, the only boating I can do is on weekends, so I bring my own food and drinks, and eat on the boat which I enjoy. The last thing I want to do is fight for a slip in (name your town), and go INSIDE on a bright, beautiful, sunshiny day and pay 8.50 for a diet coke. No thanks. If I was fortunate enough to be able to go boating during the week when the lake is quiet, I would much rather take the boat (instead of the car), and go out to eat somewhere on the lake and pay the 8.50 for that diet coke!!! Somewhat of a hypocrite, I'm just not into fighting the crowd on wkends...
Old 05-09-2018, 07:33 PM   #8
jbolty

I can see this being a big hit for about 12 weekends in the summer, minus the rainy ones.

Maybe not paying for real estate leasing will make them profitable.

Who knows? Wish them well like any new business. Taking a risk is not easy in time or money.
Old 05-09-2018, 07:53 PM   #9
thinkxingu

Thanked 1,957 Times in 1,209 Posts

Ugh. Call me a curmudgeon, Luddite, whatever--I just want simplicity on the lake, the second-to-last holdout against an increasingly complex "real world." (The mountains are the first holdout, but those are under assault, too)

Sent from my Moto G (5S) Plus using Tapatalk
Old 05-09-2018, 08:11 PM   #10
Hillcountry

Quote:
Originally Posted by thinkxingu View Post
Ugh. Call me a curmudgeon, Luddite, whatever--I just want simplicity on the lake, the second-to-last holdout against an increasingly complex "real world." (The mountains are the first holdout, but those are under assault, too)

Couldn’t agree more...
Old 05-10-2018, 02:48 AM   #11
ApS

Cool Luddite / Curmudgeon here...

Quote:
Fortunately, our view of the mountains doesn't include a water-bottling plant.

Old 05-10-2018, 04:23 AM   #12
thinkxingu

Quote:
Originally Posted by ApS View Post
Fortunately, our view of the mountains doesn't include a water-bottling plant.

I was referring more to the increasing technology and crowds found on the trail.

Old 05-10-2018, 04:44 AM   #13
Cal Coon

Quote:
I was referring more to the increasing technology and crowds found on the trail.

I thought we were supposed to "celebrate diversity"...
Old 05-10-2018, 04:45 AM   #14
Sinclair

From their website (http://thedive-nh.com/gallery/) it does look real but early stage. Not sure if it will be ready this season.

As a layperson it's hard for me to tell, but it appears they will need to comply with standard restaurant permitting requirements and standard boat permitting requirements, but nothing that is specific to the intersection of restaurants and boating.

Sent from my iPhone using Winnipesaukee Forum mobile app
Old 05-10-2018, 06:18 AM   #15
smith point boater

Default Facebook Page

https://www.facebook.com/thedivelakewinni/

They have a Facebook page. Will be interesting to see if it happens
Old 05-10-2018, 07:51 AM   #16
codeman671

I saw an ad this morning that they are looking for a chef for this season, so it seems that it is moving along and will be a reality soon.
Old 05-10-2018, 08:29 AM   #17
Poor Richard

That kitchen exhaust will eventually be dripping food product into the lake.

Other than that, seems like a perfect place for the city dwellers to have their city fix while they're away at the lake for the weekend.
Old 05-10-2018, 09:47 AM   #18
Dblblkdiam

If some recall, there was something similar on the lake years ago. I want to say around the late 90's. Wish I had a picture of it. Was basically a two level floating barge that people could charter. Not sure what ever happened to it, whether it was lack of business or something else.

Wish these folks good luck in their new business.
Old 05-10-2018, 09:56 AM   #19
Rusty

Nothing ventured, nothing gained.
I hope it works for them and I wish them luck.
Old 05-10-2018, 10:01 AM   #20
Seaplane Pilot

We might as well start with the negative food reviews now....why wait?

I wish them success!
Old 05-10-2018, 10:02 AM   #21
thinkxingu

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cal Coon View Post
I thought we were supposed to "celebrate diversity"...
Not an issue with diversity, an issue with interpretation of use. The last two hikes I was on, people had portable speakers playing loudly BEHIND their backpacks. Grrr... Hike your own hike/navigate your own vessel, but without affecting others' experience negatively.

I don't know what impact this will have, if any, and I'm never looking for businesses to fail, so I'm hoping for the best!

Old 05-10-2018, 10:45 AM   #22
joey2665

Thanked 1,007 Times in 648 Posts

Their facebook page says they are working on final touches and that was on May 8th. Also says there are more sneak peek photos on instagram but I do not have an account
Old 05-10-2018, 01:13 PM   #23
noreast

Quote:
Not an issue with diversity, an issue with interpretation of use. The last two hikes I was on, people had portable speakers playing loudly BEHIND their backpacks. Grrr... Hike your own hike/navigate your own vessel, but without affecting others' experience negatively.

I don't know what impact this will have, if any, and I'm never looking for businesses to fail, so I'm hoping for the best!

Me too, Last time I hiked a mountain I was almost murdered by a group of hikers blasting music. Off course my opening line was "are you F-ing kidding me" so we didn't get off on the right foot. I know how dumb it is but I like to hike alone, become one with all that is.
Old 05-10-2018, 01:29 PM   #24
Hillcountry

Quote:
Originally Posted by noreast View Post
Me too, Last time I hiked a mountain I was almost murdered by a group of hikers blasting music. Off course my opening line was "are you F-ing kidding me" so we didn't get off on the right foot. I know how dumb it is but I like to hike alone, become one with all that is.
My theory has always been “eventually, all things outdoors that provide solitude and personal happiness will most likely be ruined by the masses”
I’ve found this true in all things outdoors, pretty much.

Last edited by Hillcountry; 05-10-2018 at 06:32 PM.
Old 05-10-2018, 03:46 PM   #25
Rattletrap

What's this thing going to do when the wind starts whipping and the lake gets angry?
Old 05-10-2018, 03:52 PM   #26
thinkxingu

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hillcountry View Post
My theory has always been “eventually, all things outdoors that provide solitude and personal happiness will most likely be ruined my the masses”
This is the most depressing thing I've seen in weeks.

The Following User Says Thank You to thinkxingu For This Useful Post:
mishman (09-15-2018)
Old 05-10-2018, 04:07 PM   #27
kawishiwi

Default Three years...

I would think 3 years is the max for this. First year "everybody" will visit, say "that was cool" and likely not return. Add in 2 seasons of it being rented for summer lakeside weddings & such I think it winds up either sold to become on the water patio attached to an existing restaurant or its parked in someones field.
Old 05-10-2018, 04:19 PM   #28
rsmlp

Quote:
Originally Posted by kawishiwi View Post
I would think 3 years is the max for this. First year "everybody" will visit, say "that was cool" and likely not return. Add in 2 seasons of it being rented for summer lakeside weddings & such I think it winds up either sold to become on the water patio attached to an existing restaurant or its parked in someones field.

Nope. Maybe this year but that will be it. My wife wants to go but I'm captain of the boat and I disdain the idea. There's just something-irreverent about it...
Old 05-10-2018, 04:26 PM   #29
kawishiwi

Default Wafting burger smell...

Quote:
Originally Posted by rsmlp View Post
Nope. Maybe this year but that will be it. My wife wants to go but I'm captain of the boat and I disdain the idea. There's just something-irreverent about it...
Sooner or later you'll be out boating and catch a whiff of grilled burger wafting over the waves, imagine a cold one to go with it, and you will buckle, once. 😎
Old 05-10-2018, 04:57 PM   #30
rsmlp

Quote:
Originally Posted by kawishiwi View Post
Sooner or later you'll be out boating and catch a whiff of grilled burger wafting over the waves, imagine a cold one to go with it, and you will buckle, once. 😎
Ha! Perchance you are right-especially if my wife is with me
Old 05-10-2018, 06:08 PM   #31
Cal Coon

Quote:
My theory has always been “eventually, all things outdoors that provide solitude and personal happiness will most likely be ruined my the masses”
Not trying to be a jerk, but, did it ever occur to you that they ("the masses") are saying the same thing about you, me, and everyone else? It's a two way street... I hate crowds too, but we must learn to live, and let live, and deal with it, or find another hobby. Maybe if we STOPPED the "masses" from coming into this country ILLEGALLY in the first place, there would be less of a "crowd" on the trails, lakes, Mtns, etc... Karma is a b****!!
Old 05-10-2018, 06:14 PM   #32
thinkxingu

Quote:
Did it ever occur to you that they ("the masses") are saying the same thing about you? It's a two way street... I hate crowds too, but we must learn to live, and let live, and deal with it, or find another hobby. Maybe if we STOPPED the "masses" from coming into this country ILLEGALLY in the first place, there would be less of a crowd on the trails, lakes, Mtns, etc... Karma is a b****!!
This is absurd.

Old Sarge (05-12-2018)
Old 05-10-2018, 06:37 PM   #33
Hillcountry

Quote:
Not trying to be a jerk, but, did it ever occur to you that they ("the masses") are saying the same thing about you, me, and everyone else? It's a two way street... I hate crowds too, but we must learn to live, and let live, and deal with it, or find another hobby. Maybe if we STOPPED the "masses" from coming into this country ILLEGALLY in the first place, there would be less of a "crowd" on the trails, lakes, Mtns, etc... Karma is a b****!!
Not at all...I avoid the “masses” at all costs. They’ve already ruined most places. I have learned the secret of how to avoid them and I ain’t sharing.
(But it really is simple)
Old 05-10-2018, 07:12 PM   #34
Outdoorsman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seaplane Pilot View Post
We might as well start with the negative food reviews now....why wait?

I wish them success!
I was thinking noise complaints.

Same on the success portion.
Old 05-10-2018, 07:42 PM   #35
gravy boat

Default You recall correctly

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dblblkdiam View Post
If some recall, there was something similar on the lake years ago. I want to say around the late 90's. Wish I had a picture of it. Was basically a two level floating barge that people could charter. Not sure what ever happened to it, whether it was lack of business or something else.

Wish these folks good luck in their new business.
Yes, it was a party barge. Good idea but the person who built it didn't understand or research the potential challenges - permitting, inspections, liquor license, where to park it during off-hours, etc. At first he wanted to dock it at the Weirs like the old Aishling from Patrick's did but I recall the Weirs Action Committee and City put an end to that option pretty fast.

I think it only lasted a few summers before languishing in the cove on Stonedam and then being taken apart. But the first summer or two seemed busy for it.

Was quite the sight, too - not something we are used to seeing.
Old 05-10-2018, 09:33 PM   #36
Sinclair

Quote:
Originally Posted by gravy boat View Post
Yes, it was a party barge. Good idea but the person who built it didn't understand or research the potential challenges - permitting, inspections, liquor license, where to park it during off-hours, etc. At first he wanted to dock it at the Weirs like the old Aishling from Patrick's did but I recall the Weirs Action Committee and City put an end to that option pretty fast.

I think it only lasted a few summers before languishing in the cove on Stonedam and then being taken apart. But the first summer or two seemed busy for it.

Was quite the sight, too - not something we are used to seeing.

One of the partners, Jamie, has a credible background according to his bio. He worked in marine construction and also managed a bar. Hopefully he will have done his research.

The branding does feel more Monte Carlo than Winnipesaukee. But perhaps it's one of those things, once it's been there for awhile it feels like it's always been there.
Old 05-11-2018, 04:06 AM   #37
Cal Coon

Quote:
This is absurd.

Please explain to me exactly what is so absurd to you? Sometimes the truth hurts, denial is not just a river in Egypt...
Old 05-11-2018, 04:38 AM   #38
thinkxingu

Quote:
Please explain to me exactly what is so absurd to you? Sometimes the truth hurts, denial is not just a river in Egypt...
Your suggestion that the reason hiking trails are overcrowded because of illegal immigration is absurd and xenophobic.

I also take great offense to your repeated use of the "denial" line--there are few things worse than unoriginality and repetition.

PaugusBayFireFighter (05-20-2018)
Old 05-11-2018, 06:16 AM   #39
The Real BigGuy

Quote:
Your suggestion that the reason hiking trails are overcrowded because of illegal immigration is absurd and xenophobic.

I also take great offense to your repeated use of the "denial" line--there are few things worse than unoriginality and repetition.

Old 05-11-2018, 06:38 AM   #40
ApS

Question Xenophilia?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sinclair View Post
One of the partners, Jamie, has a credible background according to his bio. He worked in marine construction and also managed a bar. Hopefully he will have done his research.

The branding does feel more Monte Carlo than Winnipesaukee. But perhaps it's one of those things, once it's been there for awhile it feels like it's always been there.
Like the Winnipesaukee Belle?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Outdoorsman View Post
I was thinking noise complaints. Same on the success portion.
My neighbors cheer the Winnipesaukee Belle, as it blasts "Mack the Knife" on its speakers.

As for "xenophobic", we never hear of its antonym, xenophilic.

Maybe because the Huron tribe was xenophilic?
xttps://indiangivers.wordpress.com/2012/11/15/huron-extinction/

Old 05-11-2018, 06:45 AM   #41
tis

Thanked 1,371 Times in 947 Posts

I think a lot of people will like it for weddings and parties. I don't know about the rest.
Old 05-11-2018, 07:50 AM   #42
ishoot308

Thanked 4,904 Times in 1,897 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by tis View Post
I think a lot of people will like it for weddings and parties. I don't know about the rest.
Hi Tis;

I agree with you but I think the Winni Belle has those types of venues pretty well taken care of, not to mention the Mount. The Winni Belle does a good job through the Wolfeboro Inn. Maybe there is room for another??....not sure, I guess time will tell.

I am very curious where they will be docking at however!

Dan
Old 05-11-2018, 12:23 PM   #43
tis

Hi I. I agree with you. The Winni Belle does seem to have it covered. They seem to be quite busy but they are mostly on this side of the lake so I was thinking maybe this new one will do quite well if they serve both sides of the lake. And though I haven't checked I assume the Mount is more expensive, but maybe not. You are right, time will tell.
Old 05-11-2018, 12:28 PM   #44
thinkxingu

Quote:
Hi I. I agree with you. The Winni Belle does seem to have it covered. They seem to be quite busy but they are mostly on this side of the lake so I was thinking maybe this new one will do quite well if they serve both sides of the lake. And though I haven't checked I assume the Mount is more expensive, but maybe not. You are right, time will tell.
Location definitely matters, but what about style? The other vessels noted are classic, whereas this is a box. Maybe that's one of my prejudices...

Old 05-11-2018, 01:02 PM   #45
Sinclair

Quote:
Location definitely matters, but what about style? The other vessels noted are classic, whereas this is a box. Maybe that's one of my prejudices...

Agreed. It seems discordant with the lake that way.
Old 05-11-2018, 02:07 PM   #46
LIforrelaxin

Location: Long Island, not that one, the one on Winnipesaukee

Interesting thread... and interesting business venture.

First I wish the business the best, and hope the kind find away to make it work.

If they can find a place to operate while tied to shore I am sure they will do fine. If they can't then they will have a very short season....
Old 05-11-2018, 03:03 PM   #47
tis

I don't know, think. I like the classic look too but maybe it's like houses. Some people like modern house styles and some like colonial etc.
Old 05-11-2018, 03:22 PM   #48
joey2665

Quote:
I don't know, think. I like the classic look too but maybe it's like houses. Some people like modern house styles and some like colonial etc.
I think this style speaks to the younger millennial crowd. Young singles with disposable cash.

Old 05-11-2018, 05:40 PM   #49
tis

You are probably right, Joey.
Old 05-12-2018, 08:57 AM   #50
Descant

Default Where is it?

The advertised size at 2400 sq ft is huge, even of you figure the size of the first deck at 1200 sq ft. Why has nobody on this Forum reported seeing such a vessel under construction, or where it is moored? Even if it is something modular, the components need to be launched and assembled someplace, presumably some place like a marina or marine railway. And it needs a homeport. Why don't we have reported rumors of where it will be homeported? Until I see some good rumors posted, I don't believe just a FB page.
"Like manure, a rumor is no good if you don't spread it."
Old 05-12-2018, 09:21 AM   #51
joey2665

Quote:
Originally Posted by Descant View Post
The advertised size at 2400 sq ft is huge, even of you figure the size of the first deck at 1200 sq ft. Why has nobody on this Forum reported seeing such a vessel under construction, or where it is moored? Even if it is something modular, the components need to be launched and assembled someplace, presumably some place like a marina or marine railway. And it needs a homeport. Why don't we have reported rumors of where it will be homeported? Until I see some good rumors posted, I don't believe just a FB page.

"Like manure, a rumor is no good if you don't spread it."
According to Facebook their are sneak peek photos on Instagram. However I do not have an account. Maybe some here can check and post photos.

Old 05-12-2018, 09:44 AM   #52
Descant

Default Pix

There are pictures of the barge under construction on the Dive website. No indication of where and I can't tell from the pix. www.thedive-NH.com
Old 05-12-2018, 02:51 PM   #53
Descant

I emailed and got a prompt reply. A good sign. They are planning to be in operation late May, early June. Price structure for charters and private parties has not been set yet. The upper deck alone will hold 80 people. They said they would come to my location in Gilford with no transit charge, so I guess they're not far away. I wonder if you could rent one deck for a private party and the other deck open to the public as they do on the Mount? Not clear if they do cruises or just come to your (or other) location for a party.

Time for a Forum Fest 2018?
Old 05-12-2018, 03:19 PM   #54
Hillcountry

It appears that this thing is real...much to my amazement. I wonder what the draft is? I think the Mount is about 9’
Old 05-12-2018, 08:19 PM   #55
Cal Coon

Quote:

It is IMPOSSIBLE for me (or anyone for that matter), to be xenophobic because I/we do not support ILLEGAL immigration. That doesn't even make sense when we are referring to the laws of the land, it is just your way of (falsely) trying to "label" someone as a terrible person because you don't agree with them on something, and that is just wrong and says a lot about your credibility. It is a matter of breaking the law. We are a nation of laws and they MUST be obeyed or changed, NOT IGNORED. Based on your rationale, am I xenophobic because I am against rape and murder too?? Sounds pretty ridiculous, huh? I have no problem with anyone from anywhere coming into this country (LEGALLY) that wants to assimilate to the American dream and way of life!! IS THAT XENOPHOBIC??? The only thing worse than being unoriginal and repetitive is trying to be pretentious. If that offends you, I suggest a coloring book to help you get over it. Not trying to hijack this thread, I am all for the Dive, and wish it success even though it's not my "cup of tea". I am all for capitalism. Live, and let live. (Ooops, I repeated myself.) If I see it during my travels, I will definitely check it out if it's not to crowded, if for no other reason than to just be able to say I was on it. Maybe we will start seeing bumper stickers out there that say "I did the Dive", or "Do the Dive", or something to that effect that only knowledgeable Winnipesaukee boaters will recognize...!!

Last edited by Cal Coon; 05-12-2018 at 09:26 PM.
Old 05-12-2018, 09:21 PM   #56
ursa minor

Hey Cal, there must be 10,000 sites on the web where you can post and discuss political opinions; this isn't one of them. You're relatively new to the site, please enjoy it and contribute with your experiences here at the Lake. Thanks!
Biggd (05-14-2018), Descant (05-13-2018), Diana (05-14-2018), jbolty (05-12-2018), Joebon (05-13-2018), Just Sold (05-13-2018), KPW (05-14-2018), Merrymeeting (05-13-2018), Newbiesaukee (05-14-2018), noreast (05-13-2018), PaugusBayFireFighter (05-20-2018), Shreddy (05-14-2018), thinkxingu (05-13-2018), TiltonBB (05-13-2018), Twox48 (05-28-2018), webmaster (05-13-2018)
Old 05-12-2018, 09:38 PM   #57
Cal Coon

Quote:
Originally Posted by ursa minor View Post
Hey Cal, there must be 10,000 sites on the web where you can post and discuss political opinions; this isn't one of them. You're relatively new to the site, please enjoy it and contribute with your experiences here at the Lake. Thanks!
No worries, I'm all done with this forum. To many snowflakes... Go Trump!!
Old 05-13-2018, 06:46 AM   #58
Hillcountry

Quote:
Originally Posted by joey2665 View Post
I think this style speaks to the younger millennial crowd. Young singles with disposable cash.

Ahhhh! Disposable cash! That must be what’s in those backpacks!
Old 05-13-2018, 07:11 AM   #59
ApS

Question I wonder about Braun Bay...

Quote:
It appears that this thing is real...much to my amazement. I wonder what the draft is? I think the Mount is about 9’
• The photographs show barge-like "post-anchors" at the corners: This makes sense, as "business" would be conducted in shallow water—and these would minimize the effects of wind direction and velocity.

• The final color shouldn't be gray, as the lake too-frequently has conditions of fog or haze.

• Using those four posts for stability, it wouldn't be technically "anchored" (any more than dock-barges are anchored) and could be "parked" in one place overnight—and all summer.
Old 05-13-2018, 09:25 AM   #60
noreast

Quote:
It is IMPOSSIBLE for me (or anyone for that matter), to be xenophobic because I/we do not support ILLEGAL immigration. That doesn't even make sense when we are referring to the laws of the land, it is just your way of (falsely) trying to "label" someone as a terrible person because you don't agree with them on something, and that is just wrong and says a lot about your credibility. It is a matter of breaking the law. We are a nation of laws and they MUST be obeyed or changed, NOT IGNORED. Based on your rationale, am I xenophobic because I am against rape and murder too?? Sounds pretty ridiculous, huh? I have no problem with anyone from anywhere coming into this country (LEGALLY) that wants to assimilate to the American dream and way of life!! IS THAT XENOPHOBIC??? The only thing worse than being unoriginal and repetitive is trying to be pretentious. If that offends you, I suggest a coloring book to help you get over it. Not trying to hijack this thread, I am all for the Dive, and wish it success even though it's not my "cup of tea". I am all for capitalism. Live, and let live. (Ooops, I repeated myself.) If I see it during my travels, I will definitely check it out if it's not to crowded, if for no other reason than to just be able to say I was on it. Maybe we will start seeing bumper stickers out there that say "I did the Dive", or "Do the Dive", or something to that effect that only knowledgeable Winnipesaukee boaters will recognize...!!
I believe the point was how incredibly stupid your comment was in context to hiking and other outdoor activities, I've been hiking hundreds of times and, Though I can't be sure, have never come across a group of illegals in my travels. You throwing that out there just shows that it's right on your mind, so the shoe probably fits in this case. Just to save you from more dumb comments, I've never voted for a national democrat, meaning president, senate or congress. I try not to vote for republicans either but sometimes I don't have much choice.
Old 05-13-2018, 09:30 AM   #61
noreast

Quote:
No worries, I'm all done with this forum. To many snowflakes... Go Trump!!
Just one more, Lately your side has all the snowflakes falling out of the sky. Move to Russia, good riddance.
Old 05-13-2018, 07:43 PM   #62
JADAQ

Quote:
Originally Posted by Descant View Post
There are pictures of the barge under construction on the Dive website. No indication of where and I can't tell from the pix. www.thedive-NH.com
Being built in the Chanel at West Alton marina
Old 05-13-2018, 08:33 PM   #63
Patiently Watching

I'm shocked this will be able to get necessary permits from the state and possibly towns. The Winni Bell does charters only, including the booze cruises and does not sell to the public other than those guests.
Looks like they have a long way to go...
Old 05-14-2018, 05:47 AM   #64
Biggd

Thanked 1,065 Times in 672 Posts

How did illegal immigration and politics come into this thread? Some people will just go through any means to push their agenda.

Last edited by Biggd; 05-14-2018 at 08:00 AM.
The Following User Says Thank You to Biggd For This Useful Post:
thinkxingu (05-14-2018)
Old 05-14-2018, 06:07 AM   #65
Phantom

Quote:
Originally Posted by JADAQ View Post
Being built in the Chanel at West Alton marina
Now it makes sense !!

JADAQ is correct !

When we went into WAM a week ago, we saw this building "construction" behind where Winnipesaukee Marine parks their barges/ rocks/poles/supplies and thought it was a new WAM building going up ............... at the time never gave it a second thought as the owners of WAM are always improving the grounds.
Old 05-14-2018, 06:26 AM   #66
Dave R

Quote:
Originally Posted by Biggd View Post
How did illegal immigration a politics come into this thread? Some people will just go through any means to push their agenda.
The segue was obvious to me: Floating restaurant begets hiking complaint, hiking complaint begets illegal immigration rant. Obvious, no?

Anyway, my thoughts:

I doubt someone would go to the trouble of building this if they were unable to get permits to use it as intended.

It's not my scene, but I think it's pretty neat and I hope it's successful. It's a clever way to open a boat-to restaurant without needing to buy expensive real estate. For those that are concerned about the environmental impact should consider how this thing will NOT require more than a dock's width of waterfront property and won't require a paved parking lot right next to the lake.

Draft will be extremely shallow. There's just not that much mass:surface area there and it likely has an utterly flat hull.

It will blend nicely with the uglier homes on the lake, not so much the boats, but it will look better than some of them.

I don't think the post anchors will exclude it from overnight mooring laws and I'd be willing to bet it will return to a dock or mooring every night. Considering where it's being built and the slow cruising speed, I suspect it will typically be a short trip...
Old 05-14-2018, 07:44 AM   #67
dave603

I wonder how they are going to move it around anywhere?
Tow it or stick a couple of LARGE outboards on it?
Old 05-14-2018, 07:46 AM   #68
joey2665

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave R View Post
The segue was obvious to me: Floating restaurant begets hiking complaint, hiking complaint begets illegal immigration rant. Obvious, no?

Anyway, my thoughts:

I doubt someone would go to the trouble of building this if they were unable to get permits to use it as intended.

It's not my scene, but I think it's pretty neat and I hope it's successful. It's a clever way to open a boat-to restaurant without needing to buy expensive real estate. For those that are concerned about the environmental impact should consider how this thing will NOT require more than a dock's width of waterfront property and won't require a paved parking lot right next to the lake.

Draft will be extremely shallow. There's just not that much mass:surface area there and it likely has an utterly flat hull.

It will blend nicely with the uglier homes on the lake, not so much the boats, but it will look better than some of them.

I don't think the post anchors will exclude it from overnight mooring laws and I'd be willing to bet it will return to a dock or mooring every night. Considering where it's being built and the slow cruising speed, I suspect it will typically be a short trip...
It's a long way from Alton (if that is were they are mooring in the evenings) to Braun Bay (where is suppose it will do a majority of its business). Do you think this hull design can handle that trip especially of busy weekends when there is a lot of boat traffic and wakes to handle?
Old 05-14-2018, 08:13 AM   #69
Phantom

Who's saying that WAM will be it's home base ?

All we know at this point is that it is "Under Construction" in that Marina. Makes perfect sense for logistics & launch.
Old 05-14-2018, 08:22 AM   #70
joey2665

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phantom View Post
Who's saying that WAM will be it's home base ?

All we know at this point is that it is "Under Construction" in that Marina. Makes perfect sense for logistics & launch.
That is exactly why I said "If". But my question still stands. Can the hull and size handle a busy weekend on the lake to get from point A to Point B?
Old 05-14-2018, 08:35 AM   #71
Hillcountry

Quote:
That is exactly why I said "If". But my question still stands. Can the hull and size handle a busy weekend on the lake to get from point A to Point B?
Not to mention high winds and pop up storms!
Old 05-14-2018, 09:36 AM   #72
rsmlp

Default Dive

A) I wish them success.

B) I've been wrong plenty of times.

C) For reasons already enumerated, I put the odds of them being back in'19 at 1/3.
Old 05-14-2018, 09:46 AM   #73
JADAQ

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phantom View Post
Now it makes sense !!

JADAQ is correct !

When we went into WAM a week ago, we saw this building "construction" behind where Winnipesaukee Marine parks their barges/ rocks/poles/supplies and thought it was a new WAM building going up ............... at the time never gave it a second thought as the owners of WAM are always improving the grounds.
They also took delivery of twin evinrude 250’s last week for it.
Old 05-14-2018, 10:32 AM   #74
BoatHouse

Quote:
Originally Posted by JADAQ View Post
They also took delivery of twin evinrude 250’s last week for it.
I think they are going to need larger engines or a Tugboat...
Old 05-14-2018, 10:45 AM   #75
codeman671

They are certainly spending enough, they are easily in to this for $150-200k, maybe more I am guessing, with the 2 engines, barge cost, build and fitup.
Old 05-14-2018, 10:49 AM   #76
Biggd

I've been to a lot of dive bars in my life time. This is one that I think I will avoid.
Old 05-14-2018, 11:29 AM   #77
ursa minor

Quote:
Originally Posted by BoatHouse View Post
I think they are going to need larger engines or a Tugboat...
That's plenty of power, it's not going to be fast regardless of how much they hang on the back. There's a contractor in our area that has a large barge with similar power, it will do about 10-12 mph with the engines pushing hard.

The amount of windage or "sail" area would be my concern with a flat bottomed vessel that this appears to be. Even with two engines it will be a handful in a cross wind.

I wish them luck and hope they've done their "due diligence", I'm guessing this will be bringing up some discussions of lake usage vs. property owner's rights before too long.
Old 05-14-2018, 12:06 PM   #78
Dave R

Quote:
It's a long way from Alton (if that is were they are mooring in the evenings) to Braun Bay (where is suppose it will do a majority of its business). Do you think this hull design can handle that trip especially of busy weekends when there is a lot of boat traffic and wakes to handle?
Oh yeah, it will have no trouble with rough water, it has a very low CG and can't go fast enough to pound in the waves. It's not a 17 foot bow rider.
The Following User Says Thank You to Dave R For This Useful Post:
joey2665 (05-14-2018)
Old 05-14-2018, 12:18 PM   #79
TiltonBB

Thanked 2,135 Times in 889 Posts
Default What if it fails?

If I was building it my biggest concern would be what happens to the boat if it is not a financial success. The height and beam would seem to make it difficult or impossible to move it off of the lake and where would you go with it. Even a move to the coast would be a major undertaking.

There are a limited number of places that it can dock on the lake too so finding a suitable slip for the season would seem difficult. You would have to assume they have that covered.

Winter storage? Looks a little big for a travel lift? Someone has to have figured all of these things out but it should be interesting..
Old 05-14-2018, 12:44 PM   #80
ITD

That went down hill quickly...….. back to the OP, I wonder how the liquor permit works?
Old 05-14-2018, 12:45 PM   #81
ishoot308

Exclamation

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave R View Post
Oh yeah, it will have no trouble with rough water, it has a very low CG and can't go fast enough to pound in the waves. It's not a 17 foot bow rider.
I’m not so sure about that Dave. Those big barges that you see crossing the lake with heavy equipment need absolute calm waters and no wind to make the journey. Even without a load, they still need no wind and calm water and they have the lowest center of gravity of anything out there.

I just don’t see it.

Dan
Old 05-14-2018, 12:49 PM   #82
jbolty

One thing for sure, there is a lot of buzz and free advertising going on.
Old 05-14-2018, 12:59 PM   #83
Biggd

Quote:
Originally Posted by TiltonBB View Post
If I was building it my biggest concern would be what happens to the boat if it is not a financial success. The height and beam would seem to make it difficult or impossible to move it off of the lake and where would you go with it. Even a move to the coast would be a major undertaking.

There are a limited number of places that it can dock on the lake too so finding a suitable slip for the season would seem difficult. You would have to assume they have that covered.

Winter storage? Looks a little big for a travel lift? Someone has to have figured all of these things out but it should be interesting..
If it starts to sink financially then it will probably end up on fire, oops grease fire!
I wonder what kind of insurance policy can be written on that thing?
Old 05-14-2018, 01:00 PM   #84
codeman671

Quote:
Originally Posted by TiltonBB View Post

If they are building it in West Alton, they are probably keeping it there, probably near where the construction barge sits. It doesn't have to come out of the water in the winter, in there it is very sheltered. They could leave it in and run a circulator or two around it.
Old 05-14-2018, 01:10 PM   #85
Dave R

Quote:
Originally Posted by ishoot308 View Post
I’m not so sure about that Dave. Those big barges that you see crossing the lake with heavy equipment need absolute calm waters and no wind to make the journey. Even without a load, they still need no wind and calm water and they have the lowest center of gravity of anything out there.

I just don’t see it.

Dan
I can see why an open barge with low freeboard would be an issue with a heavy load, and steep waves, but this contraption does not appear to be open. Looks like waves would just flow over the deck, like on a pontoon.
Old 05-14-2018, 01:33 PM   #86
noreast

Though I'm sure the engineers have done the math, Somewhere here I read 80 people up top? That's 16,000 lbs give or take, Imagine that thing in rough water loaded to capacity. I'd like to take a look at it out of curiosity.
Old 05-14-2018, 02:03 PM   #87
Woodsy

The answer is in the math.... but I would not be too worried about how seaworthy the Dive will be.... There are lots calcs to be made for sure, all of them involving the CG of the barge. No occupancy permits will be issued if the Coasties & MP don't sign off....

My guess is, the barge is/will be properly ballasted for a worse case scenario. IMHO that would be max capacity of people all rushing to one side. In other words a complete load shift/failure. Ballasted properly... nothing bad will happen.

Wind & waves are probably no issue either.... certainly, waves will have 0 effect on a properly ballasted barge on Winni. The wind will be an issue for the tugboat (for lack of a better term) that has to push/maneuver the barge around. But if they go early morning before the wind picks up and and come back after sunset when the wind dies down, I doubt they will have an issue.

Cheers to them for trying something new!

Woodsy
Old 05-14-2018, 02:15 PM   #88
Outdoorsman

I look forward to reading this thread in September.
Old 05-14-2018, 02:17 PM   #89
webmaster

Thanked 3,691 Times in 819 Posts

Like others, I have lots of concerns and questions about this. I'm not an expert but when a ship is built for the ocean it has to pass a series of sea trials to verify its seaworthiness and ability to right itself in severe conditions. Wouldn't this commercial vessel that carries passengers have to have similar testing and certification to carry passengers?

I also have many questions about how the licensing would work as they pass in and out of the towns around the lake, especially if they sold liquor.

Also, the wood construction seems odd. It looks like they are building a condo. Not a ship.

It certainly will be interesting.
Old 05-14-2018, 02:22 PM   #90
Outdoorsman

Quote:
Originally Posted by webmaster View Post
Like others, I have lots of concerns and questions about this. I'm not an expert but when a ship is built for the ocean it has to pass a series of sea trials to verify its seaworthiness and ability to right itself in severe conditions. Wouldn't this commercial vessel that carries passengers have to have similar testing and certification to carry passengers?

I also have many questions about how the licensing would work as they pass in and out of the towns around the lake, especially if they sold liquor.

Also, the wood construction seems odd. It looks like they are building a condo. Not a ship.

Wouldn't the licensing be at the same standards as the Mount? If so, it is not new territory for the state to be issuing any licenses for this vessel, be it food, liquor or "noise". Just wondering.
Old 05-14-2018, 02:34 PM   #91
ishoot308

Default West Alton

If you think about it, West Alton marina is the perfect place for “The Dive”! Considering they have no food or drink facilities at West Alton, this would fit the bill just perfect for all the people who Slip their boats to grab lunch, a cold beer and whatever else. If the weather is bad the Dive simply stays in at that sheltered Cove and sells food and drink to all the slipped boaters and those boats that want to stop by. Maybe they will even allow vehicles by road to go to West Alton for food and drink on the Dive. Maybe, just maybe, West Alton Marina owns the Dive and this is part of their expansion! This is all just conjecture on my part of course!

It will be interesting to say the least !

Dan

Last edited by ishoot308; 05-14-2018 at 04:48 PM.
Old 05-14-2018, 05:56 PM   #92
The Real BigGuy

I wouldn’t worry about wind and waves too much. One of the lake construction co’s has a 60 ft barge powered by twin 250’s. He manages to maneuver in most summer weather conditions with a 15 ton excavator, skid steer, and a load of sand or gravel. That being said, don’t think you’ll see me at “The Dive” in high wind/high wave conditions. I wish them well though.

Old 05-14-2018, 07:48 PM   #93
TiltonBB

Thanked 2,135 Times in 889 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by webmaster View Post

There are inspections of every commercial operation and vessel on the lake, every summer, prior to the start of the season. Just like the Mount Washington each "for hire" vessel must pass an inspection that covers a number of issues to insure that it is safe.

Even the jet ski rental rental operators must have all of their jet skis inspected and approved by the Marine Patrol prior to renting them out.

When you think of all of the rental boats and jet skis on the lake it takes a substantial amount of time for the Marine Patrol to visit and inspect each one. And that is before all of the summer help arrives.
Old 05-14-2018, 08:03 PM   #94
ursa minor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Woodsy View Post
The answer is in the math.... but I would not be too worried about how seaworthy the Dive will be.... There are lots calcs to be made for sure, all of them involving the CG of the barge. No occupancy permits will be issued if the Coasties & MP don't sign off....

Woodsy
Yes to all of this plus a lot of other things. I'm pretty sure they'll need to have a sanitary tank, fresh water, a house generator / fuel storage for power, fuel for the propulsion engines, etc. You would want to get as many of those things as possible down into the hull to help get GC down as far as possible. There's no way this will be allowed to carry paying customers until a lot of state and federal inspections occur. I'm sure the insurance people will have a lot of input as well.

There are some impressive dollar signs adding up on this, hopefully they can make a go of it on 8-10 busy summer weekends. I'm glad there are entrepreneurs out there though, I'd just way over think the whole thing and never try it. I sure hope they picked the right naval architect though...
Old 05-14-2018, 09:52 PM   #95
MAXUM

Thanked 1,942 Times in 802 Posts

2) We have a first-of-its-kind boat drive through window (aka the Dive Thru). Customers can order food ahead on our mobile app or through our website - and they will receive a text when they can come to the window to get their order. No need to anchor or find dock space!

Taking bets on how long it will be before somebody t-bones that thing pulling up to the "dive thru"?
Old 05-14-2018, 10:20 PM   #96
Hillcountry

Quote:
Originally Posted by MAXUM View Post

Taking bets on how long it will be before somebody t-bones that thing pulling up to the "dive thru"?
Lol 2 words come to mind...fuster cluck.
Old 05-15-2018, 07:22 AM   #97
ApS

Question West Alton "Home" to West Alton Sandbar..."Taking a Dive"?

As to "doing-business", isn't there a long sandbar off West Alton? If that's the case, family-boaters would leave Braun Bay to "those others".

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Real BigGuy View Post
I wouldn’t worry about wind and waves too much. One of the lake construction co’s has a 60 ft barge powered by twin 250’s. He manages to maneuver in most summer weather conditions with a 15 ton excavator, skid steer, and a load of sand or gravel. That being said, don’t think you’ll see me at “The Dive” in high wind/high wave conditions. I wish them well though.
One barge overturned here in 2004, and another barge tipped a Bobcat into the lake recently—neither barge had a second story.

https://www.winnipesaukee.com/forums...read.php?t=627
https://www.winnipesaukee.com/forums...read.php?t=647

Barges have an advantage of sheer "mass" and less windage aloft. They can navigate against a shoreline at a favored "haunt", drop their corner docking posts and ride-out most any weather. ("Favored haunt" meaning, shorelines where they'd been a familiar sight—or Johnson's Cove, where three barges have been seen sheltered at the same time, including overnights).

If a cell (or microburst) should come across the lake, The Dive can also run aground, even allowing water to flood into its hulls—to be pumped out later. That is, if the "cell" can be seen in time for such countermeasures. (In my own experience, about five minutes is all the time you've got).

"Flooding" barge hulls can also be inadvertent!
Attached Images

lakewind (05-18-2018)
Old 05-15-2018, 08:05 AM   #98
chipj29

Quote:
Originally Posted by ITD View Post
That went down hill quickly...….. back to the OP, I wonder how the liquor permit works?
They will most likely only be able to sell liquor to passengers, they won't be able to sell it "to go".
Old 05-15-2018, 11:32 AM   #99
The Real BigGuy

Quote:
Originally Posted by ApS View Post
As to "doing-business", isn't there a long sandbar off West Alton? If that's the case, family-boaters would leave Braun Bay to "those others".

One barge overturned here in 2004, and another barge tipped a Bobcat into the lake recently—neither barge had a second story.

https://www.winnipesaukee.com/forums...read.php?t=627

https://www.winnipesaukee.com/forums...read.php?t=647

Barges have an advantage of sheer "mass" and less windage aloft. They can navigate against a shoreline at a favored "haunt", drop their corner docking posts and ride-out most any weather. ("Favored haunt" meaning, shorelines where they'd been a familiar sight—or Johnson's Cove, where three barges have been seen sheltered at the same time, including overnights).

If a cell (or microburst) should come across the lake, The Dive can also run aground, even allowing water to flood into its hulls—to be pumped out later. That is, if the "cell" can be seen in time for such countermeasures. (In my own experience, about five minutes is all the time you've got).

"Flooding" barge hulls can also be inadvertent!
Yup, bad things can happen in bad weather and all boats can take on water unexpectedly. All the things you mentioned could happen, and the can happen to any boat on the lake, large or small. Maybe we should all wait for The Dive to go thru the build, permitting, and inspection process to see what comes out of it. It seems to me that we all spend far to much time trying to find the down side rather than imagining the good. Human nature I guess!

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to The Real BigGuy For This Useful Post:
Dave R (05-15-2018), Outdoorsman (05-15-2018)
Old 05-15-2018, 11:34 AM   #100
jbolty

Think positive.

If they have not already thought of it doing it a charter for fireworks viewing would be pretty great,

Last edited by jbolty; 06-14-2018 at 03:17 PM.
Closed Thread