Go Back   Winnipesaukee Forum > Winnipesaukee Forums > History
Home Forums Gallery Webcams Blogs YouTube Channel Classifieds Calendar Register FAQDonate Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-15-2012, 04:42 PM   #1
SunsetPointWentworth

Default Question for Mcdude.

I recently saw some old postcards you had posted of Sunset Point on Lake Wentworth in Wolfeboro, so I thought you might have some history of the property before 1938 when my Great Grandfather (Courtney Whitman) purchased it. The brief history of what our family knows is that it was called the Tea Kettle Camp, comprised of a main house and some small cabins. The main house was struck by lightning and burnt down sometime in the 1950's and the house that is there now was built soon after. In 1962 my Grandparents(Burt and Jacqueline Sommer) bought the back beach part of the property, where they built a summer house of their own. They are still there to this day. My Great Grandfather sold his side of the property in 1980 to a man named Ftorek, who also still lives there to this day and has made a great neighbor over the years. If there is anything you know about who originally built the Tea Kettle Camp or any additional information like that, our family would love to hear about it. Thanks.

Last edited by SunsetPointWentworth; 07-16-2012 at 07:40 PM.
SunsetPointWentworth is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to SunsetPointWentworth For This Useful Post:
hockeypuck (07-16-2012)
Old 07-16-2012, 07:03 AM   #2
mcdude

Thanked 1,041 Times in 489 Posts

ah....Lake Wentwrth....what a beautiful place. Sorry. No information available from me but I do have a few postcards of the TeaKettle Camp. I would try posting your question on the Lake Wentworth Forums. http://www.lwa.org/forums/

More Lake WENTWORTH postcards

mcdude is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to mcdude For This Useful Post:
Jonas Pilot (07-16-2012), SunsetPointWentworth (07-16-2012)
Old 07-16-2012, 07:19 AM   #3
mcdude

Default More

more lake wENTWORTH POSTCARDS http://archive.lwa.org/index.php?set...view_album.php

Old 07-16-2012, 07:20 AM   #4
hockeypuck

Default Man named Ftorek!

Quote:
Originally Posted by SunsetPointWentworth View Post
I recently saw some old postcards you had posted of Sunset Point on Lake Wentworth in Wolfeboro, so I thought you might have some history of the property before 1938 when my Great Grandfather (Courtney Whitman) purchased it. The brief history of what our family knows is that it was called the Tea Kettle Camp, comprised of a main house and some small cabins. The main house was struck by lightning and burnt down sometime in the 1940's and the house that is there now was rebuilt soon after. In 1962 my Grandparents(Burt and Jacqueline Sommer) bought the back beach part of the property, where they built a summer house of their own. They are still there to this day. My Great Grandfather sold his side of the property in 1980 to a man named Ftorek, who also still lives there to this day and has made a great neighbor over the years. If there is anything you know about who originally built the Tea Kettle Camp or any additional information like that, our family would love to hear about it. Thanks.
Would that be Robbie Ftorek from Needham Ma and NHL head coach?
hockeypuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2012, 06:10 PM   #5
SunsetPointWentworth

Thank you Mcdude. I love the postcards. Great stuff. I'll keep poking around to see what happened at the point prior to 1938. Hockeypuck. Yes, that's the same Ftorek. It use to be fun to tune into the Bruins games and watch him coach. Last time I knew his son was coming up through the ranks.

Last edited by SunsetPointWentworth; 07-16-2012 at 07:41 PM.
hockeypuck (07-17-2012)
Sponsored Links
Old 07-17-2012, 09:36 AM   #6
mcdude

SunsetPointWentworth: We love to see before and after shots involving postcards. If you get a chance why not post a pic of what the TeaKettle cottage looks like today? McD

Old 12-26-2012, 09:20 PM   #7
SunsetPointWentworth

Name:  untitled.bmp resized.jpg
Views: 923
Size:  49.3 KB Sunset Point summer 2012
Old 12-26-2012, 09:29 PM   #8
SunsetPointWentworth

Name:  sunset point 1.bmp resizse 2.jpg
Views: 1009
Size:  49.1 KB The main building was rebuilt after the fire. The rest of the out buildings and guest house are still in use, to this day.

Last edited by SunsetPointWentworth; 12-26-2012 at 09:35 PM. Reason: spelling
mcdude (12-27-2012)
Old 03-12-2013, 12:44 AM   #9
SunsetPointWentworth

Default To all those Heros

Who won World War II. Thank you for saving the world. If you fought on the front lines. Thank You. If you helped save lives in the hospitals. Thank You. If you worked in the factories back home. Thank You. If you sailed in convoys, trying to dodge U-boats. Thank you. The Greatest Generation. Thank You. You're missed Grandfather. Wolfeboro will shine a little less bright.

Bertrand H. Sommer, 87, of Hollis and Wolfeboro, NH, died peacefully Sunday afternoon, December 23, 2012 at St. Joseph Hospital in Nashua, after a brief illness surrounded by his loving family.

A resident of Hollis for the past 45 years, Mr. Sommer was born in Newark, New Jersey on March 31, 1925, a son of the late Arthur Perry and Margaret (Kohler) Sommer. “Bert” was educated in East Orange, NJ, public schools and graduated from Clifford Scott High School Class of 1942 where he was drum major in the school’s band. He then attended the U.S. Merchant Marine Academy in Kings Point, NY and served with the Merchant Marines as a 3rd Officer from 1943-1945 during World War II.

In 1946, Mr. Sommer began a long career in the automobile business at Whitman Chevrolet in Newark, NJ where he was Vice President and General Manager. He then worked as General Manager at MacMulkin Chevrolet in Nashua from 1967-1969; and as General Manager of the former Clyde Garfield Oldsmobile-Cadillac from 1970-1971 before joining the staff at Tulley Buick-Pontiac-GMC Truck & BMW as Vice President and General Manager and partner from 1971 to 1983.

Very active in community service, Bert served on the New Hampshire Vocational Technical College Committee to Establish Automotive Course; was a Past President of the Nashua New Car and Truck Dealers Association; was a Past President of the New Hampshire Auto Dealers Association and a Past President of the New Hampshire Automotive Education Foundation.

He was a member and Past President of the Nashua Rotary Club and was a Paul Harris Fellow; was a director of the Nashua Chamber of Commerce; was a member of the New Hampshire Vocational Technical College Advisory Board; was a member of the Nashua High School Regional Vocational Center Craft Committee and was a volunteer of the Summer Olympics in Atlanta, GA.

Mr. Sommer also served on the Town of Hollis Capitol Budget Committee; was a member of the Hollis Town Band; the Hollis Dixieland Band and the Amherst Town Band. He held memberships at the Nashua Country Club and the Kingswood Golf Club and received an honorary degree from the New Hampshire Vocational Technical College.

Mr. Sommer enjoyed many hobbies and activities which included playing his drums from the time he was in grammar school, stamp-collecting, reading his daily newspapers, reading at least one book a week, sailing on Lake Wentworth, barbecuing on the 4th of July and Labor Day with the family at the lake.

He loved playing golf and keeping in touch with his Merchant Marine Unit.

He traveled to Wales with the Amherst Town Band and to Bermuda, Spain, Mexico, Hawaii, and France with his wife.

He loved his sports teams, especially the Yankees and Giants. Mr. Sommer made friends wherever he went throughout his life.

His favorite times were spent with family especially with his many grandchildren and he welcomed each great-grandchild with open arms.

He will be remembered as a loving husband, father, grandfather, great- grandfather, and friend and will be missed by everyone who knew him.
Attached Images

gillygirl (03-12-2013)