Go Back   Winnipesaukee Forum > Winnipesaukee Forums > Boating
Home Forums Gallery Webcams Blogs YouTube Channel Classifieds Calendar Register FAQDonate Members List Today's Posts

Old 07-14-2012, 12:01 PM   #1
jbg

Default Frontage needed for dock

Not sure if this should be in the "boating" or "land" category but I'll start here:

I understand that one needs 75' of frontage to have a 40 x 6 dock. Less land would require a 24' dock. However, does anyone know if there is a minimum amount of frontage needed to have the 24' dock? I haven't been able to find anything on the state websites. Thanks.
jbg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2012, 12:14 PM   #2
codeman671

I think 75' is the min frontage now for a dock in general. On lakes other than Winnipesaukee the standard dock length is 24'. The 40' seasonal dock length is Winnipesaukee only, without depth issues that need additional variance from the normal standard.
codeman671 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2012, 01:22 PM   #3
sluggo

The standard rule is on a body of water over a thousand acres you can go 40 feet out and 6 ft wide with a min. of 75 ft of frontage. Less than a thousand acres with 75 ft of frontage you can have a 6 x 30 ft dock. If you have less than 75 ft of frontage you would need to file a dredge and fill permit application to get a max. 24 ft. Dont forget that there is a 20 ft abbutter reference. If you were to put a dock within 20 ft of your property line you would need to have certified paper work from your nieghbor to present to the state. In saying that if you have 50 ft of frontage you need to subtract 40 ft. that leaves you with 10 ft where you dont need permission from your nieghbor to do anything. Hope this was helpfull.......
sluggo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2012, 08:08 PM   #4
Rockridge Farm

Keep in mind that the dock and boat slips need to be within the property line extensions out over the water. The DES will not approve a proposal for a boat slip that encroaches over a property line extension. Be extra careful if the PL's are not perpendicular with the shoreline. You would need to obtain notarized consent from any abutter for whom the dock or boat slip encroached within the 20' setback.

A legal boat slip is defined at a volume of water 25' long x 8' wide x 36" deep at normal full lake elevation (lakes over 10K acres) or 20' long for smaller lakes. So depending on water depths, the site may qualify for a longer than 24' dock.

Hypothetically, in perfect conditions, a waterfront with 17' of frontage could possibly be approved for a 1' wide dock providing 2 boat slips with notarized consent from both abutters. Obviously a 1' wide dock is kind of impractical but you get my drift.

I think the narowest lot I have obtained a dock approval for was around 25'.

jbg, feel free to shoot me a PM if you have any other questions.
Rockridge Farm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2012, 11:57 AM   #5
Lakegeezer

In a related question, I have a dock that with one edge exactly 20 feet from one of the property lines. I'd like to add a jetski ramp to it, so that the jet-ski won't get trashed by wake. The ramp would encroach into the 20 foot zone.

Questions include: do I need to add to the existing permit that the dock already has? Must the neighbor approve the extension into the 20' boundary?

What I'm hoping is that I can just do it. If it was part of the dock, the dock would then be wider than 4' and not be legal - and I've seen plenty of them.
Old 07-18-2012, 04:56 PM   #6
Onshore

Yes the lift needs a permit and yes, if it will be inside to 20 ft setback to property lines you need the abutter's permission.
Onshore is offline   Reply With Quote