Go Back   Winnipesaukee Forum > Winnipesaukee Forums > General Discussion
Home Forums Gallery Webcams Blogs YouTube Channel Classifieds Calendar Register FAQDonate Members List Today's Posts

Old 07-19-2011, 04:53 PM   #1
Grady223

Default Island Fire Safety

We on Barndoor are trying to upgrade our fire safety on the Island. We have considered buying hp pumps, rakes and hoses. We see the main threat as brush fires as that is what we have experienced in the past. Key is to keep things under control until Alton or Wolfeboro FDs show up with their boats.

High pressure pumps as indicated above are an option, but logistics, operation and maintenance are issues.

What have some of the other Islands done or considered in this regard? Of course the first action would be to call 911 Then we think we should do something other than run like h___. What else can we or should we do?
Grady223 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2011, 05:31 PM   #2
MarkinNH

If a brush fire is your main concern, I would think a 1st line of defense would be a clean wide fire break from the woods line to any buildings. If there is nothing to burn adjacent to any building you already have half the battle beat. You may already have this covered.
MarkinNH is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to MarkinNH For This Useful Post:
ArborTech (07-19-2011), Grady223 (07-24-2011)
Old 07-19-2011, 05:38 PM   #3
Bear Islander

On Bear Island we are placing 5 gallon backpack style Fire Pumps and Fire Rakes at strategic locations. Usually that means behind cabins with signs pointing to them from the trails. We are also adding them to our trail map.

If you go to our website at www.bearisland.org you will find links for purchasing the Fire Pumps and Rakes. Placing the pumps around has the added benefit of keeping fire safety in peoples minds.

You can ask the local Fire Department to send someone to the island to talk about fire safety to islanders. We have done that a couple of times in recent years. One thing they stress is clearing brush and dead leaves away from cabins.
Bear Islander is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Bear Islander For This Useful Post:
Grady223 (07-24-2011)
Old 07-19-2011, 07:30 PM   #4
Sandy Island fan

Default Sandy Island Fire Brigade

At Sandy Island camp, we have a Fire Brigade made up of members from our staff. We figure that we have 20 minutes or so until the Tuftonboro Fire Department can get to us. We drill at one o'clock on Sundays during the summer. If you are interested in more information on the equipment we have, PM me and I can give you the contact info for our Brigade Chief or Captain. Although I am a member of the Brigade, and have learned to haul hose and wield a fire broom and rake, I am not one of the ones who work the lake pumps.
Sandy Island fan is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Sandy Island fan For This Useful Post:
Grady223 (07-24-2011)
Old 07-19-2011, 08:44 PM   #5
ArborTech

Default Take away the fuel

As a cert. firefighter for many years and an expierenced woodsman, I can tell you that the most inexpensive, safe and effective way to fight a wildfire is to remove the fuel. Like MarkinNH said, removing brush and overhanging trees around your homes and outbuildings, cleaing out leaves under your decks/roofs/camps, and even cutting fire breaks in the surrounding woods will be most effective.

I wouldn't reccomend anyone try to get involved with active fire without serious training and a strong understanding of fire behavior.

I have done countless tree jobs at homes that are choked up with the surrounding brush and trees. This is just setting the stage for a disaster especially with our current weather pattern.
ArborTech is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to ArborTech For This Useful Post:
Grady223 (07-24-2011)
Sponsored Links