Go Back   Winnipesaukee Forum > Winnipesaukee Forums > General Discussion
Home Forums Gallery Webcams Blogs YouTube Channel Classifieds Calendar Register FAQDonate Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-06-2010, 10:11 PM   #1
Dave R

Default Lake sure was choppy tonight

Had a fun ride from Weirs Beach to Alton Bay tonight.
Dave R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2010, 10:28 PM   #2
VtSteve

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave R View Post
Had a fun ride from Weirs Beach to Alton Bay tonight.
We had 27-30 knot winds here and it was awful. Kayakers being rescued from 40 knot gusts. I have to travel cross lake tomorrow for a vacation. I might even put the top up, but NOAA keeps changing their wind forecast.
VtSteve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2010, 11:40 PM   #3
trfour

Post Do Not Tell My Parents, ...

I used to love climbing up into trees during hurricanes here in the north and east. The ride was Awesome!... Now, not that my Parents didn't teach me more better, 'sept, I had a special challenge within, and so did they, they just chose to keep it from me!... ( UNDERSTAND )!

I got caught out in the broads here on Lake Winnipesaukee, more than once... Oh, a weather geek I am as well, did I mention that.

One must collect and keep all that has been taught to, to surf'vive! PORTNES is very Important to all us oxygen breathing species out here!

' Liston To Us Lake Geezer's, for shore '!

trfour

Terry
__________________________________________________ ___________

Always Remember, The Best Safety Device In The Boat, or on a PWC Snowmobile etc., Is YOU!

Safe sledding tips and much more; http://www.snowmobile.org/snowmobiling-safety.html
trfour is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2010, 06:10 AM   #4
challmec

We were out there yesterday as well. It was a bit choppy and made it a challenging day. Whatever happened off Governors Island? We came by after the fact and observed a wave runner towing some sort of water craft that had apparently overturned.
As rough as it was we still had an enjoyable day on the Lake!!
challmec is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2010, 07:56 AM   #5
woodynh

Default It Was Fun

We went and anchored in Paugus for most of the day. It was great because there weren't many people. It was entertaining watching people trying to pull in and anchor.

Also a sea plane over there had landed and taken off 3 times while we were there. He took off one time directly into the wind. That was interesting. I can't believe he actually got it airborne. I told my wife he is going to have to shut down before he runs out of lake but he got out of the water. He appear to be a very good experienced pilot.

The ride home was awesome. My boat loves that chop (24 degree deadrise hull). Typically we rarely go over 30 but yesterday I was lovin it and had to run the speed limit when possible.

The biggest issue was seeing other boats and markers. I sure can see how it would be easy to have problems in that weather for a novice boater. We saw a 15 foot aluminum boat heading out of Weirs toward the broads and just looked at each other thinking why would you be that stupid. Also saw a 13 foot Whaler out there but was in a bay were the waves weren't bad.
woodynh is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 08-07-2010, 09:19 AM   #6
KonaChick

It was as choppy as I've ever seen it. We usually can't get my teens off of their Boston Whaler but yesterday they went out for a cruise, got swamped a few times and turned around and came right back in! I have to say swimming was fun though...the water was warm and good waves.
KonaChick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2010, 10:18 AM   #7
Rattlesnake Guy

We actually had 2 pieces of 12' lumber blow off the dock yesterday. The remainder is now tied down. All pieces accounted for. RG claims she saw a huge rouge wave around 6:00. Fortunately it did not come into our shore. This was a huge wave among the big waves steadily going buy. She claimed it was a six footer but admits she is dimensionally challenged to make such estimates.
Rattlesnake Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2010, 10:32 AM   #8
ITD

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rattlesnake Guy View Post
We actually had 2 pieces of 12' lumber blow off the dock yesterday. The remainder is now tied down. All pieces accounted for. RG claims she saw a huge rouge wave around 6:00. Fortunately it did not come into our shore. This was a huge wave among the big waves steadily going buy. She claimed it was a six footer but admits she is dimensionally challenged to make such estimates.
I believe her, I was out there around 4:30 to 5:00 trying to go from Wolfeboro to CH. My 27 foot Cobalt was getting bounced around pretty good, crossed over behind RS which was better until we came to the broads again then decided to bag it for the night. Worst I've ever been out on.
ITD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2010, 03:27 PM   #9
Dave R

Quote:
A six footer would not have surprised me. The waves were outrageously steep too. I took the route on the southwest side of Rattlesnake because of the waves I was dealing with between Diamond and Rattlesnake. We had following seas and were not going very fast, so there was no pounding, but I was ventilating my props on the crests and stuffing the bow in the valleys now and then. Sure was glad I was not in a bowrider.
Dave R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2010, 07:14 PM   #10
TiltonBB

Thanked 2,135 Times in 889 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by woodynh View Post
Also a sea plane over there had landed and taken off 3 times while we were there. He took off one time directly into the wind. That was interesting. I can't believe he actually got it airborne. I told my wife he is going to have to shut down before he runs out of lake but he got out of the water. He appear to be a very good experienced pilot.
That is how airplanes take off-into the wind. The lift is provided by the wind travelling over the wings. If he took off with the wind he would have to exceed the rotate (take off) speed by the speed of the wind he was going with. I hope that makes sense.
TiltonBB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2010, 07:42 PM   #11
macshpman

Was out there friday, had lunch at wolfboro and had to head back to Wiers. 205 Fourwinns Sundowner and had water coming over the bow out there in the broads. Felt like we were on a " Three hour cruise" Just like being out on the Big Pond at the lake yesterday. Thank goodness the girls were not with us as both have backproblems and they would have taken a pounding.
Old 08-07-2010, 08:58 PM   #12
NHskier

We ventured out for a bit in our 23' bowrider yesterday around 6:30PM. Went back and forth on whether to go out or just hang out at the slip. But it seemed as if the wind was dying down so went out.

As we were exiting the Weirs channel I knew right away it was going to be a short cruise. I scratched off even going over inside Bear and instead started towards Meredith. 10 minutes of that was plenty, so swung around, back through the channel and into Paugus. That seemed to be much calmer, until we swung around and started back up the bay from the Irwin/Lakeport end. By the time we got to Christmas Island area it was really blowing again, and getting cooler too. I was happy to tie back up at Thurston's and call it a quick night!
Old 08-07-2010, 10:54 PM   #13
LTII

Default Wasn't bad at all tonight...

Just cruised back from Meredith town to Gilford...Zipped the windshirt a little higher against the cool breeze, but really not much chop at all. Just the random wake from an unknown vessel in the distance. Very dark night out there, though, requiring extra focus.

Squeezed through the Governor's - Eagle NWZ with two others but generally not much traffic.

Picked up on the big stack of white & red lights steaming toward me about a mile to the East, a point off the port bow, and as always happens when encountering the MV Mount Washington on Lake Winnipesaukee at night, got a nice little adrenalin charge.

Just because I could, I paused off Governor's and killed the engines long enough for the Mount to pass, a moving, for me almost spiritual, site on the night lake. Music from the Mount was more subdued than on those sultry summer eves- must have had the windows buttoned up on this cool dark night...

Leisurely, almost reluctantly made my way back to the security of my slip, and took a few extra minutes to make fast my lines, dousing the last lamp at about 10:30.

If that was my final cruise- it was a worthy one.
LTII is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2010, 08:15 AM   #14
BroadHopper

Thanked 1,088 Times in 782 Posts
Default A bit choppy

I use to love 'dancing the waves'. with the the right trim angle, both I/O and tabs annd the right speed I can almost hop from wave to wave rather than bounce. Unfortunately I can no longer enjoy the thrill.

one of the first nights this year that I didn't head out for a sunset cruise. I was hoping to catch the 'Northern Lights'.
Old 08-09-2010, 04:06 PM   #15
coley

Default It was choppy

I agree-late afternoon trip from alton bay to wolfeboro that day was quite a ride-I agree with previous posters-I am amazed at how many people do not use common sense and respect the water and mother nature-passed about a seventeen footer loaded with children in the chop........even later the same evening saw a neighbor head out around 730 and turn right out of Jockey Cove and said to my daughter he will be back in a couple of minutes-just watch-sure enough!!!!
coley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2010, 03:35 AM   #16
ApS

Default Stuffing Rogue Thoreau...

Monday and Tuesday afternoons found The Broads to be too calm for sailing, but sailing was challenging everywhere else on the lake!

Just speaking of the "many faces" of Lake Winnipesaukee.

Quote:
"...RG claims she saw a huge rouge wave around 6:00. Fortunately it did not come into our shore. This was a huge wave among the big waves steadily going buy. She claimed it was a six footer but admits she is dimensionally challenged to make such estimates..."
Rogue waves are found on lakes with seawalls. Directly north of Rattlesnake Island are several Tuftonboro homes with near-continuous rows of seawalls.

Missouri's "Lake LOTO" has significant rogue waves, which are blamed on the many seawalls there. A few years ago, a LOTO rogue wave overtook an anchored cruiser: it sank the cruiser, and drowned a passenger below decks. That wave was said to be twice as big than the one RG saw.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave R View Post
"...but I was ventilating my props on the crests and stuffing the bow in the valleys now and then..."
Is this a good time to quote Thoreau?

Quote:
You must live in the present, launch yourself on every wave, find your eternity in each moment."
—Henry David Thoreau
ApS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2010, 06:48 AM   #17
VtSteve

Quote:
Originally Posted by Acres per Second View Post
Rogue waves are found on lakes with seawalls. Directly north of Rattlesnake Island are several Tuftonboro homes with near-continuous rows of seawalls.

Missouri's "Lake LOTO" has significant rogue waves, which are blamed on the many seawalls there. A few years ago, a LOTO rogue wave overtook an anchored cruiser: it sank the cruiser, and drowned a passenger below decks. That wave was said to be twice as big than the one RG saw.
Large cruiser wakes can make for waves on the rebound on sea walls. Not Rogue waves per se, but they can bounce back. If you look at inlets in the ocean, you can witness this phenomenon. Waves from boats and incoming surf will wash to one side of the inlet, and bounce back, changing direction, and making for a huge wash-like effect against the incoming waves.

Waves like that usually are short-lived, and don't have the same continuous cycle as normal waves. What RG probably saw was a larger than normal wave, possibly induced by a quick, strong gust. At places like LOTO, most of the huge waves are caused by huge cruisers. Se walls can indeed cause a wash-like affect that makes for rough waters, but I doubt a rogue wave in the true meaning of Rogue.
Old 08-19-2010, 07:50 AM   #18
ApS

Wink "Roguish" of me, but...

Quote:
Originally Posted by VtSteve View Post
"...Large cruiser wakes can make for waves on the rebound on sea walls. Not Rogue waves per se, but they can bounce back...Waves like that usually are short-lived, and don't have the same continuous cycle as normal waves...I doubt a rogue wave in the true meaning of Rogue..."
We did cover that at an earlier time: click on the link that has "moontides" in it.

Quote:
"...RG claims she saw a huge rouge wave around 6:00..."
I've tweeked your avatar (as best as I could) to show a rouge wave.
Attached Images

ApS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2010, 12:08 PM   #19
VtSteve

Quote:
Originally Posted by Acres per Second View Post
We did cover that at an earlier time: click on the link that has "moontides" in it.

I've tweeked your avatar (as best as I could) to show a rouge wave.
Very nice APS, very nice. The next Blue Moon, I'll be looking for that rouge wave coming off a sea wall