Go Back   Winnipesaukee Forum > Winnipesaukee Forums > General Discussion
Home Forums Gallery Webcams Blogs YouTube Channel Classifieds Calendar Register FAQDonate Members List Today's Posts

Old 06-03-2010, 10:06 AM   #1
fatlazyless

Default Laconia's 20-station fitness trail

Today's June 3 www.laconiadailysun.com has an article on one person's effort to revive the 20-station fitness trail that runs through the former Laconia state prison property, somewhere between Paugus Bay and Lake Winnisquam in Laconia. According to the article it was originally laid out and installed in 1995 as part of a boot camp, young offender's remedial program and apparently some of the 20 exercise stations still exist.

The Town of Waterville Valley had a very similar 20-station exercise trail running for about one mile, installed in 1990, and removed in 2008, that was in very good condition when it was removed. So, maybe the WV fitness stations are stored away somewhere and could be put to use in reviving the Laconia trail. In Waterville Valley, the trail was removed because it crossed a three acre parcel of undeveloped land on Corcoran's Pond that the Waterville Co wanted to sell for developement as a waterfront hotel, and having the fitness trail apparantly could make the parcel more difficult to sell. It remains unsold.

A Laconia fitness trail could be be a good thing all year around, not just in the summer months, and probably work well with what's planned to be the WOW bicycle trail. I heard some wise guy say that it's cheaper for the city to maintain a fitness trail than have their property tax pay for the Belknap nursing home. As the saying goes....use it...or lose it....
jkjoshuatree (06-04-2010), lawn psycho (06-03-2010)
Old 06-04-2010, 06:33 AM   #2
jkjoshuatree

Talking Hey FatLazy...

I feel weird writing your name in the title...almost feel like I'm insulting you...lol.

Anyway, I write for an online newspaper called Examiner.com and my focus is "extreme training". This 20 station trail you wrote about seems like it's right up my alley (or trail, if you will).

If I send you my email (below), could you either keep my posted as to it's outcome or send me any links the trail may have?

Thank you.

jkjoshuatree1@hotmail.com
Old 06-04-2010, 09:04 AM   #3
fatnoah

In the 80's, the city also created a fitness trail of sorts along the Winnepesaukee River through downtown. I rememer seeing it when I walked home from Holy Trinity. It basically consisted of randomly located pull-up bars and such, and I don't think I ever saw anyone using it.
fatnoah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2010, 03:37 PM   #4
scubajay1153

jkjoshua,
I know the lady heading up the effort (Linda) and she has a Facebook page started for the effort. You should be able to contact her via that site:

http://www.facebook.com/?ref=logo#!/...6269779&ref=mf
scubajay1153 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2010, 07:26 AM   #5
jkjoshuatree

Talking Scuba...

Thanks so much. I joined the group on facebook and I'm sending Linda a message. I'm also going to be volunteering when I'm up there for a month this summer.

Great work!!