Go Back   Winnipesaukee Forum > Winnipesaukee Forums > General Discussion
Home Forums Gallery Webcams Blogs YouTube Channel Classifieds Calendar Register FAQDonate Members List Today's Posts

Old 07-10-2008, 12:05 PM   #1
Colt

Default 4th of July Snowmobiles ??

Did anyone else see the snowmobiles on the lake over the weekend. They both took off from the Meredith Moorings beach. One of them went straight down the bay towards the Weirs and was still going until i couldn't see him any more. The second an hour or so later hugged the shoreline and disapeared arond the corner heading towards Meredith neck. They both sank according to news reports I've seen.

I know I'm supposed to be appalled at the reckles nature and safety risks but my first thought was "that's pretty cool". I have to admit though the speed they took off from the beach was incredible and if a swimmer/boater was in the way there would have been severe injuries.
Colt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2008, 12:09 PM   #2
twoplustwo

Default you can join in the discussion over...

... here: http://www.winnipesaukee.com/forums/...ead.php?t=6352

I'm still shaking my head over that one.
twoplustwo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2008, 12:16 PM   #3
Colt

Default I thought so

I figured there was a thread on this. I guess I was searching the wrong terms.
Old 07-10-2008, 08:45 PM   #4
froggy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Colt View Post
I figured there was a thread on this. I guess I was searching the wrong terms.
Were you watching from Meredith Moorings area, the yacht club or island? I used to live very near there and follow what the interviewee on TV was describing: down the banking, over the grass, across the beach, etc.
froggy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2008, 08:17 AM   #5
Colt

Default I was right there

I was at Meredith Moorings playing on the grass area behind the condo's with my kids. TFor the second one. They pulled into the parking lot in a souped up pickup, yanked the thing off, the kid hoped on and took off down the bank across the beach and right onto the lake. he went pretty slow down the grass and over the beach. i was suprised it actually seemed like he was able t accelerate very quickly while on the water.
Sponsored Links
Old 07-11-2008, 08:22 AM   #6
Mr. V

Quote:
I know I'm supposed to be appalled at the reckles nature and safety risks but my first thought was "that's pretty cool".
Yeah, I know what you mean.

Here's another local on a frolic in Gilmanton: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a99JCfu2hh8
Mr. V is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2008, 08:52 PM   #7
froggy

Quote:
I was at Meredith Moorings playing on the grass area behind the condo's with my kids. TFor the second one. They pulled into the parking lot in a souped up pickup, yanked the thing off, the kid hoped on and took off down the bank across the beach and right onto the lake. he went pretty slow down the grass and over the beach. i was suprised it actually seemed like he was able t accelerate very quickly while on the water.
Pretty aggressive people, and scary event, as I know people who live in a condo unit, and it's condo association property.... I am qite familiar with property you describe.

If not done so, you ought to report what you witnessed to the police.

Thanks....
Old 07-14-2008, 04:08 PM   #8
pontiac464

Default There Is Nothing Wrong With What They Did

I Personally Know One Of The Operators Of The Snowmobiles That Went Across The Lake. He Is A Great Kid. Never In Trouble, A Hard Worker, Very Honest, And Very Respectful. He Likes To "skimm" Along With A Good Group Of Friends He Has. It Is A Shame That People Will Pass Judgement Without Knowing Who They Are Talking About. No One Was In Danger And No One Got Hurt. He Is Very Skilled At What He Does And Would Not Do It If He Though It Was A Bad Idea. You Might Think He Has Bad Judgement, But It Is The Complete Opposite. He Is One Of The Brightest Kids I Know. It Just Seems Sad To Me That People Could, And Should, Be Concerned With So Many Other Things, But Instead They Get All Flustered At A Few Kids Looking For A New Thrill. These People Starting These Threads Really Have Nothing Better To Do. Put Your Spare Time To Good Use And Help People That Really Need It. Do A Good Deed Or Talk About Something That Matters.
pontiac464 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2008, 05:11 PM   #9
GWC...

Quote:
Originally Posted by pontiac464 View Post
I Personally Know One Of The Operators Of The Snowmobiles That Went Across The Lake. He Is A Great Kid. Never In Trouble,...
He broke the law...

Stop idolizing the Clintons and respect the law.

He is not a kid; rather an adult and needs to learn to act accordingly.

The Judge should offer him jail or service in the military.
Old 07-14-2008, 06:07 PM   #10
brk-lnt

Quote:
I Personally Know One Of The Operators Of The Snowmobiles That Went Across The Lake. He Is A Great Kid. Never In Trouble, A Hard Worker, Very Honest, And Very Respectful. He Likes To "skimm" Along With A Good Group Of Friends He Has. It Is A Shame That People Will Pass Judgement Without Knowing Who They Are Talking About. No One Was In Danger And No One Got Hurt. He Is Very Skilled At What He Does And Would Not Do It If He Though It Was A Bad Idea. You Might Think He Has Bad Judgement, But It Is The Complete Opposite. He Is One Of The Brightest Kids I Know. It Just Seems Sad To Me That People Could, And Should, Be Concerned With So Many Other Things, But Instead They Get All Flustered At A Few Kids Looking For A New Thrill. These People Starting These Threads Really Have Nothing Better To Do. Put Your Spare Time To Good Use And Help People That Really Need It. Do A Good Deed Or Talk About Something That Matters.
Is there some kind of a hidden message here? Like if we re-arrange all the capitalized letters we can find the true meaning of your post?
brk-lnt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2008, 06:21 PM   #11
SAMIAM

Thanked 1,662 Times in 581 Posts

This whole thing has got me chuckling.......just a couple of goofy kids doing a stunt for youtube.......all the fuddy-duddies will be screaming..."WHAT ABOUT THE CHILDREN"..........OMG.....people could have been killed......yuh,right....we we're all young and stupid at some point.
SAMIAM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2008, 08:24 PM   #12
froggy

Quote:
Originally Posted by SAMIAM View Post
This whole thing has got me chuckling.......just a couple of goofy kids doing a stunt ...we we're all young and stupid at some point.
Sure were younger once; I remember on that beach when the condos were virtually empty and just handful of boats at the docks, the gatherings after dark with glass containers and adult beverages!
Old 07-15-2008, 06:43 AM   #13
hilltopper

Quote:
He Is Very Skilled At What He Does.....
Correct me if I'm wrong, but didn't the sled SINK?
hilltopper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2008, 11:56 AM   #14
chipj29

Quote:
Originally Posted by hilltopper View Post
Correct me if I'm wrong, but didn't the sled SINK?
lol sure did...but the best part is why the sled sank...
He ran out of gas!
chipj29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2008, 02:00 PM   #15
pontiac464

Default Gas

the kid only put a little in so he didnt ruin the gas in his tank if he sank. you cant reuse gas with water in it, he didnt want to have to throw it away since gas is so pricey
Old 07-22-2008, 10:21 AM   #16
GTO

Default or maybe.....

Quote:

Or maybe your bright friend could do some good deeds or maybe help some people instead of pulling off such an idiotic adventure. Its a good thing he is a hard worker so now at least he can pay to have the machine removed from the lakes. Sorry pal, there are enough cap't boneheads out there in the summer, we don't need a very skilled, very honest, very respectable (Man, who wrote all that BS) out on the lake skimming at 60 mph.
Old 07-22-2008, 11:11 AM   #17
GTO

Default huh?

Quote:
the kid only put a little in so he didnt ruin the gas in his tank if he sank. you cant reuse gas with water in it, he didnt want to have to throw it away since gas is so pricey

Your very bright friend was smart to be thinking about the $10 of gas that would not be any good if water got in it. Good thing he wasn't thinking about the $12,000 machine that sank in 50 feet of water.

Remember kids.....this is your brain on drugs...any questions?
Old 07-23-2008, 09:41 AM   #18
donnamatrix

Default Skimmer Doesn't Like Being Called "Stupid"

Article in The Citizen today:
http://www.citizen.com/apps/pbcs.dll...6/-1/CITNEWS05

I agree with GTO... the young man may be polite, hardworking, etc., etc., but at the same time he is a bonehead.
donnamatrix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2008, 10:24 AM   #19
GTO

Default aaaaawww

Quote:
Originally Posted by donnamatrix View Post

I agree with GTO... the young man may be polite, hardworking, etc., etc., but at the same time he is a bonehead.
Now I feel bad after reading that article. For me to be calling him all those names......what was I thinking. HELLO!! Theres a reason the registration ran out!! Maybe because you don't usually ride snow mobiles in the summer....hence the name "snow" mobile. Above he was worried about the price of gas so he didn't put much in the tank (reason for sinking),but yet he's ok paying the $360 fines. Just think , if you put in another gallon you probably would have made it to shore and we wouldn't even have this thread. I better stop here.
Old 07-23-2008, 10:32 AM   #20
brk-lnt

Quote:
This is a troll, and a lame attempt at that. Separating water from gas is not a difficult matter at all, it is merely gravity at work.
brk-lnt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2008, 10:49 AM   #21
dpg

Quote:

Geez, glad I didn't know you as a kid.

O.K. go ahead and say it, so are you!!
dpg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2008, 11:15 AM   #22
GTO

Default hhhhmmm

Quote:
Originally Posted by dpg View Post
Geez, glad I didn't know you as a kid.

O.K. go ahead and say it, so are you!!
The guy is 20 years old and everybody refers to him as a "kid". A responsible kid at that. Sounds like a breeding ground for the future cap't boneheads on the lake. I jest....for each their own. I have to go now....I'm meeting a bunch of my pals down at the skateboard park to work on the new back slide ollie.
Old 07-23-2008, 12:57 PM   #23
WINNOCTURN
Deceased Member

Lightbulb He just does not get IT!

Quote:

I just read the article where MR. DiFabio thinks he did no wrong. What about braeking the "LAW"?

Two years ago when the law went into effect two fellows were caught "SKIMMING" under the bridge in Wolfeboro. Not only did they receive a fine for this act, but they had to attend and pass an ADULT Safety Course. I wounder if this will apply to Mr. Difabio and the other young gentleman caught SKIMMING?

RSA 215-C:50

TITLE XVIII
FISH AND GAME
CHAPTER 215-C
SNOWMOBILES
Section 215-C:7
215-C:7 Operation on Open Water Prohibited. – No person shall knowingly operate a snowmobile on open water, also known as skimming. In this section, "open water'' means any area of an inland water body that is free of ice and snow. This section shall not apply to events as permitted pursuant to RSA 215-C:50.
Source. 2005, 210:1, eff. July 1, 2006.

To paraphrase, What don't you understand about "ILLEGAL"!
WINNOCTURN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2008, 04:40 PM   #24
NonVoting Taxpayer

Default Invite Him to Forum fest 2008

Maybe he should be invited to Forum Fest 2008 and meet him and then everyone can draw a conclusion to his character? Just a thought.
NonVoting Taxpayer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2008, 04:48 PM   #25
GTO

Default oh ok,

Quote:
Originally Posted by NonVoting Taxpayer View Post
Maybe he should be invited to Forum Fest 2008 and meet him and then everyone can draw a conclusion to his character? Just a thought.
I'm sure Jeffrey Dahmer was a nice guy in person too but I would'nt have him (over) for dinner. Ok, maybe that was stretching it a little.
Old 07-23-2008, 06:26 PM   #26
no-engine

IN ADDITION TO LAW,
He needs to learn "respect" of others on a body of water. I'll tell you that it's very scary to observe some boaters who observe no common courtesy to others on lake. No different that ski slopes now, and the highways.

As a boating learner, at a young age, I was taught respect to the water, for whatever the body of water is. I do not see it anymore. As another wrote, YES, he needs to take the operator certification course. Possibly have his ability to become certified pulled!

I could go on........
no-engine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2008, 07:03 PM   #27
Pineedles

Default Ff 2008

Quote:
Originally Posted by NonVoting Taxpayer View Post
Yeah what's the story on FFV?
Pineedles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2008, 10:34 AM   #28
webmaster

Thanked 3,775 Times in 832 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pineedles View Post
Yeah what's the story on FFV?
Please ask your question in the ForumFest 2008 thread instead of hijacking this one.
webmaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2008, 03:04 PM   #29
pontiac464

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post
Your very bright friend was smart to be thinking about the $10 of gas that would not be any good if water got in it. Good thing he wasn't thinking about the $12,000 machine that sank in 50 feet of water.

Remember kids.....this is your brain on drugs...any questions?

ya uuummmm it was like 15 feet of water and the sled brand new would never be 12,000, try like 8,000.
just to be correct.
Old 07-25-2008, 08:13 PM   #30
shooter

I know that kid , he is one great fellow so dont judge someone you dont know
shooter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2008, 05:38 PM   #31
GTO

Default I stand corrected....

Quote:
ya uuummmm it was like 15 feet of water and the sled brand new would never be 12,000, try like 8,000.
just to be correct.

isn't it ironic....GTO/Pontiac....ok...thats where it ends. So I was a little off in my depth and cost of machines. Fact: It doesn't matter if it was the shallow end of my parents pool on a $8234.32 machine...It was still a bone head thing to do and you haven't convinced anyone here that it wasn't. oh yeah, I forgot, he's great kid.
Old 07-26-2008, 08:40 PM   #32
GTO

Default enough judging

Quote:
Originally Posted by shooter View Post
I know that kid , he is one great fellow so dont judge someone you dont know
first of all Shooter....I loved you in Happy Gilmore. Just curious, if a bunch of kids, lets say honor students, went around your neighborhood shooting paintball guns at houses just for kicks, would you judge them? Oh sure, they didn't hurt anyone and although what they did was illegal, they were still good kids. Maybe your friend is a great kid.....but I personally nominate him for a Bonehead of the year award....or at least an honorable mention.
Old 07-27-2008, 08:24 AM   #33
no-engine

Default Get a life!

Snow machines on lake - any body of water!

Are you likely to use your water skis on a slalom ski course on Gunstock Ski Area in winter? Of course not!

Where is one's respect and common sense for ALL others on beaches and lakes in summer, with the appropriate "tools" for the activity?

These threads seem so "whatever adjective"............. TIME TO MOVE ON!
no-engine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2008, 07:18 PM   #34
shooter

paint ball guns ?. well I am a big fan of guns , hence the name SHOOTER
and I also am a kid at heart , so I would say the paint ball sinerio would not bother me either ! no one likes a stick in the mud !!!!hello
Old 07-28-2008, 10:56 AM   #35
dpg

Quote:
Originally Posted by no-engine View Post

Are you likely to use your water skis on a slalom ski course on Gunstock Ski Area in winter? Of course not!

Where is one's respect and common sense for ALL others on beaches and lakes in summer, with the appropriate "tools" for the activity?

Oh please, lighten up and enjoy life.
dpg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2008, 11:19 AM   #36
GTO

Default I figured

Quote:
and I also am a kid at heart , so I would say the paint ball sinerio would not bother me either ! no one likes a stick in the mud !!!!hello

This closes this whole thread for me after that response. I discovered exactly what I am dealing with.......

Beam me up Scotty, there is no intelligent life down here.
Old 07-28-2008, 02:11 PM   #37
Colt

Default Exactly my point

I'm not surpised at the debate here. I was having the internal debate with myself when I started this thread. One side thought it was pretty cool to see...the other wondered about the risks involved.

But that's the middle age dilemma isn't it? As a 40 yr old father/husband I'd like to be a little more reckless sometime and cling to some of that youth but resposibility has to take priority...right?
Old 07-28-2008, 02:28 PM   #38
sa meredith

Default just for the fun of it

Really, I don't think these guys meant any harm, and I don't think it's the end of the world. I can see where there might be the threat of danger to a swimmer, but every power boat sort of provides the same threat, no?
And think about it. How many people reading this board would have the nerve to try it???? I wouldn't. And it has nothing to do with fear of being caught. Even 20/25 years ago...no way. But watch a buddy do it??? Hell yeah. Everyone does foolish things when they are young. They give birth to great memories...stories to tell aroung the camp fire. I submit, as my evidence, this thread from two year ago. I hope the link works....
http://www.winnipesaukee.com/forums/...g+weirs+bridge
sa meredith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2008, 03:18 PM   #39
shooter

Default live it on the edge

If everyone was so well behaved , so polite, so politically correct ,so studious and cautious what a boring world and life . no adventure no progress no risk no gain please scotty beam up the na sayers beam them up now !!!! thank you:c heers:
Old 07-30-2008, 12:30 PM   #40
rander7823

Default You forgot

and no Darwin Awards
rander7823 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2008, 12:54 PM   #41
Woodsy

just my .02...

I don't condone "skimming" but I really dont see what the big deal is with this!

Yes, they broke the law against "skimming". However it was done in the summertime with warm water temps. At no point was any rescuer put in any danger whatsoever. (the real point of the "No Skimming" Law. The operators where wearing Life Vests, and the snowmobiles were recovered from the lake quickly. There was no pollution of the lake (well certianly not any more pollution than your average 2 stroke outboard motor) They will pay the fines and be done with it.... I think they will be telling this story to their friends for the rest of thier lives!

Now if this were done during the winter, its a completely different story... and possible outcome!

Woodsy

PS: In a local watering hole in the Weirs a picture is prominently displayed of 4 sleds skimming side by side down the Weirs Channnel.... OH THE HORROR!!
Old 07-30-2008, 01:02 PM   #42
sa meredith

Default agree

Woodsy...While I can certainly see both sides here, I lean very strongly with you.
Very strongly. (see my post 4 spots back).
However, I believe some members can be a bit "stuffy" when it comes to matters they view as "lake abuse".
Was is technically wrong? Yeah, I guess.
But so is jumping off the Weirs Bridge a long time ago. And who among us has never done that?
sa meredith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2008, 06:15 PM   #43
hazelnut

Good post Woodsy.... I for one might have egged one of my buddies on when I was young to do something probably stupider than this. As a matter of fact I could almost see myself standing next to this kid as he got ready to skim the bay egging him on. Now 15-20 years or so removed from my teen years I can see the other side..... but..... being reminded by Woodsy here brings me back.... I was always the antagonist... never the actual participant...

Anyway, I'm sure he learned his lesson and he'll move on to the next stunt.
hazelnut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2008, 06:38 PM   #44
2Blackdogs

Quote:
Originally Posted by hazelnut View Post
Anyway, I'm sure he learned his lesson and he'll move on to the next stunt.
Yup. He'll get five of his buddies to skim with him at night, with NO lights!

Woo-Hoo, Slidin' in Sideways, Woo-Hooo.

2Blackdogs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2008, 03:38 PM   #45
pontiac464

Default wow

it seems like people care more about insulting people on this forum than actually trying to prove a point with facts and evidence to back them up. i like getting some people all wound up with the remarks i make just to see what rediculous post they will put up next. for all those who agree with me or stand on the same side of the tracks ... thanks
Old 08-04-2008, 11:27 AM   #46
GTO

Default Ok, ok

Quote:

You've got me shooter. I'm starting to see your side now. As a matter of fact.....I was just reading the thread of the BB gun shootings over in Laconia. Can you beleive the nerve of those people complaining? So what!!!! I'm sure it was just a group of honor role, well respected kids just out having some fun. Man, take it easy everyone. The baby wasn't hurt or anything. man.....adults these days have nothing better to do then to pick on these teens just out having a little fun....sticks in the mud I call them
Old 08-06-2008, 09:43 AM   #47
shooter

Quote:
You've got me shooter. I'm starting to see your side now. As a matter of fact.....I was just reading the thread of the BB gun shootings over in Laconia. Can you beleive the nerve of those people complaining? So what!!!! I'm sure it was just a group of honor role, well respected kids just out having some fun. Man, take it easy everyone. The baby wasn't hurt or anything. man.....adults these days have nothing better to do then to pick on these teens just out having a little fun....sticks in the mud I call them
I knew it would only be a matter of time that you listened to reason
Old 08-06-2008, 02:23 PM   #48
VitaBene

Thanked 1,610 Times in 824 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by no-engine View Post

Ummmmm..... I watched snowmobiles and motorcycles ripping up those same Gunstock trails during bike week.
VitaBene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2008, 03:02 PM   #49
chipj29

Quote:
Originally Posted by VitaBene View Post
Ummmmm..... I watched snowmobiles and motorcycles ripping up those same Gunstock trails during bike week.
I think the point of all of it is exactly that...that was an organized activity. The snowmobile watercrossings at Petersons farm in Freemont are an organized activity.
The Meredith Bay snowmobile water crossings were not an organized activity, and also illegal.
Old 08-06-2008, 03:48 PM   #50
GTO

Default only sarcasm......

Quote:
I knew it would only be a matter of time that you listened to reason
I could never reason with the mind of one that uses emoticons of dancing bananas and beer clanging mugs....you know...the same kind most 10 year olds are using.....aaaahhhhh, now this all make sense to me. Now I know what I'm dealing with.
Old 08-07-2008, 03:04 PM   #51
shooter

Quote:
I could never reason with the mind of one that uses emoticons of dancing bananas and beer clanging mugs....you know...the same kind most 10 year olds are using.....aaaahhhhh, now this all make sense to me. Now I know what I'm dealing with.
Its called humor some people have a sense of it some people dont ...its called wit some people have it some dont..its called a challange some like it some dont ...its called zest for life some have it some dont .
some folks like excitement out of life
and some are just are just boring sticks in the mud

cheers!!!!!!!:ch eers: