Go Back   Winnipesaukee Forum > Winnipesaukee Forums > General Discussion
Home Forums Gallery Webcams Blogs YouTube Channel Classifieds Calendar Register FAQDonate Members List Today's Posts

Old 03-11-2008, 12:58 PM   #1
NHDOLFAN

Default Ice Conditions

Has anyone been out to Rattlesnake Island via Wolfeboro Bay or Alton Bay? I am curious what the rain has done to the safety of the ice. Any info would be greatly appreciated.
NHDOLFAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2008, 08:18 PM   #2
Formula260SS

I'm interested as well, any info would be great. I'm guessing from the ice fishing website I troll on that it could be OK if we get some light snow this week. I'm pretty sure it will be tight enough to go by sled but lube/cooling would be the problem without any snow. Did I just say that ??? need more snow ????

Yikes !!
Formula260SS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2008, 06:20 AM   #3
NHDOLFAN

Default Ice conditions

I spoke with a friend who ventured out on Monday. He said that the ice is solid but without snow, the sleds were not good. He said that an ATV or walking would be best until we get more snow. Hard to believe that anyone who lived in NH would make that statement!
Old 03-14-2008, 08:33 AM   #4
Formula260SS

Default Broads Ice

Quote:
Originally Posted by NHDOLFAN View Post
I spoke with a friend who ventured out on Monday. He said that the ice is solid but without snow, the sleds were not good. He said that an ATV or walking would be best until we get more snow. Hard to believe that anyone who lived in NH would make that statement!

Any updates??, Planning on a trip to the island on Sunday
Old 03-14-2008, 09:18 AM   #5
NHDOLFAN

Default Conditions

No update from me. However, if you go to the Snake Eyes thread, several people have stated that the ice is solid but with little snow cover for snowmobile lubrication. There is a snow storm coming tonight and should drop 2-5".
Sponsored Links
Old 03-14-2008, 09:19 AM   #6
Island Girl

Default Snow this afternoon

Things could change out here if we get the few inches of snow that is forecast today. Ask again later... There was a dusting last night... you can take a snowmobile... it is just really bumpy..

....... Make Lemonade
Island Girl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2008, 10:55 AM   #7
Blue Thunder

Default Lubrication!!

It's only being casually mentioned here but kick some snow onto your tracks and slides on your sled before leaving to go onto the ice. Other wise it won't take long to burn out your carbides or the slides on your sled track. There is no lubrication when on ice.

BT
Old 03-14-2008, 03:32 PM   #8
Formula260SS

Thanks for the updates
Old 03-15-2008, 07:32 PM   #9
Webbsatwinni

We went to the island (rattlesnake) this afternoon, the snow from last night created a cover on the ice that made snowmobiling ok. Things are slushy and everything (roof and deck snow) is melting. I would guess that this is the last night we spend here until the boat is in the water.
Webbsatwinni is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2008, 05:58 AM   #10
NHDOLFAN

Thanks for the info. I am wondering if the ice is safe enough to walk on to get out to the island? I'm hoping with the colder temps that the slush will freeze and I can get there by snowmobile. If anyone ventures out to the island and would like to help me out, send a reply. I need to get my camper cover for my boat as I sold it. I have not had a chance to venture out to the island.
Old 03-17-2008, 07:59 AM   #11
Island Girl

Default Ice Conditions

The ice is very solid on the broads side of Rattlesnake... Yesterday the surface was corn snow and enough of it for snowmobiling.

The thing to be careful about is where you are going onto the island. The east and south parts of the island get the sun all afternoon and the ice is pulling away from the edges. In some spots it is all water at the edge and some thin ice (may not look thin)... look for snowmobile tracks... and get there today. There is weather coming in and who knows what will happen to the ice then.

Please do not go alone and make sure others know your travel plan. Call someone when you venture out and when you leave the island.

Good Luck
IG

....... Make Lemonade
Old 03-17-2008, 08:06 AM   #12
Formula260SS

Default Broads Ice

I was out yesterday as well, Ice very solid but "corn" Ice that will turn to slush with a few warm days. Edges will go first for sure, be carefull about 1/2 way up the island, broads side, one guys Ice eater is out of control and the water is open well off the shoreline.

Is it Ice Out yet ?
Old 03-17-2008, 08:19 AM   #13
NHDOLFAN

I would be coming from Brewster Beach and heading to the Alton side of the island, about halfway up. It should be okay. I wanted to head out this weekend but my truck was in the shop, so I could not hitch up the sleds.
Old 03-17-2008, 08:57 AM   #14
Island Girl

Default Shore

South or North of the peninsula?

....... Make Lemonade
Old 03-17-2008, 09:13 AM   #15
NHDOLFAN

I'm not very good with directions. I would say that I am South or more towards the Alton Bay direction.
Old 03-17-2008, 09:15 AM   #16
Island Girl

Default Edges

Just watch out for the edges.... it may look safe... it is a good idea to carry a pole to poke the ice, and wear spikes for your hands, in case you fall in!!

When are you going?

IG

....... Make Lemonade
Old 03-17-2008, 09:31 AM   #17
NHDOLFAN

I'm hoping to go 1 day this week. The guy is picking up the boat on Sunday and I would like to give him the cover.
Old 03-17-2008, 09:31 AM   #18
Merrymeeting

I have been traveling outside the country for the past 2 weeks. It is amazing to notice the changes when you haven't seen them every day.

When I left we had just had another storm and the snowbanks on the sides of the roads looked like they would be with us until July. But here in central MA and 2 weeks later, most of the snow pack is gone except for the big piles in parking areas (and in my back yard!). All the ponds and lakes are clear of snow, and it looks like the ice is going quickly.

There is a pond I pass on the way to work that usually has the ice go about 2-3 weeks before the lakes region. The ice has already pulled away from the shoreline by about 2-3 feet and there rest looks thin.

This all has been very surprising to me since the weather hasn't been unusually warm. I know there was a lot of rain while I was gone, and it is surprising how much still melts on a mid-thirties day.

Be careful if you venture out on the lake.
Merrymeeting is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2008, 09:44 PM   #19
Coolbreeze

NHDOLFAN,
If you have never made the trip this time of the year go easy. When in doubt, follow your instincts-don't go. With the seemingly warmer temps and the sun higher in the sky the ice is starting to move around, expand and contract etc. The shore line ice that is absorbing the sunlight in the day is getting soggy and then freezing up at night. You can hear the ice groaning and popping on a sunny day. Along the shoreline be really careful and scout the areas you plan on getting on and off the ice to the land before you commit to a spot. A good set of binoculars as well as polarized sunglasses are needed. The ice will break in large pieces around jetties, bubblers and other more natural land features. You may see solid ice at a distance, but there may be open water in between these pieces with spans over 6 feet across.(More than I can jump across, i don't know what you can do!)Anyway the safest ice at this time of the year is away from the land, watch out for ridgelines and if you see birds hanging out on the ice the chances are high that there is open water around- go easy. Follow the directions previosly given by island girl. It is important that someone locally knows your plan. Consider also wearing a orange or red life jacket and maybe even carry a flare gun- it may save your life if you go in alone. Check out some photo posts from lakes region ariels, they show some past ice movement in the direction you are going from Brewster past Barndoor out across the broads to the end of rattlesnake. Also take note as you go to where you may see other travelers on the lake or islands along the way, they may help you if you get into a pinch. Take pictures for us-
Coolbreeze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2008, 06:36 PM   #20
Webbsatwinni

Does any have have an update on ice conditions, can I squeak out another night on Rattlesnake before Ice Out?
Old 03-19-2008, 07:52 PM   #21
codeman671

Quote:
Originally Posted by Webbsatwinni View Post
Does any have have an update on ice conditions, can I squeak out another night on Rattlesnake before Ice Out?
It is definitely getting to be that time when I would think twice. People are still on the ice but sparsely. If you really want to do it, I would make this weekend it for sure. Beyond that things can get sketchy quickly.

I spent a lot of time on the ice last year in the airboat and there were days looking from shore that I thought it was OK and found that it was not the case when out there. Obviously in an airboat we were safe, on a snowmobile it is a different story.

On a fast sled with a lot of HP and picks you can go almost anywhere but this time of year with a family in tow the risk vs reward is not worth it. Take the time to get anything done around your home that you need to do so that at ice out you can have a boat in the water and be ready to enjoy the new place for your first whole summer. My boat is ready to be in my slip by April 18th, I am still hoping the date will work. I have been in the water and out on the lake the last 3 years on the day ice-out was called.

That area is clearly Island Girl's domain so I would ask her and her neighbors for their advice. If you go, be careful!
codeman671 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2008, 05:36 AM   #22
Formula260SS

I'm of the same thinking of Codeman, high HP sled with picks are a must as the weather loosens up the top layer of the lake. I have reports of 20" in areas around the broads but what will happen this year is the top will get soft fast due to all the snow ice. There is still plenty of ice but the slush that will develop is what will cause the problems. When you bury a sled to the running boards it's not the easiest thing to get out. I'm hoping to make my last run on Sat if conditions allow it, after this weekend I'd think twice unless we get a good cold snap.
Old 03-20-2008, 06:40 AM   #23
NHDOLFAN

Formula- where are you located? If your in the area of my cottage, maybe you could help me out. I'm on the Alton side of Rattlesnake #396.
Old 03-21-2008, 05:38 AM   #24
Formula260SS

Quote:
Originally Posted by NHDOLFAN View Post
Formula- where are you located? If your in the area of my cottage, maybe you could help me out. I'm on the Alton side of Rattlesnake #396.
Just sent you a PM
Old 03-21-2008, 07:15 AM   #25
Island Girl

Thumbs down Getting onto the ice

The problem will be finding a safe place to get onto the ice. Mince Cove was no longer safe a couple of days ago and West Alton Marina was getting unsafe as well... according to a report I received. Perhaps someone else can tell you where it is safe to get onto the ice.

Keep in mind... conditions can change in an hour... what is frozen in the morning may open up in when the sun hits it.

This is a dangerous time of year. Be careful out there.

....... Make Lemonade
Old 03-21-2008, 08:14 AM   #26
codeman671

I wish the wind that we are getting in Dover today was about 3 weeks from now.
codeman671 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2008, 08:25 AM   #27
Grady223

The WCYC camera still shows a bob house out off Sewall Point - getting kind of late for that isn't it?
Grady223 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2008, 08:53 AM   #28
Blue Thunder

Default It's not worth it...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Island Girl View Post
This is a dangerous time of year. Be careful out there.
I completely agree. The ice may be good out in the middle, but it's just not worth becoming a statistic in late March. I made my last trip last Sunday from my Island to the mainland. I know what some of you will say, but Sebago and Winnipesaukee have many similarities. It was a very different jump/skimming experience from the morning to the afternoon at the edges. Large pieces will break off this time of year and you could be in big trouble. Don't let the deep snow fool you.

Blue Thunder
Old 03-21-2008, 05:37 PM   #29
Lakegeezer

Default Northeast lake conditions

The edges of the northeast portion of the lake are mostly very solid still. Even the rocks that normally get soupy this time of year are just starting to show some melt. The unsafe areas are around the narrows and the bubblers; as always - and those areas are starting to grow. Will it ever melt!?
Old 03-21-2008, 06:24 PM   #30
Zee

Two pick-ups were visible all day today off Chase Island in 19 mile Bay. The bob houses have all been moved closer to shore except a camper which looks like it is frozen in. It's getting pretty dicey out there. I hope we don't have any break throughs with those trucks. Life is way too short.
Zee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2008, 07:07 AM   #31
Merrymeeting

Quote:
Originally Posted by Merrymeeting View Post
There is a pond I pass on the way to work that usually has the ice go about 2-3 weeks before the lakes region.
Despite a relatively cold weekend, temps rarely out of the 30's, nights in the low twenties and teens, and the areas that have melted refreezing over night, much to my amazement, this pond was 1/2 ice free this morning and looks like it will completely go sometime today. I never would have believed this given how solid it was last Friday.

I suspect the ice on the lakes is weakening from below too. I hope those vehicles are off soon.
Old 03-24-2008, 09:38 AM   #32
liberator211

I made the trip out to Bear Island from Meredith Neck on Friday afternoon and spent the whole weekend out on the island. Around Dolly the water is beginning to open up a bit. Between Mark and Bear Island the ice depth averages 22 inches. I measured it in many spots. I can not recall the ice being this thick this time of year. People who know the lake should not have any problems on the ice for the next week or two. Be careful but we are still a long long way from ice-out.
liberator211 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2008, 11:46 AM   #33
Weirs guy

Its strange, with all this snow and ice still around I have to remind myself its late March!

Now?
Weirs guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2008, 06:35 PM   #34
20mile

Unhappy Ice conditions

Last weekend the ice in 20 mile bay was approx 24" but was getting meally. This weekend it was hard and solid again. I have never seen ice this thick, this late in the year. Ice out in May this year.
20mile is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2008, 06:53 PM   #35
secondcurve

I hope over confidence and perception don't conspire to cost someone their life out on the lake this SPRING. Remember, while it is easy to feel lulled into thinking winter will last forever, SPRING has arrived and with it is rapidly changing ice conditions. I have a simple rule, I don't go out on any body of water in the Lakes Region after March 15th. Yes, I occasionally miss a day of late season snowmobiling or ice fishing, but it is a small price to pay to avoid becoming the topic of a Forum thread on this site. Stay safe.
secondcurve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2008, 03:55 AM   #36
VitaBene

Thanked 1,609 Times in 823 Posts

I agree second- the ice was not good this year consistency wise either. My truck stayed on shore this winter.
VitaBene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2008, 06:00 AM   #37
Blue Thunder

The majority of the ice on the lake is "snow ice", meaning it was snow that melted and/or got rained on and then turned to ice. That type of ice is full of air and, with the right weather, will melt quickly. We didn't get a good solid freeze of "black" ice to start things off. CLA, is there a more technical explanation that that??

BT
Old 03-25-2008, 07:12 AM   #38
SIKSUKR

I certainly would not use the calander as a basis for using the ice.If you did that then you would have been pretty wet early in the season last year.Check the conditions and make your decision from that.
That reminds me of the skiers I saw this weekend.They dress by the calander.The weather was very cold and January-like and people are dressed for "spring".
Old 03-25-2008, 07:52 AM   #39
Merrymeeting

No matter what the condition or stability of what is there, with temps at night hitting the low teens, and a forecast of the same cold, wet, below norm weather pattern for some time out, it isn't going anywhere anytime soon.
Old 03-26-2008, 11:15 AM   #40
trfour

Post We Should All Be Thankful...

that Mother Nature is being so kind to us, with the flood potential being what it is. Cold temps at night, not too warm during the day.

Always Remember, The Best Safety Device In The Boat, or on a PWC Snowmobile etc., Is YOU!

Safe sledding tips and much more; http://www.snowmobile.org/snowmobiling-safety.html
trfour is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2008, 08:21 PM   #41
Merrymeeting

Quote:
There is a pond I pass on the way to work that usually has the ice go about 2-3 weeks before the lakes region. The ice has already pulled away from the shoreline by about 2-3 feet and there rest looks thin.
Ice-out was declared on the aforementioned pond today! Therefore my new prediction for Winnipesaukee Ice-Out is April 16th, the day after we are all broke.
Old 03-26-2008, 08:32 PM   #42
jetskier

Talking Speak for yourself!

Quote:
Ice-out was declared on the aforementioned pond today! Therefore my new prediction for Winnipesaukee Ice-Out is April 16th, the day after we are all broke.
Some folks don't procrastinate and wait for the 15th to be broke.

Jetskier
jetskier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2008, 06:28 AM   #43
Formula260SS

Default Ice Updates

Can I sneak one more trip to the Island in ?
Old 03-29-2008, 07:12 AM   #44
Webbsatwinni

I was going to ask the same question, but I figured I was pushing my luck this time of year. I did however see sled tracks in front of the Weir's can today, so someone was brave.

If you go, take pictures.
Old 03-29-2008, 02:51 PM   #45
20mile

Default ice 20" plus thick

The ice is still 20 plus thick. The ice is very punky though. The ice auger is plucking it out when you drill a hole. I would say that after this week I would not venture out. the ice can be thick but not suport any weight. It is like crushed ice ont the top of a drink.
20mile is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2008, 03:18 PM   #46
nj2nh

I was looking at Black Cat's webcam (the time lapse sequence) and saw snowmobile tracks suddenely appear between the shoals were water is clearly visible and the dock where water is also visible. I don't know if these people are brave or just plain foolhardy, but it seems they must have made it across as the tracks do not disappear into the ice.

Scary.

nj2nh
Old 03-29-2008, 03:32 PM   #47
Lakepilot

We've had sleds go by all day in Wolfeboro by Grant Island.
Lakepilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2008, 06:59 PM   #48
jetskier

Default Slow Melting

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lakepilot View Post
We've had sleds go by all day in Wolfeboro by Grant Island.
We came up for the weekend and it is still quite cold. The temperature today was around 29 degrees. However, the sun is strong, so there is melting based upon thermal absorbtion (roads, roofs etc...).

Lake Winnisquam has some large areas of open water; there is a lone bob hut sitting out on the ice. Hmmm...I thought that they have to be out by Tuesday. Lake Oppechee has open water pretty much throughout. Winnipesaukee still seems pretty frozen; however, I am not going to trek out there.

We looked at the snowmobile trails and they are getting thin. There are bare spots in sections and likely rocks emerging in the woods.

I believe that the weather is going to get warmer next week. I would expect a slow melt for the LARGE piles of snow and ice out seems no time soon.

Jetskier
jetskier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2008, 07:47 AM   #49
riverat

Although the thickness of the ice on Alton Bay is around 14-16" the strength and durability of it is junk, watched as crews tried to figure out the best plan to remove two vehicles from the ice yesterday that were in jeapordy of going through. It is a scary picture because the ramp looks good and the ice is thick therefore some people think it is OK to drive on.
Old 03-30-2008, 07:55 AM   #50
pmj

too late. WMUR reported this morning that an SUV went through the ice on Alton Bay yesterday. When someone drove another SUV out to help (duh), it also went through the ice.
pmj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2008, 08:07 AM   #51
upthesaukee

Thanked 1,921 Times in 1,063 Posts
Default Here's some of the story

From the Citizen on line:
http://www.citizen.com/apps/pbcs.dll...725/-1/CITIZEN

We were going into the Dockside about 6:30 PM when they were extracting the Jimmy. Our companions had been listening to a scanner, and said there was also a pickup truck that had a problem also.

Oh well, at least they weren't trying to test the ice to see if it was strong enough to hold a vehicle!
Old 03-30-2008, 09:44 AM   #52
Ropetow

I saw the SUV yesterday early afternoon as I was driving home from the Belknap Mall...needed the 'fix' of a boat show, even a small one. Noticed the SUV listing badly to starboard and drove into the Shibleys parking lot to check it out. Then went to Gillans to do more boat-browsing (and check to see how deep my boat was buried) and it looked like the guys were bringing out a big jack to try and raise the front end. Still couldn't tell for sure if it was a flat or if the wheel sunk through. Not sure if that jack helped any!
Ropetow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2008, 09:48 AM   #53
Coolbreeze

Looks like there were Mass plates on the Chevy!
Coolbreeze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2008, 02:52 PM   #54
secondcurve

And your point is?
Old 03-30-2008, 03:37 PM   #55
Formula260SS

Default Ice Conditions

Ran out to Rattlesnake from the landing today, everything is tight but you can tell by looking a the ice it will get punky quick. One warm week should jump start the process. Drove over to Minge and it's starting to look a little sloppy, the days are numbered over there. Still a good snow pack in the woods, lets still keep our fingers crossed for warm days and cold nights.

Not sure what the guys in Alton Bay were thinking
Old 03-30-2008, 07:44 PM   #56
secondcurve

The point is they weren't!
Old 03-31-2008, 07:09 AM   #57
chipj29

Quote:
Originally Posted by Formula260SS View Post
Not sure what the guys in Alton Bay were thinking
I would venture to guess that they were thinking about where to get some clean underwear for the ride home!
chipj29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2008, 11:52 AM   #58
Weirs guy

Thats funny, I saw the 2 on Alton Bay Saturday and thought someone should call the dive team now. Did they get the bob house/campers off? There was a pack of about 20 sleds on Weirs Bay last night, complete with skimmers.

Now?
Weirs guy is offline   Reply With Quote