Go Back   Winnipesaukee Forum > Winnipesaukee Forums > General Discussion
Home Forums Gallery Webcams Blogs YouTube Channel Classifieds Calendar Register FAQDonate Members List Today's Posts

Old 04-23-2007, 03:24 PM   #1
Martin6683

Default Ideal dates for July 4th vacation??? any advice?

Hey guys,
I was wondering....since July 4th occurs on a Wednesday this year, what are the good dates to take off for vacation. Like when will the most people be up here. Im taking 6 friends with me and we were thinking of staying at the Naswa. We were thinking July 3rd to the 8th (Tuesday - Sunday) I have a boat so I would like to see as many fireworks as I can from the water. But my question is...is the big weekend the weekend before or after July 4th? We are looking to stay 5 nights, any recommendations on the best 5 nights to stay in which we could have the most fun by seeing the most fireworks (anywhere on the lake) and also other fun activities like fairs, or markets, etc??? Any advice is greatly appreciated!
Thanks
Martin
Martin6683 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2007, 07:01 PM   #2
Good N' You?

So Marty, Let me get this straight....You are going to take off Tuesday through Sunday? So are you really going to work on Monday? Good luck with that. Lol. Anyway, there are fireworks every Friday and usually on July 3rd at 12:00 AM. So I would stick with your plan. At least you'll see those 2 shows right at the Weirs.
Good luck and we'll be there too.

Good N' You?
Old 04-23-2007, 07:40 PM   #3
Rose

Default Sunday-Thursday

I would go Sunday to Thursday. The boating in that time-frame is more sane.

The last time the fourth fell on a Wednesday, we went up just for the 4th and 5th. We went to the Wolfeboro fireworks by boat. My most fervent advice would be to stay put at the end of the fireworks if you go by boat...we left with the crowd and it was absolutely insane.
Rose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2007, 07:09 AM   #4
Dave R

I'd say the best time for a July 4th vacation is late August... We don't like crowds much.
Dave R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2007, 08:48 AM   #5
kchace

Default Vacancy?

You'd better check right away to see if they have rooms available. This is pretty late to book rooms.

Ken
kchace is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 04-24-2007, 09:14 AM   #6
tricia1218

I would agree Dave R on the best time for July 4th vacation is August. The
4th is VERY crowded. I would pick the week after, at least that week you can get around in boat and car.
tricia1218 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2007, 10:16 AM   #7
LIforrelaxin

Location: Long Island, not that one, the one on Winnipesaukee

Quote:
Originally Posted by tricia1218
I would agree Dave R on the best time for July 4th vacation is August. The
4th is VERY crowded. I would pick the week after, at least that week you can get around in boat and car.
I am going to 3rd this vote. I have a camp on the lake and for the last 3 or 4 years have not been at the lake. Rather I use that weekend to go visit friends in other less crowded areas. Sure there is a lot going on, but the traffic both on and of the water, makes the experience less worth it.

As for going to the fire works buy boat, I like most people have done this many times. My adivice is simple, where ever you go don't feel like you need a front row seat. Stay back away from the crowd, where you still have a good view of the show, but when it is time to leave you are in front of the crowd. (e.g. Center Harbor, don't go down into the harbor)
Old 04-24-2007, 11:18 AM   #8
mg2107

Labor Day !
mg2107 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2007, 11:51 AM   #9
Gatto Nero

Quote:
Originally Posted by LIforrelaxin
As for going to the fire works buy boat, I like most people have done this many times. My adivice is simple, where ever you go don't feel like you need a front row seat. Stay back away from the crowd, where you still have a good view of the show, but when it is time to leave you are in front of the crowd. (e.g. Center Harbor, don't go down into the harbor)
I couldn't disagree more. It sounds like the fireworks are Martin's primary motivation to come to the lake on the 4th and there is no better place to experience them then right up front. As long as you're not in a hurry to get home just hang out and wait for the masses to leave. You are on vacation after all, so make the most of it.
Old 04-24-2007, 12:53 PM   #10
GTO

Default I agree

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gatto Nero
I couldn't disagree more. It sounds like the fireworks are Martin's primary motivation to come to the lake on the 4th and there is no better place to experience them then right up front. As long as you're not in a hurry to get home just hang out and wait for the masses to leave. You are on vacation after all, so make the most of it.

I agree with Gatto. We take the boat into Center Harbor every year and get front row seats. There is nothing better than to be that close during the finale. And afterwards, just be patient. In about 15-20 minutes the bay empties out and you can just cruise out without any traffic. It can be tricky getting out of Center Harbor at the beginning when you have 4-5 boats wide trying to get past those markers.
Old 04-24-2007, 01:23 PM   #11
Merrymeeting

I don't see the fireworks listed on the events calendar yet. But given that seems to be your primary reason for coming, you might want to let the firework display schedules dicate when you arrive. Many many not be on the 4th.

As for those who would recommend you come some time other than 4th week, I disagree. Everyone should come during that week! Then the rest of the time remains relatively quiet. For those trying to get people to come at times other than this week.... SSSSHHHHHHH!!!!!!
Merrymeeting is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2007, 04:09 PM   #12
ghfromaltonbay

Thumbs down 4th of July week

I agree that August is better than the first week in July. First, the water gets warmer later in the summer and there are great fireworks all summer, so why hassle with the crowds on 7/4? It's easier to get a reservation for a gang later than the busiest week of the summer.

Alton Bay has great fireworks for their homecoming weekend (usually the 2nd full weekend in Aug.) and also on the Sunday of Labor day weekend. Funspot or the Weirs has fireworks all summer long. Why go when the masses are around?
ghfromaltonbay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2007, 04:39 PM   #13
mets3007

I am going up to NH the week after the 4th aka Sunday the 8th-15th, we dont like big crowds and prefer to watch fireworks from home. I also go up 2 weeks in August as well as this is the best time as its usually quieter especially one week will be the day after Soulfest so they will be leaving and I will be coming.
mets3007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2007, 06:50 PM   #14
wildwoodfam

Unhappy This seems like a MOOT POINTS folks....

I doubt that martin and five friends will find any accomodations on the fourth of july at this stage in the game....perhaps we should be encouraging him to look to Labor Day - and the fireworks at the end of the season - have you ever tried to book motels or cottages at the lake for the fourth - they start filling up in January!! We had family come visit one summer - could not fit everyone - some relatives ended up staying in CONWAY - which was OK because they were the shoppers in the family and didnt so much mind - but NO VACANCY signs pop up for that week EARLY!

Good luck - and if you do decided on 4th of July - you'll need to book SATURDAY through SATURDAY - thats the deal at the lake in SUMMER Season! Some of the BIG Hotels allow 3 nights - but those go in January or February!!
wildwoodfam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2007, 10:11 AM   #15
nj2nh

Default June and August

As a kid, we used to go up for two weeks including the Fourth. My brother still goes up the week of the Fourth, but we skip it now.

We go the minute the kids get out of school in June (well, not the literal minute, but that night or the next morning) and then again for a couple of weeks in August. The water is coooooooooold in June and only just cooold in August. Can't wait.

Jersey Girl
Old 04-25-2007, 10:45 AM   #16
Excalibur

Location: Gilford,NH is where I would like to be and Southborough, MA is where I have to be
Default NASCAR Race at Loudon July 1st

There will be additional people in the Lakes Region this weekend.
Excalibur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2007, 02:23 PM   #17
Martin6683

Thanks for the input guys. I kinda like the crowds....meeting people at the hotel , and at the shallow spots on the lake doing bbq's. Anyways last week the naswa still had openings i better call right now! thanks again!
Martin6683 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2007, 02:36 PM   #18
John A. Birdsall

Default fireworks time

Someone on this tread stated at 12:00AM, I think that is wrong. I believe you will fine 9:30PM on July 3rd the appropriate hour, and I think the weirs does their shows on Friday night at 10:00 PM./

By boat is tops, but be careful on leaving especially Alton Bay, seems that their are a lot of loose nuts out their.
John A. Birdsall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2007, 04:45 PM   #19
Sunset Bob
Deceased Member

Default Alton Bay and Weirs Fireworks

Quote:
Originally Posted by John A. Birdsall
Someone on this tread stated at 12:00AM, I think that is wrong. I believe you will fine 9:30PM on July 3rd the appropriate hour, and I think the weirs does their shows on Friday night at 10:00 PM./

By boat is tops, but be careful on leaving especially Alton Bay, seems that their are a lot of loose nuts out their.
I think John is both right and wrong Alton Bay fireworks are at 9:30 on the July 3 Weirs fireworks are at (midnight) 12:00 AM on July 4. I always go to Weirs after Alton Bay.Friday night fireworks at the Weirs are at 10:00.
Sunset Bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2007, 06:30 PM   #20
nj2nh

Default Alton Fireworks

I think the Lake Patrol people do a pretty good job of keeping the boats in line (literally) on the night of the fireworks. We did get to see the July 4th spectacular two summers ago. They had the fireworks on the 2nd (a Saturday). We were leaving on the 3rd so we did watch. We took the boat about as far as Peggy's Cove - just south of Echo Point - and watched from there. The fireworks were pretty tiny, but the view was still good.

Going home was easy since most people were further up the bay. I love watching the slow line of boats behind the Lake Patrol boat as it moves out of the bay. Of course, there is always someone who tries to sneak around.

Jersey Girl
Attached Images

Old 04-26-2007, 06:33 PM   #21
nj2nh

Unhappy Ugh. Picture Size

Sorry. One of these days, I will figure out how to make a picture fit the screen. Nothing I do works and I shrank it down pretty small.

Jersey Girl
Old 04-26-2007, 08:26 PM   #22
NHskier

Default Where?

I haven't seen the fireworks at the Weirs before. Where are they shot off from? And what are the better locations to see them from?

thanks,
NHskier
NHskier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2007, 11:49 PM   #23
Mee-n-Mac

Arrow Resize it

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jersey Girl
Sorry. One of these days, I will figure out how to make a picture fit the screen. Nothing I do works and I shrank it down pretty small.

Jersey Girl

Did you "shrink" it via compression or resizing ? It's ~ 1460 x 1000 pixels in size and should probably be something 800 x 550 (about the same ratio). Have a read here.
Old 04-26-2007, 11:56 PM   #24
Mee-n-Mac

Thumbs up Fireworks

Quote:
Originally Posted by NHskier
I haven't seen the fireworks at the Weirs before. Where are they shot off from? And what are the better locations to see them from?

thanks,
NHskier
They're shot off the beach. You get a great view from anywhere off the Weirs. We hang out near Spindle Pt so as to scamper back to our friend's place in Cummings Cove before the traffic gets bad. They're also good from the boulevard (if you don't care to boat).
Old 04-27-2007, 07:06 AM   #25
Phantom

NHSkier -- anywhere in the general vacinity of FL# 1

These Fireworks can be seen (by boat) pretty well all the way down Merideth Bay. As stated above, it's simply a matter of your "comfort" with boating crowds (at nite) as to wether you want to be in the middle/front of the crowd or simply Hold back and watch.

I know first hand (we stay in a cottage adjacent to FL#1) that the MP typically has a very heavy presence at the Wiers Fireworks (each time they go off) which is a good thing -- They are usually "Lit Up" after the show just to let folks know they are there - which tends to slow folks down on departure. A practice not disimilar to that of the Mass State Police & Coast Guard in Boston when they have the fireworks on the Esplenade & in the Bay.

Lastly, If your staying in Paugus -- Good Luck !!! Getting back thru the Channel requires an extra degree of patience -- for obvious reasons.
Old 04-27-2007, 04:01 PM   #26
mets3007

The fireworks at Weirs are nice on Fridays through out the Summer its also fun to watch the boat wars as they jockey for position and then watch as someone always gets a ticket on the way out lol.
mets3007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2007, 09:32 PM   #27
NHskier

Default Good info!

Thanks all for the info on the fireworks. We'll definitely have to catch them!

We'll be watching from the boulevard this year as we're brand new to boating - purchased our first boat last fall. Even though we'd just be coming from Thurston's, I know we need plenty of experience before going out at night time.

NHskier
Old 04-29-2007, 09:27 AM   #28
MJM

We hit the Alton fireworks on the 3rd and Wolfeboro's on the 4th, bit usually by boat. There is just nothing like it, but it can be stressful on the way out. Like others have posted, we take that into account by either waiting for most to leave first, or by not going in so deep, so we can make a quick exit ahead of the crowds.

Maybe the crowds will be less because of the mid-week holiday?
MJM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2007, 09:44 AM   #29
Phantom

NHSkier -- It is always wise to do ONLY what you feel comfortable with with respect to boating -- But if you are only at Thurston's, I would highly recommend that you venture out on the boat for the Wiers fireworks. Go early (remember sunsets are late), relax, and putt along the shoreline of Merideth Bay till sunset. As sunset arrives have yourself positioned on the shore side of FL #1 (usually a place out of the traffic & where our cottage is located- unless you have an extremely deep draft boat - 6+ft, you'll be fine) or simply "hang out" around Spindle Point. The latter can get a little busy with traffic rounding FL#44.

From there, just let the 'hot shot" crowd go (post fireworks) and follow the stream of slower traffic into the Channell -- At least you don't have to take the traffic jam all the way thru to Paugus.

Many times we'll go out from our cottage hang/drift about 50 yards E/SE of FL#1.

Nothing compares to watch Fireworks from the boat.
Old 04-29-2007, 11:48 AM   #30
mcdude

Thanked 1,053 Times in 493 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jersey Girl
We go the minute the kids get out of school in June (well, not the literal minute, but that night or the next morning)
Jersey Girl
Jersey Girl: Your comments made me chuckle. My car will be packed and if I can't beat the school buses out of the parking lot I will be right behind them!
mcdude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2007, 11:59 AM   #31
hazelnut

Smile It's all personal prefference.

Funny I am reading these posts and I can see your points.

However, I for one love the week of the 4th. I love sitting on my dock and watching the endless stream of boats. I love all the crowds and people. I love that most if not all of my neighbors are at their houses. Most of them have a big crowd as do I. I love all the fireworks shot off by my neighbors and the people across the bay. The best shows are the "mini-wars" all of my neighbors have trying to outdo each others fireworks displays. I love the smell of campfires and grille's. To me it just screams summer. The whole week has this different feeling to it. The whole area is buzzing.

Don't get me wrong I also love the fact that it ends and things settle down to normal after that week. But it wouldn't be the same without the week around 4th of July. It gives you the opportunity to appreciate the quieter times.

Just my .02
hazelnut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2007, 05:01 PM   #32
NHKathy

Talking I couldn't agree more!

Quote:
Originally Posted by hazelnut
Funny I am reading these posts and I can see your points.

However, I for one love the week of the 4th. I love sitting on my dock and watching the endless stream of boats. I love all the crowds and people. I love that most if not all of my neighbors are at their houses. Most of them have a big crowd as do I. I love all the fireworks shot off by my neighbors and the people across the bay. The best shows are the "mini-wars" all of my neighbors have trying to outdo each others fireworks displays. I love the smell of campfires and grille's. To me it just screams summer. The whole week has this different feeling to it. The whole area is buzzing.

Don't get me wrong I also love the fact that it ends and things settle down to normal after that week. But it wouldn't be the same without the week around 4th of July. It gives you the opportunity to appreciate the quieter times.

Just my .02
I also agree - it screams SUMMER!
I love it at the Lake around the 4th of July, It HAS to be one of our trips every year!
NHKathy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2007, 01:10 PM   #33
Weirs guy

NHskier, if you are at the Weirs for the fireworks by boat you really don't need to venture too far past the Pier if you stick to the shore along the Weirs. The boats are usually thin in this area and other then dodging our personal fireworks display you'll have a great front row seat close to the channel and shore. I've never been, but I'd bet Spindle points a good choice as well.

Now?
Weirs guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2007, 09:04 PM   #34
NHskier

Default Maybe ...

Phantom & Weirs Guy - thanks for the tips. Maybe we'll consider giving it a try this year after all. It's not like we'd be navigating very far. But we still need more experience first, so maybe late in the summer. (Now there's a depressing thought - late summer.)

One of the earlier notes (from Jersey Girl) referenced Marine Patrol lining boats up. Does this end up being a big rafting session, or do you anchor, or just hold position?

NHskier
Old 05-01-2007, 06:46 AM   #35
Phantom

NHSkier -- I believe she was reffering to some Fireworks over by Echo Point --

I personally have never seen a "line up" (other than trying to get back in the Channell) or Rafting for the Wiers Fireworks. With regard to anchoring - Some do, some don't -- personally - I want to be "Mobile" in case there is cause to move out of someones way. In a 24 footer, I still look "UP" to the cruisers and although everyone is just idling around, ya never can trust the fact that the other guy is watching vs. distracted by the fireworks.

All in all -- it's still a GREAT time !
Old 05-01-2007, 09:11 PM   #36
NHskier

Default Thanks, Phantom

Something to look forward to!

NHskier
Old 05-02-2007, 06:49 AM   #37
Dave R

AFAIK, you can't legally anchor to watch the fireworks because it's after dark.

When we leave Weirs Beach after the fireworks, we make a nice big arc from the western shore, up into Meredith bay a little, and then over to FL44 before we head north east. It avoids all the hassle of getting from FL1 to FL2.
Old 05-02-2007, 08:12 AM   #38
Seaplane Pilot

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave R
AFAIK, you can't legally anchor to watch the fireworks because it's after dark.

When we leave Weirs Beach after the fireworks, we make a nice big arc from the western shore, up into Meredith bay a little, and then over to FL44 before we head north east. It avoids all the hassle of getting from FL1 to FL2.
Sure you can...that's why boats have "Anchor Lights". The rule in NH is that you can't anchor "overnight". This rule seems pretty gray if you ask me - how can they enforce this?
Seaplane Pilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2007, 08:14 AM   #39
Mink Islander

Default Rule against anchoring after dark???

I am not aware of any law preventing you from anchoring after dark. You may not anchor overnight (and yes there are some exclusions for that if you are tied to shore, have the land owners permission, etc.). That's a whole different topic, however. Moreover, the boating laws SPECIFICALLY reference fireworks events as being excluded from the usual rafting rules too.

I go the Meredith fireworks and if you didn't anchor and there was any kind of breeze, the boats would be playing bumper cars with each other. the MPs troll around mostly to make sure folks keep their speeds down and lights on.

The biggest issue with going the fireworks is what happens AFTER the fireworks. If you are new to boating at night, this would not be a suggested first adventure. The mad dash after the fireworks to get home, get to Center Harbor or the Weirs for their shows or whatever turns Meredith Bay into a chaotic mess. I'm sure the Weirs is the same. Best advice is to hang out for 15 minutes after the show's over and then slowly head for home. By then most of the boats will be long gone though the water will still be sloshing around with swells coming from all directions due to the mass exodus ahead of you. Make sure you have a good spotlight in your boat and it never hurts to have a navigator/lookout to help you find your way and spot/avoid other boats. By all means make sure you are very familiar with that part of the lake from daytime experience. A GPS (even a hand held one) is a good reference tool too, but don't think you can "operate on instruments" alone. The lake's a very different place after dark with landmarks/reference points much more difficult to sight. With care, you can do this safely, however.

Just my 2cents.
Mink Islander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2007, 08:51 AM   #40
SIKSUKR

You absolutely CAN anchor at night.You CAN'T anchor OVERNIGHT.
Old 05-02-2007, 10:57 AM   #41
Seaplane Pilot

What's the definition of "overnight"? Is it staying in the same spot for x number of consecutive hours without moving? What if I anchor in Braun Bay at 10:00pm till 1:00am, then pull anchor, move 50 yards away and then anchor from 1:15am till 6:00am?
Seaplane Pilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2007, 11:19 AM   #42
Dave R

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seaplane Pilot
What's the definition of "overnight"? Is it staying in the same spot for x number of consecutive hours without moving? What if I anchor in Braun Bay at 10:00pm till 1:00am, then pull anchor, move 50 yards away and then anchor from 1:15am till 6:00am?
I don't know what the law says, but the boating guidebook says:

"It is against the law to anchor your boat overnight on any inland surface waters of the State of New Hampshire. Overnight is defined as “the period of time between the termination of daylight in the evening to the earliest dawn of the next morning.”"

Seems to me that you can't move at 1 AM and be legal, if the guide book is accurate.
Old 05-02-2007, 01:35 PM   #43
SIKSUKR

DaveR,I'm not sure where you get out of that law that you can't move.The lake is never closed to traffic at any time of the night.Skip touched on the tricky wording of this law in another thread.
Old 05-03-2007, 07:29 AM   #44
Mee-n-Mac

Cool deja vu ... again

Quote:
Originally Posted by SIKSUKR
DaveR,I'm not sure where you get out of that law that you can't move.The lake is never closed to traffic at any time of the night.Skip touched on the tricky wording of this law in another thread.
That other thread/post is here (scroll down 3 or so posts). As I read the RSA you can't legally anchor for a fireworks display if you're a "houseboat". The important part being the "or any part of an overnight period except as permitted in RSA 270-A:2 or in cases of emergency". I've yet to see any cited for it though.

BTW: We've covered this before (in this thread) as well.
Old 05-03-2007, 09:28 AM   #45
vrrooom

Exclamation July 1 Weekend

Just a reminder to those of you planning on vacationing at the lake July 4 th week, that the Nextel Cup Races at NHIS are the weekend before July 4, and rooms, resturants et al may be problematical. But there will be lots of sparks at the speedway from the cars bumping and scraping . It is a great show.
vrrooom is offline   Reply With Quote