Go Back   Winnipesaukee Forum > Winnipesaukee Forums > General Discussion
Home Forums Gallery Webcams Blogs YouTube Channel Classifieds Calendar Register FAQDonate Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-11-2016, 07:36 PM   #1
TheTimeTraveler

Default Rumble Strips on Route 28

Late last year the New Hampshire Highway Department ground rumble strips on various two lane roadways around the state; both in the center in the roadway (where the yellow lines are) as well as the sides of the road (where the white fog lines are).

Today, I noticed that they have begun the process to remove all of these rumble strips.

I actually thought that the rumble strips would be good in alerting drivers if they began to doze off and started to wander out of the travel lane.

Does anyone know why the state reversed itself and now beginning to remove these rumble strips?

TheTimeTraveler is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2016, 07:54 PM   #2
Shiny Grumman

Probably going to repave those areas.
Shiny Grumman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2016, 08:47 PM   #3
JADAQ

People at a specific campground in East Alton complained about the noise to the state as well as other residents in Alton.

I see they started on 28 south of Alton circle last week filling them in. What a waste of tax payer dollars!
JADAQ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2016, 08:54 PM   #4
Acrossamerica

The white stipe rumble notches on Route 28 from the Alton Circle north were right on the white line. Usually they are about two to three feet to the outside of the line and they were very deep. At night in rainy conditions trying to remain inside the yellow rumble strips and the white line rumble strips was like trying to walk a tight rope. Also being so deep they were dangerous when wet and for motorcycles under any conditions. And they made so much noise that people a half mile away from the road complained.

Another example of what looks good on paper is not always good when put into action. Typical engineer mistake. All design engineers should be made to use their products for a year before putting them onto the market. Would result in a lot less bitching.
Acrossamerica is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Acrossamerica For This Useful Post:
steve c (09-12-2016)
Old 09-12-2016, 09:55 AM   #5
Long Pine

It looks like they are perhaps just removing the rumble strips on the side of the highway and keeping the ones down the center line although perhaps they are just starting on the side and may remove the center ones later. I am thrilled to see them go. It is definitely true they can be heard distinctly at least a half mile away, perhaps more in the winter when there are no leaves on trees. Just removing the side rumble strips may be a good compromise between safety and nuisance noise. The side rumble strips are probably the ones hit most often as people hit them every time they move over into the breakdown lane to slow down to turn right off the highway, or to pass people on the right who are turning left. I wish there had been more thought and dialogue about the strips before they were installed.
Long Pine is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 09-12-2016, 10:09 AM   #6
8gv

Quote:
Originally Posted by Acrossamerica View Post
Another example of what looks good on paper is not always good when put into action. Typical engineer mistake. All design engineers should be made to use their products for a year before putting them onto the market. Would result in a lot less bitching.
This reminds me of how the simple lawnmower gas can becomes a charley foxtrot. Let's eliminate evaporative emissions by designing something that spills gas all over which subsequently...evaporates!
8gv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2016, 12:11 PM   #7
Hezman

Default DOT actions and response

On June 13, 2016 I had sent an email to the NH DOT expressing my concern with the placement of recently installed edge-line rumble strips on Route 28 north of the Alton circle. I was surprised that the rationale for locating rumble strips over the white edge-line was concern for the safety of pedestrians and bicyclists. This would give them a slight margin if a driver veered to the right of the travel line. While true, many drivers hug the white line, especially on curves to provide a margin of safety from oncoming vehicles. This is especially true in these days of distracted drivers. I was not alone and there were a number of complaints. Accordingly, the DOT advised they are taking the following four actions:

1. The centerline rumble strips south of the Alton traffic circle to
Hamwoods Road, where the majority of the width does not meet Department guidelines, will be removed – milled and paved in.
2. The edge line rumble stripes on the white line north of the circle will likewise be removed – milled and paved in. Future consideration to reinstalling rumble strips, further offset from the whiteline, will be made in conjunction with entire NH 28 corridor.
3. The centerline rumble strips north of traffic circle will remain. This is consistent with the rest of the NH 28 corridor of similar width and character.
4. We recognize the concern about passing zones and will consider eliminating/striping out passing zones in areas of particular receptors and with consensus from the community.
Hezman is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Hezman For This Useful Post:
Long Pine (09-12-2016), Pontoon Goon (09-13-2016), TheTimeTraveler (09-12-2016), upthesaukee (09-12-2016), Whimsey (09-14-2016)