Go Back   Winnipesaukee Forum > Winnipesaukee Forums > Restaurant Information & Reviews
Home Forums Gallery Webcams Blogs YouTube Channel Classifieds Calendar Register FAQDonate Members List Today's Posts

Old 03-07-2011, 01:49 PM   #1
Bric'sBoat

Default Bric's Burgers and Dogs Boat Service

Wish there was a boat on the lake that served hamburgers, hot dogs, drinks, ice cream, etc.? Starting this summer, Bric's Boat will be providing food for those leisure days on the lake at locations like Braun Bay, Meredith Bay, the Weirs, Small's Cove, and others. Myself, Brendan Greenwald, and business partner, Eric Moriarty, are both sophomores at the University of Vermont and St. Anselm College, both studying in the Business Programs. We spend summers on the lake, and feel that this is a great way to provide a much needed service for those on the lake as well as put our business knowledge to good use.

We have created an online survey to get the information needed to begin this business successfully, and would greatly appreciate it if those who are residents of the lake or own a boat would take the survey below, will only take a few minutes. Free ice cream on first visit if you complete it!

http://www.surveymonkey.com/s/NVXYVWY

You can also find our business page on facebook at Bric's Burgers and Dogs Boat Service. During the summer, follow us on twitter for hourly updates and current locations @bricsboat . Our e-mail is bricsboat@gmail.com, feel free to contact us with suggestions, questions, or comment!

Please let us know what you think of this idea, any suggestions to the business, or general comments, because we are really excited to be able to do this if we receive the positive feedback we are hoping for. Thanks for the help, and we look forward to seeing you on the lake this summer!
Bric'sBoat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2011, 02:03 PM   #2
CateP

Good luck with this business adventure. Where I currently live, there is a business called Firehouse Grill that serves up burgers, dogs, chicken and soda on the bay (ocean). It is run by off-duty fire fighters and they do a booming business in the summer. They decorated a pontoon boat with bright red signage (professionally done) and had a phone number so people could order from their boats and have it delivered. For this service boaters paid a premium. I think hamburgers were $8-$10.
CateP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2011, 02:18 PM   #3
TiltonBB

Thanked 2,153 Times in 900 Posts
Default A few questions

Just some things you might want to think about if you haven't already:

What have you done about licensing with the state and the individual towns where you plan to do business?

Are you going to incorporate or will you be personally liable for any claims? (boat damage when docking, food poisoning etc.)

Are you going to let your boat insurance company know that you will be using the boat for commercial purposes? That may change your insurance premium.

I assume that you will be prepared to collect and pay the state meals tax.

There are usually Board of Health requirements for anyone in the food service industry regarding inspections and codes. Have you checked into meeting them?

Are there any restrictions regarding this type of operation from the Marine Patrol?
TiltonBB is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to TiltonBB For This Useful Post:
Bric'sBoat (03-07-2011)
Old 03-07-2011, 03:53 PM   #4
Pricestavern

Default Pizza!

Sounds like a great plan to me!

One thing we've always wanted but found lacking was pizza delivery! Now maybe it's just the New Yorker in me, but I can't even begin to count all the times we've sat around wishing that we could order a pizza out on the lake. Not sure how you'd pull off the logistics, but I'd shell out $20 for a pie on the lake for sure.
Pricestavern is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2011, 04:03 PM   #5
ishoot308

Thanked 4,938 Times in 1,914 Posts
Default Town Dock Delivery

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pricestavern View Post
Sounds like a great plan to me!

One thing we've always wanted but found lacking was pizza delivery! Now maybe it's just the New Yorker in me, but I can't even begin to count all the times we've sat around wishing that we could order a pizza out on the lake. Not sure how you'd pull off the logistics, but I'd shell out $20 for a pie on the lake for sure.
We have had pizza delivered many times to the Gilford town docks and we picked it up by boat. I would think any pizza delivery place would bring it to any public dock.

Dan
ishoot308 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 03-07-2011, 04:10 PM   #6
ishoot308

Thanked 4,938 Times in 1,914 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bric'sBoat View Post
Wish there was a boat on the lake that served hamburgers, hot dogs, drinks, ice cream, etc.? Starting this summer, Bric's Boat will be providing food for those leisure days on the lake at locations like Braun Bay, Meredith Bay, the Weirs, Small's Cove, and others. Myself, Brendan Greenwald, and business partner, Eric Moriarty, are both sophomores at the University of Vermont and St. Anselm College, both studying in the Business Programs. We spend summers on the lake, and feel that this is a great way to provide a much needed service for those on the lake as well as put our business knowledge to good use.

We have created an online survey to get the information needed to begin this business successfully, and would greatly appreciate it if those who are residents of the lake or own a boat would take the survey below, will only take a few minutes. Free ice cream on first visit if you complete it!

http://www.surveymonkey.com/s/NVXYVWY

You can also find our business page on facebook at Bric's Burgers and Dogs Boat Service. During the summer, follow us on twitter for hourly updates and current locations @bricsboat . Our e-mail is bricsboat@gmail.com, feel free to contact us with suggestions, questions, or comment!

Please let us know what you think of this idea, any suggestions to the business, or general comments, because we are really excited to be able to do this if we receive the positive feedback we are hoping for. Thanks for the help, and we look forward to seeing you on the lake this summer!
Hi Bric;

I love the idea and commend you for your visionary plan and wish you well! I do however think your biggest roadblock/s will be exactly what TiltonBB has stated especially the board of health thing. I have seen many outdoor barbeque type places shut down simply because it violates some sort of board of health rule. Outdoors with food is a big no no to them. When your serving the public, all the rules of the game change.

Maybe you have all of this sorted out and if so, you will do well I am sure!

Good luck and keep up the positive attitude!!

Dan
ishoot308 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2011, 04:20 PM   #7
brk-lnt

Great idea. I had recently thought about buying a couple of pontoon boats and hiring college kids to run a business like this. I think you can be very successful at this sort of thing.

Also, plan to sell sunscreen, floaties, diapers, towels, and similar consumables and easily-forgotten items as well. The foodservice aspect of it will probably only be about 1/2-3/4 of your total business.
Bric'sBoat (03-08-2011)
Old 03-07-2011, 08:27 PM   #8
Pineedles

Quote:
Originally Posted by brk-lnt View Post
Great idea. I had recently thought about buying a couple of pontoon boats and hiring college kids to run a business like this. I think you can be very successful at this sort of thing.

Also, plan to sell sunscreen, floaties, diapers, towels, and similar consumables and easily-forgotten items as well. The foodservice aspect of it will probably only be about 1/2-3/4 of your total business.
Sounds like you have given up on your plan brk-Int? Nice of you to give this information.
Pineedles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2011, 09:50 PM   #9
brk-lnt

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pineedles View Post
Sounds like you have given up on your plan brk-Int? Nice of you to give this information.
No, I haven't given up, but why keep a good idea to yourself? Ideas are easy, execution is what's hard. I'd rather help another person, especially a young entrepreneur, with some suggestions and things I've considered. I do know that based on other things I have going on, this isn't something I'm going to do this summer, so there is no 'competition' here.
Winnigirl (03-08-2011)
Old 03-07-2011, 10:07 PM   #10
jrc

As I mentioned in a previous post, maybe stick to the 7-11 format.

Cooking food has all kinds of issues like TiltonBB points out, they are not insurmountable but may be tough for seasonal, weekend business to absorb.

But a store on floats has much less issues. You can likely sell packaged food, soda, chips, ice cream, maybe even packages of hot dogs and hamburgers without a lot of government intervention. Plus if you pick your wares right you could do mid-week business to the islands. I bet there are times that islanders would pay a few extra bucks to save a trip. Maybe carry charcoal, paper products, and other camp essentials.

Obviously stay away from booze and tobacco, huge licensing and liability issues.

You may still need a vendors license, but I don't know who from. Is the water itself in any town?
jrc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2011, 01:23 AM   #11
baygo

Quote:
Originally Posted by jrc View Post
As I mentioned in a previous post, maybe stick to the 7-11 format.

Cooking food has all kinds of issues like TiltonBB points out, they are not insurmountable but may be tough for seasonal, weekend business to absorb.

But a store on floats has much less issues. You can likely sell packaged food, soda, chips, ice cream, maybe even packages of hot dogs and hamburgers without a lot of government intervention. Plus if you pick your wares right you could do mid-week business to the islands. I bet there are times that islanders would pay a few extra bucks to save a trip. Maybe carry charcoal, paper products, and other camp essentials.

Obviously stay away from booze and tobacco, huge licensing and liability issues.

You may still need a vendors license, but I don't know who from. Is the water itself in any town?
I heard that Meredith could not impose a venders license on those who set up for the Pond Hockey because the vender was on the ice/water. Town does not govern it. The state on the other hand is another issue. Prepared Food means you'll need to collect meal tax, 3 bay sink, use commercial refrigeration, and provide a facility for someone to relieve oneself. The waist water is the real concern. What will you collect it in and how will you dispose of it. Don't expect them to trust you to transport it to the town sewer plant yourself.
baygo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2011, 07:33 AM   #12
tis

Thanked 1,379 Times in 955 Posts

Not that we don't want to protect our lake, but this is exactly why no one wants to start a business today. Here are two kids (apparently) who have ambition and and spirit and there are so many rules and regulations they will get discouraged before they start. I hope they can get through all the red tape.
tis is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to tis For This Useful Post:
Shreddy (03-08-2011)
Old 03-08-2011, 09:02 AM   #13
Little Bear

Thumbs up This is shades of "Shades of Maui"

I happen to know the guy that started the Shades of Maui boats back in the mid-80's and worked on the boat in Braun Bay many times. I still have the newspaper where the Union Leader voted this New Hampshire's Best New Business in 1987. I recall they they exhausted a lot of effort to make sure they had every possible license necessary. I remember a story where out of nowhere they got pulled over by a Fish & Game boat that was sent out to check on them because they got reported for selling lobster rolls. Fish & Game apparently thought they had bagged the elephant because a license is required to sell lobster meat of any kind. The F&G people asked if they were selling lobster and the answer was yes. Well then the interrogation and lectures started, but then the Maui produced the appropriate license to sell lobster meat which, at the time, cost about $10.00. The F&G guys kind of laughed and said that they had specifically launched their boat and had come looking for Maui just because of the reported sale of lobster meat. A fool's errand in the end, but the 2 F&G guys actually ended up buying lunch from the Maui.

I'm sure the regulations and government red tape have increased dramatically in the last 25 years, but where there's a will there's a way. Good luck to Bric's Boat - give 'em hell.
Attached Images

Little Bear is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Little Bear For This Useful Post:
Bric'sBoat (03-08-2011), RailroadJoe (03-08-2011)
Old 03-08-2011, 09:48 AM   #14
hancoveguy

Wow! What a pile of bureacratic, red tape, BS...Good luck to these kids, if they make it they will have truly earned it.

I pledge to buy a minimum of $40 worth of whatever the first time we see them at Braun Bay...and probably every time after that too,lol.

Maybe it will keep my 3 bratty kids busy for 5 minutes...

HCG
hancoveguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2011, 09:52 AM   #15
Lakesrider

Thanked 1,016 Times in 345 Posts

Speaking of Maui...You ought to sell shaved ice. I bet you'd make all your money selling just shaved ice. Not too many people around selling it and when I was in Hawaii there were shaved ice huts everywhere and the stuff was great. Anyone can get ice cream at multiple places around the lake. But where do you get shaved ice? Huh? Huh?

Put on a Hawaiian shirt and your good to go.

http://www.opentip.com/Home-Garden/G...p-2113384.html
Lakesrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2011, 10:20 AM   #16
4Fun

Quote:
Originally Posted by baygo View Post
I heard that Meredith could not impose a venders license on those who set up for the Pond Hockey because the vender was on the ice/water. Town does not govern it. The state on the other hand is another issue. Prepared Food means you'll need to collect meal tax, 3 bay sink, use commercial refrigeration, and provide a facility for someone to relieve oneself. The waist water is the real concern. What will you collect it in and how will you dispose of it. Don't expect them to trust you to transport it to the town sewer plant yourself.

Maybe you can look in to a hot dog cart type license. I know the guy that set up at the various Home Depots does not have a sink and just uses coolers. He serves dogs, sausage, etc. I ALWAYS see a HUGE roll of cash in his pocket when he gives me change.

Come to think about it the local roach coach does not have any facilities either.

You might be able to partner with a local canteen guy to ride on his license as a branch. It might cost you a few $$ but it would be easier..
4Fun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2011, 11:05 AM   #17
SIKSUKR

Quote:
Originally Posted by Little Bear View Post
I happen to know the guy that started the Shades of Maui boats back in the mid-80's.
Ah yes and he lives on the island that bears your user name.
Old 03-08-2011, 11:10 AM   #18
Mr. V

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bric'sBoat View Post
Wish there was a boat on the lake that served hamburgers, hot dogs, drinks, ice cream, etc.?
There's already a guy selling ice cream: he was at Braun Bay this past summer.
Mr. V is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2011, 01:26 PM   #19
RailroadJoe

Now if only the government could keep their noses out oif the small business owners trying to make a living in this "depression". But, no, you need a license to literally breath.
Hope the F&G boat sinks, anyway. They are starting to abuse their power also.
RailroadJoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2011, 11:52 AM   #20
Bric'sBoat

Default Bric's Burgers and Dogs Boat Service

We have done it! Ladies and gentlemen, there is now a boat servicing the northern part of Lake Winnipesaukee cooking and selling hamburgers, hot dogs, chips, soda, ice cream, and miscellaneous items. We are hoping to start tomorrow the 26th of June, but obviously it is all weather permitting. Our normal working hours will be Friday-Monday from about 11-4 in places such as Braun Bay, Weirs, Meredith Bay, and Long Island. Our boat is easily distinguishable with lime green stripes and large signs on the side, along with walk up boatside tables for sandbars. We are a fully equipped boat which passed State Health Inspection and are ready to serve anyone by boat. We accept credit cards. Feel free to call with any questions at 603-345-4135 or 603-707-7164, or check out our facebook page at "Bric's Burgers and Dogs Boat Service" or follow us on twitter for hourly updates @bricsboat . We look forward to seeing everyone out on the lake this summer!

Brendan Greenwald & Eric Moriarty
Bric's Burgers and Dogs Boat Service
Attached Images

Bric'sBoat is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Bric'sBoat For This Useful Post:
eillac@dow (06-25-2011), jkjoshuatree (06-25-2011), NHBUOY (06-25-2011)
Old 06-25-2011, 12:05 PM   #21
NHBUOY

Thumbs up

...CONGRATULATIONS & Good Luck...hope you guys make some loot and have a blast at the same time...We'll look for ya......
NHBUOY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2011, 04:56 PM   #22
NBR

Default Good Luck

I hope your plans work out and that the various federal, state, county and local restrictions don't drive you out of business.
NBR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2011, 07:01 PM   #23
eillac@dow

Default Good Luck Bric's Boat!

Brendan & Eric....

Good luck to you both! I am happy for you and hope you have a great summer. BTW I am right across from Long Island Bridge...so perhaps I will be seeing you soon.

Enjoy the summer.
eillac@dow is offline   Reply With Quote