Go Back   Winnipesaukee Forum > Winnipesaukee Forums > Restaurant Information & Reviews
Home Forums Gallery Webcams Blogs YouTube Channel Classifieds Calendar Register FAQDonate Members List Today's Posts

Old 05-05-2011, 09:33 AM   #1
NHBoat70

Thumbs up El Jimador Mexican Restaurant in Belmont

I went there for the first time on Wednesday this week and it was absolutely amazing. This is probably the most authentic Mexican food you will get in the area! (The next closet might be Concord or Manchester).

They have an enormous menu with appetizer, nachos, quesadillas, various meats, salads soups, vegetarian dishes, seafood, fajitas, food for children, desserts and a HUGE lunch menu.

The prices are very reasonable and I honestly didn't eat dinner because I was so full from lunch. There serve lunch specials Monday through Friday 11am to 2:30pm and Saturday 11am to 2pm, price range for lunch is between $6 and $8.50 (with $2 soft drink and they give you free chips and salsa).
NHBoat70 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to NHBoat70 For This Useful Post:
Rattlesnake Gal (05-05-2011)
Old 05-05-2011, 12:25 PM   #2
HOOVER

Default El jimador

I think this place is great too. First real Mexican restaurant in the lakes region. But they need a better sign. It is very hard to read when going by. You would not know a restaurant is up on the hill.
HOOVER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2011, 04:46 PM   #3
JPC

Default Where?

Where in Belmont is this restaurant?
JPC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2011, 05:33 PM   #4
jetskier

Post 171 Daniel Webster Highway

They are in the space that used to be occupied by the Vineyards restaurant at 171 Daniel Webster Highway.

Jetskier
jetskier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2011, 12:22 AM   #5
BroadHopper

Thanked 1,094 Times in 788 Posts
Default Thumbs up!

I stop by monday night and I think the food is excellent! Dinner menu is a bit pricey for Mexican, but the portion is good. Not too large.

Nearest mexican cuisine I can think of is Hermanos in Concord, then Tortilla Flats in Merrimack. Crazy Gringo, Shorty's and Tio Juan's food is too Americanized.
Old 05-06-2011, 06:53 AM   #6
Overlake97

Default Can't leave out....

Quote:
Originally Posted by BroadHopper View Post
Nearest mexican cuisine I can think of is Hermanos in Concord, then Tortilla Flats in Merrimack. Crazy Gringo, Shorty's and Tio Juan's food is too Americanized.
And La Carreta in Manchester (and elsewhere in NH), which is much better than all of the above, and on par with our own new El Jimador!
Overlake97 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2011, 07:11 AM   #7
Rattlesnake Gal

Thanked 1,349 Times in 475 Posts
Talking Mexican Food

Quote:
Originally Posted by Overlake97 View Post
And La Carreta in Manchester (and elsewhere in NH), which is much better than all of the above, and on par with our own new El Jimador!
La Carretta is on the way to the lake for many too! Can be very long lines though. I can only vouch for the Nashua and Manchester locations.

La Carreta Mexican Restaurant
139 Daniel Webster Highway # 3
Nashua, NH 03060-5249
(603) 891-0055 ‎

La Carreta
545 Hooksett Road
Manchester, NH
(603) 628-6899

La Carreta
35 Manchester Road # 5A
Derry, NH
(603) 421-0091
Rattlesnake Gal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2011, 01:16 PM   #8
ishoot308

Thanked 5,105 Times in 1,984 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rattlesnake Gal View Post
La Carretta is on the way to the lake for many too! Can be very long lines though. I can only vouch for the Nashua and Manchester locations.

La Carreta Mexican Restaurant
139 Daniel Webster Highway # 3
Nashua, NH 03060-5249
(603) 891-0055 ‎

La Carreta
545 Hooksett Road
Manchester, NH
(603) 628-6899

La Carreta
35 Manchester Road # 5A
Derry, NH
(603) 421-0091

There is also a new La Carreta location in Manchester on South Willow St. It's where Pizzeria Uno used to be right next to Bob's Furniture. GREAT Mexican food!!

Dan
ishoot308 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2011, 07:55 PM   #9
Great Northern Cleaning

Default Yum yum !!

Well let me tell ya.....we had dinner tonite at El Jimador....I ordered the "Burrito Grande"....my first thought when it came to the table was...well, I'll be taking spme of this home, as the burrito was very large...but from the very first bite...I couldn't stop myself....friggan hands down the best burrito I have ever had....finished it all up. I will definately be back again and again

Frank

www.greatnortherncleaning.com
Great Northern Cleaning is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Great Northern Cleaning For This Useful Post:
pwdcrownies (06-05-2011), Rattlesnake Guy (05-12-2011)
Old 05-13-2011, 05:50 AM   #10
Winnigirl83

Do they have their liquor license yet?
Winnigirl83 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2011, 08:26 AM   #11
FormulaBRW

Talking

Hi All,

I am new to the forum but thought I would add a little insight to the southern part of the state and La Carreta's restaurants.

The new location of La Carretas on South Willow St in Manchester has the same great food as the first loaction in North Manchester with littel to no waiting at new location. The service is a little off ( getting better with each visit) but still better then Derry. They have one of the best lunch menus and size and price just cant be beat.

My family and I eat there at least once a week. No I am not affiliated in any way I just enjoy good Mexican.

We are up to the lake this weekend and plan to try the lunch at El Jimador. After reading all the positive responses I am sure it will be great.
FormulaBRW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2011, 04:20 PM   #12
Whimsey

Thumbs up They do have their liquor license now

Went to El Jimador last night around 7:30 pm. A short wait, but not bad. Bigger inside than I expected. Food is excellent and we will definitely be back.

Need to work out some service issues though. The authentic Mexican waitress seemed stressed and had some issues, which I will chalk up to a language barrier/inexperience/a full house. She asked if we wanted drinks, we said we'd like some wine and asked if there was a wine list. She said yes... but did we want a drink first? We did get the wine list but it really was a margarita/liquor menu. Turns out wine is only by the glass. I ordered a Shiraz, and the waitress pleasantly asked if I wanted that on the rocks. I smiled and replied that straight up would be fine.

The entrees arrived promptly. In fact before our appetizers. We said never mind about the appetizer now...and that she did. Although it was on the check. Fortunately a neighboring waitress named Emma sensed that there were some issues, came to our rescue several time during dinner.

Now this could have been one of those cringe-inducing experiences, but the chips/salsa and entrees were excellent (as was the straight up Shiraz). We laughed it off and agreed we would come back...but maybe ask for one of Emma's tables.

I think this place will be a keeper.
Whimsey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2011, 05:33 PM   #13
Rattlesnake Guy

RG and I stopped in for lunch today. I am certain that it was 100% because of the favorable statements here on the forum. Nice place that struck me as a lot bigger than I expected. If they had only used an inch or two of all that space on the distance from the table to the booth seat. Without a doubt, I am a big guy, but I got this way by sitting in 100s and 100s of booths. This may have been the tightest so far.

OK, now for the good news. The chips and salsa came quick. The waiter was table side in a minute or two. We ordered our boring bottled drinks and checked out the menu which is pretty extensive. I ordered a pair of ground beef burritos with beans and rice. RG ordered a shredded beef chimi and explained here food allergies. A minute later, the waiter came back and informed RG of the presence of an ingredient in the shredded beef that she has a problem with. (Hurray) He suggested a change to steak instead of shredded. Great!

Food came in a few minutes and RG and I were very pleased with our meals. Portions were not huge but the flavor was very good.

Our son's GF is a vegetarian and we were pleased to see a lot of vegetarian options on the menu as well.

More good news. 24 bucks for a very nice lunch in a very nice restaurant. RG grabbed a menu and I feel confident she will be posting it soon.

Next time we will sit on the bar side chairs so I can avoid the "regular people" sized booths. Looking forward to it already.
Rattlesnake Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2011, 09:31 PM   #14
LongBay

Default No next time

We dined there the other day and will not go back again. The Burrito Grande was big all right and filled rice, rice and more rice. The chicken was tough and tasteless. The cows must be on strike because there was no cheese.

Let's move onto drinks, the margarita was not so grande. If you want a good Margarita you won't find it here.

Service, our waitress was not very good on serving a requested glass of water. However, she sure knew how to ask if we wanted another round of drinks.

Atmosphere, what do you get when you take an old Italian restaurant and turn it into a Mexican restaurant? A Mexican restaurant the looks like an old Italian restaurant.

If you like loud Mexican music playing in the background, this is the place for your you. If you want a good Burrito, head down the street to Burrito Me in downtown Laconia. Great Margaritas can be found at T-bones/Cactus Jack's.
LongBay is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to LongBay For This Useful Post:
HAMPTONS (05-16-2011)
Old 05-21-2011, 02:21 PM   #15
jeffatsquam

Went last night it was very good the place seems very well run, able to handle a crowd. I didn't miss the lack of chesse and I don't drink Margaritas.Two of us ate for under thirty bucks and took some home. Felt bad for the waitress 20% of thirty isn't much so I made it 30%.

We will be heading back TONIGHT
jeffatsquam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2011, 05:16 PM   #16
pwdcrownies

Default Winning!!!

We tried it out this weekend and it was great. The Chile Rellenos are the best we have ever had! Almost as good as their Margaritas. Great service and clean! Once this place catches on, good luck getting in there.

Now if they can only move closer to the water
pwdcrownies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2011, 12:34 PM   #17
phoenix

i went there last night and agree it is great. Far better to me than the new restaurant in Moultonboro. I had the chimi and it was more flavorable and had some sauce on it so it wasn't dry. Salsa was very good drinks were great and prices very reasonable. it was worth the ride for me to get my mexican fix before i return to phoenix in September
Old 09-02-2011, 05:58 PM   #18
Mickomally

Default 2 thumbs up

I agree with most of the posts here. The food was excellent, and the prices reasonable (I spent less here than I would have at any chain like Chili's or Applebees and got better food).
I had the Grande Special...so much food it filled 2 plates! Was a nice sampling of what they have, and everything was excellent.
I will return and recommend it!
Mickomally is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2011, 02:41 AM   #19
ChocolateGypsy

Is their menu posted online anywhere? Do they have anything other than nachos and burritos?

thanks!

Just droppin' in for a bite.
ChocolateGypsy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2011, 06:56 AM   #20
nicole

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChocolateGypsy View Post
Is their menu posted online anywhere? Do they have anything other than nachos and burritos?

thanks!
They have a huge menu-so much more than nachos and burritos. I had a hard time deciding. The food was very good. Do you do Facebook? I think they have a menu on their Facebook page.
nicole is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to nicole For This Useful Post:
ChocolateGypsy (09-17-2011)
Old 09-18-2011, 10:48 AM   #21
BroadHopper

Thanked 1,094 Times in 788 Posts
Default To each his own.

Quote:
Originally Posted by LongBay View Post
If you want a good Burrito, head down the street to Burrito Me in downtown Laconia. Great Margaritas can be found at T-bones/Cactus Jack's.
I experience El Jimidor twice and had a pleasant experience both times.

If you really want excellent burritos try going to Mexico to one of the small villages. Real mexican food are bland in comparison to what we get here.

If I want good burritos in NH, I would go to Hermanos in Concord.

They really is no margaritas in Mexico. Go to a small village and ask.

My favorite margarita, of course is my very own. If I want to go out I would go to Tortilla Flats in Merrimack, NH.
Old 09-18-2011, 12:49 PM   #22
GusMan

Default Margaritas

While I agree that the best margaritas are definitely made at home, I have to put a plug in for the Crazy Gringo.

Their Hornitos margarita is quite good... without all the cloying sweetness of a drink loaded with commercial margarita sour mix.

I also seem to remember a good on at the (RIP) Bad Moose Cafe.

Hmmm... maybe there's a trend here....

Dive Bar (in a good way) = good margaritas??

Cheers...

Gusman
GusMan is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to GusMan For This Useful Post:
Nagigator (09-18-2011)
Old 09-18-2011, 02:36 PM   #23
Nagigator

Default I agree, GusMan........

The horny margaritas at Gringos are very good...........sad that I did not get there this year tho........
Nagigator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2011, 12:20 PM   #24
livenh

Default VERY good

I have eaten here a time or two now and found it very good. The portions were reasonable; prices might have been a TAD higher but the food is better so it evens out. The white sangria was the best I have ever had!!
livenh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2011, 01:33 PM   #25
sa meredith

Default Gringos

Put me down for Crazy Gringos...food always good, reasonable...service very good...and really, I just enjoy going there.
The Margs?? best in the Lakes Region, I think. Served in a mason jar, with a very generous pour everytime. If you are planning on more than 1 or 2, don't plan on driving (car or boat).
Although it seems to be a biker bar, the people there (customers and employees) are all very friendly.
It's become an October tradition of mine and a friend's, to go there and watch weekday afternoon baseball playoff games...the early round diviison series. Always fun...
One of the better year round places.
sa meredith is offline   Reply With Quote