Go Back   Winnipesaukee Forum > Winnipesaukee Forums > History
Home Forums Gallery Webcams Blogs YouTube Channel Classifieds Calendar Register FAQDonate Members List Today's Posts

Old 06-17-2009, 10:40 AM   #1
fmgate

Default Seeking Historic Images of Abenaki Tower

Can anyone direct me to historic photos of Abenaki Tower, particularly from the time of its construction (1929?) to about 1940? Thanks. I did a quick web search and didn't come up with much.
fmgate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2009, 03:48 PM   #2
Rattlesnake Gal

Thanked 1,349 Times in 475 Posts
Smile Abenaki Tower History

I think Grant might have something for you. He was working on a website a couple years ago.

According to NH Fire Towers it was privately built in 1929 and then rebuilt 1979.

Built by the Abenaki Tower Association, of Melvin Village, associated with the Wawbeek Hotel and cottages, is was used during World War II for aircraft spotting, and occasionally for fire detection.

Good luck!

RG
Rattlesnake Gal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2009, 06:09 PM   #3
Wawbeek

Default Abenaki Tower History

Check with Norm Farwell. Lives now in Wolfeboro at the Commons. Had his e-mail address but can not find it now. Sorry. He was President of the Tower Association for years. I gave him a picture of the original tower years ago. He was then compiling a history of the Tower.
Wawbeek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2009, 08:18 AM   #4
Grant

The new tower was dedicated in July 1978, I remember the day well. I have some old shots of the original Tower, and have seen shots of Chet Fernald razing the old one before constructing the new one. I also have an old brochure that Chet compiled and printed in the mid-'70s with a history of the original, including its builder, the cost, and how the land was acquired. I'll dig them up and scan them.
Old 12-20-2010, 08:39 PM   #5
Senter Cove Guy

Default Climbed It 12/19/2010

I've climbed it twice in the past 6 months after probably going 10 years without climbing it. Wanted to see the ice cover in Melvin Bay so I climbed it yesterday. Ice everywhere but probably thin.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grant View Post
The new tower was dedicated in July 1978, I remember the day well. I have some old shots of the original Tower, and have seen shots of Chet Fernald razing the old one before constructing the new one. I also have an old brochure that Chet compiled and printed in the mid-'70s with a history of the original, including its builder, the cost, and how the land was acquired. I'll dig them up and scan them.
Grant, do you still have the historical documents you spoke of awhile ago and can you scan/post them?
Aldidonato (04-10-2014), Rattlesnake Gal (12-22-2010)
Sponsored Links
Old 12-22-2010, 05:33 AM   #6
ApS

Red face Attachment "Shows"—Just Can't Preview It Right Now!

Quote:
Grant, do you still have the historical documents you spoke of awhile ago and can you scan/post them?
My dad, who grew up in Melvin Village—and was a "dead-ringer" for Wawbeek's Chet Fernald—would probably like to see those documents also.

(Me, too).

I couldn't find a location that would reduce the attached (and oversized) 200.7 KB .jpg photo; however, I appear to have successfully attached this "historical" photograph looking out from the tower about 1955:

UPDATE:

The "successfully-attached" photo never appeared, so a friend has reduced it for me:
Attached Images

Last edited by ApS; 12-28-2010 at 02:47 PM.
ApS is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to ApS For This Useful Post:
Aldidonato (04-10-2014)