Go Back   Winnipesaukee Forum > Blogs > Roy Sanborn
Home Forums Gallery Webcams Blogs YouTube Channel Classifieds Calendar Register FAQDonate Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

» Site Navigation
» Quiz
» Articles - Information
» Recent Forum Threads
Ice-Out Declared!
03-17-2024 05:14 PM
Last post by tis
Today 04:25 AM
11 Replies, 1,790 Views
A New Chinese restaurant...
02-28-2024 02:41 PM
Last post by bushwack1
Yesterday 03:06 PM
30 Replies, 5,423 Views
How safe is downtown ...
03-12-2024 05:41 AM
Last post by John Mercier
Yesterday 02:30 PM
70 Replies, 7,441 Views
Town Budgets Mild Winter
Yesterday 02:32 AM
by Chubby
Last post by John Mercier
Yesterday 09:03 AM
1 Replies, 893 Views
ENSO Japanese Steak House
03-15-2024 12:34 PM
Last post by webmaster
Yesterday 08:00 AM
6 Replies, 1,730 Views
» Made in USA
Rate this Entry

Pick a Porch- The Lakes Region Real Estate Market Report

Submit "Pick a Porch- The Lakes Region Real Estate Market Report" to Facebook Submit "Pick a Porch- The Lakes Region Real Estate Market Report" to Digg Submit "Pick a Porch- The Lakes Region Real Estate Market Report" to Google Submit "Pick a Porch- The Lakes Region Real Estate Market Report" to Twitter
Posted 07-08-2019 at 04:35 PM by Roy Sanborn

Pick-a-Porch

There were 763 single family homes for sale as of June 1, 2019 in the Lakes Region communities covered by this report. The average asking price was $637,473 and the median price point was $349,900. This inventory level represents about a four-and-a-half-month supply of homes on the market.

The Lakes Region Professional Porch Sitters Chapter 603 gathered this week to celebrate the beginning of the premium porch sitting season which obviously begins on July 4th. In attendance were Dirk Davenport, Bubba Gunter, Travis D. Coletrain, Little Stevie Prestone, Ainsley Grantham, John “Leadbellie” Goode, and me.

We met at the Town Docks Restaurant in Meredith on their upper deck. It affords a great view of Meredith Bay and the sun was shining (for a change.) We all settled in to watch the coming and goings of boats, ordered some lunch, and porch crawler beverages.

I had let everyone know that the purpose of today’s meeting was to talk about some of the available porches that were currently on the market in the Lakes Region. More often then not, newer homes are being constructed with just a back deck rather than a covered or enclosed porch. The Professional Porch Sitters manual refers to decks as “Poor Boy” porches. That’s because they are less expensive than a porch with a roof. While a deck is nice, they aren’t very nice when the weather turns nasty or cold. Part of our charter is to promote and encourage the general population to use real porches. Many world problems have been solved on a porch…not so many on a deck.

I did a search on the MLS to find some porches that we could discuss and hopefully find new sitters to purchase them in order to grow our membership.

In the $100,000 to $200,000 price range the home that stood out to me was a really cute red gingerbread home with white shutters at 185 Pleasant Street in Laconia. It was built in 1845 and has four bedrooms, one and a half baths, a first-floor laundry, and a bonus room over the garage. More importantly, it has a cute wrap around porch with ornate scroll-work at the top of the columns. It is the perfect entry level home for a would-be porch sitter and has a lot of upside potential. It is offered at $180,000.

“And,” I said, “The listing agent says that there is a historical significance to this home! Jimmy Carter actually stayed here during his 1976 Presidential campaign! That’s pretty cool.”

“Do you think he might have actually sat out on the porch eating peanuts?” asked Dirk.
“Naw,” replied Leadbellie “But if he had let Billy on the campaign trail with him, Billy would have been out there drinking that famous Billy Beer and telling stories. I liked Billy a lot! He sure did cause Jimmy a lot of fits.”

In the $200,000 to $300,000 price range the listing at 15 Ridgewood Drive in Gilmanton has a great three season porch. The porch has tongue and groove pine boards, a vaulted pine ceiling, lots of windows and a skylight. While there is no heat in it, the owners just open the slider and use it year-round. Its perfect for watching TV. As a bonus, the porch is attached to a very well maintained and nicely decorated three bedroom, one and three quarter bath, raised ranch with 1,788 square feet of living space. It has granite countertops, gleaming hardwood floors, a master suite, and a great family room in the basement. It also has beach rights down at the end of the street. You won’t find anything nicer at $239,900.

“That’s a pretty nice neighborhood,” said Bubba “and it is an easy commute to Concord from there.”

“You could probably put a little direct vent stove out there just in case it really cold in the winter, but you probably don’t need it.” added Ainsley.

The $300,000 to $400,000 “porch pick” is at 114 Varney Rd in Gilmanton. This log home not only has a front screened porch with a hammock, but it also has a back “Poor Boy” deck off the master suite that is upgraded with a hot tub. This 2,313 square foot, two bedroom, one and three-quarter bath log home was built in 1997. It has cathedral ceilings, the requisite stone fireplace, a kitchen with granite countertops and stainless steel appliances, ceramic tile and wide pine floors. This log home has it all…even beach rights across the street on Crystal Lake and a mooring!

“I like log cabins! And speaking of presidents I had a Lincoln Log set when I was a kid.” mumbled Travis as he takes a bite out of his fish sandwich. He is eating all the time you know. “It’s is too bad that the cabin isn’t like really, really old and Abe Lincoln had stayed there. That would make it a really cool porch.”

“Stop thinking and take another bite of your sandwich, Travis!” Bubba replied.

In the over $400,000 category there are probably lots of cool waterfront porches that will cost an arm and a leg, but I like the porch out at 139 Kaulback Road Sanbornton. I said, “The porch on this reproduction farmhouse really will take you back to simpler times and I can just imagine sitting out there rocking away. There’s a great front porch overlooking the yard with nice scroll work and a Robin’s-egg blue bead-board ceiling. On the side is a screened porch for when the bugs are out.”

“It looks like the house is pretty darn nice, too!” added Little Stevie. “This a really great reproduction home with all the modern amenities. It’s got a nice country kitchen with stainless appliances, granite countertops, soft close cabinetry, a farmhouse sink, and look at that vintage wood burning cook stove. How cool is that! It has got four bedrooms, a living room with a fireplace, and a family room, too!”

“What I like is the two-story barn!” piped in Bubba, snickering. “It is huge with fifteen-foot-high ceilings and it has a chain hoist so we can lift up Travis when he falls down. Great place to work on stuff or have some animals especially with the fenced area out back, the run-ins, and almost fifteen acres of land. Seems like a good deal at $439,900.”
“Dirk,” I asked, “do you know why a porch ceiling is painted blue?”

“Because they didn’t have any white paint.” He replied.

“No, no,” said Bubba, “its to keep bugs from landing there ‘cause they think it’s the blue sky.”

“No. you’re both wrong.” I said. “Down South they started painting porch ceilings a light blue…more precisely called ‘Haint blue’…to keep the ‘Haints’ or ghosts away! True story…”

“I bet ol’ Jimmy Carter has a blue porch ceiling down there on his peanut farm!” surmised Leadbellie.

Data compiled using the NEREN MLS system
Posted in Real Estate
Share Views 90092 Comments 0
« Prev     Main     Next »
Total Comments 0

Comments