PDA

View Full Version : "Social Distancing" at the Lake

Pages : [1] 2

Andromeda321
03-12-2020, 09:44 AM
Anyone else doing this in these strange times? My husband and I are now both on remote work for the foreseeable future, and our Internet is good up there, so we are decamping in the next few days to head up to the lake. Now that social distancing is the new trend I can't help but think it's basically what lake life is anyway- go for walks in the woods, kayak, and read a good book without getting within six feet of anyone else! :laugh:

This is going to also be our first time up there for ice out, so that'll be an interesting point in a spring I'm sure no one is going to forget anytime soon.

Major
03-12-2020, 09:56 AM
Nope. Looking forward to having a nice dinner with good friends on Saturday night. Not sure where we are going. No social distancing for this cat.

Susie Cougar
03-12-2020, 10:00 AM
Andromeda321, If you look under the post McMansions, you will see that this is one of the things I have suggested that people start doing. I am taking this coronavirus very seriously and I am very upset that so many others think it’s a media hype. Good for you for doing the right thing. Didn’t

Susie Cougar
03-12-2020, 10:02 AM
Andromeda321, If you look under the post McMansions, you will see that this is one of the things I have suggested that people start doing. I am taking this coronavirus very seriously and I am very upset that so many others think it’s a media hype. Good for you for doing the right thing. Didn’t

Sorry, the post is the New Hampshire Boat Show. I think I better get off this forum for a while. Lol 😂

thinkxingu
03-12-2020, 10:27 AM
Anyone else doing this in these strange times? My husband and I are now both on remote work for the foreseeable future, and our Internet is good up there, so we are decamping in the next few days to head up to the lake. Now that social distancing is the new trend I can't help but think it's basically what lake life is anyway- go for walks in the woods, kayak, and read a good book without getting within six feet of anyone else! [emoji23]

This is going to also be our first time up there for ice out, so that'll be an interesting point in a spring I'm sure no one is going to forget anytime soon.What a wonderful option you have! I hope you enjoy it—the way you describe being up there is making me yearn for our season to start, something I don't often do before warmer weather!

Sent from my SM-G950U using Winnipesaukee Forum mobile app (http://r.tapatalk.com/byo?rid=92687)

Andromeda321
03-12-2020, 10:30 AM
Hah, silly me for not knowing that was the correct place to discuss this! ;)

My thoughts on this is we are both young and two weeks with a flu isn't fun either, but it's not me I'm worried about. I work at a university that just completely shut down and sent the students home with a few days notice (so stressful for them), but I certainly don't want to get anyone ill around me who may get sick. And frankly anyone who looks at reports coming out of the hospitals in Italy, a Western nation with advanced medicine, knows this isn't "just the flu" or "just hysteria." (I also hate when people point to swine flu stats as comparison- they always do so for one year of stats, and we're only three months into this! Let alone non-linear in growth!)

Plus honestly, I don't need much of an excuse to hang out by the lake. Beats sitting in my small apartment getting bored of what's on Netflix any day!

umbrellapoint
03-12-2020, 10:31 AM
Andromeda321, ice out is spectacular. Last time I was up for it, the wind kicked up waves underneath the ice and there were massive swells of ice rolling across the broads. One of the most awesome sites I have seen. Enjoy your time up there.

MAXUM
03-12-2020, 10:55 AM
I love the newly coined phrase "social distancing" how quaint and politically correct.

It's a virus it will spread, some will die from it most will not. Simple as that. What is happening now is mass hysteria fueled by a 24X7 news cycle that has nothing better to do than whip up their viewers for ratings. That is not to downplay how severe it is, by creating mass panic it just makes it that much worse.

The world will survive this, mankind as we know it will not come to an end. If anything, we should be psyched for "global warming" as once it gets hot according to scientists this thing should dissipate.

Top-Water
03-12-2020, 11:04 AM
I think I'm going to try and "social distance" myself as much as posible with the smallmouth this summer.

:)

Hopefully I'll survive.

MAXUM
03-12-2020, 11:32 AM
Good way to keep people out of your hot spot. Just start coughing real bad :emb:

I ponder the thought what is adequate "social distancing" while fishing? This is VERY critical for the safety of others.

Garcia
03-12-2020, 11:56 AM
The idea of limiting contact with others prior to a major outbreak is not new. Epidemiologists use data from the 1918 flu pandemic to help better plan for and avoid crises today. Here's one article that shows how two communities approached the 1918 flu, https://qz.com/1816060/a-chart-of-the-1918-spanish-flu-shows-why-social-distancing-works/.

Public health officials are caught between a rock and a hard place. If they do nothing and the crises grows, people complain. If they take drastic action and a crises is minimized, people say the measures were not necessary.

Right now Italy is being overwhelmed by the COVID-19 outbreak. We are a couple weeks behind them in terms of the outbreak. It certainly seems wise to take careful, thoughtful, even dramatic actions to limit the spread. Do we need to panic and make decisions based on fears? Of course not. But, thoughtful, science based decisions are prudent.

Andromeda321
03-12-2020, 12:00 PM
I love the newly coined phrase "social distancing" how quaint and politically correct.

It's a virus it will spread, some will die from it most will not. Simple as that. What is happening now is mass hysteria fueled by a 24X7 news cycle that has nothing better to do than whip up their viewers for ratings. That is not to downplay how severe it is, by creating mass panic it just makes it that much worse.

The world will survive this, mankind as we know it will not come to an end. If anything, we should be psyched for "global warming" as once it gets hot according to scientists this thing should dissipate.

Ok, boomer.

Orion
03-12-2020, 12:17 PM
I think the property values of island properties just went up. ;)

WinnisquamZ
03-12-2020, 12:18 PM
I have been practicing social distancing for years, that is why we move here. All be well, this will pass.

Sent from my iPhone using Winnipesaukee Forum mobile app (http://r.tapatalk.com/byo?rid=92687)

Descant
03-12-2020, 12:19 PM
Good way to keep people out of your hot spot. Just start coughing real bad :emb:

I ponder the thought what is adequate "social distancing" while fishing? This is VERY critical for the safety of others.

Gas will be cheaper this summer. Get a bigger boat (low interest rates!) so you
can fish socially distant from the same boat. Watching the market in the last few days, I wouldn't be surprised to see some bargains in boats and other discretionary items this summer.

hd333
03-12-2020, 12:19 PM
https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20200312/9a3830770a8e7b983ac8f003c031f00b.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

MAXUM
03-12-2020, 12:23 PM
Ok, boomer.

Sorry to disappoint but I'm actually way to young to be a "boomer".

Susie Cougar
03-12-2020, 12:38 PM
Andromeda321, how long are they closing down for?

Andromeda321
03-12-2020, 12:51 PM
Andromeda321, how long are they closing down for?

Right now all regular activity at my work (visits, travel, gatherings over 25, etc) are suspended through April 30, with the understanding that it can of course be longer.

ishoot308
03-12-2020, 01:09 PM
I ponder the thought what is adequate "social distancing"

I'm going to have to separate the stools at the tiki bar a bit more!...:D:D

Top-Water
03-12-2020, 01:11 PM

:cheers::cheers:

garysanfran
03-12-2020, 01:39 PM
2009-2010 when Obama was President...60,000,000 Americans infected. 30,000 hospitalized...In the USA!

Anyone remember?

Probably not.

codeman671
03-12-2020, 01:46 PM

It will be an interesting season. Rates will be low but with the market taking such a beating it may limit people wanting to tap into investments or use up cash to buy a luxury item like an island property.

Me? I will be shopping. No need to overpay now.

thinkxingu
03-12-2020, 01:50 PM
It will be an interesting season. Rates will be low but with the market taking such a beating it may limit people wanting to tap into investments or use up cash to buy a luxury item like an island property.

Me? I will be shopping. No need to overpay now.I learned a long time ago to save when things are good and buy when things aren't.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Winnipesaukee Forum mobile app (http://r.tapatalk.com/byo?rid=92687)

BroadHopper
03-12-2020, 02:01 PM
In the 60's, 70's and 80's, i knew a lot of folks from various part of the lake. Block parties in neighborhoods where everyone is invited were common. The water ski races and exhibits were popular places to meet folks. Sand bars were popular before all the crazy laws enacted. Neighborhoods even had crazy boat parades! Everyone was very sociable!

Now, the mcmansion owners would complain about the block parties and sand bars. Speed limit divided the lake community. Watersport activities are almost non existence! The weekend are practically crazy with the bad attitude in boating. Social disengagement becomes the norm. Sad.

Susie Cougar
03-12-2020, 02:01 PM
Right now all regular activity at my work (visits, travel, gatherings over 25, etc) are suspended through April 30, with the understanding that it can of course be longer.

As important as these closings are, I can’t help but feel sorry for the people who will be affected the most, the hourly workers who do not have sick pay or vacation pay or any time to use. Food-service workers are going to be hit very hard by this. All those workers in all those school cafeterias. So many people live from paycheck to paycheck anyway, I’m not sure what people are supposed to do in a situation like this.

Hillcountry
03-12-2020, 02:08 PM

LMAO...as long as you don't start "pushing them in" Dan! :eek:

gillygirl
03-12-2020, 04:29 PM
Ok, boomer.

I hope you’re not an educator with this kind of response.

Sent from my iPad using Winnipesaukee Forum mobile app (http://r.tapatalk.com/byo?rid=92687)

Susie Cougar
03-12-2020, 05:02 PM
All public schools in Maryland are closed immediately until March 27.
I guess people are starting to take this as seriously as they should. It’s just too bad that my grandkids can’t come down here for a couple of weeks while they’re out of school. They get to be stuck in Baltimore city with nothing to do.
Being stuck at the lake sounds pretty good to me.

gillygirl
03-12-2020, 05:23 PM
2009-2010 when Obama was President...60,000,000 Americans infected. 30,000 hospitalized...In the USA!

Anyone remember?

Probably not.Sorry, viruses have no politics. And you need to recheck your numbers...the first is correct, but the second is low by a factor of 9. From the CDC website "The United States mounted a complex, multi-faceted and long-term response to the pandemic." We're not seeing that as of now for this pandemic. Hopefully, that will change.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Winnipesaukee Forum mobile app (http://r.tapatalk.com/byo?rid=92687)

steve-on-mark
03-12-2020, 06:28 PM
LMAO...as long as you don't start "pushing them in" Dan! :eek:Yikes...I have a great joke here, but I'd better refrain![emoji6]

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Winnipesaukee Forum mobile app (http://r.tapatalk.com/byo?rid=92687)

Top-Water
03-12-2020, 08:56 PM
So many people live from paycheck to paycheck anyway, I’m not sure what people are supposed to do in a situation like this.

You asked the question.

A : Create government nanny state program (slash) feel good legeslation and everything will be fine.

Overlake97
03-12-2020, 09:56 PM
“LONDON (Reuters) - At least one in five people worldwide were infected with swine flu during the first year of the 2009-2010 H1N1 pandemic, an international research group said on Friday, but the death rate was just 0.02 percent.” COVID-19’s mortality rate looks to be around 3%, overall; higher for people over 65 (not sure of that number).

MAXUM
03-13-2020, 08:39 AM
“LONDON (Reuters) - At least one in five people worldwide were infected with swine flu during the first year of the 2009-2010 H1N1 pandemic, an international research group said on Friday, but the death rate was just 0.02 percent.” COVID-19’s mortality rate looks to be around 3%, overall; higher for people over 65 (not sure of that number).

While at the moment those numbers may be accurate at the outset of H1N1 the mortality rate being observed was reported to be in a similar range as well but as time went on and it ran it's due course the actual numbers were far from that. In fact I recall where it was first observed the mortality rate was very high. It's all in how accurate the sampling is, as already noted by several doctors I have seen interviewed who appear to be interested in spreading fact not fear, many cases will be mild and as such may not be identified as COVID-19. Instead it seems quite plausible the numbers are skewed now because nobody has an accurate count of how many actually are infected or recovered.

It would be nice if there was more responsible reporting on this. Not to downplay the threat, but to put context to it. That way the focus can be placed on protecting those who's lives really do depend on protection from it. We are NOT in the midst of a Zombie Apocalypse as many would like you to believe.

Top-Water
03-13-2020, 08:49 AM
My son who works in a hospital operating room in southern new hampshire said it best last night on our way out to dinner last evening.

I wish the talking heads that are not qualified to speak about the issuse would just shut up. ............ we can't even do elective surgery anymore. Way to much misinformation.

It would be nice if there was more responsible reporting on this. Not to downplay the threat, but to put context to it. That way the focus can be placed on protecting those who's lives really do depend on protection from it. We are NOT in the midst of a Zombie Apocalypse as many would like you to believe.

MAXUM
03-13-2020, 09:17 AM
When you have politicians pontificating about xenophobia, as if that is relevant to the situation at hand, it's pretty clear we are not in grave danger from this virus, we are in grave danger because the people who are in placed in a position of authority are completely and utterly incompetent.

For once it would be nice to see the political posturing to stop and the entire country band together and address this like adults. Fact is a virus has no concept of race or political persuasion.

FlyingScot
03-13-2020, 09:29 AM
While at the moment those numbers may be accurate at the outset of H1N1 the mortality rate being observed was reported to be in a similar range as well but as time went on and it ran it's due course the actual numbers were far from that. In fact I recall where it was first observed the mortality rate was very high. It's all in how accurate the sampling is, as already noted by several doctors I have seen interviewed who appear to be interested in spreading fact not fear, many cases will be mild and as such may not be identified as COVID-19. Instead it seems quite plausible the numbers are skewed now because nobody has an accurate count of how many actually are infected or recovered.

This is completely reasonable, and it's critical that we have responsible reporting. But a central problem here is that it is extraordinarily difficult to predict or even understand exponential growth. So when we see something dangerous growing exponentially, it is responsible to sound the alarm.

Here's a bit of fun to illustrate the exponential growth problem--take a sheet of paper and fold it in half. Then fold it half again (so that the sheet is now 1/4 of it's original size and 4 sheets thick). Then fold it in half again, and again...Assuming we could fold the paper in half 40 times and then sit it on the a table, how tall would the stack be?

A beer on my porch in June awaits the first reasonably close guesser.

AC2717
03-13-2020, 09:40 AM
Can someone give an update on the ground thaw? I want to turn my water on and get started a lot earlier than normal this year

MAXUM
03-13-2020, 09:45 AM
2^(40) - 1

It's a big number! I just don't have a calculator handy to do this math.

Top-Water
03-13-2020, 09:52 AM
Not solve-able ........ you did not include the thickness of the paper. So how can you figure it out how tall it is.

how tall would the stack be?

Mr. V
03-13-2020, 09:59 AM
Seems pretty simple to me.

People who don't care whether or not they contract the virus can blithely not practice "social distancing," whereas those who must avoid it due to underlying health problems or those who simply don't want to catch the flu will practice it.

Your choice.

Life free or try.

MAXUM
03-13-2020, 10:17 AM
Depends on if you are looking for an actual measurement of thickness versus how many layers would be created as a result.

Susie Cougar
03-13-2020, 10:28 AM
.1*2(40)=
I am assuming that the paper is .1 mm thick.

Top-Water
03-13-2020, 10:34 AM
Depends on if you are looking for an actual measurement of thickness versus how many layers would be created as a result.

Now you talking like Bill Clinton trying to figure out what the defenition of is, is. :liplick:

There is a solution to FlyingScot question but it has to be written correctly with all the necesarry data in order to be solved.

Susie Cougar
03-13-2020, 10:36 AM
I wrote the formula wrong.

2^40x.1=
Same answer

Biggd
03-13-2020, 10:36 AM

The world will survive this, mankind as we know it will not come to an end. If anything, we should be psyched for "global warming" as once it gets hot according to scientists this thing should dissipate.We could be like China and have all our news coming from the Government. :eek: They downplayed the virus until it was so bad they couldn't hide the results any longer.
My best friend has business associates over there and he said they all told him that it's much worse than the government is letting on.

Top-Water
03-13-2020, 10:37 AM
.1*2(40)=
I am assuming that the paper is .1 mm thick.

If you fold it 42 times it would reach the moon and a little more at 1mm thick

-----------------------
Edit at work most of us agree its .0023 - .0025 inches thick is the averrage in inches. I think most paper is graded in {bonds}

Descant
03-13-2020, 11:00 AM
Folding paper is an old bar bet. You can't fold it more than 8 times. Put your beer down and try it. Get a bigger piece of paper and try again. Now, give your credit card to the bartender. You lost twice.

MAXUM
03-13-2020, 11:12 AM
Folding paper is an old bar bet. You can't fold it more than 8 times. Put your beer down and try it. Get a bigger piece of paper and try again. Now, give your credit card to the bartender. You lost twice.

But the question said Assuming we could fold the paper in half 40 times

Susie Cougar
03-13-2020, 11:16 AM
Riverside Elementary School is holding an election to determine the new school color. 5/8 of the votes are for blue, 5/9 of the remaining votes are for green, and the remaining 48 votes are red. How many votes were for blue?

Do you like this question better? My daughter sent it to me a couple of weeks ago. She couldn’t figure it out. It’s fifth grade math.

Top-Water
03-13-2020, 11:24 AM
Riverside Elementary School is holding an election to determine the new school color. 5/8 of the votes are for blue, 5/9 of the remaining votes are for green, and the remaining 48 votes are red. How many votes were for blue?

Do you like this question better? My daughter sent it to me a couple of weeks ago. She couldn’t figure it out. It’s fifth grade math.

I'm sorry to interrupt .... one little short moment........... but the best one on the forum was the one about Sea-Level - Water Level and what you can or could see from Alton To Center Harbor.

Now back to Susie's question.

gillygirl
03-13-2020, 12:22 PM

Sent from my iPad using Winnipesaukee Forum mobile app (http://r.tapatalk.com/byo?rid=92687)

Susie Cougar
03-13-2020, 12:57 PM
Good job, gillygirl!

gillygirl
03-13-2020, 02:26 PM
Good job, gillygirl!Crap, I've had enough math through my years that if I didn't get it, I'd get checked for early onset dementia.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Winnipesaukee Forum mobile app (http://r.tapatalk.com/byo?rid=92687)

DickR
03-13-2020, 03:46 PM

Yes, you are correct, but any good teacher will subtract a few points for not showing the work. So, for the rest out there:

5/8 went for blue, leaving 3/8 for something else. 5/9 of that 3/8 went for green, leaving (4/9) x (3/8) = 0.1666666... (or 1/6) for the remainder,who went red. That 48 is 1/6 of 288, and the original 5/8 of 288 went blue, or 180.

FlyingScot
03-13-2020, 04:16 PM
Nice work, Susie and Top Water! A couple of beers, or 4, or 8 or 16 or...are available for collection on my porch in June.

So like the folding paper--if the virus doubles 2 or 4 or 10 times, the whole thing will be seen as overblown--as Major and others have opined. But if it keeps doubling, we're really screwed, and we will have wished we did even more to slow the spread.

Susie Cougar
03-13-2020, 04:34 PM
This is a whole lot more fun than talking about the coronavirus.

Mr. V
03-13-2020, 04:42 PM

Then start a thread about it.

Hijacking this thread is poor form.

ApS
03-13-2020, 05:27 PM

Exponential growth is talking about the coronavirus! :eek2:

nj2nh
03-14-2020, 02:44 PM

No one can say for sure that this will dissipate in warm weather. Italy is warm. The Middle East is warm. Spain is warm. All are hot spots right now.

I prefer panic to complacency which is infinitely worse.

nj2nh
03-14-2020, 02:46 PM
Ok, boomer.

Ok, boomer? Could you be any ruder or more obnoxious? Since when did those born before 1964 become vilified and stupid?

gillygirl
03-15-2020, 09:53 AM
Ok, boomer? Could you be any ruder or more obnoxious? Since when did those born before 1964 become vilified and stupid?

Didn’t you know that all the current ills of society were caused by boomers? [emoji19]

MAXUM
03-15-2020, 10:43 AM
No one can say for sure that this will dissipate in warm weather. Italy is warm. The Middle East is warm. Spain is warm. All are hot spots right now.

I prefer panic to complacency which is infinitely worse.

An interesting map showing the current "hot spots" as it relates to temperature.... all these areas are in a similar temperature band.

Again it's early to make assumptions here, but there certainly seems to be a trend forming. There have already been observations doing in labs indicating that temperature, more so humidity has a direct effect on the ease at which this spreads.

Mr. V
03-15-2020, 01:56 PM
Ok, boomer? Could you be any ruder or more obnoxious?

I found the comment to be apt.

It's a dismissive shortcut, ala "that's enough, grandpa, now go watch Fox news."

It was a curt, on point response to Maxum's asinine claim that "we should be psyched for "global warming" as once it gets hot according to scientists this thing should dissipate."

Andromeda321
03-17-2020, 11:56 AM
I found the comment to be apt.

It's a dismissive shortcut, ala "that's enough, grandpa, now go watch Fox news."

It was a curt, on point response to Maxum's asinine claim that "we should be psyched for "global warming" as once it gets hot according to scientists this thing should dissipate."

Yes. It's not about age. (https://www.vox.com/2019/11/19/20963757/what-is-ok-boomer-meme-about-meaning-gen-z-millennials)

steve-on-mark
03-17-2020, 03:00 PM

As long as the increases offset our 401k losses!

TiltonBB
03-17-2020, 03:44 PM
Lakes Region General Hospital reports two positive tests:

From the Laconia Sun:

https://www.laconiadailysun.com/news/lrgh-reports-first-two-positive-covid--tests/article_d29be5e2-688d-11ea-a5bd-4b950390dfc1.html#utm_source=laconiadailysun.com&utm_campaign=%2Fnews%2Flrgh-reports-first-two-positive-covid--tests%2Farticle-d29be5e2-688d-11ea-a5bd-4b950390dfc1.html%3Fmode%3Demail%26-dc%3D1584477110&utm_medium=auto%20alert%20email&utm_content=headline

dippasan
03-17-2020, 03:50 PM
Anyone else doing this in these strange times? My husband and I are now both on remote work for the foreseeable future, and our Internet is good up there, so we are decamping in the next few days to head up to the lake. Now that social distancing is the new trend I can't help but think it's basically what lake life is anyway- go for walks in the woods, kayak, and read a good book without getting within six feet of anyone else! :laugh:

This is going to also be our first time up there for ice out, so that'll be an interesting point in a spring I'm sure no one is going to forget anytime soon.

Social distancing at the lake is 150'

Top-Water
03-17-2020, 04:05 PM
Social distancing at the lake is 150'

And ...... includes no wake clause ........:)

jeffk
03-17-2020, 04:27 PM
No worries about "wake" because the lake is still frozen.

Seaplane Pilot
03-17-2020, 05:48 PM
https://youtu.be/izQB2-Kmiic

In the year 2525, if man is still alive
If woman can survive, they may find
In the year 3535
Ain't gonna need to tell the truth, tell no lie
Everything you think, do and say
Is in the pill you took today
In the year 4545
You ain't gonna need your teeth, won't need your eyes
You won't find a thing to chew
Nobody's gonna look at you
In the year 5555
Your arms hangin' limp at your sides
Your legs got nothin' to do
Some machine's doin' that for you
In the year 6565
You won't need no husband, won't need no wife
You'll pick your son, pick your daughter too
From the bottom of a long glass tube
In the year 7510
If God's a coming, He oughta make it by then
Maybe He'll look around Himself and say
Guess it's time for the judgment day
In the year 8510
God is gonna shake His mighty head
He'll either say I'm pleased where man has been
Or tear it down, and start again
In the year 9595
I'm kinda wonderin' if man is gonna be alive
He's taken everything this old earth can give
And he ain't put back nothing
Now it's been ten thousand years
Man has cried a billion tears
For what, he never knew, now man's reign is through
But through eternal night, the twinkling of starlight
So very far away, maybe it's only yesterday

erick26
03-18-2020, 08:43 AM
Nope. Looking forward to having a nice dinner with good friends on Saturday night. Not sure where we are going. No social distancing for this cat.

Major I would ask that you reconsider your actions. Even if you and your friends are not concerned with getting the virus, I’ve heard the contagious factor is like an invisible wildfire so even if you have no symptoms at all you can spread it for up to 2 weeks to others. You could infect a family member or friend that could become extremely sick or even die. I know this whole thing is crazy, but I believe the numbers are much worse than reported due to lack of testing. The longer people ignore this, the longer it will drag out and potentially create full shutdowns of everything! Just my 2 cents. Thx #stayingthe’F’home

Major
03-18-2020, 09:22 AM
Major I would ask that you reconsider your actions. Even if you and your friends are not concerned with getting the virus, I’ve heard the contagious factor is like an invisible wildfire so even if you have no symptoms at all you can spread it for up to 2 weeks to others. You could infect a family member or friend that could become extremely sick or even die. I know this whole thing is crazy, but I believe the numbers are much worse than reported due to lack of testing. The longer people ignore this, the longer it will drag out and potentially create full shutdowns of everything! Just my 2 cents. Thx #stayingthe’F’home

Too late. Had an awesome time with no regrets. Went to Mass on Sunday and lunch with friends at Canoe. I have no choice now. The world has stopped. We'll invite friends over to our home to socialize.

I realize there are risks. However, personally, I think it makes sense for persons to be responsible for their own actions. If you are over a certain age, or have a compromised immune system, the responsibility should be on you to make sure you are safe. We shouldn't destroy our economy. I refuse to live in fear. Quite honestly, the government's actions and our compliance without question to the government's actions scare me way worse than the Chinese coronavirus. In the case of a real crisis, where our liberties and freedoms are at stake, will we be so compliant?

It's all about understanding and accepting risks. I've stated this before so forgive me for boring you, but last year 36,000 U.S. citizens died from the flu and nearly 500,000 were hospitalized with the flu. Each year between 20,000 and 80,000 U.S. citizens die from the flu. It is a risk that we accept, much like driving a car, which kills roughly 35,000 U.S. citizens per year. With the Chinese coronavirus, we do not understand the risks so we are unwilling to accept it and in the meantime overreacting and panicking.

For the time being, I am enjoying traveling to work on near empty roads and trains and working quietly in a near empty office.

The Real BigGuy
03-18-2020, 09:36 AM
What is “Chinese” coronavirus? Oh, that’s right, a “true believer” needs to mimic the words of the “great” leader or get drummed out of the corps.

Sent from my iPhone using Winnipesaukee Forum mobile app (http://r.tapatalk.com/byo?rid=92687)

Major
03-18-2020, 09:37 AM
What is “Chinese” coronavirus? Oh, that’s right, a “true believer” needs to mimic the words of the “great” leader or get drummed out of the corps.

Where did it originate? I take my cues from the left. I like to label things.

erick26
03-18-2020, 09:38 AM
Too late. Had an awesome time with no regrets. Went to Mass on Sunday and lunch with friends at Canoe. I have no choice now. The world has stopped. We'll invite friends over to our home to socialize.

I realize there are risks. However, personally, I think it makes sense for persons to be responsible for their own actions. If you are over a certain age, or have a compromised immune system, the responsibility should be on you to make sure you are safe. We shouldn't destroy our economy. I refuse to live in fear. Quite honestly, the government's actions and our compliance without question to the government's actions scare me way worse than the Chinese coronavirus. In the case of a real crisis, where our liberties and freedoms are at stake, will we be so compliant?

It's all about understanding and accepting risks. I've stated this before so forgive me for boring you, but last year 36,000 U.S. citizens died from the flu and nearly 500,000 were hospitalized with the flu. Each year between 20,000 and 80,000 U.S. citizens die from the flu. It is a risk that we accept, much like driving a car, which kills roughly 35,000 U.S. citizens per year. With the Chinese coronavirus, we do not understand the risks so we are unwilling to accept it and in the meantime overreacting and panicking.

For the time being, I am enjoying traveling to work on near empty roads and trains and working quietly in a near empty office.

I truly hope you are right, but for me right now with too much unknown (and slightly decreases immune system), I’m sitting on the sidelines. I just hope everyone’s “ah ha” moment doesn’t come too late. Be safe everyone !

Hillcountry
03-18-2020, 09:47 AM

Sorry, big guy...as long as people like you and the fake news, and the lying, corrupt, deranged and triggered, left keep harping on people to adopt the absurdity of political correctness, we will say what we feel we need and want to say. That, and it's fun to watch liberal heads explode when we do. :D:laugh::laugh::laugh:

The Real BigGuy
03-18-2020, 09:49 AM
You might try labeling it correctly - Coronavirus Disease - 2019 or COVID-19 for short. But, the “great leader” might get angry with you for showing your smarter than him (which apparently isn’t that difficult).

Major
03-18-2020, 09:57 AM
You might try labeling it correctly - Coronavirus Disease - 2019 or COVID-19 for short. But, the “great leader” might get angry with you for showing your smarter than him (which apparently isn’t that difficult).

Did you call the German measles and Spanish flu by the technical names? The virus originated in China, thus Chinese coronavirus.

I hope the one thing we can learn from this is that China is our enemy. And rightfully so for many reasons, least of which is that it is a COMMUNIST country. We should reevaluate our reliance on them and move our manufacturing back home. This is a natural result of globalists attitudes and corporate greed, which hollowed out our middle class.

Hillcountry
03-18-2020, 10:03 AM

Well you got one thing right...President Trump is a great leader. One of the greatest in our lifetime.

Major
03-18-2020, 10:31 AM
Something to consider.

Mr. V
03-18-2020, 12:37 PM
Major, your decision to live your life as usual is contrary to what your President is recommending.

Whether or not we are overreacting the fact is that we've been told to practice social distancing.

This disease is still new, not much is known about it.

For all anyone knows you could be an asymptomatic carrier, ala Mary Mallon.

"Typhoid Major?"

Take one for the team and go dark.

This too shall pass, but at what awful cost?

Biggd
03-18-2020, 01:07 PM
Did you call the German measles and Spanish flu by the technical names? The virus originated in China, thus Chinese coronavirus.

I hope the one thing we can learn from this is that China is our enemy. And rightfully so for many reasons, least of which is that it is a COMMUNIST country. We should reevaluate our reliance on them and move our manufacturing back home. This is a natural result of globalists attitudes and corporate greed, which hollowed out our middle class.But Russia is our friend now? Pretty soon you will see the red 'Make Russia Great Again, hats.

joey2665
03-18-2020, 01:44 PM
But Russia is our friend now? Pretty soon you will see the red 'Make Russia Great Again, hats.

A little cynical, no? Also where did you bring in Russia from his post?

Hillcountry
03-18-2020, 01:49 PM
https://youtu.be/izQB2-Kmiic

In the year 3535
Ain't gonna need to tell the truth, tell no lie
Everything you think, do and say
Is in the pill you took today
In the year 4545
You ain't gonna need your teeth, won't need your eyes
You won't find a thing to chew
Nobody's gonna look at you
In the year 5555
Your arms hangin' limp at your sides
Your legs got nothin' to do
Some machine's doin' that for you
In the year 6565
You won't need no husband, won't need no wife
You'll pick your son, pick your daughter too
From the bottom of a long glass tube
In the year 7510
If God's a coming, He oughta make it by then
Maybe He'll look around Himself and say
Guess it's time for the judgment day
In the year 8510
God is gonna shake His mighty head
He'll either say I'm pleased where man has been
Or tear it down, and start again
In the year 9595
I'm kinda wonderin' if man is gonna be alive
He's taken everything this old earth can give
And he ain't put back nothing
Now it's been ten thousand years
Man has cried a billion tears
For what, he never knew, now man's reign is through
But through eternal night, the twinkling of starlight
So very far away, maybe it's only yesterday

Zager and Evans wrote and performed that “one hit wonder” song...did you know that Denny Zager (long retired from performing) has his own line of hand made guitars, made in the USA?
Check out Zager “easy play” Guitars...I own one and they are very nice with great playability due to the mods and adaptations that Zager builds them with.

FlyingScot
03-18-2020, 03:11 PM
Well you got one thing right...President Trump is a great leader. One of the greatest in our lifetime.

You guys are a couple of days behind your great leader's pronouncements on the pandemic. He was late, but he's taking this seriously now. Maybe it's time for you to join him?

"Nothing has been so contagious. The level of contagion has been incredible, actually. Nobody's seen anything quite like this,"

https://abcnews.go.com/Politics/trump-tweets-us-canada-closing-border-white-house/story?id=69660955

joey2665
03-18-2020, 03:38 PM
You guys are a couple of days behind your great leader's pronouncements on the pandemic. He was late, but he's taking this seriously now. Maybe it's time for you to join him?

"Nothing has been so contagious. The level of contagion has been incredible, actually. Nobody's seen anything quite like this,"

https://abcnews.go.com/Politics/trump-tweets-us-canada-closing-border-white-house/story?id=69660955

Very nice Monday morning quarterbacking. You should be President I'm sure that you could have done a much better job

Biggd
03-18-2020, 03:39 PM
A little cynical, no? Also where did you bring in Russia from his post?It's kind of like bringing in cash for clunkers into the conversation. :)

Major
03-18-2020, 04:12 PM
Whether or not we are overreacting the fact is that we've been told to practice social distancing.

I am very concerned about this. You are correct, our government has limited our freedom and told us what to do. What if, in the future, the government tells us that they need to take other liberties, like our guns? It's going to happen some day. Then you will most definitely see a different response. I am surprised about how easy we give up our freedoms.

FlyingScot
03-18-2020, 04:21 PM
Very nice Monday morning quarterbacking. You should be President I'm sure that you could have done a much better job

Actually, I think the majority of strong business and political leaders would be doing a better job, nothing special about me.

But you misunderstood my post--I was indicating that he said the right things today and yesterday. I hope you'll come around to his current way of thinking

BrownstoneNorth
03-18-2020, 05:11 PM
I am very concerned about this. You are correct, our government has limited our freedom and told us what to do. What if, in the future, the government tells us that they need to take other liberties, like our guns? It's going to happen some day. Then you will most definitely see a different response. I am surprised about how easy we give up our freedoms.

I'm more concerned about gun-obsessed anarchists than the idea that “the government” is trying to take control of our lives in a national emergency. I wonder exactly which government that would be. Federal, and if so, the President himself or the whole Executive Branch, the Congress, or the Judiciary? (Hint: They all hate each other and could never agree on how to take over our lives even if they wanted to.) State governors or legislatures? The mayor of Pompano Beach?

joey2665
03-18-2020, 05:27 PM
Actually, I think the majority of strong business and political leaders would be doing a better job, nothing special about me.

But you misunderstood my post--I was indicating that he said the right things today and yesterday. I hope you'll come around to his current way of thinking

I did understand. You said he was late but I don’t think anyone would have done it differently. This is something we have never seen before and without the right knowledge acting too quickly could have cause panic when it wasn’t necessary especially if it was being overhyped. As it turns out earlier reaction could have benefited but as I said we have never seen anything even similar.

Biggd
03-18-2020, 06:04 PM

Sent from my iPhone using Winnipesaukee Forum mobile app (http://r.tapatalk.com/byo?rid=92687)He's like a parrot perched on the shoulder of the President.

Mr. V
03-18-2020, 06:14 PM

No one is FORCING you to practice social distancing.

Yes, the feds and state govt's are telling us we cannot send our kids to school, we cannot eat in restaurants or drink in bars, but I am fine with that because it is only for the short term, until the corona virus issue is resolved.

Trump says we're on a war footing: time to put the uniform again, Major, and heed your CIC.

Hillcountry
03-18-2020, 07:37 PM
He's like a parrot perched on the shoulder of the President.

Awwwkkk...polly wanna cracker!:D

ApS
03-18-2020, 07:46 PM
I am very concerned about this. You are correct, our government has limited our freedom and told us what to do. What if, in the future, the government tells us that they need to take other liberties, like our guns? It's going to happen some day. Then you will most definitely see a different response.
I am surprised about how easy we give up our freedoms.
Only one generation away...

erick26
03-18-2020, 07:49 PM
Something to consider.

https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20200319/e950c2795b36b1019e5811534b1a3af1.jpg

thinkxingu
03-19-2020, 06:59 AM

For the time being, I am enjoying traveling to work on near empty roads and trains and working quietly in a near empty office.A section from my reading this morning seems apt. Excerpt from Where You'll Find Me: Risk, Decisions, and the Last Climb of Kate Matrosova.1567715678

Major
03-19-2020, 07:05 AM
Here is a picture from the Kendall Square T station. Easy commute today into work!

snowflake
03-19-2020, 07:06 AM
I will be praying for all of you. These are tough times that we never even imagine could happen. I hope all small businesses will be able to survive. They are so important to your economy both personal for owners and for the community. I am a teacher and we are making great use of technology to have viral classes daily. I'm a baby boomer so it's not so easy. I take a minute to go to look at the bay and Lake Wentworth.
God bless you all with good health and all your other needs

thinkxingu
03-19-2020, 07:19 AM
Here is a picture from the Kendall Square T station. Easy commute today into work!

15679Wow, things are going sideways in MA for real!

Major
03-19-2020, 07:19 AM
A section from my reading this morning seems apt. Excerpt from Where You'll Find Me: Risk, Decisions, and the Last Climb of Kate Matrosova.1567715678

I've said it before, and I'll say it again, what was our response to the much worse (at least as of right now) H1N1 virus. We did not overreact then and destroy our economy. Did you think that event was mismanaged? Probably not since we did not have the media and social media whipping us into a frenzy.

And you assume that I haven't adapted. That isn't true. We offered our employees the option of working from home on Monday. Since last Thursday (3/12), we surveyed our employees technologies from home, outfitted them with the hardware and software to work from home, and conducted a test of our systems to make sure that it could handle the load. All went well and roughly 3/4 of our staff is working from home. Personally, I chose to work from the office.

Major
03-19-2020, 07:21 AM
Wow, things are going sideways in MA for real!

Yeah, I couldn't get the picture to rotate. It is fine on my desktop but when I uploaded it, it rotated. My apologies. Let me know if you know how to fix it.

Top-Water
03-19-2020, 07:28 AM
Here you go.

https://i.imgur.com/dPhD012.jpg

Biggd
03-19-2020, 07:39 AM
The best case outcome is when this has passed all the people that are preaching that we are overreacting can say "I told you so". Let's all pray that this is the the outcome because the alternative is much worse.

thinkxingu
03-19-2020, 07:49 AM
Yeah, I couldn't get the picture to rotate. It is fine on my desktop but when I uploaded it, it rotated. My apologies. Let me know if you know how to fix it.Just messin' with ya. I'm not totally against your way of thinking—remember I was still willing to hit up the boat show if it looked ok. My concern is that the number of cases is looking to be doubling every couple days...even with the restrictions in place.

Garcia
03-19-2020, 08:22 AM

Just curious - do you commute from Laconia to Boston? I've always assumed from your posts you live in Laconia. If you are commuting, my guess is that not only is no one on the T, traffic on 93 is minimal as well.

Major
03-19-2020, 08:30 AM
Just curious - do you commute from Laconia to Boston? I've always assumed from your posts you live in Laconia. If you are commuting, my guess is that not only is no one on the T, traffic on 93 is minimal as well.

Thanks for asking. I live in Laconia. I have an apartment in Cambridge, where my office used to be for 16 years. Our office recently moved to State Street.

My normal routine is that I drive down Monday morning and stay in the apartment Monday-Wednesday, and return home Thursday evening where I work from home on Friday. I have been doing this for 12 years, and the last three I have shared the apartment with my youngest son who also works on State Street.

It's tough, but I make the most of it on weekends. When I'm down here, I'm here to work. The last few days I've had a chance to catch up with the Forum, which as I can tell by the responses to my posts, everyone is thrilled! :D

gillygirl
03-19-2020, 09:00 AM
Just messin' with ya. I'm not totally against your way of thinking—remember I was still willing to hit up the boat show if it looked ok. My concern is that the number of cases is looking to be doubling every couple days...even with the restrictions in place.

The increase in reported cases may be due to more testing, at least in part.

FlyingScot
03-19-2020, 09:34 AM
And you assume that I haven't adapted. That isn't true. We offered our employees the option of working from home on Monday. Since last Thursday (3/12), we surveyed our employees technologies from home, outfitted them with the hardware and software to work from home, and conducted a test of our systems to make sure that it could handle the load. All went well and roughly 3/4 of our staff is working from home. Personally, I chose to work from the office.

Nice that your business has complied with the recommendations. But with all due respect, you have made it very clear to the group that you have not adapted personally. You noted this on restaurants a day or two ago, and you note it on work today.

webmaster
03-19-2020, 10:01 AM
Yeah, I couldn't get the picture to rotate. It is fine on my desktop but when I uploaded it, it rotated. My apologies. Let me know if you know how to fix it.I've rotated it for you using an image editor. If you're interested here's an article explaining why this happens (usually with cell phone pictures):

https://www.howtogeek.com/254830/why-your-photos-dont-always-appear-correctly-rotated/

Major
03-19-2020, 10:10 AM
Nice that your business has complied with the recommendations. But with all due respect, you have made it very clear to the group that you have not adapted personally. You noted this on restaurants a day or two ago, and you note it on work today.

As far as I know, I still have the right to go to work. It is a recommendation only. That may change, however. I heard Tall Deval is speaking right now.

PENIVISA
03-19-2020, 10:42 AM
Some people are more selfish than others.
Not being critical,just stating a fact.
Either your part of the problem or part of the solution.
I`m sure there is a grey area were we are sometimes part of one and part of another.
I`m doing my part and waiting for ice out.
Be safe,stay healthy and be kind to one another

joey2665
03-19-2020, 10:47 AM

As far as I know you are under no legal obligation to comply with a recommendation as such Major should not be chastised as he is not breaking the law and if he, which I am pretty sure he is, taking the proper precautions while traveling and at work there should be no issue.

FlyingScot
03-19-2020, 10:51 AM
As far as I know, I still have the right to go to work. It is a recommendation only. That may change, however. I heard Tall Deval is speaking right now.

Absolutely you have the right, but that was not the point of Think's thought-provoking post. The point was that different personalities choose different paths when faced with new information/decision points.

I'm not sure if it's ironic or completely predictable that you've now pushed back twice while seeming to have ignored the central idea...which is largely about ignoring...

Major
03-19-2020, 10:54 AM
Some people are more selfish than others.
Not being critical,just stating a fact.
Either your part of the problem or part of the solution.
I`m sure there is a grey area were we are sometimes part of one and part of another.
I`m doing my part and waiting for ice out.
Be safe,stay healthy and be kind to one another

I fail to see the selfish part. I have a family. Our business has 50+ employees. We need to process payrolls, regardless of the Chinese coronavirus and the restrictions on our liberties placed on us by our government. As Joey stated, I'm not breaking the law.

I refuse to be scared. This is a complete overreaction in my opinion. As long as I have the RIGHT to go to work, I will. You can label me all you want. You don't want to hear how I would label you.

thinkxingu
03-19-2020, 11:05 AM
https://www.wmur.com/article/lawsuit-filed-over-nh-ban-on-large-gatherings/31783947#

TheRoBoat
03-19-2020, 11:23 AM
Reported cases/Population

NH - 39/1.3M

Maine - 42/1.3M

CA - 900/40M

While it is very early, both NH and ME are reporting a higher rate of infection than CA. Our number will go up a lot in the coming weeks.

joey2665
03-19-2020, 11:44 AM
Reported cases/Population

NH - 39/1.3M

Maine - 42/1.3M

CA - 900/40M

While it is very early, both NH and ME are reporting a higher rate of infection than CA. Our number will go up a lot in the coming weeks.

And you now this with certainty because..........

MAXUM
03-19-2020, 12:17 PM
I refuse to be scared. \

Right there with you. In fact I have been at work every day since this thing broke pulling very long hours. Ironically enough..... there is a good reason for it. I happen to work for a Pharma company that specializes in hosting clinical trials for the big drug companies. Over the past week and a half there have been several of us who have been here engineering and setting up the necessary infrastructure to support 3 new clinical trials for COVID-19 treatments. This required us to be on site to get this done.

This is going to benefit everyone potentially and I'll be damned if I would sit at home and cower in fear when there is work to be done. Many are out there risking exposure to save or help others, and to them all THANK YOU! Our medical professionals and scientists especially are owed a great deal of gratitude for what they do.

MAXUM
03-19-2020, 12:19 PM
And you now this with certainty because..........

Clearly NH is not sufficiently "socially distanced" from CA. ;)

Major
03-19-2020, 12:21 PM
Right there with you. In fact I have been at work every day since this thing broke pulling very long hours. Ironically enough..... there is a good reason for it. I happen to work for a Pharma company that specializes in hosting clinical trials for the big drug companies. Over the past week and a half there have been several of us who have been here engineering and setting up the necessary infrastructure to support 3 new clinical trials for COVID-19 treatments. This required us to be on site to get this done.

This is going to benefit everyone potentially and I'll be damned if I would sit at home and cower in fear when there is work to be done. Many are out there risking exposure to save or help others, and to them all THANK YOU! Our medical professionals and scientists especially are owed a great deal of gratitude for what they do.

I would thank you, but the thank button is broken!

Jeanzb1
03-19-2020, 12:25 PM
One of my sons live out in Washington state, and he is 95% sure he has coronavirus. He has been keeping a journal for the last week of all his symptoms. He tells me the hospitals request you stay home and self-quarantine, even if you think you are infected, because
1) they don’t want you to spread the virus;
2) there are nowhere near enough testing kits except for the very sickest patients; 3) there’s nothing they can do to help. You should ONLY go to the hospital if you are having trouble breathing. He also tells me it is so prevalent out there that if you haven’t already gotten it, you probably will very soon. So the point I want to make is that, in reality, the numbers of reported cases in the media are FAR FAR HIGHER.

Top-Water
03-19-2020, 12:27 PM
I would thank you, but the thank button is broken!

Just an FYI ...... there is a limit on how much you can use it in one day.

I think it is limited to 4 or 5 times per day.

TheRoBoat
03-19-2020, 01:15 PM
Which part? The numbers, or the prediction that CA’s number of infected is going to go up?

joey2665
03-19-2020, 01:26 PM
Which part? The numbers, or the prediction that CA’s number of infected is going to go up?

The prediction and you didn't specify which states numbers would significantly increase

Top-Water
03-19-2020, 02:05 PM
Gentlmen sincerly I enjoy all of your postings, you all seem to have good souls.

However ....... have a cookie, ... I promise by the the time your done eating it "you will feel right as rain'. :):)

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/nvaE_HCMimQ" frameborder="0" allow="accelerometer; autoplay; encrypted-media; gyroscope; picture-in-picture" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Sadly this whole thing is driving us all nuts. There are valid argumnets on both sides of this.

Like Tic tack toe ,,,,,,, you cant win.

TheRoBoat
03-19-2020, 02:31 PM
Sadly, all state's numbers are going to go up.

The prediction?

In California, we are required, by law, to know how to operate tarot cards, crystal balls, and Ouija boards.

After this, I’m sure we will be required to own them as well.

Damn government.

Biggd
03-19-2020, 02:37 PM
I just read a perfect quote, "it's sure easy to hate government until you need them".

Merrymeeting
03-19-2020, 05:03 PM
This thread is a classic example of internet arguments where both (several?) sides are dug in, advocating their beliefs, in the hope that they will sway the other side...which rarely happens.

It's also a case where I hope those who claim we are overreacting are right. When all is said and done, if its a minimal event, they will be "right". But maybe they will be "right" because of the steps that were taken. Either way, I hope it becomes a non-event. Kind of like Y2K, which I was intimately involved in. It was a non-event. But only because many, many people prepared for a long time to make sure it wasn't.

Should you have any doubt that we need to do something, read here. https://www.nytimes.com/interactive/2020/03/16/upshot/coronavirus-best-worst-death-toll-scenario.html

Use the slider to show how things could change if the infection rate is 30% and fatality rate is 1%. It's eye opening. Theoretical? Yes.

But I hope all the models are wrong, all the steps are "wrong", and we have another "non-event"

JEEPONLY
03-20-2020, 03:18 AM
As far as I know you are under no legal obligation to comply with a recommendation as such Major should not be chastised as he is not breaking the law and if he, which I am pretty sure he is, taking the proper precautions while traveling and at work there should be no issue.

The law v. moral obligation!

Thank you. Major = The man with the unknown name! Love him or hate him!

Major
03-20-2020, 08:11 AM
The law v. moral obligation!

Thank you. Major = The man with the unknown name! Love him or hate him!

I would hope I’m not hated just because I have differing opinions from time to time! By the way, my name is Keith.

Major
03-20-2020, 08:22 AM
https://video.search.yahoo.com/video/play;_ylt=AwrEzeZkw3Reh_IAEQRx.9w4;_ylu=X3oDMTByMj B0aG5zBGNvbG8DYmYxBHBvcwMxBHZ0aWQDBHNlYwNzYw--?p=peter+griffin+keith+youtube&back=https%3A%2F%2Fsearch.yahoo.com%2Fsearch%3Fp%3 Dpeter%2Bgriffin%2Bkeith%2Byoutube%26_tsrc%3Dapple %26ei%3DUTF-8&fr=iphone&turl=https%3A%2F%2Ftse4.mm.bing.net%2Fth%3Fid%3DOV P.czcqWs8o4YI3D8j41V4I1AEsDh%26amp%3Bpid%3DApi%26w %3D144%26h%3D78%26c%3D7&rurl=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.youtube.com%2Fwatch%3Fv%3Dl HAdR98D9Us&tit=Family+Guy+Most+Unattractive+Name&l=21&vid=1f26150f071cc461588ecfb415e0aacd&sigr=11bkt80oo&sigb=12ikcclt5&sigt=111uai76o&sigi=12oge8qap

joey2665
03-20-2020, 08:41 AM
https://video.search.yahoo.com/video/play;_ylt=AwrEzeZkw3Reh_IAEQRx.9w4;_ylu=X3oDMTByMj B0aG5zBGNvbG8DYmYxBHBvcwMxBHZ0aWQDBHNlYwNzYw--?p=peter+griffin+keith+youtube&back=https%3A%2F%2Fsearch.yahoo.com%2Fsearch%3Fp%3 Dpeter%2Bgriffin%2Bkeith%2Byoutube%26_tsrc%3Dapple %26ei%3DUTF-8&fr=iphone&turl=https%3A%2F%2Ftse4.mm.bing.net%2Fth%3Fid%3DOV P.czcqWs8o4YI3D8j41V4I1AEsDh%26amp%3Bpid%3DApi%26w %3D144%26h%3D78%26c%3D7&rurl=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.youtube.com%2Fwatch%3Fv%3Dl HAdR98D9Us&tit=Family+Guy+Most+Unattractive+Name&l=21&vid=1f26150f071cc461588ecfb415e0aacd&sigr=11bkt80oo&sigb=12ikcclt5&sigt=111uai76o&sigi=12oge8qap

Keith that is awesome!!!!!!

JEEPONLY
03-20-2020, 09:23 AM
I was thinking more this...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M-k_BW8iLkk

erick26
03-20-2020, 09:24 AM
I would hope I’m not hated just because I have differing opinions from time to time! By the way, my name is Keith.

Opinions and actions are different - your opinions won’t hurt someone but your actions can

Major
03-20-2020, 09:56 AM
Opinions and actions are different - your opinions won’t hurt someone but your actions can

Do you know for sure? Sounds like an opinion to me.

FlyingScot
03-20-2020, 12:57 PM
Do you know for sure? Sounds like an opinion to me.

I'm with you on it being an opinion.

But it is an opinion shared by virtually every medical and political leader in the entire world. This would include Donald Trump, and what I would assume is your favorite TV source, Fox News. Here's an overview of how their opinions have evolved over the past few weeks. You can skip the editorial if you'd like to avoid bias, but the video clips are all facts (i.e. it's a fact that certain people said certain things at certain times).

https://www.washingtonpost.com/video/politics/how-fox-news-has-shifted-its-coronavirus-rhetoric/2020/03/17/e0f4e15d-9ae3-4779-8a6a-c4eb505e18c0_video.html

I look forward to your opinion on their more recent statements

PENIVISA
03-20-2020, 01:14 PM
I fail to see the selfish part. I have a family. Our business has 50+ employees. We need to process payrolls, regardless of the Chinese coronavirus and the restrictions on our liberties placed on us by our government. As Joey stated, I'm not breaking the law.

I refuse to be scared. This is a complete overreaction in my opinion. As long as I have the RIGHT to go to work, I will. You can label me all you want. You don't want to hear how I would label you.
Major,
So I was just stating a fact about people. If the shoe fits wear it.
Show your true colors and label me.

Major
03-20-2020, 04:30 PM

But it is an opinion shared by virtually every medical and political leader in the entire world. This would include Donald Trump, and what I would assume is your favorite TV source, Fox News. Here's an overview of how their opinions have evolved over the past few weeks. You can skip the editorial if you'd like to avoid bias, but the video clips are all facts (i.e. it's a fact that certain people said certain things at certain times).

https://www.washingtonpost.com/video/politics/how-fox-news-has-shifted-its-coronavirus-rhetoric/2020/03/17/e0f4e15d-9ae3-4779-8a6a-c4eb505e18c0_video.html

Unfortunately, our president had no choice. The media and social media has whipped us up into such a frenzy that politically he could not take more metered actions to avoid destroying what otherwise was a booming economy. I'm not sure he really believes it. However, he has to politically.

I am not impressed by the so-called experts, who for the most part are government employees who have a vested interest in making a mountain out of a molehill. I've made the comparison before, but there are so-called experts who say that manmade climate change is an existential threat.

I've asked this many times with absolutely no response. Where was all of the hand waving and hysteria for the much worse H1N1 virus? Don't tell me the Chinese coronavirus is worse, the comparative numbers do not bear it out. Where are the Forum threads demanding that we destroy our economy to save lives.

As stated before by many others, I think we've exhausted this topic. I have my opinion, everyone else has theirs. I am as resolute if not more so than before just as others are with their views. The one good thing from this is that the President's approval rating is skyrocketing, which given the press against him, is a pretty good result. Even political rivals are praising him. I think history will treat him well on this.

FlyingScot
03-20-2020, 04:37 PM
Unfortunately, our president had no choice. The media and social media has whipped us up into such a frenzy that politically he could not take more metered actions to avoid destroying what otherwise was a booming economy. I'm not sure he really believes it. However, he has to politically.

I am not impressed by the so-called experts, who for the most part are government employees who have a vested interest in making a mountain out of a molehill. I've made the comparison before, but there are so-called experts who say that manmade climate change is an existential threat.

I've asked this many times with absolutely no response. Where was all of the hand waving and hysteria for the much worse H1N1 virus? Don't tell me the Chinese coronavirus is worse, the comparative numbers do not bear it out. Where are the Forum threads demanding that we destroy our economy to save lives.

As stated before by many others, I think we've exhausted this topic. I have my opinion, everyone else has theirs. I am as resolute if not more so than before just as others are with their views. The one good thing from this is that the President's approval rating is skyrocketing, which given the press against him, is a pretty good result. Even political rivals are praising him. I think history will treat him well on this.

Once again you have evaded the central question of a post that disagrees with you. The link has a series of quotes from Fox news--an organization that has evolved remarkably as new information has come in. I hope you will let us know if you agree with their recent opinions.

Major
03-20-2020, 04:45 PM
Once again you have evaded the central question of a post that disagrees with you. The link has a series of quotes from Fox news--an organization that has evolved remarkably as new information has come in. I hope you will let us know if you agree with their recent opinions.

No I don't. There's a lot of money involved in hyping the Chinese coronavirus. They are jumping on the bandwagon.

Now answer my question, where were you and everyone else for the much worse H1N1 virus? Did the fact that we had a savior as president and a complicit press have anything to do with it?

coolyourjets
03-20-2020, 04:58 PM
No I don't. There's a lot of money involved in hyping the Chinese coronavirus. They are jumping on the bandwagon.

Now answer my question, where were you and everyone else for the much worse H1N1 virus? Did the fact that we had a savior as president and a complicit press have anything to do with it?

https://www.livescience.com/covid-19-pandemic-vs-swine-flu.html

It's science. And yes the dinosaurs existed and no, the earth is not flat.

Major
03-20-2020, 05:11 PM
https://www.livescience.com/covid-19-pandemic-vs-swine-flu.html

It's science. And yes the dinosaurs existed and no, the earth is not flat.

The article proves my point, as of TODAY, the raw numbers for H1N1 was much worse. I know science and I know math. I went to college for engineering.

thinkxingu
03-21-2020, 06:16 AM
Hahahaha!

Lakegeezer
03-21-2020, 08:32 AM
The summer is probably going to be tougher than most people can remember, but in my view, there are bright spots....

More people with second homes in the lakes region will take shelter here, and earlier than usual. Schools that have switched to virtual for the rest of the year mean no waiting until late June to opening up. This will bring more business than normal to the those that are able to stay open.
Unlike previous epidemics, we have high-speed internet available in most areas. This means people can learn what businesses are open and order products and services online. It doesn't make the economy boom, but keeps it from sinking as low as it could have.
The lake is great for social distanced entertainment. The beaches won't be packed, but families can enjoy together time out on the water.
There is hope that the scientific and medical communities will come up with treatments before the summer that while not stopping the virus, lower the risk of it becoming serious.
The storm is still brewing and the lakes region will likely be hit hard, but after it is over, people will be wanting to make up for lost time. There won't be as much disposal income, but the lakes region will be an attractive place to spend what is available.

In the words of Coach Belichick, "It is what it is". Now let's win the game.

gillygirl
03-21-2020, 08:59 AM
The article proves my point, as of TODAY, the raw numbers for H1N1 was much worse. I know science and I know math. I went to college for engineering.

Well, I know science and I know math, too, and I know you can’t compare numbers for a pandemic which has run its course, and one that is still developing. You also can’t ignore everything that you don’t like or agree with. That’s not very scientific.

FlyingScot
03-21-2020, 09:26 AM
The summer is probably going to be tougher than most people can remember, but in my view, there are bright spots....

More people with second homes in the lakes region will take shelter here, and earlier than usual. Schools that have switched to virtual for the rest of the year mean no waiting until late June to opening up. This will bring more business than normal to the those that are able to stay open.
Unlike previous epidemics, we have high-speed internet available in most areas. This means people can learn what businesses are open and order products and services online. It doesn't make the economy boom, but keeps it from sinking as low as it could have.
The lake is great for social distanced entertainment. The beaches won't be packed, but families can enjoy together time out on the water.
There is hope that the scientific and medical communities will come up with treatments before the summer that while not stopping the virus, lower the risk of it becoming serious.
The storm is still brewing and the lakes region will likely be hit hard, but after it is over, people will be wanting to make up for lost time. There won't be as much disposal income, but the lakes region will be an attractive place to spend what is available.

In the words of Coach Belichick, "It is what it is". Now let's win the game.

Agreed on most points. I'm thinking that those who own homes will spend more time at the lake, and those who do not will spend far less, a fraction of last year. If I owned a business dependent on tourist dollars, I'd be estimating the pain of deciding now to stay shuttered vs making the financial commitment to open and then risking a summer with 0-50% of typical revenue.

Like a number of others on this board, I work in drug development. I'm sure they would agree with me that there is zero chance of even an already existing drug to be proven effective and manufactured for all by July 1, 2020. Even July 1, 2021 would be fast.

The Real BigGuy
03-21-2020, 09:33 AM
It's tough, but I make the most of it on weekends. When I'm down here, I'm here to work. The last few days I've had a chance to catch up with the Forum, which as I can tell by the responses to my posts, everyone is thrilled! :D

Personally, I’m glad you have time to input your thoughts. I may not agree with you, and may even think your positions are crazy, but if everyone had the same point of view the forum would be awfully boring. Keep up the ridiculous comments (sorry, I just had to🤪)

Major
03-21-2020, 09:47 AM
Well, I know science and I know math, too, and I know you can’t compare numbers for a pandemic which has run its course, and one that is still developing. You also can’t ignore everything that you don’t like or agree with. That’s not very scientific.

You are right you cannot compare numbers for H1N1 and the Chinese coronavirus until the Chinese coronavirus has run its course. Here are the FACTS to date:

H1N1
Estimated cases worldwide -- 700,000,000 to 1,400,000,000
Deaths worldwide -- 151,700 to 575,400
Estimated cases U.S. -- 1,000,000
Deaths U.S. -- 7,070 to 13,930

Chinese coronavirus
Estimated cases worldwide -- 287,125
Deaths worldwide -- 11,890
Estimated cases U.S. -- 19,823
Deaths U.S. -- 276

These numbers clearly support the notion that perhaps the Chinese coronavirus is not as severe as the H1N1 virus. Perhaps our response was excessive and an overreaction.

Anyway, I ran into a small business owner who had to lay off her entire staff and is looking for loans to keep her business afloat. The toll on small businesses is astronomical. I don't understand why it is such heresy to consider, perhaps, there may have been a better, more metered approach.

gillygirl
03-21-2020, 10:36 AM
You are right you cannot compare numbers for H1N1 and the Chinese coronavirus until the Chinese coronavirus has run its course. Here are the FACTS to date:

H1N1
Estimated cases worldwide -- 700,000,000 to 1,400,000,000
Deaths worldwide -- 151,700 to 575,400
Estimated cases U.S. -- 1,000,000
Deaths U.S. -- 7,070 to 13,930

Chinese coronavirus
Deaths U.S. -- 276

These numbers clearly support the notion that perhaps the Chinese coronavirus is not as severe as the H1N1 virus. Perhaps our response was excessive and an overreaction.

Anyway, I ran into a small business owner who had to lay off her entire staff and is looking for loans to keep her business afloat. The toll on small businesses is astronomical. I don't understand why it is such heresy to consider, perhaps, there may have been a better, more metered approach.

Well, I won’t compare numbers until the Coronavirus has run its course. You have to remember that testing in many countries is still limited, so the estimates are likely very low.

My heart breaks for all the small businesses and people who are seriously financially affected by this. My niece thinks student loans should be forgiven at this point. Mind you, she’s still getting paid while working remotely. If I were up north, I’d smack her in her self-absorbed face.

Lakegeezer
03-21-2020, 06:03 PM
You are right you cannot compare numbers for H1N1 and the coronavirus until the coronavirus has run its course. Here are the FACTS to date:

coronavirus
Deaths U.S. -- 276

The Major’s post got me interested in doing some research. The CDC has a great archive article on the N1H1 flu. https://www.cdc.gov/h1n1flu/cdcresponse.htm.

There are significant differences in the H1N1 pandemic of 2009 and the Covid-19 cases of 2020.

With N1H1, several effective anti-viral drugs that were quickly identified, greatly reducing the fear and need to shut down the economy. About a third of people over 60 were immune, having been exposed to similar viruses along the way. Finally, the government response was quick. Masks and anti-viral drugs were shipping from stockpiles within 10 days of the virus identification. There was more confidence and understanding of how to deal with it, so less panic. Within 5 months, there was a vaccine and by the end of the year, most of the people at greatest risk were protected.

This Covid-19 epidemic is still out of control. No antiviral drugs approved for treatment, shortage of protective gear and testing kits and no known groups with immunity. At this point, it could just vanish, or maybe the scientific community will some up with some solutions, but it seems likely that things will get worse for at least the next month or so. Let’s hope we can reboot the economy soon.

In just eight hours after the Major’s post of Covid-19 global numbers, things are different. Instead of 287,125 global cases, there are 303,816. 16,691 more, or 5.8% more. Instead of 11,890 global deaths, there are 12,996. 1106, or 9% more. In eight hours.

TiltonBB
03-21-2020, 06:19 PM
My niece thinks student loans should be forgiven at this point. Mind you, she’s still getting paid while working remotely. If I were up north, I’d smack her in her self-absorbed face.

Ask your niece if they should forgive mortgages and car loans too. I would be all in!

kawishiwi
03-21-2020, 09:51 PM

So, what you are saying is, we WAIT until covid-19 actually becomes worse than H1N1, THEN we do something about it?

I think this will be what history remembers about Trump...

February 26th, 2020. President Trump: “When you have 15 people, and the 15 within a couple of days is going to be down to close to zero, that’s a pretty good job we’ve done.”

March 20th, 2020. Confirmed cases in the United States rise to 16,064.

MAXUM
03-22-2020, 08:39 AM

Yep it's just Fox News..... just watch how the rest of the media has remained consistent in their reporting as well. No political agenda on display there either. How ironic the last clip is of the master of objectivity himself Jim Acosta.

https://twitter.com/mrctv/status/1238186498433966081

Major
03-22-2020, 09:37 AM
So, what you are saying is, we WAIT until covid-19 actually becomes worse than H1N1, THEN we do something about it?

I think this will be what history remembers about Trump...

February 26th, 2020. President Trump: “When you have 15 people, and the 15 within a couple of days is going to be down to close to zero, that’s a pretty good job we’ve done.”

March 20th, 2020. Confirmed cases in the United States rise to 16,064.

So the only option we had was to destroy a thriving economy? There was no intermediate, or metered option? I'm no genius, but 16,064 seems to be a lot less than over 1,000,000. Is there any potential that the Chinese coronavirus may be less of a crisis than the H1N1 crisis?

erick26
03-22-2020, 12:06 PM
So the only option we had was to destroy a thriving economy? There was no intermediate, or metered option? I'm no genius, but 16,064 seems to be a lot less than over 1,000,000. Is there any potential that the Chinese coronavirus may be less of a crisis than the H1N1 crisis?

Or that the numbers are lower because most people obeyed the social distancing and reduced the spread. Chicken and egg here as people that think we are over reacting will push the case further based on the reduction and we will never know how bad it would have been if we did nothing. Chill for a couple of weeks and keep your distance and let this thing play out. The longer people keep doing their everyday thing the longer it will drag out and the worse the repercussions will be. If they had just shut everything down for 2 weeks in the beginning we would be mostly through this and starting to get back to normal but instead we are stuck in the middle and just pointing fingers at each other. It sucks for everyone - do what you really feel is right as long as you can sleep better at night. I’m taking one for the team and I hope in the long term it’s the right decision.

FlyingScot
03-22-2020, 12:19 PM
Yep it's just Fox News..... just watch how the rest of the media has remained consistent in their reporting as well. No political agenda on display there either. How ironic the last clip is of the master of objectivity himself Jim Acosta.

https://twitter.com/mrctv/status/1238186498433966081

I did not post that just to troll my Fox-ish pen pals on consistency. (I try to refrain from that sort of thing.)

I posted it to push Major and others to recognize that even Fox News asserts that we are in a crisis situation. I hope all of you will come around soon to the current Fox talking points from the video.

Major
03-22-2020, 12:23 PM
I did not post that just to troll my Fox-ish pen pals on consistency. (I try to refrain from that sort of thing.)

I posted it to push Major and others to recognize that even Fox News asserts that we are in a crisis situation. I hope all of you will come around soon to the current Fox talking points from the video.

Nope. I’m more resolute than ever. This is completely overkill, especially in New Hampshire.

erick26
03-22-2020, 12:38 PM
Nope. I’m more resolute than ever. This is completely overkill, especially in New Hampshire.

https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20200322/8fa3abed7f206832b3d590b1eae351a6.jpg

Biggd
03-22-2020, 02:27 PM

You take "live free or die" to the extreme.

Charlie T
03-22-2020, 03:01 PM

Sadly you will never know or be held responsible for the damage you may be doing to others due to your stubbornness, You have dug in and don't appear to even consider any view other than your own. you refuse to put the needs of society over your personal needs and desires.

I understand the need to keep your business alive but consider this, Is your profession to be found in the graphic below?

I too own a business and my plan is to furlough my staff in order to keep them and their families safe. I'll to the best of my ability continue to pay my employees as loyalty is a 2 way street. Those of us who can work remotely from home have an obligation to society to do so.

Please minimize your travel and don't expose others due to your need to be right. With any luck we will keep this somewhat contained and those of you who call it a hoax will get to say "I told you so". The alternative is frightening.

]

Biggd
03-22-2020, 03:29 PM
Sadly you will never know or be held responsible for the damage you may be doing to others due to your stubbornness, You have dug in and don't appear to even consider any view other than your own. you refuse to put the needs of society over your personal needs and desires.

I understand the need to keep your business alive but consider this, Is your profession to be found in the graphic below?

I too own a business and my plan is to furlough my staff in order to keep them and their families safe. I'll to the best of my ability continue to pay my employees as loyalty is a 2 way street. Those of us who can work remotely from home have an obligation to society to do so.

Please minimize your travel and don't expose others due to your need to be right. With any luck we will keep this somewhat contained and those of you who call it a hoax will get to say "I told you so". The alternative is frightening.

]
A parrot doesn't really think for himself. He just repeats what ever comes out of his trainers mouth.

gillygirl
03-22-2020, 05:09 PM
Ask your niece if they should forgive mortgages and car loans too. I would be all in!My sister sarcastically asked about her car loan, and her son reemed her a new one. Needless to say, he got a phone call from me.

Major
03-22-2020, 06:48 PM

As of right now, 0.01% of Americans have tested positive for the Chinese coronavirus. I’m pretty sure I’ve infected no one, nor am I likely to be infected. This is especially true in NH where the rates are much lower. This is a complete overreaction. The numbers support my position.

Major
03-22-2020, 06:51 PM
As of right now, 0.01% of Americans have tested positive for the Chinese coronavirus. I’m pretty sure I’ve infected no one, nor am I likely to be infected. This is especially true in NH where the rates are much lower. This is a complete overreaction. The numbers support my position.

By the way, I look forward to going to my office in Boston tomorrow.

Glendale Deli Boy
03-22-2020, 07:58 PM
I currently live in Hong Kong where we have been dealing with the virus for a couple of months now. Fortunately, Hong Kong was well prepared and moved quickly early on to contain the virus as best as possible. Crucial to their plan was early testing, transparency, quarantining protocols, and reduced social interaction. They asked people to work from home as much as possible, stay off public transportation as much as possible, and wear masks. Today almost 100 percent of folks wear masks when outside or in close quarters with others.

No disrespect intended but had Major’s approach been the prevailing practice two months ago here in HK, it is indisputable that the number of positive cases, strain on the medical system, deaths, and economic damage here would have been far greater. Because HK and its people took action early on they were able to keep restaurants and businesses open, and people are going about their lives and not subject to stay at home orders. That said some small businesses and restaurants have shuttered since there are no tourists and many folks are choosing to stay closer to home.

I pray that we don’t see an Italy type scenario in parts of the US. It is truly horrifying when doctors have to decide who lives and dies based on the number of ventilators they have access to. Hopefully it never gets that bad in the U.S.

Stay safe all. Wishing everybody the best and I can’t wait until this passes and I can get back to the Lake, my favorite place in the world.

ApS
03-22-2020, 08:30 PM
Well, now we've heard it from Hong Kong itself. :eek:

Two new developments:

1) If pressed by unacceptable results after this "sheltering", government has the ability to follow a person who has contracted Covid-19 by cellphone.
Science Magazine:

"...owners of any other phones that recently came close to that phone get notified of their risk of infection and are advised to self-isolate".

(Close=within one-meter distance).

2) An Israeli doctor volunteering in Italy posted, "We're not sending Covid-19 victims over the age of 60 (https://www.timesofisrael.com/liveblog_entry/israeli-doctor-in-italy-says-some-hospitals-not-fully-treating-covid-19-patients-over-60/) to our hospital's ventilators". :eek2:

Glendale Deli Boy
03-22-2020, 09:22 PM
Well, now we've heard it from Hong Kong itself. :eek:

Two new developments:

1) If pressed by unacceptable results after this "sheltering", government has the ability to follow a person who has contracted Covid-19 by cellphone.
Science Magazine:

In Hong Kong anybody arriving from overseas is fitted with a wristband tracker and required to self-quarantine for 14 days at home. They download an app and the government can track whether they break quarantine. This system is effective but might be a bridge too far for the U.S.!!!

JEEPONLY
03-23-2020, 03:54 AM

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8smllfYB9KY

Demoted!

Reilly
03-23-2020, 03:59 AM

Pretty sure & Likely are not positive words ??? Do us all a favor & stay in Boston & pretty sure its safer there & your not likely to be infected

Billy Bob
03-23-2020, 08:00 AM
When you walked into the empty train station did it ever cross your mind that you might be on the wrong side of this issue ?

The Real BigGuy
03-23-2020, 08:10 AM
Let me answer for him🤪: NEVER!

thinkxingu
03-23-2020, 08:57 AM
Well, I mean, if it's empty he's social distancing!

Major
03-23-2020, 09:02 AM
Well, I mean, if it's empty he's social distancing!

Unfortunately, and I'm not making this up, that morning when I entered the Kendall Square station, a meth head was waiting at the kiosk. He at least had the courtesy to ask me if he could jump through behind me. I said I don't care. If you look closely you can see him on the left-hand side of the picture. I have to admit I was a little worried about being so close to him, but I would have felt that way under the threat of Chinese coronavirus or not.

thinkxingu
03-23-2020, 09:14 AM
I thought meth was a backwoods drug?!

The Real BigGuy
03-23-2020, 09:30 AM
MA governor just issued shelter in place order closing all non-essential businesses.

The Real BigGuy
03-23-2020, 09:38 AM
Sorry, it’s a stay-at-home advisory thru 4/7. Still closes non-essential business “according to federal guidelines”

Biggd
03-23-2020, 12:04 PM
That's the straw that broke the camel's back. Major is going to off the rails now.🤣

Hillcountry
03-23-2020, 01:31 PM
I thought meth was a backwoods drug?!

Look up and watch “Breaking Bad” on Netflix...we are binge watching it and in addition, “Better Call Saul” started a new season...9pm Monday’s on AMC!
Great stuff!

Descant
03-23-2020, 01:33 PM

I thought you were going to FL? Trip cancelled?

Major
03-23-2020, 01:50 PM
I thought you were going to FL? Trip cancelled?

Trip got postponed to May 7th. Hopefully things will be okay then.

Wrapping up at work today. We just found out that our building isn't closing, so I will be coming into work after my dentist's and doctor's appointments this week. Most likely next week. That is unless there are armed guards protecting the building! Hard to enforce since essential personnel isn't defined.

Wifi-1
03-23-2020, 03:21 PM
Boy, what some people will risk to say "I told you so", after the fact

FlyingScot
03-23-2020, 03:44 PM

Wrapping up at work today. We just found out that our building isn't closing, so I will be coming into work after my dentist's and doctor's appointments this week. Most likely next week. That is unless there are armed guards protecting the building! Hard to enforce since essential personnel isn't defined.

Thank God the lawyers will be able to get to work

TiltonBB
03-23-2020, 03:46 PM

Why? Do you think that would stop them from billing you at the customary hourly rate?

JEEPONLY
03-23-2020, 03:48 PM

What "things" will be OK?

Mr. V
03-23-2020, 05:17 PM

I am not going to the office daily due to the pandemic.

Besides, out west the courts are closed, people have hunkered down for the duration.

Major
03-23-2020, 05:47 PM

What "things" will be OK?

Mainly the restaurants and Pompano Beach being open.

The Real BigGuy
03-23-2020, 06:07 PM

Not all lawyers. My daughter’s law office is shut down.

Be interesting to see if/how MA enforces the order. A friend of my daughter’s is a pharmacist and has a letter from CVS that reads like driving pass.

CowTimes
03-23-2020, 07:17 PM

For a purported lawyer running a business, you are irresponsible. You said just a couple days ago that you wouldn’t take this seriously until there are 1500 deaths in the US. There was 100 in one day, and everyone (except perhaps you) acknowledges this is going to get much worse before it gets better, and that assumes people are not idiots and start accepting their collective responsibility to their neighbors to stay home.

It is people like you that are causing this to spread beyond the capacity of our medical system and are literally killing people. I hope your doctor’s appointment is not for a preexisting medical condition.

If people would just stay home and let this get under control, we could get through this faster and with less loss of life. But that’s apparently not your concern (until it is, when its too late and hits you or your family).

CowTimes
03-23-2020, 07:30 PM
Hard to enforce since essential personnel isn't defined.

And, by the way, Major, if you are so convinced of the inapplicability of the Governor’s order to you and your disregard for the consensus of the ENTIRE public health community, step out from behind your screen name. Tell us your name and your law firm. If you have the courage of your convictions, I am sure your clients would agree with your decisions and leadership here.

joey2665
03-23-2020, 07:34 PM
For a purported lawyer running a business, you are irresponsible. You said just a couple days ago that you wouldn’t take this seriously until there are 1500 deaths in the US. There was 100 in one day, and everyone (except perhaps you) acknowledges this is going to get much worse before it gets better, and that assumes people are not idiots and start accepting their collective responsibility to their neighbors to stay home.

It is people like you that are causing this to spread beyond the capacity of our medical system and are literally killing people. I hope your doctor’s appointment is not for a preexisting medical condition.

If people would just stay home and let this get under control, we could get through this faster and with less loss of life. But that’s apparently not your concern (until it is, when its too late and hits you or your family).

He is causing the spread? That is a tremendous accusation.

Major is doing nothing wrong and not breaking any laws. His job was deemed essential and he is going to work and taking care of his business.

All he needs to be is vigilant as he goes about work. For you to accuse him is completely off base. Your should go after ALL the essential workers in that case.

CowTimes
03-23-2020, 07:41 PM
He is causing the spread? That is a tremendous accusation.

Major is doing nothing wrong and not breaking any laws. His job was deemed essential and he is going to work and taking care of his business.

All he needs to be is vigilant as he goes about work. For you to accuse him is completely off base. Your should go after ALL the essential workers in that case.

His business is not an essential business. The entire Boston legal community is shut down, and Major decided it doesn’t apply to him. From the governor’s order as to what constitutes essential for lawyers:

Professional services (such as legal and accounting services) and payroll and employee benefit services, when necessary to assist in compliance with legally mandated activities and critical sector services or where failure to provide such services during the time of the order would result in significant prejudice.

The fact is that he can work from home, but chooses not to, which demonstrates the point.

If you are not part of the solution on this, you are the problem.

joey2665
03-23-2020, 07:45 PM
His business is not an essential business. The entire Boston legal community is shut down, and Major decided it doesn’t apply to him. From the governor’s order as to what constitutes essential for lawyers:

Professional services (such as legal and accounting services) and payroll and employee benefit services, when necessary to assist in compliance with legally mandated activities and critical sector services or where failure to provide such services during the time of the order would result in significant prejudice.

The fact is that he can work from home, but chooses not to, which demonstrates the point.

If you are not part of the solution on this, you are the problem.

And you know this? You know his firm and the type of law it practices? You know he can work from home?

That’s a lot to know about a person from some posts on a forum page

Major
03-23-2020, 07:46 PM
And, by the way, Major, if you are so convinced of the inapplicability of the Governor’s order to you and your disregard for the consensus of the ENTIRE public health community, step out from behind your screen name. Tell us your name and your law firm. If you have the courage of your convictions, I am sure your clients would agree with your decisions and leadership here.

Calm down Cow! Geez, what are you going to do? Dox me and call my clients? Lt Gov Dan Patrick (Texas) just issued a statement that summarizes my position on this exactly. Yes we may shorten the curve or whatever metaphor is being bantered about but at what cost? Our children’s and grandchildren’s future?

By the way most of my work is for Raytheon, Schneider Electric and Illinois Tool Works. I highly doubt they would care one bit what you think. Believe it or not they love me!

CowTimes
03-23-2020, 07:49 PM
And you know this? You know his firm and the type of law it practices? You know he can work from home?

That’s a lot to know about a person from some posts on a forum page

Actually, Joey, he said it himself. On a different thread where he lambasted the closing of restaurants, he said that he and his entire firm can work remotely. So hard to see how being in the office can be “necessary.”

joey2665
03-23-2020, 07:57 PM
Calm down Cow! Geez, what are you going to do? Dox me and call my clients? Lt Gov Dan Patrick (Texas) just issued a statement that summarizes my position on this exactly. Yes we may shorten the curve or whatever metaphor is being bantered about but at what cost? Our children’s and grandchildren’s future?

By the way most of my work is for Raytheon, Schneider Electric and Illinois Tool Works. I highly doubt they would care one bit what you think. Believe it or not they love me!

I agree 1000%. We are sacrificing the future on many for the potential benefit of a few.

Major
03-23-2020, 08:01 PM
Actually, Joey, he said it himself. On a different thread where he lambasted the closing of restaurants, he said that he and his entire firm can work remotely. So hard to see how being in the office can be “necessary.”

Paying bills for one thing. Only partners can write checks. Dealing with mail is another. There are countless things that need to be done in the office. We cannot just vacate the office for two weeks. Deadlines don’t go away because of the Chinese coronavirus.

CowTimes
03-23-2020, 08:05 PM
Paying bills for one thing. Only partners can write checks. Dealing with mail is another. There are countless things that need to be done in the office. We cannot just vacate the office for two weeks. Deadlines don’t go away because of the Chinese coronavirus.

Got it. So it is not to provide legal services “when necessary to assist in compliance with legally mandated activities and critical sector services or where failure to provide such services during the time of the order would result in significant prejudice.”

Just to be clear here, the governor’s order is unambiguous, and you’re just choosing to disregard it. So, yes, Joey, he is doing something illegal.

Major
03-23-2020, 08:10 PM
Got it. So it is not to provide legal services “when necessary to assist in compliance with legally mandated activities and critical sector services or where failure to provide such services during the time of the order would result in significant prejudice.”

Just to be clear here, the governor’s order is unambiguous, and you’re just choosing to disregard it. So, yes, Joey, he is doing something illegal.

Certainly failure to perform services in my case would result in significant prejudice, i.e., loss of rights. My work involves critical sector services.

CowTimes
03-23-2020, 08:16 PM
Certainly failure to perform services in my case would result in significant prejudice, i.e., loss of rights. My work involves critical sector services.

This is like arguing with a child and why the public has cynical views of lawyers. Virtually every other law firm of any meaningful size in Boston, including those working with health care clients on issues surrounding the pandemic, are working entirely remotely and have barred lawyers from coming to their physical offices. You don’t need to be in your office to do your legal work, and all you have are thinly veiled excuses to why you are disregarding the governor’s order.

Major
03-23-2020, 08:24 PM
This is like arguing with a child and why the public has cynical views of lawyers. Virtually every other law firm of any meaningful size in Boston, including those working with health care clients on issues surrounding the pandemic, are working entirely remotely and have barred lawyers from coming to their physical offices. You don’t need to be in your office to do your legal work, and all you have are thinly veiled excuses to why you are disregarding the governor’s order.

Why are you so invested in this? What do you care what I do. You live your life and I’ll live mine. If I do something illegal I’m fairly confident that as a white male over 50 the full extent of the law will be applied against me.

All because we disagree with how this is being handled. Please don’t tell my parents that you think I’m childish. They would be so disappointed in me!

CowTimes
03-23-2020, 08:28 PM
Why are you so invested in this? What do you care what I do. You live your life and I’ll live mine. If I do something illegal I’m fairly confident that as a white male over 50 the full extent of the law will be applied against me.

All because we disagree with how this is being handled. Please don’t tell my parents that you think I’m childish. They would be so disappointed in me!

Because what you do doesn’t only affect you. And if you and others still need that explained to you in the context of this pandemic, god help us all.

joey2665
03-23-2020, 08:46 PM
Because what you do doesn’t only affect you. And if you and others still need that explained to you in the context of this pandemic, god help us all.

Oh please. I’m sorry I disagree with sacrificing the many for the possible benefit of the few. If you need the strategy of war explain to you then go back and read a little history on the subject

Major
03-23-2020, 08:46 PM

Right now based on raw numbers and with full knowledge that the Chinese coronavirus hasn’t run its full course this pandemic isn’t as nearly as bad as the H1N1 pandemic. It is a crisis created by media and social media. We did not need to destroy our economy to deal with it. I know not a single person who has the virus. The numbers in Massachusetts and New Hampshire are extremely low. Deaths total 2.

Politicians who have no risk of not getting paid are making decisions that are putting millions of hard working Americans out of work and business. Forgive me if I’m not as easily convinced that shuttering our economy is the best way to deal with this.

I’ve asked this before, show me posts from this Forum or even news articles from 2009 stating that we handled the much worse (at least as of right now) H1N1 pandemic badly. The 1500 number referenced above was the number of American deaths before Obama declared a national emergency. We did not shut down commerce and jeopardize our way of life. You and everyone else should be much more concerned about a national and global economic collapse.

CowTimes
03-23-2020, 08:58 PM
Right now based on raw numbers and with full knowledge that the Chinese coronavirus hasn’t run its full course this pandemic isn’t as nearly as bad as the H1N1 pandemic. It is a crisis created by media and social media. We did not need to destroy our economy to deal with it. I know not a single person who has the virus. The numbers in Massachusetts and New Hampshire are extremely low. Deaths total 2.

Politicians who have no risk of not getting paid are making decisions that are putting millions of hard working Americans out of work and business. Forgive me if I’m not as easily convinced that shuttering our economy is the best way to deal with this.

I’ve asked this before, show me posts from this Forum or even news articles from 2009 stating that we handled the much worse (at least as of right now) H1N1 pandemic badly. The 1500 number referenced above was the number of American deaths before Obama declared a national emergency. We did not shut down commerce and jeopardize our way of life. You and everyone else should be much more concerned about a national and global economic collapse.

Good use of your epidemiology degree! For starters, the death rate is many multiples higher than H1N1. And it is spreading exponentially - each person on average spreads it to two more, and people with no symptoms are spreading it. This makes it fundamentally different than H1N1 and why getting ahead of it is important. By the time this becomes clear to you, we will be Italy.

Major
03-23-2020, 09:15 PM
Italy is the wrong country to benchmark. Korea is a better example. Also the death rate is higher because confirmed cases are low. We don’t have very good information on the denominator.

Answer my question in the closing paragraph.

Also the so-called experts say that man made climate change is an existential threat. You’ll be glad to know I don’t believe them either. Government hacks like the epidemiologists you so highly think of whose best interests are to create a crisis when epidemics like this happen.

I heard a good quote today. You wouldn’t want economists managing a pandemic just like you wouldn’t want epidemiologists managing the economy. That my friend is what is happening. Epidemiologists are running the economy.

CowTimes
03-23-2020, 09:20 PM
Answer my question in the closing paragraph.

I heard a good quote today. You wouldn’t want economists managing a pandemic just like you wouldn’t want epidemiologists managing the economy. That my friend is what is happening. Epidemiologists are running the economy.

When you answer my question of your law firm when you’re callously disregarding the governor’s order.

And I just heard another good quote about not having a lawyer run a public health crisis.

Major
03-23-2020, 09:34 PM
When you answer my question of your law firm when you’re callously disregarding the governor’s order.

And I just heard another good quote about not having a lawyer run a public health crisis.

Figure it out. You’re obviously smarter than everyone else.

CowTimes
03-23-2020, 09:44 PM
Figure it out. You’re obviously smarter than everyone else.

That seems to be our fundamental difference. I don’t think I’m smarter than the entire medical and public health communities.

JEEPONLY
03-24-2020, 12:11 AM
Mainly the restaurants and Pompano Beach being open.

If things need to be "OK", you are acknowledging the problem!

So- why the resistance to doing the right thing?

Major
03-24-2020, 05:42 AM
If things need to be "OK", you are acknowledging the problem!

So- why the resistance to doing the right thing?

If you’ve been following this thread I don’t think it’s the right thing. In fact I think it’s very wrong. There’s not much more to say.

Biggd
03-24-2020, 07:16 AM
I agree 1000%. We are sacrificing the future on many for the potential benefit of a few.

Sent from my iPhone using Winnipesaukee Forum mobile app (http://r.tapatalk.com/byo?rid=92687)Well then we should just shut down the state of NY, since that is where 50% of the cases are, to protect the rest of the country, "Why are we sacrificing the future on many for the potential benefit of a few"?

joey2665
03-24-2020, 07:22 AM
Well then we should just shut down the state of NY, since that is where 50% of the cases are, to protect the rest of the country, "Why are we sacrificing the future on many for the potential benefit of a few"?

First of all New York is a huge and diverse state just like Massachusetts shutting down the whole state is ridiculous upstate in western New York have nowhere near the amount of population that New York City does so your statement is grossly incorrect. Just like I wouldn’t shut down the whole state of Massachusetts if there was an issue in Boston. even if I did agree with shutting down the city which I do not. And yes it’s all New York’s fault.

If you studied your economics you know if we are not back to work very shortly we are going to go into a severe depression with people losing their savings retirement accounts and if it gets bad enough possibly Social Security. We need to get people back to work now

Again this is my opinion you keep asking me the same questions over and over my opinion it’s not gonna change take it or leave it I really don’t care

Biggd
03-24-2020, 07:38 AM
First of all New York is a huge and diverse state just like Massachusetts shutting down the whole state is ridiculous upstate in western New York have nowhere near the amount of population that New York City does so your statement is grossly incorrect. Just like I wouldn’t shut down the whole state of Massachusetts if there was an issue in Boston. even if I did agree with shutting down the city which I do not. And yes it’s all New York’s fault.

If you studied your economics you know if we are not back to work very shortly we are going to go into a severe depression with people losing their savings retirement accounts and if it gets bad enough possibly Social Security. We need to get people back to work now

Again this is my opinion you keep asking me the same questions over and over my opinion it’s not gonna change take it or leave it I really don’t care

Sent from my iPhone using Winnipesaukee Forum mobile app (http://r.tapatalk.com/byo?rid=92687)I was being sarcastic just to show you how self centered your statement is but I'm sure it's not going to change your attitude.
I'm sensing a lot of financial stress. I too have lost a lot of wealth in the past few weeks but I put protecting peoples health ahead of their wealth. If you don't have your health it doesn't matter how much money you have. So yes, we have different views of what's most important in life.

joey2665
03-24-2020, 07:42 AM
I was being sarcastic just to show you how self centered your statement is but I'm sure it's not going to change your attitude.

I'm sensing a lot of financial stress. I too have lost a lot of wealth in the past few weeks but I put protecting peoples health ahead of their wealth. If you don't have your health it doesn't matter how much money you have. So yes, we have different views of what's most important in life.

Please do not tell me I do not value health or value wealth over health. If things get as bad with the economy as they might, remember people and businesses need money to pay for healthcare which many may not be able to do. Then we will have socialized medicine which will be an absolute disaster you will really see our mortality rate drop.

As I said and continue to believe closing the non essentials was a complete overreaction.

FlyingScot
03-24-2020, 08:18 AM
Please do not tell me I do not value health or value wealth over health. If things get as bad with the economy as they might, remember people and businesses need money to pay for healthcare which many may not be able to do. Then we will have socialized medicine which will be an absolute disaster you will really see our mortality rate drop.

As I said and continue to believe closing the non essentials was a complete overreaction.

But all of your posts make it clear that you value wealth over health in this instance. I think you are wrong to do so, but I recognize that there are many people who will suffer economically, including many who will not have enough to eat--this is already happening in the UK as food banks are bare. I am on the board of a nonprofit that is struggling to maintain support for several thousand people as our supply chain is disrupted.

This is a situation where there is no attractive alternative--each of us is forced to to choose a price to pay. More isolation likely means more hungry people. Less isolation likely means more deaths. Both sides need to own up to the sacrifices their positions imply

MAXUM
03-24-2020, 08:23 AM
According to some the biggest threat that this planet faces is global climate change. The leading cause humans. Why not take this opportunity to thin the population and then everyone can live 30 more years instead of the anticipated 11.5. We kill plenty of unborn babies so what's the difference? Doesn't Major and others have the 'right' to control their own body?

I also thought that "social disobedience" was fashionable these days. We've witnessed plenty of rioting in the streets, people getting beat up and hospitalized, law enforcement called pigs, businesses smashed into and stuff stolen, cars being rolled over and set ablaze, and a mob of angry out of control moonbats decrying some useless outrage of the day. If that is acceptable or better put marginalized as such, then the same pass should be afforded to those that choose to continue to work and save not only their business but the jobs of those that work for them.

erick26
03-24-2020, 08:24 AM
But all of your posts make it clear that you value wealth over health in this instance. I think you are wrong to do so, but I recognize that there are many people who will suffer economically, including many who will not have enough to eat--this is already happening in the UK as food banks are bare. I am on the board of a nonprofit that is struggling to maintain support for several thousand people as our supply chain is disrupted.

This is a situation where there is no attractive alternative--each of us is forced to to choose a price to pay. More isolation likely means fewer deaths. Less isolation likely means more hungry people. Both sides need to own up to the sacrifices their positions imply

We are now “stuck in the middle” - I do believe the social distancing will help reduce the pandemic, but coming around to the idea that the way this has been dragged out thus far could have been better. I don’t think reverting back at this point makes sense, but I am very concerned on the economic effect for years to come. I’ve talked to dozens of friends that own small businesses and this is going to be crippling for them and will trickle down and effect many others. I don’t have a solution, but I do hope in the next week or so we see things flatten out and maybe start to get back to regular life before people become rebellious and we have a mutiny on our hands. [emoji22]

joey2665
03-24-2020, 08:31 AM

This is a situation where there is no attractive alternative--each of us is forced to to choose a price to pay. More isolation likely means more hungry people. Less isolation likely means more deaths. Both sides need to own up to the sacrifices their positions imply

You are wrong and many fail to see they go hand in hand. When I speak about wealth and not speaking just about personal wealth of individuals and speaking about the wealth of our economy and our country.You are grossly underestimating the impact of a depressed economy will have on healthcare. If the economy collapsed we will have virtually no healthcare or at best very poor healthcare even socialized. Do you know how many Americans will die do to poor and or socialized medicine unable to receive necessary prescriptions, medical treatments and surgery.

I can assure you it will be more than the Corona Virus. We are mortgaging our future health and economy for today.

Again my opinion and I am not trying to sway anyone. Belief what you want as I will and only the future will tell.

thinkxingu
03-24-2020, 08:34 AM
We are now “stuck in the middle” - I do believe the social distancing will help reduce the pandemic, but coming around to the idea that the way this has been dragged out thus far could have been better. I don’t think reverting back at this point makes sense, but I am very concerned on the economic effect for years to come. I’ve talked to dozens of friends that own small businesses and this is going to be crippling for them and will trickle down and effect many others. I don’t have a solution, but I do hope in the next week or so we see things flatten out and maybe start to get back to regular life before people become rebellious and we have a mutiny on our hands. [emoji22]

Sent from my iPhone using TapatalkAgreed completely. I think in a couple weeks, when we have a better sense of how things work, testing ability, awareness, etc. we need to find a way to move forward.

I'm not an economist, but it appears to me if we go too long with complete shutdown that even those jobs that are "recession/depression proof," like teachers, medical/medicine, energy, will be in jeopardy and that will just crush the economy. At this point, those (and other) jobs are still contributing to the system by spending and it's still not enough to keep many businesses alive.

The Real BigGuy
03-24-2020, 08:34 AM

Not fair! I may not agree with him but, as far as I know, this is still the United States. Don’t think social shaming is appropriate here.

Biggd
03-24-2020, 08:45 AM

Sent from my iPhone using TapatalkI agree we have to get the economy back up and running. We are 9 days into the 15 days of the social distancing order and after the 15 days hopefully we have given the health care industry time to catch up and get ahead of the overload so we don't end up like Italy.
I have a daughter that is an RN and she is sacrificing her health night and day to help people get through this. She is working 24/7 but she's not going to be rich when this is all over. Hopefully she doesn't have to quarantine because of not having enough PP&E to protect herself. There are people sacrificing to keep people safe, not for money.
Anyone that believes in "thinning the herd" for the benefit of the masses should do us all a favor and remove themselves from the equation.

The Real BigGuy
03-24-2020, 08:47 AM

You must not have gotten the latest talking points from the Great Pumpkin. He is no longer using the term “Chinese coronavirus.” You need to be careful not to step out of line!

And by the way, most/all law offices have the same issues with paying bills, answering phones, reading mail. My daughter’s is still shutting down at noon today. Bills paid remotely by their accountant in phone/e-mail collaboration with partners; phones forwarded to a service who is e-mailing messages to the appropriate person. Mail forwarded to a partner for his review/handling/dispersement. So it can be done if you want to follow orders. But alas, you are the Major and majors always felt they were above being responsible for their actions!

Major
03-24-2020, 08:51 AM
Not fair! I may not agree with him but, as far as I know, this is still the United States. Don’t think social shaming is appropriate here.

Thank you RBG!

joey2665
03-24-2020, 08:51 AM
I agree we have to get the economy back up and running. We are 9 days into the 15 days of the social distancing order and after the 15 days hopefully we have given the health care industry time to catch up and get ahead of the overload so we don't end up like Italy.
I have a daughter that is an RN and she is sacrificing her health night and day to help people get through this. She is working 24/7 but she's not going to be rich when this is all over. Hopefully she doesn't have to quarantine because of not having enough PP&E to protect herself. There are people sacrificing to keep people safe, not for money.
Anyone that believes in "thinning the herd" for the benefit of the masses should do us all a favor and remove themselves from the equation.

Who said “thinning the herd” nobody here I’m sure wants people to perish from this disease but the overreacting in my opinion again is going to have a great effect and cost more lives if the economy is not jump started quickly.

The Real BigGuy
03-24-2020, 08:52 AM
And by the way everyone, MA courts are closed until April 6.

CowTimes
03-24-2020, 08:55 AM

Yes, it is the United States where the rule of law governs. And we have a lawyer, of all people, flaunting lawful orders of the governor designed for public safety. Disagree with officials all you want, but let’s get real at some point and stop pretending that this is ok.

Biggd
03-24-2020, 08:57 AM
Who said “thinning the herd” nobody here I’m sure wants people to perish from this disease but the overreacting in my opinion again is going to have a great effect and cost more lives if the economy is not jump started quickly.

Sent from my iPhone using Winnipesaukee Forum mobile app (http://r.tapatalk.com/byo?rid=92687)Post #218, and I've read a few others in the past week. :(

joey2665
03-24-2020, 09:01 AM
Post #218, and I've read a few others in the past week. :(

Please sacrificing the fuel for the benefit of the many does not mean I want to thin the herd or I want anybody to pass away. You can twist my words anyway you want But I never wish anybody ill will. And trust me we keep going down this path and we end up with socialized medicine and a depressed economy will be losing tens of thousands of people.

You can think what you want or smiles what you want I know what I said and what I meant I’m done with this thread

Major
03-24-2020, 09:02 AM
We make decisions as a society to accept known risks. Every year 20,000 to 80,000 Americans die of the flu and about 500,000 people are hosiptalized. We do not shut down our economy to deal with this risk. Every year 35,000 Americans die in car accidents and 3,000,000 are injured. We do not tell people that they can't commute to work or attend events by car because of this risk.

I was speaking to my dad this morning. He's 75 years old and in good health. My mom, unfortunately, is 76 years old has advanced COPD. Contracting the Chinese coronavirus would most likely kill her. (She's in Florida so my wreckless actions ;) won't affect her. Although I went to the dentist today and my temperature was 98.5, so I think I'm okay!) My dad agreed with Lt. Gov. Dan Patrick. His quote "why are we sacrificing our children's and grandchildren's future for a bunch of old people."

I don't want to see anyone die, whether from Chinese coronavirus, H1N1, flu or car accidents. However, our approach to this as a society and a government is completely over the top.

Biggd
03-24-2020, 09:07 AM
Please sacrificing the fuel for the benefit of the many does not mean I want to thin the herd or I want anybody to pass away. You can twist my words anyway you want But I never wish anybody ill will. And trust me we keep going down this path and we end up with socialized medicine and a depressed economy will be losing tens of thousands of people.

You can think what you want or smiles what you want I know what I said and what I meant I’m done with this thread

Sent from my iPhone using Winnipesaukee Forum mobile app (http://r.tapatalk.com/byo?rid=92687)My post wasn't directed at you, Post #218 wasn't yours. Don't take this so personal.

fatlazyless
03-24-2020, 09:15 AM
Lt. Gov. Dan Patrick. His quote "why are we sacrificing our children's and grandchildren's future for a bunch of old people."

More on this quote from Texas Lt Gov Dan Patrick ..... www.nymag.com/intelligencer/2020/03/dan-patrick-seniors-are-willing-to-die-to-save-economy.html ... includes the 1:44 video with Tucker Carlson from March 23, 2020, 8:21-pm and email comments down the page.

Took a look at the Wikipedia profile on Lt Gov Dan Patrick, born April 4, 1950, age-69, and he has no military service in his profile so perhaps he got a medical deferment or a high draft lottery number to avoid serving during the War in Vietnam. Is interesting how the guy who did not serve is now talking about re-starting the nation's business economy asap-pdq and willing to sacrifice some of the elderly to the corona virus.

And ditto that same 'no military service' for Tucker Carlson, born May 16, 1969, age-50.

...... talk about a MAJOR blunder! ....... is best to save lives ....... not Wall St.

TheRoBoat
03-24-2020, 09:46 AM
Some myths and numbers

I have seen a lot of numbers bantered about here, and rather than address the posts individually, I’ll give you a Californian’s perspective.

Forget any social distancing numbers, timeframes, etc, that you have heard. The only number that matters is how long you will be under shelter in place. Complain or disagree all you want, it is almost assuredly going to happen. “The clock” doesn’t start ticking until then.

At that point, you are looking at probably 2-3 weeks minimum, as others have said. Probably much longer on a voluntary basis. And this is the key point - the longer you wait, the longer it will be before you come out of it. Not wait a day now, and it’s a day on the backend - it’s not a one to one trade off.

Forget "the Grandparents” meme. CA Covid Cases:

Ages 0-17: 25 cases
Ages 18-49: 837 cases
Ages 50-64: 442 cases
Ages 65 and older: 415 cases
Unknown: 14 cases

Keep an eye on CA’s numbers, and the numbers of States who waited much longer to declare shelter in place orders. We started the “draconian” measures much earlier. If they work, we will come out earlier as well. Of course a lot of that depends on medical supply availability, etc etc.

Both Bay area and LA health officials have said “the worst is coming”, which in the big picture is not the a bad thing to have happening right now. They imposed stricter restrictions on parks and beaches, since the public was not following guidelines.

Shaming - I won’t say whether I agree or not, I will say it is prevalent in CA. Prediction - this guy’s business is over - https://www.latimes.com/california/story/2020-03-23/businesses-open-coronavirus-shutdown-orders-quarantine-shaming

Major
03-24-2020, 10:08 AM
I'm curious, what is being done about the huge homeless encampments in LA and SF? A society that allows this type of behavior and the diseases that it spreads (most of which were eradicated a long time ago) should not be too concerned about the Chinese coronavirus. My guess is that the Chinese coronavirus is running rampant in these homeless encampments. As Maxum stated above, we tolerate this type of way more dangerous social disobedience. In fact, I wouldn't say we tolerate it, we actually enable it. And I'm being chastised because I think it's an overreaction and I want to live my life.

TheRoBoat
03-24-2020, 10:19 AM
...is obviously a huge concern to health officials. They are vulnerable and arguably the greatest threat to overwhelm the system.

I would suggest you keep an eye on it, as the same dynamics might be playing out at LRGH in the very near future.

Ditto NYC.

The Real BigGuy
03-25-2020, 08:45 AM
Major, I’d be curious to hear what your answer to the encampments are?

The Real BigGuy
03-25-2020, 08:54 AM
FLL, I take offense at your reference to military service as a criteria for having an opinion. (Maybe not if it was because of a draft avoidance scam.). I happened to end up with 363 my year and was never called to serve. A lot of politicians, maybe even a majority by now, don’t have military service. It shouldn’t preclude them from having an opinion whether we like it or not.

(I wonder if senility is setting in. Starting a conversation with FLL???)

Biggd
03-25-2020, 09:02 AM

Sent from my iPhone using Winnipesaukee Forum mobile app (http://r.tapatalk.com/byo?rid=92687)Oh, this should be good! :eek:

Major
03-25-2020, 11:32 AM

I would do just what Mayor Giuliani did in NYC -- enforce the law. Arrest or institutionalize them. I would support building more prisons to deal with the homeless issue. Just as I would support more prisons to deal with criminal behavior. We are a nation of laws, not a nation of men.

Mr. V
03-25-2020, 11:45 AM
Arrest or institutionalize them. I would support building more prisons to deal with the homeless issue.

Oh, really?

Just what CRIME have all the homeless committed?

Let me guess: you believe that it doesn't matter whether or not they committed a crime, you just want them out of sight?

The courts disagree with you, they say you can't do it, but then you already know that.

joey2665
03-25-2020, 11:51 AM
I would do just what Mayor Giuliani did in NYC -- enforce the law. Arrest or institutionalize them. I would support building more prisons to deal with the homeless issue. Just as I would support more prisons to deal with criminal behavior. We are a nation of laws, not a nation of me.

Unfortunately the current nyc mayor has let 300 prisoners free and set to let another 300 go in the name of the virus. It is amazing how we have become a country of no laws enforced in our big cities. There is no accountability any longer.

FlyingScot
03-25-2020, 12:06 PM
I would do just what Mayor Giuliani did in NYC -- enforce the law. Arrest or institutionalize them. I would support building more prisons to deal with the homeless issue. Just as I would support more prisons to deal with criminal behavior. We are a nation of laws, not a nation of me.

Though I would not use this language, I sort of agree with your point. NYC has many more homeless people than LA has, but does not have California's "homeless issue"--95% of NYC's homeless are "institutionalized" in shelters, vs something like 25% in LA; plus NY has a lot more social services to help them get back on their feet. I think LA should build more shelters.

Major
03-25-2020, 06:25 PM
Though I would not use this language, I sort of agree with your point. NYC has many more homeless people than LA has, but does not have California's "homeless issue"--95% of NYC's homeless are "institutionalized" in shelters, vs something like 25% in LA; plus NY has a lot more social services to help them get back on their feet. I think LA should build more shelters.

We have a breakthrough! Hell has frozen over. You made my day FlyingScot! I would support building more shelters.

lakewinnie
03-26-2020, 07:55 AM
Here's the latest down here in CT:

"Fishing season opened in Connecticut Wednesday, a few weeks earlier than usual, in an effort to shrink the size of crowds that typically gather on opening day in April. Anglers are encouraged to practice social distancing and remain six feet apart."

fatlazyless
03-26-2020, 08:28 AM
Here in NH, the lakes up north and smaller lakes here & there still have enough ice to support fishing through the ice til March 31 and you can still do your social distancing all alone with a soothing bottle of Jack Daniels on the ice.

Just don't go without your foam noodle belt worn under your coat, out of sight, so people don't actually see you wearing the noodle or the bottle of jack.

The Real BigGuy
03-26-2020, 02:26 PM
Prison??? When did it become a crime to be homeless? There but for the grace of god goes you & me.

TheRoBoat
03-27-2020, 08:42 AM
has been taking shape over the last week.

Here are the latest plans. https://www.latimes.com/homeless-housing/story/2020-03-27/coronavirus-homeless-shelters-california-cities-confusion

Beauport
03-27-2020, 09:15 AM
I suspect we can all agree that we hope our families and loved ones never catch the virus in the first place. I found this video incredibly helpful and optimistic about avoiding it. My hope is that we can all emerge from this healthy so we can argue further on the forum :rolleye1:

It is long but well worth it...an ICU doctor talking to friends and family about how to live your life and still stay healthy.

Seems like I cannot post the link, but if you go to Vimeo and find video #399733860 that is it.

https://vimeo.com/399733860

Hillcountry
03-27-2020, 09:20 AM
Prison??? When did it become a crime to be homeless? There but for the grace of god goes you & me.

“Homeless” is not the crime...try loitering, littering, blocking a public way, unlawful use of drugs, prostitution, deficating/exposing in public to name just a few.