Go Back   Winnipesaukee Forum > Winnipesaukee Forums > General Discussion
Home Forums Gallery Webcams Blogs YouTube Channel Classifieds Calendar Register FAQDonate Members List Today's Posts

Old 09-09-2005, 08:32 AM   #1
fatlazyless

Default Loon Population

There's not a single boat out there beyond buoy #3 right now, and also there are no cries of the loon out there either. Where - o - where did the loons all go to? Usually, they come out of hiding after Labor Day and their screechy cry carries very far.

I could not find that article in Wednesday's Union Leader, written by Frank Marino. It was an excellent article about the decline of the Winnipesaukee loonie birds. I thought it was in the Wednesday Union Leader, but maybe it was in Tuesday's or in the Citizen or the Concord Monitor. If anyone can find it and post a link, I believe that it would be of interest to many here.
fatlazyless is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2005, 10:10 AM   #2
DRH

Default Loons Still At The Weirs

We went over to the Weirs yesterday by boat and there were two loons near the public docks. We were just floating out about 200' from the docks and one of the loons came up not 20' from our boat. He looked at us and then proceeded to preen himself. We'd never been so close to a loon before, and (of course) I didn't have my camera! We then proceeded slowly by the Weirscam and waved. It was a beautiful day to be out on the water, and we practically had the lake to ourselves.
Old 09-09-2005, 10:13 AM   #3
TomC

Default Many loons in Moultonboro, too

Last weekend I saw a group of 9 swimming together and doing their socialization thing that they do...
TomC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2005, 10:35 AM   #4
PROPELLER

I have seen several adults all around the lake all summer, not many chicks though. I recall reading that there were fewer chicks this year.

I would not be too concerned yet it was only 1 season. If it continues then maybe there should be a concern. The Loon Preservation Society was going to try & research why there were fewer chicks. It could be any number of things.
PROPELLER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2005, 01:10 PM   #5
fatlazyless

I sure do really wish that some all persona here would be kind enuf to go & find that loonie bird article by Frank Marino and post up a courtesy link for us courious types. One memorable paragraph that I do recall is where he asks how will the poor little baby loonie birds possibly survive? For example, over by their nesting home in Black Cove many have been ignorantly run down and killed by some large, high powered boats, that have great difficulty in even seeing those tiny little helpless loonie bird babies, what with their boat's oversized bow area and and its' inherant "need for speed." Please, someone, a link to this informative report.
fatlazyless is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 09-09-2005, 01:26 PM   #6
SIKSUKR

I knew the "gofast boat" thing was going to come out in this thread.
Old 09-09-2005, 01:46 PM   #7
Paugus Bay Resident

Union Leader

Didn't know Frank was a loon expert From what I've read, though no one knows for sure, the down population this year probably resulted from all the rain (high water) we had this spring.
Paugus Bay Resident is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2005, 02:17 PM   #8
Woodsy

Wow... thats a pretty good stretch... linking the loon population to speeding boats...

Woodsy
Woodsy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2005, 03:21 PM   #9
PROPELLER

Frank seems to indicate he witnessed the Loon Chick get run down by a speeding boater. Did he actually witness it first hand or is he just guessing? And what does he mean by speeding? 20 mph, 30 mph or over 45 mph.

The article I read concerning the lower number of chicks this year indicated that it was unknown why the numbers were down. Does Frank know something the Loon Preservation Society & Fish & Game does not? The numbers were down for this one year. It may be nothing to be concerned about. Next year could be different or the year after that. It may also have nothing to do with boating & other activities. If in fact that 1 chick was hit by a boat, thats just 1, it does not explain why the number of chicks is down this season.

If you review the Black Cove thread last year regarding the no rafting petition for Black Cove, I asked how no rafting was going to help the Loon population but that question conveniently was never answered. Now we know the answer. According Frank in this new article on 9/7/05, the problem was dogs on anchored boats not rafting.

There was also was an article in that Black Cove thread last year that quoted a Black Cove resident as saying that it looked like a skyline with the rafting boats on some days. I suspect that was a big reason Black Cove residents did not want rafting.

For all we know the snapping turtle population exploded this year & that is why the Loon chick numbers are down. Snapping turtles love baby Duck & Loon chicks. I suppose the decline of the Loon population on Lake Winnipesaukee has nothing to do with all the developed shoreline seeing how their nesting areas are no longer accessible.

If Frank is truly concerned for the decline of the Loon on Lake Winnipesaukee & Black Cove, maybe he would be willing to donate his property & turn it into a Loon sanctuary. Then again I'm sure his response would be "its needed but not in my back yard"
Old 09-09-2005, 11:06 PM   #10
ApS

Here's a link from the Boston Globe. They copied it from Foster's Democrat apparently.
http://www.boston.com/news/local/new...straight_year/

It's certainly conceivable: I wrote last year about a loon suddenly surfacing in front of my sailboat -- and my getting wet by the loon's sudden departure.

As a kid, I used to speed towards them -- and they would immediately dive. (And never resurface where you'd think they would).

Loons seem to be oblivious to approaching boats today. They will preen themselves with all manner of boat traffic passing close by.
ApS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2005, 09:17 AM   #11
gtxrider

Default Albatross.... Albatross....

Interesting article?
Is it lead, is it algee, is it boats or are they just not in the mood?

I did not know that Loons are kin to the penguin and albatross. "Albatross its a bloody sea bird!"
gtxrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2005, 04:48 AM   #12
Mink Islander

Default Loons are coastal birds too!

They winter on the Cape shore -- part of why the population is so down is that fuel oil barge leak a few years ago that killed many.
Mink Islander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2005, 02:55 AM   #13
Misty Blue

Default Loons in Braun Bay

We haven't seen any chicks (loons that is) in the Bay for two years but on Monday I saw two immatures cruis'n the bay so I figure that someone must be doing the tango.

Misty Blue
Misty Blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2005, 10:46 AM   #14
obie

Default The Poor Loons!

There is a Loon that nests around Plummers Point on Paugus Bay. It was there early on in the season and has not been around much lately. The way the boat traffic "flies" through that area which is one of the narrowest parts of Paugus Bay makes one wonder how long a Loon could survive. The boats that are docked around there constantly take a beating and the docks are being destroyed. One can only wonder what damage is being done to any Loons that reside in the area.
obie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2005, 07:01 PM   #15
Silver Duck

Smile

Has anybody conducted a census of the adult loon population this year? Maybe I'm just lucky, but it is a very rare weekend that I don't see and/or hear at least two or three of them.

And, not to be heretical, but they really don't seem to mind boat traffic all that much (except perhaps when they're nesting).

I've even seen them over by the Weirs in boat traffic that gave me a Maalox moment , and in Meredith by the town docks during the antique boat show just to name a couple of busy times for boat traffic! They just sort of went about feeding with no apparent concern.

Silver Duck
Silver Duck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2005, 07:30 PM   #16
DRH

Smile Lots of Loons Today

We took a boat ride up through Moultonborough Bay today, almost all the way up to Lees Mill, and we were amazed at the number of loons we saw. We spotted them in a number of locations, usually in pairs. When we came back through Moultonborough Bay at about 3pm, in the general vicinity of Garnet Point and Goose Egg Rock (just before Light 12) we saw two groups of 4 loons each. We stopped the boat but before I could snap a photo they all dove. These were the most loons we've seen in a single day while out on the water.

Last edited by DRH; 09-13-2005 at 08:55 PM.
DRH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2005, 09:15 AM   #17
PROPELLER

I have seen several loons over the summer also but not in big groups as DRH did. From what I have read & observed over the years you are more likely to see larger groups this time of year because they gather together to migrate just like ducks do. I have seen ducks gather in large groups & practice lining up & taking off. Maybe that is what the Loons are doing also.

As far as the Loons not minding boat traffic, I also have observed this but thats not a good thing I don't think. As with any wild animal its not good to become used to human activity to the extent that they approach you or are not afraid of you. Its better if they are afraid of humans & they stay away. They are less likely to be injured or killed by boats. Also humans will not be able to feed them if they stay away.

It drives me crazy when I see people feeding ducks. Its not only because of hurting the purity of the water but they will not be able to fend for themselves if they expect hand outs

Last edited by PROPELLER; 09-14-2005 at 09:21 AM.
Old 09-16-2005, 03:38 PM   #18
NHBUOY

There are PLENTY of Loons in Cummings cove ALL the time...I say we ban them because they keep me awake at night with their CONSTANT "toodling"!!!..lol... ...From what I see, the loons seem to be everywhere & in larger & larger numbers...Sounds like a wee bit 'o' propaganda to me...
NHBUOY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2005, 04:28 PM   #19
Dog's Ear

We have many loons around our place on Whortleberry. Almost every day a group of 9 or more are out in front of our place. We hear them during the night and early in the morning. Sometimes they are so noisy they wake us up.
Dog's Ear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2005, 10:24 AM   #20
KonaChick

Just because you see plenty of adult loons doesn't mean the chick population is plentiful.
KonaChick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2005, 02:48 AM   #21
Cobalt 232

Default Loons and more Loons

I was in Duck NC on the Outer Banks this past April and was amazed at the number of Loons down there. I must have seen a hundred of them floating in the Atlantic in groups of 8 or more.

As far as up here I too have seen groups of 10 or more by Cow and Little Bear recently. Last weekend I saw about 6 adolescent loons together in Meredith Bay on Sunday morning.
Cobalt 232 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2005, 05:17 AM   #22
Misty Blue

Default Loons and people

Propeller

I see your point and in general would fully agree with you that the less contact critters have with humans the better. Hovever I have a feeling that loons getting used to and living closer with humans is a good thing on the Lake. Here is my point.

Years ago loons were very skidish and also very rare on the Lake. If you were out in a boat and happened to see a loon (again a rare sighting) the thing would dive and hide before you got within a quater mile of it. The loon center warned to stay away from loons especially when they are on nest because they will become scared and run, often abandoning the eggs or chicks. I have never seen this but I have heard of it.

Today loons are more comfortable with humans and also much more common. You hardly can take a boat ride without seeing at least one of em'.

Loons have been around since the stone age which proves that they are adaptable. My guess is that their shy ways did not help their breeding potential and so they have adapted to the intrusion caused by you and me.
This adaptation is bringing them back.

Our job is to give them their space and then get up at dawn and listen.

Misty Blue
Misty Blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2005, 08:06 AM   #23
Onshore

"If you were out in a boat and happened to see a loon (again a rare sighting) the thing would dive and hide before you got within a quater mile of it." - Misty Blue. The reason this doesn't happen as much now is that there is no where left to run. Lets face it, a loon can only hold it's breath for so long. It has to come up eventually and there aren't many places where they can come up and not be within 1/4 mile of a boat... Except maybe the middle of the broads and there's little to no food there.

Nothing about the breeding potential of Loons has changed. A pair can still only lay 2, maybe 3, eggs a year. However, with the increase in boating, human (and pet) activity and building along the shore the "survival potential" of Loons is greatly reduced. The problem is mortality and "getting used" to human activity isn't going to help. If anything it puts the young at further risk. Their shyness is what keeps them alive. There segment of the boating population that shows no regard for the needs of the species. I have been in boats with people whose attitude is "when we get too close they will just dive." The problem is that you can't see a chick riding on it's parent's back until you are already too close and the chick can't dive. The adult will eventually abandon the chick if it must to save itself but the chick has no means of escape. Unfortunately the Loons have no good way of identifying which humans are the dumb ones until it is too late. The only safe option is avoidance of all of us. The problem with that is that there are fewer and fewer places for them to hide or brood away from human activity. Part of the reason that people perceive higher numbers is that as more and more shoreline is developed, particularly in the Moultonborough and Center Harbor pairs are forced to leave their normal brooding areas and search for new ones. They are being forced out of the coves, away from the shores and into open deeper waters where you are more likely to see them. There aren't more of them, they are just becoming concentrated in smaller areas.

If there is any good news about the Loon population it is that they are only listed as "state-threathened." There are healthy, stable populations elsewhere. If they disappear from Winnipesaukee they will continue survive someplace else. The only true loss will be ours.
Onshore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2005, 09:59 AM   #24
Grant

Default Depends Where you Look, I Guess

When I read about the reported decline in Winnipesaukee's loon population this year, I was actually somewhat surprised -- based on my own local observations. There were more loons seen and heard in our part of the Lake this year than any year I can remember. Over July 4th weekend, I spotted a group of TEN cruising together from Melvin Bay toward 19 Mile Bay -- unfazed by early morning boat traffic. Later in the season, I saw another large group. Plus, as usual, we saw multiple "lone loons" diving along the shore every day. And at night we heard multiples calling and 'laughing' and crying all night -- near and far. So, despite the encroachment on their territory and the ever-increasing boat traffic, these observations led me to believe that there might have been an increase.
Old 09-22-2005, 11:28 AM   #25
Onshore

Please don't take this wrong, I swear this isn't meant to be rude, but are you sure they were Loons and not Mergansers. I only ask because it would be EXTREMELY unusual to see that many Loons together in early to mid-summer, even if the population numbers were high. Generally they will not gather unless staging to migrate. It is outside the realm of possibility to have a gathering of non-mating adults, but seeing as many as 10 would be odd.
Old 09-22-2005, 11:40 AM   #26
Grant

Default Nope...Loons

Nope -- definitely not Mergansers (although we see a lot of mom & babies/youngsters parading along the shore each summer -- often as many as 15). These were no doubt common loons. You could tell right away, but since I'd never seen so many together at once (let alone more than two or three), I picked up the binoculars and got a good look, because the first thought was "Mergansers." Been on the Lake 45 years, and never saw so many together...and probably never will again! Granted, they were spread out over an area of, say, 20 yards by 20 yards, sometimes more as they drifted along, but they were pretty much hanging together, and definitely loons. It was over July 4th weekend, and my mom saw them with me. About 6:30 AM. It was amazing.
Old 09-22-2005, 12:16 PM   #27
Onshore

I guess we can't argue with mom. You are very lucky and I'm very jealous. Would have been cool to see.
Old 09-22-2005, 12:58 PM   #28
Grant

Default Loony

Like I said, very unusual, and they stayed together long enough to travel the better part of mile...just cruising along.

It reminded me of a photograph on display at the Loon Center in Moultonboro in which a group of 14-16+ loons were shown together...not sure where. I seem to recall the photo being taken late in the season, and it was taken from a bit of a distance...looked like it was taken from a porch or from within a lakefront residence. Regardless, that photo came to mind when I saw this that morning.
Old 09-22-2005, 01:41 PM   #29
MJM

We also noted an increased number of Loon sightings this year in Wolfeboro. And one time we saw a group of four together, (not too far from a certain Governor's place), and remarked how we are accustomed to normally seeing them alone. We love those Loons!
MJM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2005, 02:04 PM   #30
PROPELLER

Never saw more than 2-3 together on Winnipesaukee but 10 years ago on a secluded lake north of Skowhegan Maine I witnessed a congregation of at least 12 if not more. This was middle of August, just floating around not doing anything.
Old 09-22-2005, 04:09 PM   #31
KBoater

Default today

I saw 3 (mom dad, and young one) today in Winter Harbor. Another boat got very close and I watched as they took pictures with evryone in the boat on one side. The boat was close to taking on water. They proceeded to drift into a marker and onto rocks. They lifted their engine and eventually get off. This is a bonehead thing. The loons just swum away. I guess they have more sense than humans.
Old 09-26-2005, 03:01 PM   #32
Mink Islander

Default Group of 5 on Sunday

Saw five in a tight group while fishing on Sunday morning over near Cattle Landing. At least one was a juvenile. The other four looked like adults. Stopped and watched them from 50 ft away for about 5 minutes.
Mink Islander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2005, 07:15 PM   #33
ApS

I photographed a gathering of seventeen about six years ago. They were clearly excited about the change of feathers (molt) that was changing them, and there was lots of "horseplay".

For those far from Winnipesaukee, here's a site that will let you listen in on their vocalizations. ("Yodel", "Hoot", "Wail", "Tremolo"). http://www.geocities.com/jjdox/Loons/loons.html

Also this excerpt from the site:

Quote:
"Because of their frequent encounters with humans, especially during the breeding season, Common Loons have disappeared from some areas along the southern fringes of their breeding range and are threatened by recreational and residential development along lakeshores across much of their range. Common Loons are designated as either "threatened" or a "species of special concern" in much of New England...Among the reasons for their decline in these regions are loss of nesting habitat to shoreline development, the hazards of coexistence on lakes traversed by powered watercraft...."
Some are very tolerant of humans: Friday, one surfaced off my dock just ten feet away and, unconcerned, paddled past before diving again.
ApS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2005, 08:32 AM   #34
xomycatsxo

You beat me to it.

My in-laws (who live on S. Kenny Shore) went out w/ a couple friends after they heard there was a nest. They are huge Loon lovers and wanted to take pictures but I guess they didn't see any when they went out. I don't know the whole story but I know they came back disappointed.

Loons are absolutely out and about on Lake Wentworth - no doubt. We've seen them so many times and a few weeks ago, we were at the shore and I think it was 3 or 4 of them just came swimming by- about 10-15' from the dock! They've owned their house for 20 years and it was the first time my husband EVER saw that happen.

Hehe, it's funny because my husband does loon calls. We were out on the jetski and saw some ... so we stopped and when he did it - they kept calling back!

I'm from the city so meeting my husband and becoming a part of the family has really opened me up to new things- and learning about Loons has been a fascinating thing! If I can get any pictures of them (of course that's a long shot, but you never know)- I'll post them.

Have a great day!

Quote:
Originally Posted by MJM
We also noted an increased number of Loon sightings this year in Wolfeboro. And one time we saw a group of four together, (not too far from a certain Governor's place), and remarked how we are accustomed to normally seeing them alone. We love those Loons!
xomycatsxo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2005, 11:51 AM   #35
Finder

Default Loon Calls

"Hehe, it's funny because my husband does loon calls. We were out on the jetski and saw some ... so we stopped and when he did it - they kept calling back! "

Most of the literature advises against this.
Finder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2005, 11:52 AM   #36
xomycatsxo

Gosh, I've never heard that before but very curious to know why?

Thanks!

**Edit - I've been on google for the past hour trying to research this. I've been on conservation group site's, etc. and found NOTHING whatsoever. If it was that common of an issue, I would think I'd have found it by now? Any insight would be great, thanks!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Finder
"Hehe, it's funny because my husband does loon calls. We were out on the jetski and saw some ... so we stopped and when he did it - they kept calling back! "

Most of the literature advises against this.
Spay or neuter your cat. One female and her kittens can theoretically produce 420,000 cats in seven years, according to the U.S. Humane Society.

Last edited by xomycatsxo; 09-27-2005 at 03:56 PM.
Old 09-27-2005, 01:57 PM   #37
Dave R

I have seen abundant loons on other lakes in NH and Maine this year too. More than I have ever seen in the past. Does not look like a declining population to me. Time will tell. I hope they thrive.

That said...

Will anyone care about loons when the sun turns into a red giant and vaporizes the inner planets (including earth) of our solar system a few million years from now?
Dave R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2005, 04:30 PM   #38
Bubba

Default Another Loon groups sighting ...

in Chestnut Cove on Sunday. A group of six. Someone else on the boat commented how they seem to be getting used to humans more and more.

Saw a sinlge Loon by that certain Govener's place Sunday morning as well. The Loon just went about his business of fishing like we weren't there.
Bubba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2005, 04:30 PM   #39
Puck

Will anyone care about us?
Puck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2005, 08:03 PM   #40
Finder

I heard about it on a record of ,and about loon calls. This site has pros and cons of using recorded calls... http://wildlife.state.co.us/Colo_Wil...0to%20call.htm
Finder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2005, 10:18 PM   #41
xomycatsxo

After reading this particular article, I'm not sure I totally agree. The start of that article states:

"using calls to locate owls or other secretive birds is unnecessary and not recommended"

I don't think I'd consider Loons to be 'secretive'. I don't really see the harm in it, after reading the cons (and considering all my research today that came up with nothing). It may be true w/ certain birds but when a Loon is in the water, just swimming around - I can't see any harm in it whatsoever. He's also not using tapes, he's using his hands and the sound is identical - which I know is comparable to tapes, but still different. He calls two or three times, I'm sure a tape is .. well, sounds like a broken one! Also, he almost always calls when we either 1) see them or 2) hear them out on the lake.

Thank you for the link - I appreciate the insight!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Finder
I heard about it on a record of ,and about loon calls. This site has pros and cons of using recorded calls... http://wildlife.state.co.us/Colo_Wil...0to%20call.htm
Spay or neuter your cat. One female and her kittens can theoretically produce 420,000 cats in seven years, according to the U.S. Humane Society.