Go Back   Winnipesaukee Forum > Winnipesaukee Forums > Boating
Home Forums Gallery Webcams Blogs YouTube Channel Classifieds Calendar Register FAQDonate Members List Today's Posts

Old 05-10-2007, 10:40 AM   #1
Wolfeboro Matt

Default first sail boat?

Hi all,

I've been toying with the idea for some time of getting myself a small sailboat. Growing up I used to sail sunfish or sailfish all the time (the Windrifter used to have one or two, and at boy scout and day camps). That's what I would be looking for, but I don't know anything about what to look for. Can anyone make any recommendations?

I'd want it big enough for at least one adult and two (young) kids, maybe for two adults two kids - do sunfish/sailfish come that big?

I'd definitely be looking for used, and at the lower end of the price spectrum, until we figure out if the kids like it. What price range would I be looking at?

Does anywhere on the lake rent something like this?

I remember back in the late 70's early 80's we'd sail the thing back and forth in the middle of Wolfeboro Bay. Hard to see that being possible nowadays (at least on the weekends).

Thanks all!
Wolfeboro Matt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2007, 12:03 PM   #2
JayDV

As a young teen I enjoyed sailing in a Widgeon that was owned by a family on the island where we stayed. The O'Day Widgeon was labelled a great family day sailer back in the mid 60's. Us kids would tool around for hours. It seats 4 and I'm sure it can handle about 400 lbs so mom, dad and 2 kids would be great.

Craigslist.com had a posting for boat and trailer out of R.I. I don't know if out of your range, but ...

http://providence.craigslist.org/boa/321898015.html

Happy sailing
JayDV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2007, 06:44 PM   #3
Knomad

I had a O'Day Widgeon - great beginner's boat - almost impossible to heel all the way over. Another option would be the O'Day Javlin - 14' - sightly larger.
Knomad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2007, 07:12 PM   #4
Lakegeezer

Default Look at used boats

Used sailboats teach you a lot. There may be work to do, but customizing the boat as you restore it can be fun. Weight is a big factor. Do you want to trailer it? If the boat weights more than 2500 lbs your tow vehical may cost more than the boat did. A real heavy boat gets into real heavy costs at your friendly marina. A nice light daysailor is about 1200-1500 lbs, is easily towed, fast to set up and there are lots of used craft to choose from. If you can get a Mercury or Oday Daysailor, you will be happy. Check Fay's Marina for their used inventory. There is usually something there that makes me drool, ready to forsake my current craft. Daysailor style sailboats are good for a day trip all around the lake, weather permitting. You may want a small motor to move the sailboat into harbors or come home after the wind has died. Small boats only need a few horsepower. Go with the smallest fourstroke you can find. Electric motors are available, but the batteries weight can make a light boat unbalanced. The most important thing is to get the boat quickly, before the summer wind doldrums hit and get some hours of sailing in.
Old 05-10-2007, 10:07 PM   #5
sky_nh

Default The O'Day Daysailer

Hi, great to hear that you are interested in sailing.

About three summers ago I bought an O'Day Daysailer for $1500. It was built in 1985 and came with a trailer and a new 3 hp outboard. It's just under 19 feet. I had never sailed before. I took five hours of lessons from an instructor who worked out of Fay's (I think he is gone from there now) and have had a great time with it ever since.

The Daysailer has its own owner's group which has been very helpful.

The Daysailer is tons of fun. I usually sail with one other adult, but there is room for four and a little cubby in front to store things. Last summer I rigged it so that I could sail alone. For me it's the perfect boat -- not too small but large enough to feel safe and roomy enough to have a friend or two on board.

I like having the little outboard so that I can get away from all the "traffic" near the shoreline before I hoist my sails.

The first two summers I kept my boat at Ames. Last summer I just towed her down when I wanted to go out. It's a little controversial around here to bring it up, but I always try to sail during the week to avoid the power boats crowding the lake on the weekends. It's nicer during the week: quieter, more relaxed.

Let me know if I can answer any questions about the Daysailer.
sky_nh is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 05-11-2007, 09:16 AM   #6
ApS

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wolfeboro Matt
"...I'd want it big enough for at least one adult and two (young) kids, maybe for two adults two kids - do sunfish/sailfish come that big? I'd definitely be looking for used, and at the lower end of the price spectrum, until we figure out if the kids like it. What price range would I be looking at?
You'll want a trailer ($300+) for anything larger than the car-toppable Sunfish.

The Sunfish is 14-feet and too small for 2/2 IMHO. The Sailfish (wood) is the same hull size, but has a smaller sail—and not a bad choice for our fickle lake winds.

The Minifish—smaller yet—shares the smaller sail and doesn't require NH registration. Two people won't be going very fast on it, though!

Even the new "Bigfish" looks too small for 2/2. (Simple Lateen rig, like Sunfish, but at 16-feet, and $4000 new).

Widgeon's excellent, but check out some of the New England racing websites of Windmills, Snipes, Lasers, and Thistle classes: they tend to hold their value if the kids opt for a Jet-Ski later. I found the Laser very tippy sailed solo, but my neighbors have a pair of Lasers and zip around in winds that kept the powerboats home! (With 2 aboard each boat).

AMF made a run of Sunfish at one time and also manufactured the "Puffer". The Puffer seats 2/2 well, and is available used—with trailer—for just ~$1000. It can do extra duty as a rowing dinghy.

If you're back to getting a Sunfish (available from about $350 complete), there's a Sunfish forum that can answer all your questions—even what class of sailboat to move up to!
http://www.sunfishforum.com/
Old 05-11-2007, 11:32 AM   #7
Island-Ho

Default Day Sailer & Mariner

If I'm not mistaken, the day sailer is about 16 feet in length. The ODay Mariner, very similar to the Rhodes 19 but with a small cabin, is the Oday 19 footer. The Mariner is a good day sailer for the lake, and has a nice cabin for the sleepy kids. It does weigh quite a bit more than the day sailer, with the extra 3 feet. I started out with a day sailer, and then moved up to the Mariner.
Island-Ho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2007, 02:02 PM   #8
sky_nh

Default Daysailer Length

OK, it just seems like 19 feet to me. The real length of an O'Day Daysailer is 16 feet 9 inches. Beam is 6 feet 3 inches.

More info can be found at the Day Sailer Association web site, www.daysailer.org.

Sorry for the misinformation! It's still a fun boat even if it's 2 feet shorter.

-- Sky
sky_nh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2007, 12:54 PM   #9
MAXUM

Thanked 1,942 Times in 802 Posts

Those O'Day daysailers are awesome boats, I have one I just finished restoring last year. It's a blast to sail, can carry a few adults comfortably and unless you really make a huge mistake, pretty much impossible to get into trouble with. I will admit though, it's a pain to rig the mast if you have to put it up and take it down every time you hit the water.

I have pix of mine posted on daysailer.org from every angle (mostly to document it's restoration)

MAXUM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2007, 05:48 PM   #10
pmj

Default pretty sailboat

She is a very pretty boat,Maxum. Did you have to restore her topsides? If so, what did you use? I have a navy blue topsided sailboat with a lot of oxidation. I have toyed with the idea of using poli-glow. i have tried restorer and buffing to no avail. i am afraid my gel coat is just getting worn..may have to paint her eventually.

pmj
Attached Images

pmj is offline   Reply With Quote