Go Back   Winnipesaukee Forum > Winnipesaukee Forums > General Discussion
Home Forums Gallery Webcams Blogs YouTube Channel Classifieds Calendar Register FAQDonate Members List Today's Posts

Old 07-02-2023, 12:45 PM   #1
TiltonBB

Thanked 2,153 Times in 900 Posts
Default Vehicle crashed into the Looney Bin Sunday

6 or 7 people injured.

https://www.wmur.com/article/looney-...-7223/44409410
TiltonBB is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to TiltonBB For This Useful Post:
ishoot308 (07-02-2023)
Old 07-02-2023, 01:32 PM   #2
ITD

My guess is excessive speed. That's quite a distance to travel off the road and still have enough energy to penetrate a building. I hope all the injured are ok.
ITD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2023, 03:42 PM   #3
WinnisquamZ

Victim count up to 14. Prayers for all those involved

Sent from my iPhone using Winnipesaukee Forum mobile app
WinnisquamZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2023, 03:44 PM   #4
TiltonBB

Default From the Sun

A little more information and a picture in the Laconia Sun.

https://www.laconiadailysun.com/news...62ca224a5.html

It looks a little worse from this picture.
Attached Images

Old 07-02-2023, 04:40 PM   #5
ishoot308

Thanked 4,943 Times in 1,918 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by TiltonBB View Post
A little more information and a picture in the Laconia Sun.

https://www.laconiadailysun.com/news...62ca224a5.html

It looks a little worse from this picture.
Hard to believe no one was killed and no life threatening injuries!

Thanks for posting that!

Dan
Old 07-03-2023, 03:32 PM   #6
ghfromaltonbay

Default Made National News

I was still in NJ last night and saw pics of the accident on Fox News Channel at least 3 times. Arrived today to enjoy the soggy weather here instead of at home.
ghfromaltonbay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2023, 03:33 PM   #7
RCOH

Hoped they aren't closed for long. Hope all people involved are doing better.
RCOH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2023, 03:37 PM   #8
WinnisquamZ

Quote:
Originally Posted by RCOH View Post
Hoped they aren't closed for long. Hope all people involved are doing better.
Hearing building is a total loss. Many local contractors are customers and it will be a priority once the paperwork is complete

Old 07-04-2023, 04:24 PM   #9
ITD

Surveillance video from the Looney Bin showing car crashing into building. I would not want to be either driver facing the pending lawsuits. Be careful driving out there.

https://www.wmur.com/article/looney-...video/44433672
Old 07-04-2023, 05:08 PM   #10
garysanfran

I don't see any sign that the brakes were ever applied.
garysanfran is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2023, 05:22 PM   #11
WinnisquamZ

Quote:
Originally Posted by garysanfran View Post
I don't see any sign that the brakes were ever applied.
Agree. I was told it was to 20 year olds in the SUV that went into the bin. Speed and wet roads appear to be a factor.

Old 07-04-2023, 05:43 PM   #12
fatlazyless

Default ...... 12' long, 5000-lb concrete traffic barriers

With daily exposure to the 100's and 1000's of cars driving up Endicott St everyday, speed limit 40-mph, Looney Bin should have two 12' long x 24" wide x 34" high, concrete traffic barriers, weighing 5000-lbs each, and anchored into the ground with steel posts. Concrete traffic barriers are designed with two holes, so's they can be pinned into the ground with steel posts. Creating a 24' solid concrete wall because the Looney Bin building is very close to the road, and faces the oncoming traffic so it's not too surprising this has occurred.

Plus, seeing the concrete barriers ahead would strongly encourage an incoming car driver to step down hard on the brake pedal, not wanting to smash into a concrete traffic barrier.

Concrete traffic barriers are probably not too costly if purchased used, or from the Craigslist "free" section, or someplace locally. Another crash protection item is a steel bollard strategically installed into the ground, and covered with a plastic tube for improved appearance.

That's what I would do. Standing inside the restaurant and looking out at all that traffic driving past, accelerating up the hill, driving across the flat on top of the hill, speed limit 40-mph ...... I'd be thinking it only takes one driver having a bad day or something.

Last edited by fatlazyless; 07-05-2023 at 07:06 AM.
fatlazyless is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2023, 09:16 PM   #13
TiltonBB

Default Surveillance Video

This video shows how the accident happened.

Old 07-04-2023, 09:28 PM   #14
TheTimeTraveler

Looking at the posted video it appears that the vehicle exiting Fun Spot did not observe the oncoming SUV.

However, it also appears that the oncoming SUV may have been traveling a little fast but the examination of the "Black Box" will either confirm or deny that.

No idea if DWI is involved with this or not. That's up to the folks with the silver colored badges....

Nonetheless, it will be a very large insurance claim (assuming all parties carried insurance).
TheTimeTraveler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2023, 02:40 AM   #15
fatlazyless

What this video doesn't show is a driver inside a southbound car, stopped in the center lane waiting to take a left into Funspot, who is waving the entering car through the stopped center line of traffic, as reported by the July 4 LaDaSun-No Deaths in Looney Bin Crash, just before the entering car collided with and deflected the Acura in the 40-mph travel lane. The entering car from Funspot got waved through, only to smack collide with the Acura in the 40-mph travel lane, sending it into the Looney Bin. So, there were two cars and a hand signal, wave-through, from a third car, not shown thru the windshield due to glare, to make this accident happen.

Does this wave-thru driver have any culpability?

If you look at the location of Funspot, the Looney Bin, and Endicott St on Google Earth you see that Endicott St, driving south, has a third center lane for two hundred yards or so, to accommodate southbound cars making a left turn into Funspot Lane plus cars exiting Funspot Lane, taking a left onto Endicott St, going south.

These third center turning lanes in a congested commercial area are inherently dangerous and require drivers to be extra vigilant. There was a head-on collision, last fall, on Tenney Mt Hgwy, Plymouth, close to NuCar Ford-Plymouth with both large cars having lots of damage. There's a lot going on, there, and the driver needs to be extra careful because their vision can be blocked by traffic that is stopped and waiting to turn into Funspot.

The point being that temporary third center lanes in a congested commercial area like this 40-mph, top-of-the-hill, acceleration zone, commercial congested area is inherently dangerous and drivers should be extra cautious, there.

You know if the Looney Bin had one or two Jersey concrete barriers, or a few steel bollard posts covered with plastic tubes, out front their restaurant/bar, it could have made a difference.

Last edited by fatlazyless; 07-05-2023 at 11:41 AM.
Old 07-05-2023, 04:41 AM   #16
ApS

Arrow "Automatic" Seatbelt Tightening

Quote:
Originally Posted by TiltonBB View Post
This video shows how the accident happened.

No braking is evident after the vehicles' made contact.

Use of seat belts keeps the driver behind the wheel (and brake pedal).

Some vehicle manufacturers have "auto-tightening" seatbelts when contact is made.
ApS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2023, 09:42 AM   #17
Cobalt 12
Banned

Watching the Video shows there was only 4-5 SECONDS of time elapsed from moment of impact from car to moment of impact to the building. Considering that they got blindsided, I would only surmise it would take1-2 seconds to comprehend what just happened and really not much time to react before contact with the building. Say what you will, but this is just a common sense approach of looking at this. NO TIME to react properly. I suppose that's why they are called accidents.
Cobalt 12 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Cobalt 12 For This Useful Post:
pjard (07-05-2023)
Old 07-05-2023, 10:04 AM   #18
welch-time

I imagine the Acura airbags deployed. Might have been a factor in the drivers disorientation.
Imagine getting knocked sideways and your head slammed into the side window, yanked off the pedals and wheel, blocked vision, etc.
welch-time is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2023, 10:30 AM   #19
Woodsy

There was literally 3 seconds between the two impacts. This is just a very unfortunate accident. Per the Laconia PD, neither speed nor alcohol were factors. Thankfully nobody was killed... this could have been way worse!

Todd & Michelle, the owners of the Looney Bin are two of the nicest and hardest working people I know. Their crew is an amazing bunch of people as well! That business is beyond generous when it comes to giving to charities! They are just all around great humans! To see their dream destroyed in split second is heartbreaking. I am sure it will take some time to assess the damage and sort out all of the puzzle pieces... I cannot wait to see how the Looney Bin 2.0 comes out!

Woodsy
ishoot308 (07-05-2023), jimkberry (07-05-2023)
Old 07-05-2023, 10:48 AM   #20
steve-on-mark

I've been trying to figure out in my head just how this accident occurred...the video makes it crystal clear. Same situation happened to a former boss of mine...3 lanes of traffic, a kind person stopped to let him come through, and he was t-boned in the third lane. I guess the next time this happens to us, we'd better be careful of what we can't see coming!

Sent from my Pixel 6 using Tapatalk
KPW (07-06-2023)
Old 07-05-2023, 10:52 AM   #21
WinnisquamZ

Quote:
Originally Posted by Woodsy View Post
There was literally 3 seconds between the two impacts. This is just a very unfortunate accident. Per the Laconia PD, neither speed nor alcohol were factors. Thankfully nobody was killed... this could have been way worse!

Todd & Michelle, the owners of the Looney Bin are two of the nicest and hardest working people I know. Their crew is an amazing bunch of people as well! That business is beyond generous when it comes to giving to charities! They are just all around great humans! To see their dream destroyed in split second is heartbreaking. I am sure it will take some time to assess the damage and sort out all of the puzzle pieces... I cannot wait to see how the Looney Bin 2.0 comes out!

Woodsy
In full agreement. The wife and I enjoy our weekly lunches and banter with the staff and regulars.

The Following User Says Thank You to WinnisquamZ For This Useful Post:
pjard (07-05-2023)
Old 07-05-2023, 11:12 AM   #22
Mr. V

Quote:
Originally Posted by fatlazyless View Post
The point being that temporary third center lanes in a congested commercial area like this 40-mph, top-of-the-hill, acceleration zone, commercial congested area is inherently dangerous and drivers should be extra cautious, there.
I suspect the victims will "lawyer up" and if the damages warrant the expense they might, after investigation and legal research, file suit against whoever is responsible for maintaining the road, claiming unsafe design.

Some huge verdicts have come from such cases elsewhere, but I've no idea about how it would fly in NH.
Old 07-05-2023, 12:35 PM   #23
jimkberry

Quote:
Originally Posted by steve-on-mark View Post
I've been trying to figure out in my head just how this accident occurred...the video makes it crystal clear. Same situation happened to a former boss of mine...3 lanes of traffic, a kind person stopped to let him come through, and he was t-boned in the third lane. I guess the next time this happens to us, we'd better be careful of what we can't see coming!

Sent from my Pixel 6 using Tapatalk
The way I was taught, you always merge into the closest lane moving in your direction when entering a road. The kind soul should have allowed room in the turn/merge lane to open and the other driver should have merged into the center lane first.
jimkberry is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to jimkberry For This Useful Post:
Newbiesaukee (07-06-2023)
Old 07-05-2023, 12:45 PM   #24
TheTimeTraveler

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimkberry View Post
The way I was taught, you always merge into the closest lane moving in your direction when entering a road. The kind soul should have allowed room in the turn/merge lane to open and the other driver should have merged into the center lane first.
Better put; If you are turning left then you should turn into the left lane. If you are turning right then you turn into the right lane (this of course is the rule if these extra lanes actually exist).

I was always was taught to turn into the lane in which you leave (same concept as above).
TheTimeTraveler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2023, 12:59 PM   #25
LoveLakeLife

It’s a crash or a collision. An accident is stepping on someone’s toes during a first dance. An accident is a lack of fault. Here the car coming from Funspot violated the other car’s right of way. You can’t rely on someone else waving you on. It was foreseeable hence preventable.

LoveLakeLife is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to LoveLakeLife For This Useful Post:
Jeanzb1 (07-07-2023)
Old 07-05-2023, 01:54 PM   #26
garysanfran

ac·ci·dent
[ˈaksədnt]
NOUN
an unfortunate incident that happens unexpectedly and unintentionally, typically resulting in damage or injury:
garysanfran is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2023, 03:15 PM   #27
Descant

Thanked 1,518 Times in 985 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. V View Post
I suspect the victims will "lawyer up" and if the damages warrant the expense they might, after investigation and legal research, file suit against whoever is responsible for maintaining the road, claiming unsafe design.

Some huge verdicts have come from such cases elsewhere, but I've no idea about how it would fly in NH.
I'm sure the road design and maintenance conforms to standards, and filing suit against the state doesn't get you anywhere. Suing the design standards (ASHTO) will also go nowhere. Big verdicts come when there are deep pockets. Assuming fairly standard insurance coverage (100/300/50), that's the amount of money to be spread around. Collision coverage could apply to car damage and the building likely has structure and loss of use coverage. After that, the insurance companies will sort it out amongst themselves. In the extreme, the insurance company may offer $70K, your lawyer holds out for $140K. Two years later, you settle for $100K, the lawyer takes $30K and you get the $70K originally offered. Despite the TV commercials, it is not financially savvy for insurance companies to spend a lot on overhead trying to cheat you out of a few thousand dollars. Closing the case for a fair sum is in their best interest.
Descant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2023, 03:42 PM   #28
Major

Thanked 1,000 Times in 415 Posts

Knowing the area, I wasn't surprised that it was a situation where someone taking a lefthand turn into Funspot from the Southbound lane was waiving the driver out of the parking lot onto the main road. In fact, before reading the story, my wife and I surmised that the person in the lefthand lane turning into Funspot was giving the other driver the "waive."

I have a different take. If there was a blame pie, so to speak, I blame the person waiving the driver onto the road almost as much as the driver who caused the accident. In the situation in which you are on the receiving end of the "waive," the human response is to act quickly, trying not to disappoint the person waiving you onto the road, not realizing that someone may be in the travel lane next to the lefthand turn lane going fairly fast, even at the speed limit. You look quickly left and right and go, not really focusing who is behind the waiver. Clearly, some level of fault lies with the person who merged onto the main road, but I have been in similar situations in which you get flustered and want to act quickly.

I noticed that the "waive" was big in Rhode Island when I lived there, not so much in NH. The lesson learned is to let traffic patterns follow their natural order. If you are in the lefthand turn lane on a main road and someone is coming from a secondary road to the main road, the person taking the lefthand turn moves first, with the person merging onto the main road going afterwards. Stop trying to be overly generous by waiving the person on before you. You are not being nice or kind, just screwing up traffic.

As an FYI, I live in SD/LB and face this situation routinely. I usually end up pissing off the person waiving me to go, since I don't go.

That said, the ultimate responsibility lies with the person who caused the accident. He learned the hard way not to fall for the "waive."
Major is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Major For This Useful Post:
jbolty (07-05-2023), stingray (07-06-2023)
Old 07-05-2023, 04:17 PM   #29
8gv

Never try to place your car, motorcycle, boat or airplane into a location that YOU have not visually cleared.
8gv is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to 8gv For This Useful Post:
ITD (07-05-2023), Jeanzb1 (07-07-2023), KPW (07-06-2023)
Old 07-05-2023, 04:24 PM   #30
8gv

A pessimistic but perhaps realistic, prediction:

Beyond the issues with the building repair, Looney Bin may suffer some serious impediments to reopening.

The staff may be swallowed up by competitive employers.

Getting them back to reopen may be quite a challenge.

How does the business get compensated for that?
8gv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2023, 04:55 PM   #31
Descant

Thanked 1,518 Times in 985 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by 8gv View Post

Beyond the issues with the building repair, Looney Bin may suffer some serious impediments to reopening.

These issues are discussed in the Wolfeboro grocery store fire thread.
Descant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2023, 05:31 PM   #32
Woodsy

Quote:
Originally Posted by 8gv View Post

Normally that would be a very valid concern. However, if you knew the owners of the Looney Bin or were a regular patron, you would have a better understanding of just how special the place is, and definitely would not be pessimistic. They treat their staff like family, the staff is beyond loyal, and the owners will make sure the employees get paid regardless. Loss of Business insurance will cover most of that. Already both regular patrons and other local establishments are rallying around the 'Bin and there are already some fundraising ideas being planned, with 100% going to the employees. To be clear the owners would NEVER ask for that kind of help. I for one am looking forward to Looney Bin 2.0!

Woodsy
pjard (07-06-2023)
Old 07-05-2023, 06:06 PM   #33
GodSmile

Default I'm in

I've never been to the Loony Bin, and didn't think it would be our kind of place, seemed too raucous for our taste (although that was just my perception). Reading some of these posts, I'd be all in on supporting them through this difficult time. They sound like great people.
GodSmile is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2023, 07:00 PM   #34
LoveLakeLife

Quote:
Originally Posted by garysanfran View Post
ac·ci·dent

[ˈaksədnt]

NOUN

an unfortunate incident that happens unexpectedly and unintentionally, typically resulting in damage or injury:

Hi Gary. I was talking in the legal context. Unintentional in that realm is more complex. One can intend the act but not the harm and be held liable civilly for negligence. Here, no one intended any harm but the driver turning left without confirming safe passage, and the waver guy each intended their respective acts. I should have clarified my meaning, sorry.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to LoveLakeLife For This Useful Post:
garysanfran (07-07-2023), Rockman33 (07-06-2023)
Old 07-06-2023, 12:01 PM   #35
Mr. V

Quote:
Originally Posted by Descant View Post
I'm sure the road design and maintenance conforms to standards, and filing suit against the state doesn't get you anywhere. .
Upon further review I agree.

The driver that slammed into the building is without fault, absent proof of excessive speed.

The at fault party is the guy trying to cut through the stopped traffic, but what to do about the party who incorrectly signaled that it was safe to do so?

Could be liability there as well.
Old 07-06-2023, 08:02 PM   #36
ApS

Thumbs down Waving a Yield isn't a Chargeable Offence...

Quote:
Originally Posted by ITD View Post
My guess is excessive speed. That's quite a distance to travel off the road and still have enough energy to penetrate a building. I hope all the injured are ok.
New Hampshire doesn't adjust the speed limit for summer. Forty-MPH is fast enough for a dry road. The SUV was traveling at a very high rate of speed "for conditions". I'd put the young driver's fault at 95%.

It could have been much worse. Anyone catch the open door when the SUV crashed into the restaurant?
Old 07-07-2023, 04:54 AM   #37
jeffk

Quote:
Originally Posted by ApS View Post
... The SUV was traveling at a very high rate of speed "for conditions". ...
And yet, the police have stated that speed was NOT a factor. The police take "conditions" into account when they make their evaluations.
jeffk is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to jeffk For This Useful Post:
Cobalt 12 (07-07-2023), Descant (07-07-2023)
Old 07-07-2023, 07:00 AM   #38
hilltopper

Quote:
New Hampshire doesn't adjust the speed limit for summer. Forty-MPH is fast enough for a dry road. The SUV was traveling at a very high rate of speed "for conditions". I'd put the young driver's fault at 95%.

It could have been much worse. Anyone catch the open door when the SUV crashed into the restaurant?
What reality do you live in? The SUV that was hit was not speeding (per the police report and per my take on watching the video). Maybe it seems that way to you as the cars that the SUV is driving by are STOPPED. And then to go on and say they are 95% at fault...get real!

And what about "the open door when the SUV crashed into the restaurant"? The force of the impact caused that door to open.
hilltopper is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to hilltopper For This Useful Post:
Cobalt 12 (07-07-2023)
Old 07-07-2023, 07:45 AM   #39
fatlazyless

www.gofundme.com/f/lets-help-the-looney-bin ...... a go-fund-me to help the out-of-work Looney Bin employees and help pay for numerous different items while waiting for insurance pay-outs to happen.

$14,878 ..... so far ..... July 7, 8:45-am .... and going up .....with 108 donations at an average of $137.75 per donation, so far.

Donations typically come from people who are not the wealthy, because the wealthy will drive around in a $75,000 f-150 pickup truck, have a little used Corvette or Porsche sitting in their three car garage, and almost NEVER make a donation to anything.

You know what they say ..... the richer, you get ..... the tighter, you get! .....
Cobalt 12 (07-07-2023)
Old 07-07-2023, 10:56 AM   #40
Jeanzb1

I see fault with both the car pulling out and the car that hit him. You should never inch out without a clear line of sight in both directions. And it appears the car that hit him was speeding and should have seen the car creeping out between the cars and should have been able to stop in time to avoid the crash. Both vehicles are at fault.

Jeanzb1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2023, 11:52 AM   #41
fatlazyless

Many will probably disagree with me but I see some fault with the Looney Bin for NOT having a Jersey concrete barrier and some steel bollard posts out front their business to protect it from an incoming motor vehicle.

Considering the building is both very close to 40-mph Endicott St-south, and faces the traffic, a wackadoozie drive-thru like this was an accident waiting to happen.

With the big volume of traffic happening on congested, 40-mph Endicott St south, it only takes one driver having a bad day, or something.
Old 07-07-2023, 02:13 PM   #42
ITD

After seeing the video, I don't think the car that went into the building was speeding. The guy pulling out of Funspot on the other hand, too fast for what he was doing.

The airbags went off on in the car that went into the building (building car). It takes quite a bit of force for that to happen.

I had a front airbag go off after I hit a deer. It was like getting punched in the face. My nose hurt for a few days, my forehead had a road rash type burn from the bag. But it saved my face hitting the wheel. Yes I had my shoulder belt properly on.

When it went off, I saw the impact, then nothing along with a big bang. I was awake the whole time, but the bag blocking my view was instant. The bag gave off a cloud of smoke and talc powder that made me start choking. I had to physically move the bag out of my way to see. Fortunately, I had seen the deer jumping in front of me and knew the impact was coming.

For the people in these cars they had no idea what happened. The building car through no fault of his own, the other guy, well he seriously messed up.

I suspect the both drivers were stunned from the impact. You can see in the video the side bags on the building car went off, and I think the front bag went off too. That's a lot, but probably saved the building car driver from serious injury. Unfortunately I think the building car guy was processing what happened, probably unable to see due to the bags and smoke or fumes and didn't realize he needed to brake.

I think this is 100 percent the guy pulling out fault. If you can't see, don't go. It's pretty simple.

The only other thing is if you get hit blindly, get on your brakes as fast as possible, and get those bags out of your way asap. They are useless after that initial inflation.
The Following User Says Thank You to ITD For This Useful Post:
stingray (07-08-2023)
Old 07-07-2023, 05:29 PM   #43
DickR

Quote:
Originally Posted by ITD View Post
I think this is 100 percent the guy pulling out fault. If you can't see, don't go....
Fault is shared by both drivers. The driver coming across from Funspot ought not to have pulled out abruptly without a clear line of sight to potentially oncoming traffic. The driver coming uphill (southbound) should have known better than to move at that speed adjacent to a line of stopped vehicles, even if not over the posted limit. There is just too great a chance that someone will pull out of line abruptly, leaving no chance to avoid collision. That's the sort of "red flag" thing driving experience teaches one over time.
DickR is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to DickR For This Useful Post:
ApS (07-08-2023)
Old 07-08-2023, 12:38 AM   #44
LoveLakeLife

FLL makes a valid point about the restaurant’s liability.

ApS (07-08-2023)
Old 07-08-2023, 05:02 AM   #45
ApS

Arrow What The British Call "A Shunt"...

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffk View Post
And yet, the police have stated that speed was NOT a factor. [B]The police take "conditions" into account when they make their evaluations.[/B
And, indeed, Laconia Police Chief Canfield DID!

Quote:
Heavy rain and there is significant traffic here in the Lakes Region, especially for the holiday weekend."
The SUV passed five stopped cars before glancing off the middle-lane car. That's about 80 feet to acknowledge the threat, turn the steering wheel, and hit the brakes. (Let the ABS do its job).

"Texting"?
Old 07-08-2023, 05:48 AM   #46
thinkxingu

Thanked 1,963 Times in 1,213 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by LoveLakeLife View Post
FLL makes a valid point about the restaurant’s liability.

Really?

Would someone be responsible for not putting up a strong barrier if a plane falls on their house because they live near an airport?

Ooh, ooh—or the barber shop I go to that sits alongside train tracks? Should I suggest they put up a strong barrier lest an Amtrak derails and plows into the building while I'm getting a sweet cut?

And where would the LB even have put those barriers?! The car LITERALLY came in through the main road and building entrance.

Someone above mentioned that both parties are at fault, and that's the truth...though if this situation plays out a hundred times, the same thing probably happens 99.

People drive up lanes that are open even when others are backed up—just look at every highway every day while driving through traffic, tolls, accident backups, etc.

And people always "let others go" without paying much attention to what's coming the other way and drivers will almost always take advantage of that because, well, we wouldn't be driving if we didn't have anywhere to go.

This was an accident, the type that happens in a world with humans and machines and movement of both.

Sent from my SM-S911U using Tapatalk
thinkxingu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2023, 06:46 AM   #47
ITD

Quote:
And, indeed, Laconia Police Chief Canfield DID!

The SUV passed five stopped cars before glancing off the middle-lane car. That's about 80 feet to acknowledge the threat, turn the steering wheel, and hit the brakes. (Let the ABS do its job).

"Texting"?
No way that car was speeding, a pretty good speed estimate could be made from the video, I think it was maybe 30 at most.

The building car had no chance in this accident. The funspot car never even looked, it didn't slow down, he was accelerating, probably worried about northbound traffic. The building car had no view of the car cutting through the stopped cars. His view was completely blocked. The proper thing for the funspot car to have done would have been to slowly move to the center lane, and maybe slowly poke his nose out into the travel lane. And be slowly I mean move his nose maybe 6 inches into the lane and STOP. Then inch forward until he can see the lane is clear. This would give oncoming traffic time to see him and avoid him.

What he did was launch himself into the building car, causing a substantial impact and deflecting the building car on it's course into the building.

Again, funspot car caused this by not knowing how to drive. The building car didn't have a chance.
The Following User Says Thank You to ITD For This Useful Post:
Susie Cougar (07-08-2023)
Old 07-08-2023, 07:32 AM   #48
Chimi

Default Do the math

Estimate the “building car’s” speed by doing the following:

1) Count the number of vehicles that the building car passes before being hit by the vehicle exiting Funspot.

2) Determine the time in seconds that it takes for the building car to pass X quantity of vehicles before it gets hit.

3) Look up the average length of a vehicle in the USA.

4) Add a small buffer between the number of vehicles counted (maybe 1-2 feet?)

5) Determine the distance that the building vehicle traveled before getting hit, then divide by the total time it took (in seconds) to travel that distance.

6) You will now know how many feet per second the building vehicle was traveling.

7) Use this website to convert FPS to MPH: https://www.unitconverters.net/speed...ond-to-mph.htm

You will now have a decent estimate on how fast the building car was traveling. I did the calculations, so let’s see what others come up with.
Chimi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2023, 09:07 AM   #49
fatlazyless

My guess, the silver Acura was going 30-mph in this Laconia, Endicott St-south, 40-mph speed limit zone before hitting the incoming car with its left front corner and getting bounced to the right.
Old 07-08-2023, 03:20 PM   #50
LoveLakeLife

Quote:
Originally Posted by thinkxingu View Post
Really?

Would someone be responsible for not putting up a strong barrier if a plane falls on their house because they live near an airport?

Ooh, ooh—or the barber shop I go to that sits alongside train tracks? Should I suggest they put up a strong barrier lest an Amtrak derails and plows into the building while I'm getting a sweet cut?

And where would the LB even have put those barriers?! The car LITERALLY came in through the main road and building entrance.

Someone above mentioned that both parties are at fault, and that's the truth...though if this situation plays out a hundred times, the same thing probably happens 99.

People drive up lanes that are open even when others are backed up—just look at every highway every day while driving through traffic, tolls, accident backups, etc.

And people always "let others go" without paying much attention to what's coming the other way and drivers will almost always take advantage of that because, well, we wouldn't be driving if we didn't have anywhere to go.

This was an accident, the type that happens in a world with humans and machines and movement of both.

haha the “ooh ooh” sarcasm is unattractive. Your examples are silly, by design I’m sure. Bollards are industry standard in such geographic situations. Look around town, any town. If the “stuff happens” attitude were to prevail, pajamas would still be flammable and cars wouldn’t have safety glass. If it’s foreseeable it’s preventable. If a foreseeable risk is ignored and someone is injured as a result, it’s negligence not an accident. A baby in a high chair spilling his milk is an accident.

Old 07-08-2023, 05:15 PM   #51
thinkxingu

Thanked 1,963 Times in 1,213 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by LoveLakeLife View Post
haha the “ooh ooh” sarcasm is unattractive. Your examples are silly, by design I’m sure. Bollards are industry standard in such geographic situations. Look around town, any town. If the “stuff happens” attitude were to prevail, pajamas would still be flammable and cars wouldn’t have safety glass. If it’s foreseeable it’s preventable. If a foreseeable risk is ignored and someone is injured as a result, it’s negligence not an accident. A baby in a high chair spilling his milk is an accident.

"In such geographic situations"? Like what, perfect straightaways? Anywhere there's moving vehicles?

My examples were hyperbolic, yes, because the suggestion that it's TLB's fault is absurd.

thinkxingu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2023, 06:17 PM   #52
fatlazyless

Found this ...... www.mccue.com/safety-bollards ..... a company that makes different bollards and says "Safety is no accident! With CrashCore Bollards, you keep your people safe."

The Walmart's in Gilford, Plymouth and Tilton all have bollards at their customer entrance presumably to keep motor vehicles out of the store.

Some combination of bollards, and a concrete Jersey barrier could go good, there.
Old 07-08-2023, 06:37 PM   #53
LoveLakeLife

FLL is right again. “Anywhere there [are] moving vehicles” is more hyperbole, and to borrow a term, absurd. Such situations as I referenced would include businesses in close proximity to heavily traveled roadways where such foreseeable events occur. See almost every Dunkin’ Donuts.

Old 07-08-2023, 06:56 PM   #54
Cobalt 12
Banned

This is getting Ridiculous.
Cobalt 12 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Cobalt 12 For This Useful Post:
Biggd (07-09-2023), ishoot308 (07-08-2023), pjard (07-09-2023)
Old 07-08-2023, 07:02 PM   #55
WinnisquamZ

Issues can easily be resolved if you only allow those exiting fun spot to go right

Old 07-09-2023, 04:02 AM   #56
ApS

Question I Steer Away from Accidents. ..

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chimi View Post
Estimate the “building car’s” speed by doing the following:

1) Count the number of vehicles that the building car passes before being hit by the vehicle exiting Funspot.

2) Determine the time in seconds that it takes for the building car to pass X quantity of vehicles before it gets hit.

3) Look up the average length of a vehicle in the USA.

4) Add a small buffer between the number of vehicles counted (maybe 1-2 feet?)

5) Determine the distance that the building vehicle traveled before getting hit, then divide by the total time it took (in seconds) to travel that distance.

6) You will now know how many feet per second the building vehicle was traveling.

7) Use this website to convert FPS to MPH: https://www.unitconverters.net/speed...ond-to-mph.htm

You will now have a decent estimate on how fast the building car was traveling. I did the calculations, so let’s see what others come up with.
It's better than nothing: Investigators have to consider texting, or use of drugs that can make one drive only 30-MPH in a 40-MPH.

For clarity, the "building car" struck the "Funspot car" on the right front wheel. (And it's the gold badges who decide how this affects tourism--but different gold badges who worked the scene of the seven motorcyclists killed in Randolph).

As for airbags' safety, many occupants have been permanently blinded or killed by their own airbags. Not just from the gases, but from metal projectiles!

https://fortune.com/2023/05/18/car-a...-recall-nhtsa/

"Building car" will likely get a "pass", and "Funspot car" will be charged with "Failure to Yield", and our insurance rates can make things right again. However, we should be better drivers than to hide behind "blind-sided" when this crash was avoidable in one's everyday driving alongside a long row of cars ("Building car" is "leading the pack" going uphill in heavy rain, when braking is more effective).

Would this scenario be different had it been a stroller entering the disputed lane?
Old 07-09-2023, 04:16 AM   #57
ApS

Question Low vs. High Speed...

Quote:
Originally Posted by fatlazyless View Post
Found this ...... www.mccue.com/safety-bollards ..... a company that makes different bollards and says "Safety is no accident! With CrashCore Bollards, you keep your people safe."

The Walmart's in Gilford, Plymouth and Tilton all have bollards at their customer entrance presumably to keep motor vehicles out of the store.

Some combination of bollards, and a concrete Jersey barrier could go good, there.
Last month, I wrote (here) of a Jersey Barrier in Maryland which. launched a small car into the air, subsequently killing eight construction workers.
Old 07-09-2023, 05:27 AM   #58
fatlazyless

Quote:
Last month, I wrote (here) of a Jersey Barrier in Maryland which. launched a small car into the air, subsequently killing eight construction workers.
Well, that's a valid criticism on solid concrete barriers, so could be that two or three or four or five large granite boulders could be good, thinking the boulders would be irregular shaped as opposed to a Jersey concrete barrier and could absorb the impact by moving or rolling a wee bit ........ rock & roll! ..... with real N.H. gray granite boulders weighing 5000-lbs each ..... creating a protective rock garden.

Who knows but maybe Looney Bin will bring in some big, heavy, large, granite boulders and some soil and build an attractive rock garden, out front that's both protects and enhances, with big boulders and green grass and Looney Bin may become 'Looney Bin on the Rocks' ...... or something!

Last edited by fatlazyless; 07-13-2023 at 03:52 AM.
Old 07-13-2023, 04:20 AM   #59
Reilly

Default Thank You

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cobalt 12 View Post
This is getting Ridiculous.
As My wife & I were sitting at 1 of the 2 tables that got hit by that car & very LUCKY to be here , I wish all of you would stop flapping your Jaws about something so Tramatic to alot of people involved
Reilly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2023, 01:30 PM   #60
Randardo

Default Find a way to help

See what you can do to help this amazing couple get back on their feet and reopen the bar. Best wings I've ever eaten, hands down. They're doing wonders for the community. We can go on analyzing what happened and how it could have been prevented, let's look beyond that and see how we as a community can help. Loan some time, make a donation, be sure to visit them when they reopen. "We" as a community should focus our attention on what we can do to help others.... my opinion only.
Randy
Randardo is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Randardo For This Useful Post:
DotRat (07-22-2023)
Old 07-22-2023, 04:49 PM   #61
WinnisquamZ

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reilly View Post
As My wife & I were sitting at 1 of the 2 tables that got hit by that car & very LUCKY to be here , I wish all of you would stop flapping your Jaws about something so Tramatic to alot of people involved
Many of us have written and prayed for all those involved. Some of us even donated money and volunteer. Your comment “I wish all of you would stop flapping your Jaws” is rude and disrespectful. Others can and will continue to speak of this accident. It is their right. You have the right not to read it

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to WinnisquamZ For This Useful Post:
Biggd (07-22-2023), SAMIAM (07-23-2023)
Old 07-22-2023, 06:09 PM   #62
LoveLakeLife

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reilly View Post
Words aren’t traumatic.

pjard (07-23-2023)
Old 07-23-2023, 07:15 AM   #63
fatlazyless

Default ....... loonie boulders!

With all the gray granite boulders present in New Hampshire, 'The Granite State', placing two or three strategically placed 5000-lb rocks in front of the Looney Bin is a smart move. It would be even smarter if it had been done before this recent collision, but that's hindsight.

Anyway, here's a super great loony thought! Find a local artist who can create loony boulders or loony rocks by painting a 'loony' onto the gray granite boulders to enhance and stylize and protect the Looney Bin from a stray, wakadoozie, incoming motor vehicle. .....

Is this a hell of a great loony idea, or what! ...... ..... loony, loonie, Looney rocks! ..... three big ones!

Last edited by fatlazyless; 07-23-2023 at 11:48 AM.