Go Back   Winnipesaukee Forum > Winnipesaukee Forums > Boating
Home Forums Gallery Webcams Blogs YouTube Channel Classifieds Calendar Register FAQDonate Members List Today's Posts

Old 07-26-2013, 07:48 AM   #1
bigdog

Default Outboard gas consumption ?

Trying to determine the GPH consumption for my outboard.
90HP 2 stroke. (4 carbs).

Does any one know of a link where I could get accurate information about this.

From what I've been able to find out, the general rule is to divide the actual horsepower by 10. This formula would be used for GPH at WOT (wide open throttle). So at 1/2-3/4 throttle much less would be used, maybe cut in half ?

Any feedback is appreciated!
bigdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2013, 07:58 AM   #2
chipj29

I think that by using a simple calculation, you are only able to determine the optimal, or maybe average fuel consumption. There are so many variables to consider that it would be tough to get a "real world" number. Things such as weight of the boat, # of passengers on board, weight of any cargo, wind conditions, lake conditions etc. would affect the fuel consumption.

To get a true average fuel consumption, take several trips starting with a full tank of fuel. Fill up when you get back. That way you can determine how much fuel you used.
Old 07-26-2013, 10:25 AM   #3
Dave R

Assuming it's propped correctly and can get to 5000 RPM, but not more than 5500 RPM at WOT, it will burn about 9 GPH at WOT. Throttle back to 4000 RPM, and it should drop to about 4.5 GPH.

That engine makes peak HP at around 5000 RPM and peak torque at around 4000 RPM. Ideally, your boat/engine/prop should be setup to to cruise nicely at the engine's torque peak; that's where you'll attain the very best on-plane fuel economy when trimmed correctly and loaded so that it's running level, side to side.
Dave R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2013, 10:38 AM   #4
bigdog

Thanks Chip & Dave for the valuable feedback, greatly appreciated !

I didn't have the stats on the peak torque at 4000rpm, will monitor that closely.

Thanks again guys.

Bigdog
bigdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2013, 02:36 PM   #5
boat_guy64

Default Gph

I was just thinking about this in general when I filled up yesterday. My Searay says that I've used 2475 gallons so far. With 422 hours on it, that means that I average 5.86 gallons per hour. I know that I consume > 14 GPH WOT and 10 GPH at 30 MPH. But over the lifetime of the boat so far it is 5.86. I guess that in the end, this is the number that matters.
boat_guy64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 07-28-2013, 07:04 AM   #6
Baja Guy

Smile

Apologies for the hijack, but this is interesting to me.

Hey boat guy if you don't mind. What is your boat model and length? Do you know it's actual weight? What driveline does it have? Engine, drive ratio, prop pitch? And how is it typically loaded.
My brother just bought a 99 Searay 210 with a 5.0 EFI. It rides great and has lots of room inside.
I'm pretty sure his EFI is giving him better fuel economy than my much lighter boat which has a carburetor and a bigger engine displacement.
Part of my fuel use is the way I enjoy the boat. I don't go wide open often, but I sure like being shoved back in my seat on acceleration!
I often will put in 11 gallons when I carry in my jerry jugs. My seat of the pants observation is that I can get 3 hours from them.
To share: my boat is a 1989 Baja Sunsport 196 with a 1988 Mercruiser 5.7, Rochester Quadrajet carburetor that was rebuilt winter of 2012-13, running 23" and 21" pitch propellers, weight 2300, deadrise 21 degrees. Typical load 2 adults and 83 lb dog, 100 to 200 lbs of fuel and other stuff. So almost 3000 lbs running.
I just got a little hour meter so I guess now's the time to start logging fuel since I can count engine hours.
Gallons per hour improves, that is decreases, for the time the boat idles and runs at headway speeds. Apparently you and I both do some of that!
Old 07-28-2013, 07:12 AM   #7
Baja Guy

Big Dog, I bet you have an Evinrude or Johnson V4. Great motors, they are very sturdy and live long. Like anything, if you don't run wide open for long times you will go further on a dollar. And bonus, it won't need as much repair that way!
Old 07-28-2013, 12:33 PM   #8
Dave R

Quote:
Originally Posted by Baja Guy View Post
Apologies for the hijack, but this is interesting to me.

Hey boat guy if you don't mind. What is your boat model and length? Do you know it's actual weight? What driveline does it have? Engine, drive ratio, prop pitch? And how is it typically loaded.
My brother just bought a 99 Searay 210 with a 5.0 EFI. It rides great and has lots of room inside.
I'm pretty sure his EFI is giving him better fuel economy than my much lighter boat which has a carburetor and a bigger engine displacement.
Part of my fuel use is the way I enjoy the boat. I don't go wide open often, but I sure like being shoved back in my seat on acceleration!
I often will put in 11 gallons when I carry in my jerry jugs. My seat of the pants observation is that I can get 3 hours from them.
To share: my boat is a 1989 Baja Sunsport 196 with a 1988 Mercruiser 5.7, Rochester Quadrajet carburetor that was rebuilt winter of 2012-13, running 23" and 21" pitch propellers, weight 2300, deadrise 21 degrees. Typical load 2 adults and 83 lb dog, 100 to 200 lbs of fuel and other stuff. So almost 3000 lbs running.
I just got a little hour meter so I guess now's the time to start logging fuel since I can count engine hours.
Gallons per hour improves, that is decreases, for the time the boat idles and runs at headway speeds. Apparently you and I both do some of that!
There is very little difference in fuel consumption between older fuel injected I/Os and carbureted I/Os. The newest fuel injected I/Os that have catalyst exhaust systems run closed loop injection which will typically use less fuel than the older fuel injection running open loop.

If you really want to know how to run at the most economical speed and trim settings, get a multi-function gauge that that reads fuel flow and speed, and will display instantaneous MPG. I love mine
Old 07-28-2013, 05:56 PM   #9
upthesaukee

Thanked 1,918 Times in 1,061 Posts
Default One thing I miss.

With my 135 HP Optimax I had on my old boat, I also had the "smart gauges" that were available, one setting included GPH and total gallons used. (I almost wrote total gals used!!! that would have started some off topic quips ). Now, I have a carbureted Merc I/O and per Mercury, the smart gauges are not available.

I know I can get a flow meter installed, approximately $200 plus installation, but will wait until my boat disposable income can best be used on that luxury. It was handy to see at a glance where my best economy was, MPH VS GPH.
Old 07-28-2013, 07:38 PM   #10
Smith Point

Hi Jack 2,
I have a 22' supra ski boat (inboard) W/ a 454, holly 4 barrel, WOT 4200rpm. how do i find my MPG? I use about 1/2 tank from Smith Point to Wolfboro and back ($50?) whiskey tango foxtrot. Any info would be appreciated.
Smith Point is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2013, 07:58 PM   #11
Charlie T

Default Wot rpm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smith Point View Post
Hi Jack 2,
I have a 22' supra ski boat (inboard) W/ a 454, holly 4 barrel, WOT 4200rpm. .
Hi Smith Point. I believe you may have an issue with either your prop or your tune up. 4200 at WOT is way too low for a 454. Most of the marine V8's are calling for a WOT of around 4800-5000 rpm. Has the max RPM always been that low or is this something that has happened over time. You may want to find a good marine mechanic to sort out your issue.
FYI I've got a 25' Chap stern drive with a 454 and I'm at 5000-5200 wide open at a little over 50mph. I don't drive at that speed but that's where I end up with the "hammer down"

Good Luck

CT
Charlie T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2013, 08:26 PM   #12
Baja Guy

Charlie is right, you may be getting some economy back once the motor will turn it's right rpm.
Also check that the hull isn't all loaded with marine growth, that will drag a lot in some boats.
I think you could pay back some boat care in savings in a reasonable time if you are whipping off $50 trips all the time!
My Chevy 350 gets it torque right in the middle and that's a nice low plane around 23 or 25 mph with my boat. I don't know how much effort the motor needs to give to keep your boat moving efficiently but my guess would be 200 to 500 rpm above plowing, just on an easy plane.
I'm not going for a flow meter unless I run out of higher priorities first.
I still want a bimini and some trim tabs. Plus I don't really have the right pitch prop. I have one that I have borrowed but it's not fair to keep someone else's stuff. I have one that's too small and 2 that are too big.
My borrow prop is a 21, gotta find someone to trade my 19 or my extra 23 for a 21 of my own.
Old 07-28-2013, 08:51 PM   #13
Baja Guy

delete, I'm way off topic!
Old 07-28-2013, 09:00 PM   #14
Dave R

If it's an oval port 454, 4200 RPM is OK but not great. They top out at 4600. The square port big block Chevys breathe more freely and are have cams and reciprocating parts that let them exceed 5000 RPM. The 8.1/496s are a whole different breed with heads that split the difference between oval and square ports in flow and have 5000ish RPM red lines.

Smith Point, check your spark plugs for correct tan/gray color. If they are black you are running too rich and that will hurt power and economy.

A ski boat has a disadvantage compared to I/Os and O/Bs in that it can't trim the prop up to get the bow out of the water. Fuel economy will suffer dramatically as you go faster than minimum planing speed because unlike boats you can trim, going faster will only push the bow down harder.
Old 07-29-2013, 09:35 AM   #15
Smith Point

Thanks guys,
I think you are right. I need a pro to check it out. I'm convinced that its a carborator problem, the boat came with a 14-12 prop, higher RPM but tough getting out of the hole, switched to a 14-14 prop the boat popped out of the water, now i have a 14-13 prop good compromise. The hull is clean, and it runs great so i don't think its the plugs. Just terrible fule economy. Is there a website that i can double check RPM vs. MPH?
Smith Point is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2013, 02:46 PM   #16
Dave R

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smith Point View Post
Thanks guys,
I think you are right. I need a pro to check it out. I'm convinced that its a carborator problem, the boat came with a 14-12 prop, higher RPM but tough getting out of the hole, switched to a 14-14 prop the boat popped out of the water, now i have a 14-13 prop good compromise. The hull is clean, and it runs great so i don't think its the plugs. Just terrible fule economy. Is there a website that i can double check RPM vs. MPH?
Not likely any website that has data for your boat. What is the gear ratio of your transmission? With that info we can easily calculate the prop slip for given speeds and RPMs.

My request for spark plug info was specifically to check the carburetor, not the plugs themselves.

Here's chart of speed vs MPG for a Malibu Response ski boat. Note how precipitously the MPG drops as the speed goes above 27 MPH. It drops from 4.3 at cruise to 1.75 MPG at WOT. That's like your boat and typical for a ski boat.

Here's a chart for a similarly sized stern drive boat. Note how the MPG does not drop nearly as badly once it's on plane. The MPG goes from 4.2 at cruise to 3.4 at WOT. That percentage of fuel use difference is pretty typical for a stern drive boat.

Note that both boats cruise at 25-30 MPH with very similar fuel burn, and they both top out at 50 MPH, but the ski boat requires about twice the HP to hit 50 because the prop thrust cannot be vectored with trim.

My advice would be to keep it below 30 MPH and above 20 MPH when possible.
Old 07-31-2013, 08:24 PM   #17
garysanfran

Default Any good developments on natural gas...

I know there is intense research for using this abundant fuel for a lot of vehicles...but boats? I know the infrastructure for delivery is not there, but create a need and the infrastructure will follow.

I also wonder how much the anti-petroleum "it's a politically incorrect fuel" affect has an effect on cost? We've got a lot of petroleum in our ground.

I'm sure there is a fair amount of people who would like to see power boating go away.
garysanfran is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2013, 05:31 AM   #18
Dave R

Quote:
Originally Posted by garysanfran View Post
I know there is intense research for using this abundant fuel for a lot of vehicles...but boats? I know the infrastructure for delivery is not there, but create a need and the infrastructure will follow.

I also wonder how much the anti-petroleum "it's a politically incorrect fuel" affect has an effect on cost? We've got a lot of petroleum in our ground.

I'm sure there is a fair amount of people who would like to see power boating go away.
LNG would be good in boats, but has some drawbacks. It has less energy density than gasoline, so it takes up more space for an equal amount of range, and needs to be in an insulated pressure vessel to stay liquid, so fuel tanks can no longer be made to fit tightly down low in the center of a boat. They need to be cylindrical or spherical for strength and that means they can never be as space efficient as a typical rectangular fuel tank with a deep V profile. Due to these two drawbacks, you could expect, storage space, and stability to all suffer compared to gasoline.

I don't know of any production LNG boats.
Old 08-17-2013, 10:34 AM   #19
NBR

Dividing hp by 10 is way to high. I have a 19' bass boat with a 150. Boat tests result in 4mpg at 4400 rpm and that is the high.
NBR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2013, 03:23 PM   #20
Dave R

Quote:
Originally Posted by NBR View Post
Dividing hp by 10 is way to high. I have a 19' bass boat with a 150. Boat tests result in 4mpg at 4400 rpm and that is the high.
For a 4 stroke, or an injected 2 stroke, I'd go with dividing by 8. For a carbureted two stroke, I bet 10 is pretty close.