Go Back   Winnipesaukee Forum > Winnipesaukee Forums > Boating
Home Forums Gallery Webcams Blogs YouTube Channel Classifieds Calendar Register FAQDonate Members List Today's Posts

Old 09-04-2012, 10:48 AM   #1
Happy Gourmand

Default Boat buying time...

After years of owning my own boat, a couple years without one, and a year as a member of the American Boat Club, we have pretty much decided that we NEED our own boat again.
We previously owned a previously owned 23' Wellcraft cuddy and a new 24' Four Winns bow rider and now we're heavily leaning towards a pontoon boat after our experience with the ABC. I got to use 3 different ones this summer...a 21', another was a 22' and our favorite is a 24'. Though I feel they are underpowered, the 24' sporting a 90HP motor, I really enjoyed the ride, especially on weekends, when I previously refrained because of the rough water. The pontoons take the rough water better than any other boat I've been on short of an Aircraft Carrier. These things ride so well that my wife hasn't hollered at me once this summer whenever we encounter a big wake or a rogue wave.
Talking with some current pontoon boat owners, i think me preference would be for a 24' tri-toon model with at least 150 HP. I would like to be able to CRUISE at 25 to 30MPH without haveing to be at WOT, and have enough oompf to pull our grandchildren on a tube of some sort.
Can some of you pontoon drivers chime in as to why you may have made the change to a pontoon boat? Positive comments appreciated, and any pitfalls of this kind of boat that I should know about are appreciated too.
Oh, and did I mention that one of the best features of the pontoon boats that we were able to use this summer is that we are able to walk aboard rather than climbing aboard. I know that might not make a difference to a lot of folk, but being of legal SS retirement age, that makes a huge difference to us.
Any leads for a 24 footer with 3 tubes and 150+HP is appreciated too.
Happy Gourmand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2012, 11:36 AM   #2
Baja Guy

Interesting that they don't feel so bad in bumps. Reason I say that is on Sunday we saw a toon get into some of those crossing waves that happen when a boat makes a tight corner with a bigger wake coming off the back. It looked as if it was getting tossed quite a bit. I think the width of the toons spreads the waves out and lessens the violence of the pitching you'd feel up high in a single hull.
Also, you are smart to shop during non summer. I bet you get better pricing, selection and attention from sellers.
Old 09-04-2012, 12:05 PM   #3
Orion

Default mostly good reasons

Your rationale for the size/power is good. I have owned my 25' Bennington tri-toon since new in 2001. No regrets whatsoever. Mine has a Honda 130 4-stroke and runs about 33 at WOT. You generally won't cruise at that speed because of the only downside being no windshield, so everyone is out there in the wind. But, you're right about the handling as it slices through the waves with ease. Just don't let everyone sit in front or you'll scoop some waves over the carpeted deck (if it's really rough and you're not keeping your bow up a bit by proper speed)....no harm, just wet feet. You can take a lot of people and everyone has a great view. I would opt for the full playpen cover to preserve it if it's being left out (pain in the A to put on, but keeps it like new). Also, I wish I got the longer bimini as we prefer to not get as much sun as we used to.
Orion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2012, 12:24 PM   #4
ishoot308

Thanked 4,942 Times in 1,917 Posts

P.G.

Everything you said in your post is right on!

Based on your comments, I would definitely recommend a 24' tritoon with as much horsepower as you can afford but definitely not less than the 150 H.P. you mentioned.

I do recommend the following if you get one...

#1. Full stern enclosure. We use ours from March to November if ice allows and the stern enclosure keeps us out of the wind and much warmer.

#2. Seat covers for all seats. The best way to protect your seats is to cover them, not from the rain but the sun. The sun is what damages them. They are also quick and easy to put on if rain is expected rather than putting on the stern cover. Unless we have guests on the boat the seat covers stay on all the time. They snap in place and stay put even at W.O.T.

#3. Mooring cover for storage.

I think you are making a wise choice and will enjoy a tritoon setup!

Dan
ishoot308 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2012, 12:51 PM   #5
Grandpa Redneck

All of the above are right on, now is the perfect time to shop for a toon, I highly recommend the Premier PTX package, rides super, planes out and handles like a dream, and the Premier seating is second to none when it comes to comfort, You really appreciate that comfort factor after a full day on the water. Check out Winnisquam marine, they have just listed their 2012 rental fleet for sale, great prices on 2012 Premier PTX packages 22 to 25 footers with 150-200hp. These will have no problem crusing at the speed you want and will pull skiers and tubes with ease, our 22 ft PTX with the 150 runs 34 MPH GPS at WOT with a full load of gear, coolers, fuel and 4 large adults and 2kids, and will give a very thrilling ride on tubes.

Also the Premiers come with the mooring covers included, they are not an added expense, as they are with many of the other brands.

You can check out the rental fleet specs/prices here.

http://www.winnisquammarine.com/2012..._boats_pg2.htm
Old 09-04-2012, 03:36 PM   #6
Lkin

A former RIB owner, we bought a 20 ft bennington this year. Loved the space and comfort and shoats of a pontoon, but did get tossed about on winni in rough water. Traded up to a bennington 2275 rlcp tritoon,ESP with a 150. It is really comfortable, handles great, even in nasty storms. Cruises nicely in the mid to upper 20 's and has hit 40 or 41. Pretty quiet when cruising, and barely heard at idle.. may add a half camper cover next year, but love the boat as is.
Lkin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2012, 03:39 PM   #7
Lkin

Apologies I have no idea what word my tablet changed to "shoats" in my last post. Maybe "storage" ?
Lkin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2012, 07:41 PM   #8
secondcurve

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lkin View Post
Apologies I have no idea what word my tablet changed to "shoats" in my last post. Maybe "storage" ?
You can hit edit when you make a mistake and change your error.
secondcurve is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to secondcurve For This Useful Post:
webmaster (09-05-2012)
Old 09-04-2012, 07:43 PM   #9
secondcurve

Default Cost

What is the price range on a 25 foot tri-ton with a 150 horse motor these days? Also, how do they handle around the docks? Thanks in advance.
secondcurve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2012, 07:58 PM   #10
Grandpa Redneck

Quote:
Originally Posted by secondcurve View Post
What is the price range on a 25 foot tri-ton with a 150 horse motor these days? Also, how do they handle around the docks? Thanks in advance.
Winnisquam has a couple 25 footers with 200HP for 44000-46000

I cant answer the handling around the docks question as I am a trailer boater, but it my 22 footer loads on the trailer very easily
secondcurve (09-05-2012)
Old 09-05-2012, 09:06 AM   #11
SAMIAM

Thanked 1,626 Times in 562 Posts

Another Bennington owner here and we love it.It's a 22' tritoon and it tracks like a deep vee.Love the ride, handling and power.We decided to go with a 250 because we have a few friends and family that like to go fast.It'll snap a slalom skiier up in a couple of seconds and easily pulls 3 adults on a tube at any speed you like.....WOT is around 45mph.
I looked at the Premiers and they just didn't do it for me.Bennington has sloped rear deck rail and ski platform that takes away the "boxy" look and seems a little more stylish.
This is a great time to make an offer.....dealers don't want to carry their floor plan through the winter and I'll bet you get get a great boat at cost.
SAMIAM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2012, 10:09 AM   #12
Happy Gourmand

Default Bennington

Quote:
Originally Posted by SAMIAM View Post
Another Bennington owner here and we love it.It's a 22' tritoon and it tracks like a deep vee.Love the ride, handling and power.We decided to go with a 250 because we have a few friends and family that like to go fast.It'll snap a slalom skiier up in a couple of seconds and easily pulls 3 adults on a tube at any speed you like.....WOT is around 45mph.
I looked at the Premiers and they just didn't do it for me.Bennington has sloped rear deck rail and ski platform that takes away the "boxy" look and seems a little more stylish.
This is a great time to make an offer.....dealers don't want to carry their floor plan through the winter and I'll bet you get get a great boat at cost.
Been searching for a used Bennington. They seem to be a step above most on the others I've see. Goodhue and Hawkins has a 2575LE for sale, I drove it last week, but it seems to have some issues. In fact, when we left the dock, we spun the prop and had to limp back so they could install a new one. It's probably bigger than what I want at an LOA of 27'. Handled nice..tri-toon with 150 HP. WOT made 33/34MPH. Not a lot of used Benningtons for sale in the area.
Happy Gourmand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2012, 10:33 AM   #13
codeman671

Having owned multiple pontoons, I would suggest Premier and Manitou. Stick with something in the 22-24' range, and as Dan stated go with as much hp as you can afford.

The Premier has a better fit and finish than my last Manitou (granted it was a 2007 model being compared to a 2011), but I am on the fence as to which rode better. My Manitou with a 225 Optimax ran 49.6 on gps and my Premier was probably just under that with a 250 Pro XS. I would look to go 4 stroke next time around (sorry Ryan!) as I was not a fan of the noise of the Pro XS, particularly when my bimini was up which was most of the time.

I would look to go with vinyl flooring with snap in carpets as a must have, and look at a stern enclosure unless you truly are a fair weather boater. Make sure there is some sort of splash guards on the pontoons that extend down the sides or has pontoons designed to shed water, otherwise you may be in for a wet ride when traversing rough water. The Suntracker that I have right now as our utility boat is probably the wettest 25' pontoon I have ever ridden in.
codeman671 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2012, 10:33 AM   #14
Greene's Basin Girl

We tested numerous pontoon brands this past spring. We even attended the New England Boat Show last February. It came down to a Bennington or a Harris. We decided on the Harris because the dealer, Melvin Marina, is closer to our house. We had studied the technical aspects of pontoon boats for at least 5 years. Since Memorial Day we have put 56 hours on the boat and we couldn't be happier. We chose a 23 foot ( actually 24.5 with the pontoons) tritoon. We did not get it carpeted because it is much easier to clean without it and we don't have to worry about wet carpet. We go everywhere on L. Winnipesaukee with the boat. We travel from Greens Basin to Wolfeboro! Alton Bay, Paugus Bay, Meredith, and Center Harbor. If the broads are rough we don't even know it.The price was in the 40 thousand dollar range. If you would like a ride sometime merely PM me and my husband and I will take you out.
Greene's Basin Girl is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Greene's Basin Girl For This Useful Post:
Aldidonato (02-25-2013)
Old 09-05-2012, 10:46 AM   #15
ishoot308

One other recommendation Phantom....Whatever brand you decide, just make sure it has a performance package which means lifting strakes on the tubes. There are many tritoons out there without lifting strakes, basically just tubes in the water and I would stay away from those. Lifting strakes will bring your boat up on plane for faster speeds, better ride, more maneuverability and WAY better on gas!!

Dan
Old 09-05-2012, 11:43 AM   #16
AC2717

is there much difference turning a toon at say 25-30 mph vs a deep v?
Old 09-05-2012, 11:53 AM   #17
SAMIAM

Thanked 1,626 Times in 562 Posts

If Pontoon Boats Could Fly . . . This one does! - YouTube

Love my Bennington.
SAMIAM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2012, 12:09 PM   #18
ishoot308

Quote:
Originally Posted by AC2717 View Post
is there much difference turning a toon at say 25-30 mph vs a deep v?
Not the ones with a performance package. They turn on a dime at full speed! Mine reacts and turns better than most V-Hulls I have driven (bow riders, cuddys, etc, etc.)

This will give you a good idea of how well a Manitou turns... http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kuhQCEYC6uc

Dan
Old 09-05-2012, 05:47 PM   #19
Dogberry01

You just need to remember whichever pontoon you chose wind has a big effect on the boat especially when you are docking. Tri-toon is the way to go. Our Premier PTX handles great and would not go with anything less than 150hp.
Its like driving in your living room.
Old 09-06-2012, 03:04 AM   #20
lawn psycho

I've never owned a pontoon boat but have been on friends toon's as well as Lund aluminum fishing boats.

Now this basically doesn't apply to Winni but the coolest thing about aluminum hull boat that you can beach them. When done camping, etc just put her in reverse and drive away.

Go out West and you can do this all the time.
lawn psycho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2012, 08:47 AM   #21
Grandpa Redneck

Here is a couple videos of the Premier PTX package, they are awesome!!!!

this one shows a little about handling at the docks too

Old 09-07-2012, 03:32 PM   #22
John A. Birdsall

Default toons

I have a 24' princecraft altra with a 75 hp Mercury on it. I have seen toon boats with what I think are too small of a diameter toon on them, and they seem to sink lower into the water with people aboard. We got the large toons when we got it and it seems to do okay. We only have two toons Not really shore that the third one would make it any better.

I am thinking of a new motor and it would be a minimum of 115 hp. Though we have pulled two people on skies at one time with the 75, But since they (kids) have grown taller, (and wider) I have doubts about pulling either one.

I have seen toons now with oval shaped toons and I think they would be great. Good luck with whatever you decide.
John A. Birdsall is offline   Reply With Quote