Go Back   Winnipesaukee Forum > Winnipesaukee Forums > Boating
Home Forums Gallery Webcams Blogs YouTube Channel Classifieds Calendar Register FAQDonate Members List Today's Posts

Old 11-19-2006, 11:15 AM   #1
coalman

Default Mercury Mechanics

My boat is a 1955 Olympia 18ft plywood cabin crusier that my father bought new. Motor is a 1961 Merc 500. Motor runs good but could use some serious attention. Would anyone care to recommend a Mercury mechanic who is really good with the old Mercs? Many thanks!
coalman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2006, 11:28 AM   #2
TomC

Default those motors are surprisingly "modern"

.. or maybe its because until the 80's, they didn't change too much. i had a '63 650 up until a few years ago. the whole lower end can hardly be told from a new motor. the magneto ignition is now "quaint", but the rest of the power head and carburetion would be familiar to any 2 cycle engine mechanic. So.. i think any competent mechanic who is comfortable with motors through the 1990's would have no problem with the motor, except perhaps for the magneto/distributor - which requires special tools and procedures to align off the motor. There is an antique outboard mechanic in the Newburyport MA area that i took my motor to once. Where are you located?
TomC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2006, 12:18 PM   #3
coalman

Default Mercury Mechanic

Thanks Tom. I am in Londonderry, NH and the motor is not too hard to handle so I can take it most anywhere.
coalman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2006, 01:06 PM   #4
TomC

Default OK, if you feel like driving to Newbury, MA....

This is the outfit that worked on my old Merc.. he did good work - the thing ran like a top. His showrooom looked like an antique boat museum. Its been 4-5 years since I had my old Merc, so call first to make sure he's still in the business:

Noyes Enterprises
92 Hanover Dr
Newbury, MA 01951

(978) 462-0966
TomC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2006, 05:24 PM   #5
Rocky

Shep Browns Boat Basin in Meredith have some certified mercury mechanics.
Rocky is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 11-20-2006, 10:07 AM   #6
LIforrelaxin

Location: Long Island, not that one, the one on Winnipesaukee
Default Old Merc's and parts

I just got rid of a 1975 Merc. Tower of Power 115hp, because it is getting hard to find parts for the good old mercs. Even quality used parts are not easy to come buy. In short my suggestion is this, if you want to keep what sounds like a good antique boat together, find a good mechanic that is used to working on these old engines, and get it overhauled soon. I also wouldn't leave it to just any outboard or even Mercury Machanic. The old motors have characteristics that is best left to an old timer that has work on many of them.