Go Back   Winnipesaukee Forum > Winnipesaukee Forums > General Discussion
Home Forums Gallery Webcams Blogs YouTube Channel Classifieds Calendar Register FAQDonate Members List Today's Posts

Old 06-02-2010, 09:11 AM   #1
webmaster

Thanked 3,727 Times in 824 Posts
Question Verizon 3G/Mifi Coverage

Does Verizon have 3G coverage around the lake? I am going to get mifi to use when I travel but coverage at the lake is a primary concern.

My AT&T iPhone works fine for phone calls at the lake but there is no 3G at all. I've heard that AT&T 3G stops at Concord. The Verizon coverage map seems to show full coverage around the lake but it would be great to confirm that for 3G.

Again, I'm not concerned with phone calls, only 3G data. Can anyone confirm that you get good 3G coverage around the lake from Verizon?
webmaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2010, 09:29 AM   #2
Lakepilot

We get it in Wolfeboro and the reception is good. We love our mifi. We don't get any AT&T on the wife's new 3G Ipad though.
Lakepilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2010, 09:45 AM   #3
Skip

Hi Don,

I am regularly travelling route 11 from Alton up to Tilton and have full 3G/Verizon wireless coverage in my truck installed laptop.

On the east side of the Lake I regularly have coverage in the Wolfeboro area out to Ossipee.

Isn't the Mount using Verizon 3G coverage for it's camera?
Skip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2010, 10:17 AM   #4
Grady223

I'm on Barndoor and get it.
Grady223 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2010, 11:22 AM   #5
webmaster

Thanked 3,727 Times in 824 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skip View Post
Isn't the Mount using Verizon 3G coverage for it's camera?
I know the Mount is using Verizon Mifi but I wasn't sure if it was getting 3G. As you probably know, you can get data service without 3G, it's just slow. For example, my iPhone data services work at the lake even though there is no 3G coverage from AT&T.

My question was very specific to 3G coverage.

FYI: My plan is to get the USB mifi stick and plug it into a Cradlepoint router so I can share the mifi with my family's laptops. I almost bought a Novatel MiFi 2200 Intelligent Mobile Hotspot from Verizon. It is very small and seemed to be a perfect all-in-one solution. Then someone recommended the Cradlepoint router. It has 150' wifi range vs 30' with the 2200. It will also allow 16 connections vs 5 on the 2200. The Cradlepoint is a little larger but seems to have much more power and capabilities. Does anyone have experience with either of these mifi routers?
webmaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 06-02-2010, 11:37 AM   #6
jrc

I get good coverage with my Verizon Blackberry in Gilford. I can get email and web browse. Most of the time the 1xEV symbol is on.
jrc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2010, 11:52 AM   #7
CHSLTD

Default Mi-fi

We love our mi-fi card... i take it along and use the card to talk on my iphone with skype. I have not had a problem in MANY locations around the lake! fast to!
CHSLTD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2010, 12:49 PM   #8
Lakegeezer

My Verizon Droid gets 3G anywhere around the lake. I can't recall ever not having a 3G signal. There are some places in the hills above Meredith where things get sketchy, but I think you are OK down at lake level.
Old 06-02-2010, 03:57 PM   #9
brk-lnt

I frequently get 3G coverage from Verizon around the Laconia area.

My USB720 and Cradlepoint router was my primary Internet connection for almost 3 years, until I setup a Wifi extension off a neighbors' access point (basically an Engenius bridge and an Apple Airport Express).
Old 06-02-2010, 04:24 PM   #10
Skip

Smile Droidville

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lakegeezer View Post
My Verizon Droid gets 3G anywhere around the lake. I can't recall ever not having a 3G signal. There are some places in the hills above Meredith where things get sketchy, but I think you are OK down at lake level.
Aha...another Droidaholic!

I knew there was something I liked about you...
Skip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2010, 04:11 AM   #11
twoplustwo

Default another Droid fan

I get great 3G all around the lake on my Droid. The only dead spots I hit are a small one in Ossippee on my way to work in Conway, and the spot on route 3 between Holderness and Ashland. 175 to Holderness is a dead zone for cell service in it's entirety. Around the lake? Nothing but solid connection and speed.
twoplustwo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2010, 07:37 AM   #12
BroadHopper

Thanked 1,090 Times in 784 Posts
Default Windows Smartphone

3G works well around the lake. Only spot I have trouble is Glidden Cove area in West Alton and parts of 109 in Tuftonboro, Moultonboro. I have friends who uses AT&T and Sprint and they appear to have trouble using their phones on the lake.
Old 06-03-2010, 01:06 PM   #13
Island Girl

Default Rattlesnake Island

I get 3G on the island. However, sometimes it drops to 1x. There are two places on my couch that get 3g and two that do not! I had trouble in Wolfeboro a couple of years ago. I am not sure if it works there now.

Cradlepoint has several routers you can buy, some very small. Make sure you get what you need for hardwires slots for those times when wifi fails on a machine.

The Mount gets 3g most of the way around the lake. I want the same setup that you are buying for the webcam... just saving up the money.

IG

....... Make Lemonade
Island Girl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2010, 07:50 PM   #14
20mile

Thumbs down Verizon Coverage around lake

We do not get coverage in Tuftonboro anymore. 3 years ago we had great coverage in twenty mile bay. For the last three years we almost never get a signal for phone or data.

My wife and I recently updated our phones to the Devour and NV3. Neither phone works at our house in twenty mile bay. What's worse is that the phones constantly search for a signal so the batteries are wiped out in 8 hours after a full charge.

We have questioned verizon several times. All we get is blank stares and questions marks. I am glad we didn't cancel our land line.
20mile is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2010, 02:53 PM   #15
ossipeeboater

Quote:
Originally Posted by 20mile View Post
We do not get coverage in Tuftonboro anymore. 3 years ago we had great coverage in twenty mile bay. For the last three years we almost never get a signal for phone or data.

My wife and I recently updated our phones to the Devour and NV3. Neither phone works at our house in twenty mile bay. What's worse is that the phones constantly search for a signal so the batteries are wiped out in 8 hours after a full charge.

We have questioned verizon several times. All we get is blank stares and questions marks. I am glad we didn't cancel our land line.
I've always got great reception in the bay itself with my VZ phone, haven't been up this year yet but it worked fine last couple yuers there. I'd have thought if it wasn't hitting a VZ tower that the US Cell tower up there would be picked up.

It's amazing the differences in service between companies, I have a VZW and Tmob BB, at my camp in Ossipee I can see the tower for both yet get 4 bar on the VZW phone and lucky to have 1 on the Tmob roaming off the unicell tower. Sometimes I walk around the yard hoping it connects long enough to download my email.
ossipeeboater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2010, 03:17 PM   #16
jmen24

Quote:
Originally Posted by ossipeeboater View Post
I've always got great reception in the bay itself with my VZ phone, haven't been up this year yet but it worked fine last couple yuers there. I'd have thought if it wasn't hitting a VZ tower that the US Cell tower up there would be picked up.

It's amazing the differences in service between companies, I have a VZW and Tmob BB, at my camp in Ossipee I can see the tower for both yet get 4 bar on the VZW phone and lucky to have 1 on the Tmob roaming off the unicell tower. Sometimes I walk around the yard hoping it connects long enough to download my email.
Try it really early in the morning. I stayed on Moosehead last summer and had no signal at all for phone or data. Second morning the phone was on the charger so it would not kill the batt and it started downloading email and text at about 5:00am. I have no idea why at only that time but it was the only time the entire 7 days that any info came in or went out. I just responded to everything and then let it sit until the next cycle, which was the next morning or sometimes really late at night.

I could occationally sneek out a text, but that was it for any other time during the day. It was the same way in Colorado, no service, but could squeak out a text every once and a while. Must use a lower bandwidth or something. Anyway give it a try. I am on US Cell.

Didn't bother me at all not to have service, but sometimes business cannot wait a week or a weekend.
jmen24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2010, 06:42 PM   #17
no-engine

I have ATT with an iPhone. In the past 11 months when 3G was only to MA/NH border, they have brought 3G to just north of Concord, when on I-93.

I am getting decent voice and data all around the lakes region, except north of Meredith, as was mentioned. I get from 2 to all 5 bars. I do not see much difference in my data speeds between the E and 3G services! Maybe someone can explain. I'm more & more happy with iPhone, since my gamble 11 months ago. I am not a constant telephone user. I wanted it for data and syncing with my Mac computer: calendar, contacts, email, etc. and some photos transferred to it.
no-engine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2010, 09:11 PM   #18
ossipeeboater

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmen24 View Post
Try it really early in the morning. I stayed on Moosehead last summer and had no signal at all for phone or data. Second morning the phone was on the charger so it would not kill the batt and it started downloading email and text at about 5:00am. I have no idea why at only that time but it was the only time the entire 7 days that any info came in or went out. I just responded to everything and then let it sit until the next cycle, which was the next morning or sometimes really late at night.

I could occationally sneek out a text, but that was it for any other time during the day. It was the same way in Colorado, no service, but could squeak out a text every once and a while. Must use a lower bandwidth or something. Anyway give it a try. I am on US Cell.

Didn't bother me at all not to have service, but sometimes business cannot wait a week or a weekend.
when snowmobiling in rural areas I've had many times where i can get texts out and can't get calls. What really shocked me was my tmob BB downloading all my work email up in jackman last year one night, there was no signal for miles going into town but the wind and cloud cover must have been just perfect for a little bit to get a signal.
ossipeeboater is offline   Reply With Quote