Go Back   Winnipesaukee Forum > Winnipesaukee Forums > General Discussion
Home Forums Gallery Webcams Blogs YouTube Channel Classifieds Calendar Register FAQDonate Members List Today's Posts

Closed Thread

Old 09-09-2023, 03:33 PM   #1
dmjr

Default The attitude of people

I am just taken back how the attitude of people this summer has been at its worst.

This afternoon I had to goto Meredith.

I pulled into Hannafords, found a parking spot. I happened to make it before the other person. As I was walking into the store the individual then yelled a few choice words to me from their vehicle and gave me a hand gesture.

Is this the new normal thing to do now?

Sent from my iPhone using Winnipesaukee Forum mobile app
Old 09-09-2023, 04:10 PM   #2
1helpfulhandyman

Default Parking lot

If that upset you you probably shouldn't visit new York...lol
Old 09-09-2023, 04:31 PM   #3
Sue Doe-Nym

Default It all depends…….

Quote:
Originally Posted by dmjr View Post
I am just taken back how the attitude of people this summer has been at its worst.

I pulled into Hannafords, found a parking spot. I happened to make it before the other person. As I was walking into the store the individual then yelled a few choice words to me from their vehicle and gave me a hand gesture.

If the other person had been waiting for that space with their turn signal on, and you sneakily beat them to the spot, I suppose they were frustrated and upset.
Rude, for sure, but that parking situation is terrible!
P.S. If any of you remember the scene with Kathy Bates in the movie Fried Green Tomatoes, when some young smarties outfoxed her in a hilarious parking space fiasco….makes me chuckle just thinking about it!

Last edited by Sue Doe-Nym; 09-09-2023 at 04:42 PM. Reason: Adding
Old 09-09-2023, 04:58 PM   #4
Cobalt 12
Banned

Quote:

Absolutely that is the NORM. Today's society is terrible and it has and has been moving into New Hampshire for quite some time. Maybe in your own small circle of life, things might be ok. But in today's world it's terrible. And it is only going to get worse never better. The CHINESE COVID DISEASE has ruined our planet for the remaining time YOU/I/US have on it. It is like that everywhere.
New Hampshire is one of the 4 best states to live in. HOWEVER, it has and is changing to trash along with the Country. Just much slower but you see it more and more every single day, in all walks of life in NH now.

Common sense is dead, manners are dead, politeness is dead, and it's the Damn Politics that is continuing the spiral downwards. Caravans of Illegal aliens with be showing up more and more even in the smallest towns such as Wolfeboro, Meredith, Alton and there is nothing any of us can do about it.

So, YES IMHO, this is the " NEW NORM ". I do not believe you or I or anyone else is going to change the direction we are going in. It will get worse before it implodes. I'm old, been around along time and truly believe I will be gone off this earth before it does. What bothers me to NO end is my Grand Children will be paying the piper for what's happening and they have no part of it now.
Dmjr, I hope I'm wrong and didn't ruin your day, But you asked !! May GOD Bless you and your family, Our Country, but we have been seeing this coming year after year after year.
I am a Realist and this is how I see our planet now.
The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to Cobalt 12 For This Useful Post:
ACME on the Broads (09-12-2023), ApS (09-09-2023), BroadHopper (09-10-2023), ishoot308 (09-09-2023), joey2665 (09-09-2023), Reilly (09-11-2023), SAB1 (09-10-2023)
Old 09-09-2023, 05:52 PM   #5
Garcia

Quote:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cobalt 12 View Post
Absolutely that is the NORM. Today's society is terrible and it has and has been moving into New Hampshire for quite some time. Maybe in your own small circle of life, things might be ok. But in today's world it's terrible. And it is only going to get worse never better. The CHINESE COVID DISEASE has ruined our planet for the remaining time YOU/I/US have on it. It is like that everywhere.
New Hampshire is one of the 4 best states to live in. HOWEVER, it has and is changing to trash along with the Country. Just much slower but you see it more and more every single day, in all walks of life in NH now.

Common sense is dead, manners are dead, politeness is dead, and it's the Damn Politics that is continuing the spiral downwards. Caravans of Illegal aliens with be showing up more and more even in the smallest towns such as Wolfeboro, Meredith, Alton and there is nothing any of us can do about it.

So, YES IMHO, this is the " NEW NORM ". I do not believe you or I or anyone else is going to change the direction we are going in. It will get worse before it implodes. I'm old, been around along time and truly believe I will be gone off this earth before it does. What bothers me to NO end is my Grand Children will be paying the piper for what's happening and they have no part of it now.
Dmjr, I hope I'm wrong and didn't ruin your day, But you asked !! May GOD Bless you and your family, Our Country, but we have been seeing this coming year after year after year.
"Optimists may be wrong just as often as pessimists - but they have more fun" - unknown

I choose to be an optimist.

Last edited by Garcia; 09-09-2023 at 07:56 PM. Reason: Typo
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Garcia For This Useful Post:
FlyingScot (09-09-2023), wobbelbill (09-10-2023)
Sponsored Links
Old 09-09-2023, 06:36 PM   #6
LoveLakeLife

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sue Doe-Nym View Post
If the other person had been waiting for that space with their turn signal on, and you sneakily beat them to the spot, I suppose they were frustrated and upset.
P.S. If any of you remember the scene with Kathy Bates in the movie Fried Green Tomatoes, when some young smarties outfoxed her in a hilarious parking space fiasco….makes me chuckle just thinking about it!
“I have more insurance!”

The Following User Says Thank You to LoveLakeLife For This Useful Post:
brk-lnt (09-12-2023)
Old 09-09-2023, 06:52 PM   #7
thinkxingu

Thanked 1,963 Times in 1,213 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Garcia View Post

I choose [to] be an optimist.
Agreed.

Sent from my SM-S911U using Tapatalk
The Following User Says Thank You to thinkxingu For This Useful Post:
Dad207 (09-10-2023)
Old 09-09-2023, 08:06 PM   #8
DRH

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sue Doe-Nym View Post
I remember that scenel She got the parking spot by smashing into their car, then told them that she "has more insurance!". Very funny scene.

Last edited by DRH; 09-09-2023 at 08:09 PM. Reason: Just after posting my note I saw that LoveLakeLife saw the movie too!
Old 09-09-2023, 08:11 PM   #9
ishoot308

Thanked 4,942 Times in 1,917 Posts
Default Welcome To The New World

Quote:

Yes…yes it is…unfortunately….

Dan
Old 09-09-2023, 08:14 PM   #10
WinnisquamZ

That parking lot is terrible

Old 09-10-2023, 12:43 AM   #11
John Mercier

Quote:

Quote:

We explained that this was happening before covid.
It is due to a change in elderly housing formation, and requires customer efficiencies that may be beyond the scope of many.
Old 09-10-2023, 06:50 AM   #12
fatlazyless

Exclamation .... install 3 orange delineator posts just before the first Rt 25 opening

Heading north on Route 25 from the big Meredith stoplights intersection of Routes 3 and 25, there is an illegal left turn entry which many drivers will use to go into the parking lot at the Meredith Hannaford. This illegal left turn entry never gets enforced by the police so everyone does it. This Hannafords parking lot was designed to be entered at the main entry when driving north, or at either of the two entries when driving in the opposite south direction, and cars entering incorrectly into the south entry while driving north is what makes the traffic inside the parking area so congested.

If the NH-DoT will install three bright orange, 42' delineator posts, price-$17.97-each at www.trans-supply.com traffic pylons, just to the south of the south opening to keep this from happening, it will help eliminate the traffic congestion in the parking lot because that is what was intended when this parking lot was designed.

Here in crazy Meredith that olde Nahamsha idiom that "good fences make for good neighbors" definitely applies to ye congested Hannaford parking lot ..... a-yuh! .....
Old 09-10-2023, 08:05 AM   #13
Biggd

Thanked 1,071 Times in 676 Posts

Quote:

It's happening all over American. I attribute it to entitlement, overcrowding and social media, JMO.
Our leaders need to be spreading more kindness instead of hate. That mite be a good place to start!
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Biggd For This Useful Post:
FlyingScot (09-10-2023), magicrobotmonkey (09-12-2023)
Old 09-10-2023, 08:06 AM   #14
SAMIAM

Thanked 1,626 Times in 562 Posts

All the stories of rude and thoughtless people are true but I've also witnessed many acts of kindness and consideration for others as well.
I've noticed that when traffic is backed up on rt 25 in front of the Irving station, cars that are leaving the station are almost immediately let out into the line....same goes for the two lanes that merge after the light. Drivers mostly always alternate to let others into line.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to SAMIAM For This Useful Post:
ACME on the Broads (09-12-2023), Biggd (09-10-2023)
Old 09-10-2023, 08:36 AM   #15
John Mercier

I have seen that also.
And so many other acts of kindness.

But the cause is really basic.
As we age... and the industry suggests about 55 years old is the start... we begin seriously preparing for retirement. For the 55 to retirement crowd, this may be a second home in our area that will either turn into their retirement final home... or a seasonal primary/second home. For the retired, they have at least partially completed the transition and the home becomes the primary... with it possible to become a seasonal primary/secondary home if they purchase a home ''down south''.

For a business... the parking is hard facility. It generally can't grow... it is as was designed during its construction; and the layout is serious planning board input.

So as we age, our area sees more seasonal and weekend traffic. The parking, that worked perfect before this phenomena reaches its peak in the coming years, is not enough cannot handle the surge.
Those of us that live here, either permanent or retired seasonal, must adapt our schedules to allow for the pre-retiree/second home weekenders to shop on Friday afternoon, Saturday morning, and Sunday afternoon as they enter our marketplace - thus improving customer efficiency and flow.

Our whole Meredith location was rebuilt not too many years ago around this phenomena. We changed the entire layout... moved the electric grid to underground to increase parking options.. and changed our schedule from half day Saturdays to full day adding Sunday. We openly discussed expanding hours Friday night and adding delivery on Saturdays... but decided against it.

Businesses are trying to adapt to the current norm... as we expect it to happen for quite a while... but something like hard facility is impossible to overcome. So as much as we can increase our customers' efficient use... the better experience we can deliver.
Old 09-10-2023, 08:36 AM   #16
sunset on the dock

We definitely are seeing it on the lake. People who think everyone wants to listen to their loud music from their boats (especially wake boats) and now even the jet skis are playing loud music. We have some entitled neighbors who feel it is OK to have their kids play very loud music all afternoon from their house. And they have the wake boat and jet ski music as well. Yes, no doubt we'll hear from some who insist that the lake belongs to everyone, or "move to Golden Pond" or "go inside and shut the windows" (even though it is 90 degrees F) but in reality common courtesy and concern for one's neighbors is severely lacking. Live Free or Die does not excuse rude and selfish behavior.
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to sunset on the dock For This Useful Post:
ACME on the Broads (09-12-2023), ApS (09-10-2023), Fishcat (09-11-2023), FlyingScot (09-10-2023), XCR-700 (09-12-2023)
Old 09-10-2023, 08:46 AM   #17
Biggd

Quote:
Originally Posted by sunset on the dock View Post
We definitely are seeing it on the lake. People who think everyone wants to listen to their loud music from their boats (especially wake boats) and now even the jet skis are playing loud music. We have some entitled neighbors who feel it is OK to have their kids play very loud music all afternoon from their house. And they have the wake boat and jet ski music as well. Yes, no doubt we'll hear from some who insist that the lake belongs to everyone, or "move to Golden Pond" or "go inside and shut the windows" (even though it is 90 degrees F) but in reality common courtesy and concern for one's neighbors is severely lacking. Live Free or Die does not excuse rude and selfish behavior.
It amazes me how far sound travels across open water. My waterfront is on a bay and sometimes I can hear people whispering on their dock across the bay, and I'm going deaf.
The Following User Says Thank You to Biggd For This Useful Post:
sunset on the dock (09-10-2023)
Old 09-10-2023, 01:26 PM   #18
The Real BigGuy

Quote:
Originally Posted by sunset on the dock View Post
I happen to like music. What I don’t like is people playing it like everybody on the whole lake wants to hear what they’re playing. Last weekend at 6 am some clown slows for the no wake zone and cranks his rap music to 10. My buddy would call him an A1 a__hat. Totally oblivious to the fact that other people may be sleeping.

The Following User Says Thank You to The Real BigGuy For This Useful Post:
Jeanzb1 (09-10-2023)
Old 09-10-2023, 01:43 PM   #19
dickiej

Once again, here ya go… Re: Former Facebook exec: "I think we have created tools that are ripping apart the social fabric of how society works. The short-term, dopamine-driven feedback loops we’ve created are destroying how society works. No civil discourse, no cooperation; misinformation, mistruth. You are being programmed"
The Following User Says Thank You to dickiej For This Useful Post:
JayR (09-12-2023)
Old 09-10-2023, 01:46 PM   #20
dickiej

Social media will be the death of civilization.
The Following User Says Thank You to dickiej For This Useful Post:
Biggd (09-10-2023)
Old 09-10-2023, 01:58 PM   #21
John Mercier

But noise has played a large factor in complaints since the 70s as far as I can remember.

Homeowners were upset by the noise of motorcycles ever increasing exhaust note, OHRV were soon to follow, and even snowmobiles became a culprit.

On-highway vehicles radio and exhaust noise has been an issue maybe even far longer.

All this way before computers, never mind social media, became a thing.

Boats are no longer allowed to run open headers on the lake for a reason.
Old 09-10-2023, 02:30 PM   #22
mcdude

Thanked 1,044 Times in 490 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Real BigGuy View Post
Last weekend at 6 am some clown slows for the no wake zone and cranks his rap music to 10. My buddy would call him an A1 a__hat. Totally oblivious to the fact that other people may be sleeping.

I am sorry to say that he wasn't oblivious.....he just didn't care how his actions might affect others. "It's all about ME!!!"

Old 09-10-2023, 07:25 PM   #23
Biggd

Quote:
Originally Posted by dickiej View Post
Social media will be the death of civilization.
The biggest problem is our enemies, Russia, China, and others, are trolling our websites inciting violence with anti-American propaganda.
They infiltrate websites with hate filled posts pitting Americans against Americans. They stir up hate by flooding these sites with misinformation and lies, like throwing gas on a fire.
People have to be aware that much of what they read on the web is misinformation and it's only going to get worse with AI!
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Biggd For This Useful Post:
ApS (09-10-2023), Flylady (09-12-2023), sunset on the dock (09-10-2023)
Old 09-10-2023, 07:56 PM   #24
FlyingScot

Quote:
Originally Posted by Biggd View Post
The biggest problem is our enemies, Russia, China, and others, are trolling our websites inciting violence with anti-American propaganda.
They infiltrate websites with hate filled posts pitting Americans against Americans. They stir up hate by flooding these sites with misinformation and lies, like throwing gas on a fire.
People have to be aware that much of what they read on the web is misinformation and it's only going to get worse with AI!
Agreed. We all need to be aware and to work to keep the anger out of our hearts
The Following User Says Thank You to FlyingScot For This Useful Post:
sunset on the dock (09-10-2023)
Old 09-10-2023, 08:26 PM   #25
Loub52

Quote:

I try to park over by Aubuchon to avoid the occasional Hannaford parking mayhem
Old 09-10-2023, 08:56 PM   #26
ApS

Question R.o.w.

Quote:
I am just taken back how the attitude of people this summer has been at its worst. This afternoon I had to goto Meredith. I pulled into Hannafords, found a parking spot. I happened to make it before the other person. As I was walking into the store the individual then yelled a few choice words to me from their vehicle and gave me a hand gesture. Is this the new normal thing to do now?
Depends...

If the other driver was approaching from the right, wouldn't he have an expectation of the right of way?
Old 09-10-2023, 10:04 PM   #27
John Mercier

I think the two vehicles would need to meet head-on.

I used to avoid going out to lunch on a Friday or Saturday, especially from May 1st to Thanksgiving as a means to avoid/limit the congestion.
Old 09-11-2023, 10:40 AM   #28
Cobaltdeadhead

Older generations think they behave(d) better than younger generations and the world was better off in the past

.....tale as old as time

I'm almost 48. My grandparents said this about my parents generation, my parents generation have said it about mine, my generation says it millennials and millennials say it about Gen Z. Gen z will say it about Gen Alpha
The Following User Says Thank You to Cobaltdeadhead For This Useful Post:
farechofisherman (09-11-2023)
Old 09-11-2023, 10:45 AM   #29
John Mercier

I'm GenX, and I don't notice it in the Millennial or the GenZ.

I think it may because they are less often to have second homes... so they are either in the area or only visiting sporadically... and have more structured lives that due to employment.
Old 09-11-2023, 11:28 AM   #30
Garcia

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cobaltdeadhead View Post
Older generations think they behave(d) better than younger generations and the world was better off in the past

.....tale as old as time

I'm almost 48. My grandparents said this about my parents generation, my parents generation have said it about mine, my generation says it millennials and millennials say it about Gen Z. Gen z will say it about Gen Alpha
I'm 55. The rudest, most flagrant rule breakers I see on Winnipesaukee appear to be about my age (roughly) or older.
Old 09-11-2023, 11:52 AM   #31
Major

Thanked 1,000 Times in 415 Posts

Quote:
I'm 55. The rudest, most flagrant rule breakers I see on Winnipesaukee appear to be about my age (roughly) or older.
I agree. I'm 58 and feel the same way. My brother is 47 and his friends are the same way, and they are much more chill and easygoing than me or friends my age or older.

Funny story. Stopped by Burrito Me last Friday at lunchtime. I haven't been there for a LONG time, probably 6 or 7 years. Anyway, there was a kiosk at the door and another kiosk at the counter, where a woman was waiting on someone at the counter. I patiently waited until the transaction was done and approached the woman at the counter kiosk to place my order. As I started placing my order, a guy at the kiosk at the door started yelling at the woman, apparently upset because he was having difficulty placing his order and didn't know that you could also place it with the woman. He may have been 10 years older than me. Anyway, I told the guy he was more than welcome to go ahead of me, I didn't think I was cutting anyone, but given how upset he was I wasn't sure. He received his burrito first. Then a woman who went to the kiosk at the door and got her order in before me received her order. No worries. When my name was called, the guy who made the burrito confided that he wanted so badly to make mine first just to see what the guy did. I said I would have paid extra for that!

Personally, I do think that behavior (including my own) has gotten worse over the past few years. It may be a coincidence with COVID, or a culmination of the bad effects of social media. Notwithstanding the cause, we all need to recommit ourselves to being more patient, myself included. I honestly cannot imagine my grandparents behaving the way I see people now behave.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Major For This Useful Post:
magicrobotmonkey (09-12-2023), Roy_Hobbs (09-11-2023)
Old 09-11-2023, 12:12 PM   #32
Biggd

A few months ago I was in line at Home Depot getting a few items. The couple in front of me had a large purchase, over $500. As I was walking out they were loading the material they bought into their car.
As I walked by I mentioned to them that I had a 10% coupon in my truck that they could have, I wasn't going to use because you had to spend $300 or more.
I went to get my truck and drove over to where they were parked and gave them the coupon so they could go to the service desk and get a refund.
The women was all smiles and said thank you and the husband looked at my license plate and said, "and you're from Mass"?
Old 09-11-2023, 03:19 PM   #33
ITD

I go to that Hannaford's a lot. But I will generally grab a spot far away from the "action" area and walk, so no issues there.

I find that people who act like you saw have something else going on in their lives, so I just ignore when things like that happen. Life is too short to let some miserable person bring me down.
Old 09-11-2023, 04:55 PM   #34
Descant

Thanked 1,518 Times in 985 Posts

How many of you belong to a service club (Lions, Rotary, Shrine, etc.)? Locally, it appears these groups aren't replacing members as rapidly as they used to and have declining membership. Point is, people don't want to help others as much as they used to. NH is run by volunteers--selectmen, school board, legislature, etc. Very difficult these days to recruit for planning board for example, but there are plenty who go online and complain about the people who do serve others. If you haven't served your community, it's not too late. Meals on Wheels needs drivers, just a couple of hours one day a week, Adopt A Road, a couple of hours twice a year, start going to church again, one hour a week...you'll feel better and we'll all get along better.
Today's the day. 22 years ago, we all learned a lot about getting along.
The Following User Says Thank You to Descant For This Useful Post:
ishoot308 (09-11-2023)
Old 09-11-2023, 05:34 PM   #35
ishoot308

Thanked 4,942 Times in 1,917 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Descant View Post
How many of you belong to a service club (Lions, Rotary, Shrine, etc.)? Locally, it appears these groups aren't replacing members as rapidly as they used to and have declining membership. Point is, people don't want to help others as much as they used to. NH is run by volunteers--selectmen, school board, legislature, etc. Very difficult these days to recruit for planning board for example, but there are plenty who go online and complain about the people who do serve others. If you haven't served your community, it's not too late. Meals on Wheels needs drivers, just a couple of hours one day a week, Adopt A Road, a couple of hours twice a year, start going to church again, one hour a week...you'll feel better and we'll all get along better.
Today's the day. 22 years ago, we all learned a lot about getting along.
Well said!

Dan
Old 09-11-2023, 06:16 PM   #36
LikeLakes

I am an optimist as well. And I'm not going to engage in the "world is going to %#&@# because of _______ (fill in your grievance)" discussion. No problem that it's being discussed, just don't want to join in.

But ... I'm going to tell a story from last weekend that will be patting myself on the back, and absolutely made my day. I was at a very busy gas station with a bunch of pump lanes, came around the back side to an open slot and another pickup came around facing me at the same time. I think maybe I had the lead by 6' but truly a dead heat from a parking lot standpoint. I saw the driver make an annoyed gesture (not rude, I think just frustrated), and I backed up and waved for him to take the spot. I waited in another line, had to switch one more time, then finally got a spot 5 minutes later.

I was filling some gas cans with my head down and someone said "excuse me, can I shake your hand?" It was the guy in the other pickup, nice gentleman with a Viet Nam era submarine cap on. He thanked me, I said "hey we were tied, figured why not let you go" and he said right, but nobody does that any more. I asked about his service and we talked for a few, headed on our way.

Yes I'm a nice guy at times , but my point is it seriously made me feel so good, so happy to have simply been polite and be rewarded by meeting a nice guy who appreciated it and was able to thank him for serving in the process. Great experience. (Not looking for any attaboys by telling this)
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to LikeLakes For This Useful Post:
Descant (09-12-2023), ITD (09-12-2023), JayR (09-12-2023)
Old 09-11-2023, 06:21 PM   #37
Woodsy

IMHO, it all coincides with the rise of the internet and subsequent explosion of the clickbait 24/7 365 news feed. We started to see glimpses under Obie, but it came to fruition under Trump. It's called PERMACRISIS! The news sites figured out they more agitated we the people are, the more $$$ they make. Subsequently, the news sites aligned themselves to the left or right depending on their audience. Covid and its lockdowns are just the icing on the cake! That agitation has now spilled over into everyday life... the sense of entitlement, poor manners, people acting like only their opinion/beliefs matter, people losing friends because of politics, disrespect for law enforcement, etc. etc. etc.! People became keyboard warriors and now they think that behavior is OK in the real world.

Woodsy
ApS (09-11-2023), Biggd (09-11-2023), farechofisherman (09-11-2023), SAB1 (09-12-2023), TiltonBB (09-12-2023)
Old 09-11-2023, 06:42 PM   #38
Biggd

Quote:
I'm 69 and retired. I try to avoid confrontation whenever possible and I'm not a rule breaker by nature.
I'm in no rush to get anywhere anymore and under no stress so it's just not worth letting people get under my skin.
That being said, I have let a few trolls online get under my skin on occasion. So I can see how easy it is for them to get people rattled online.
Old 09-11-2023, 07:11 PM   #39
Dad207

Location: Summer home at Echo Shores, Minge Cove; home in Baltimore MD
Default Context, Context, Context...

i often think that we fail, now as in the past, to recognize a couple of fundamental issues about our understanding of other's behavior:

1. We don't know what kind of day the supposed malefactors have had: we don't know if their spouse was just diagnosed with cancer, or if their dog just died; possibly their son just called the to say that he was getting divorced. Perhaps they were having a very bad day, for reasons we will never know. You've had those day, right, Did you act perfectly in every interaction?

2. We should never attribute to malice, or rudeness what can be explained by ignorance or inattention. We all make mistakes, we get distracted from our primary tasks, we are wrong about our knowledge, our position in the queue, the local rule or protocol, and sometimes don't see a car signaling as we look into the sun. Things happen, in part, because we are mistaken.

Give folks a break, lead by positive example, kill with kindness, and try to remember that that other guy or gal may just be having the worst day of his or her life for reasons you'll never know.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Dad207 For This Useful Post:
Biggd (09-12-2023), ITD (09-12-2023), LikeLakes (09-11-2023)
Old 09-11-2023, 07:20 PM   #40
John Mercier

Well, to my knowledge, the BoS, School Board, and Legislature are all paid - volunteers are not.

The major service organizations that exist seem to be focused on their ''canteens''; so also a moral conundrum.

The younger generations are showing less time in church - much more time on the internet/social media - and they don't seem to have the problem.

So I am a bit hesitant to believe that any of these things are the basis of the situation.
Old 09-11-2023, 09:23 PM   #41
LikeLakes

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dad207 View Post
i often think that we fail, now as in the past, to recognize a couple of fundamental issues about our understanding of other's behavior:

1. We don't know what kind of day the supposed malefactors have had: we don't know if their spouse was just diagnosed with cancer, or if their dog just died; possibly their son just called the to say that he was getting divorced. Perhaps they were having a very bad day, for reasons we will never know. You've had those day, right, Did you act perfectly in every interaction?

2. We should never attribute to malice, or rudeness what can be explained by ignorance or inattention. We all make mistakes, we get distracted from our primary tasks, we are wrong about our knowledge, our position in the queue, the local rule or protocol, and sometimes don't see a car signaling as we look into the sun. Things happen, in part, because we are mistaken.

Give folks a break, lead by positive example, kill with kindness, and try to remember that that other guy or gal may just be having the worst day of his or her life for reasons you'll never know.
Great post, appreciate the perspective!
Old 09-11-2023, 09:58 PM   #42
John Mercier

Bad days I've seen.

This isn't all them having a bad day... some of it is them causing a bad day.
Some of these people have been around long enough to know what they are doing is wrong. They do it anyways.
Closed Thread