Go Back   Winnipesaukee Forum > Winnipesaukee Forums > Boating
Home Forums Gallery Webcams Blogs YouTube Channel Classifieds Calendar Register FAQDonate Members List Today's Posts

Old 05-16-2009, 08:04 PM   #1
Jidge

Default GPS for Winni

Does anybody have any good suggestions for a low to moderately priced GPS for the lake. I would probably go as high as 400. Also should I get a fixed or handheld
Thanks
Jidge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2009, 08:21 PM   #2
meredith weekender

Thumbs up

We bought a permanent GPS unit about 7 years ago. The unit was purchased from Winnisquam Marine and it cost about $45o for the unit, installation and the Winipesaukee chip. We feel that the GPS unit is a great tool for navigating the big lake at night. When I get out to the boat again, I will get the make and model number for you.
meredith weekender is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2009, 09:17 PM   #3
Bear Island South

there was a thread a couple of weeks ago, check out the link

http://www.winnipesaukee.com/forums/...ead.php?t=7636
Bear Island South is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2009, 11:04 PM   #4
rick35

Default Lowrance XOG

I bought a Lowrance XOG with Navionics Hotmaps card last year and its probably the lowest price GPS you'll find that offers a decent map of Lake Winnipesaukee.

I bought the XOG as it was the only car-type model that would take a Navionics card. I borrowed a Navionics Platinum card thinking that it would offer the best map of Winnipesaukee but I found that markers were missing where I tried it out. Surprisingly the low end Navionics Handheld card that came with the XOG offers very accurate marker placement. I have yet to find a marker missing or out of position. The cheapest Navionics card works better on Winnipesaukee than their most expensive version.

TigerGPS.com is offering the XOG for $200.39 with the Handheld card. I thought $250 was a good deal last year when I bought mine but you can't beat this price. While the GPS has a rechargeable battery I find that it doesn't hold a charge long enough to use without the power cord. Also it is difficult (but usable) to see in bright sunlight which is probably not unlike most other small units. It works great in the car.

http://www.tigergps.com/lowrancexoglakes.html
rick35 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2009, 10:33 PM   #5
codeman671

This has been discussed many times. Look on Ebay or various other sites for a Standard Horizon CP180I. You can buy one for about $375.00. The Cmap chip is the best cartography and the CP180I is the best unit to run it IMHO.
codeman671 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links