Go Back   Winnipesaukee Forum > Winnipesaukee Forums > Boating
Home Forums Gallery Webcams Blogs YouTube Channel Classifieds Calendar Register FAQDonate Members List Today's Posts

Old 05-26-2012, 09:40 AM   #1
fonnie23

Default Which area lakes have places you can "boat to"?

My young family and I are looking for a lake where we can take a boat ride and actually "go somewhere and dock", such as a general store, a town, or similar, as opposed to just boating around a lake.

Which local lakes (aside from the obvious Winnipesaukee) have places like this, i.e., where you can tie up your boat somewhere?

Thanks!
fonnie23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2012, 05:57 AM   #2
RLW

fonnie23, I just noticed that you are fairly new to the forum and glad you have joined us. Have fun and enjoy the Winni Forum while making many new friends. I’m not familiar with all the lakes that have what you are looking for, but I’m sure you will get a number of them told to you by the members of the forum. Best of luck looking and enjoy the locations that you will be trying.
Old 05-27-2012, 08:56 PM   #3
jonfinn

Quote:
Originally Posted by fonnie23 View Post
My young family and I are looking for a lake where we can take a boat ride and actually "go somewhere and dock", such as a general store, a town, or similar, as opposed to just boating around a lake.

Which local lakes (aside from the obvious Winnipesaukee) have places like this, i.e., where you can tie up your boat somewhere?

Thanks!
The only other NH lakes I've been on are Sunapee and Squam. They are both much smaller than Winni.

Sunapee: Pretty lake and easy to boat on. Clearly marked areas. There are a few "rafting" spots that people like. There are three main public docks: Sunapee Harbor, Georges Mills and Newbury. Newbury and Sunapee Harbor have a couple of restaurants and shops nearby.

Squam: Beautiful lake but you have to be careful to read the markings. Lots of submerged rocks. They're marked, but pay attention. Squam has many islands you can either anchor near, or in some cases, dock at (where most of Winni's islands are privately owned).

Both lakes tend to be inhabited by boats 20' or less, where Winni has boats of many sizes. Obviously it has the widest range of attractions!

Whatever floats your boat!
(crap. did I say that out loud?)
jonfinn is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to jonfinn For This Useful Post:
fonnie23 (05-28-2012)
Old 05-28-2012, 07:30 AM   #4
SAMIAM

Thanked 1,626 Times in 562 Posts

Let me add Winnisquam to the mix......pretty lake, but there is very little to do by boat. Couple of restaurants and stores. If you want to relax, cruise and ski, it's great. You can always find some flat water, even on weekends.
SAMIAM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2012, 08:22 AM   #5
BroadHopper

Thanked 1,090 Times in 784 Posts
Default Winnisquam

has an awesome public launch ramp. Parking is limited so get there just after the fish boats leave but before the day crowd. There is an awesome sand bar next to the bridge. If it rains, the sand bar crowd ducks under the bridge!

Newfound Lake has a nice launch ramp at Wellington State Park. Plenty of parking! Very clean lake, very few rocks. Lots of rafting.

Ossipee Lake is also very clean. I have not been boating there in years. It use to have accomodations at Totem Pole park. Not sure if it is still there.

Squam is mentioned above. The Squam lake property owners are still fuming about the public dock and still insist the boaters introduced the milfoil. What they don't believe is that they may be the one to bring it in on one of their own boats. I'd stay away from the properties as you boat. Great lake for pontooning and because of rocks, I would change to an aluminum prop if you have an SS.

Kanasaka, and Opechee are great lakes for waterskiing and fishing, little else.

Wicwas has a diving cliff at one end. There is an island in the middle of the lake that kind of push boaters within the 150' rule. Most people ignore it but respect passage.

Last edited by BroadHopper; 05-29-2012 at 12:08 PM. Reason: spelling
BroadHopper is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 05-28-2012, 03:11 PM   #6
jogator1

Default Wicwas

Thanks Broadhopper. Do you know where on Wicwas the dive rock is located?
jogator1 is offline   Reply With Quote