Go Back   Winnipesaukee Forum > Winnipesaukee Forums > Boating
Home Forums Gallery Webcams Blogs YouTube Channel Classifieds Calendar Register FAQDonate Members List Today's Posts

Old 05-24-2012, 07:12 AM   #1
LostInNH

Default New To Winni boating

So I have traveled up to enjoy the lake a few times in the past year, staying in salmon meadow cove. I've only gone out on a canoe around the area. This year I will be able to bring my 18.5 glastron runabout. Not too impressive compared with some of the boats I've seen around but it does the job perfectly.

I've been told to put in at the ramp in center harbor and I cannot find any reliable information about the size of the ramp (how many lanes) and about parking. I'm assuming it will be very busy on a mid june saturday. How crazy will it be to tow it out on a sunday a week later?

And a google maps search did not find any nearby marinas with gas except Sheps, is this accurate?

I think I'm all set with my LakeWinni Bizer chart downloaded into my iPhone. I will literally take the boating exam the day before in concord and have updated all my safety equipment (they aren't too demanding in Worcester). I have two anchors but only about 150 feet of line, will this be enough? Its more than enough in Quinsig.

Anything else anyone can think of? Any tips on where to go to ski or just anchor and picnic, or pull up and eat?

I have been an avid boater mainly in south florida offshore waters and am new to lake boating. So I can help with any questions you may have about beautiful Worcester, Ma. or Miami boating.

Thanks for all your help
LostInNH
LostInNH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2012, 09:04 AM   #2
NoBozo

Quote:
Originally Posted by LostInNH View Post
So I have traveled up to enjoy the lake a few times in the past year, staying in salmon meadow cove. I've only gone out on a canoe around the area. This year I will be able to bring my 18.5 glastron runabout. Not too impressive compared with some of the boats I've seen around but it does the job perfectly.

I've been told to put in at the ramp in center harbor and I cannot find any reliable information about the size of the ramp (how many lanes) and about parking. I'm assuming it will be very busy on a mid june saturday. How crazy will it be to tow it out on a sunday a week later?

And a google maps search did not find any nearby marinas with gas except Sheps, is this accurate?

I think I'm all set with my LakeWinni Bizer chart downloaded into my iPhone. I will literally take the boating exam the day before in concord and have updated all my safety equipment (they aren't too demanding in Worcester). I have two anchors but only about 150 feet of line, will this be enough? Its more than enough in Quinsig.

Anything else anyone can think of? Any tips on where to go to ski or just anchor and picnic, or pull up and eat?

I have been an avid boater mainly in south florida offshore waters and am new to lake boating. So I can help with any questions you may have about beautiful Worcester, Ma. or Miami boating.

Thanks for all your help
LostInNH
The Center Harbor ramp is One Lane wide and will be perfect for your boat. I can't tell you about trailer parking at the ramp but IF you are renting a camp for a week, I recommend taking the trailer back to the camp and park it there.

Get a PAPER Chart of the lake to back up your cell phone chart.

A 150' of anchor line is plenty. Add a few feet of chain to the anchor end of the line. Three to four feet of chain would be the minimum. Six feet would be better NB

PS: You might want to verify that you will actually GET your boating certificate imediately after taking the test. In RI, they Mail It to you a week or two later. They didn't give me anything until they scored the test...which was next week....
NoBozo is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to NoBozo For This Useful Post:
LostInNH (05-31-2012)
Old 05-24-2012, 11:55 AM   #3
cillovely

Definatly get the paper copy, I use that thing contstantly. I even start to study it a few weeks before we go up. Might want to splurge for the laminate one.

If my memory serves me correctly our tests were graded right there and we got a paper version of the card to have until our plastic ones came in. We took our test in Nashua.

Not exactly sure where Salmon Meadow Cove is, but a great place to anchor and chill is over in West Alton at the sand bar. The water is only about 3 feet deep and a great place to eat, swim and just hang out. You can't miss it, there are usually about 10+ boats there at any given time.

I can't remember the name of the marina we used for gas last summer, but it's in West Alton as well. The bizer map will show the marinas with gas.
cillovely is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to cillovely For This Useful Post:
LostInNH (05-31-2012)
Old 05-24-2012, 12:39 PM   #4
jrc

Not really my end of the lake, but I don't remember there being a lot places to buy fuel near Center Harbor. Since you're trailering, why not fill up on land before you launch?

The best place to anchor and picnic around there is what we call Patrician shores. It's in the center of this map

http://www.bing.com/maps/?v=2&cp=r8f...=b&form=LMLTCC

Be careful getting in there it's rocky but well marked out in front.

You are also pretty close to Braun Bay, search this site for more info.
jrc is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to jrc For This Useful Post:
LostInNH (05-31-2012)
Old 05-24-2012, 12:51 PM   #5
jrc

Oh, the two lake rules that will surprise you the most:

150' rule - you must slow to headway speed within 150' of other boats or shore. Give everyone a wide berth.

No rafting zones - the best place to raft on the lake are designated NRZ. You can't tie more than 2 boats together and you need to keep 25' between anchored boats. 50' if two boats are tied together.

The biggest difference with Florida is rocks. If you go on the wrong side of the markers you will quickly be in the rocks. It's not like the markers only apply to big boats. The marker have logic but it's not perfect, use the chart.
The Following User Says Thank You to jrc For This Useful Post:
LostInNH (05-31-2012)
Sponsored Links
Old 05-24-2012, 01:02 PM   #6
NH_boater

A few more thoughts.

Storms come in really quick over the mountain ranges so watch the Sky's. Better yet, get VHF. I have a floating portable VHF that I have for two reasons, emergency calls, and weather monitoring. It alarms on approaching storms giving a little time to react. Your 18.5 footer will be great for most (calm) days just about anywhere on the lake. A real windy day or approaching storm will challenge your 18.5 footer more than most are comfortable.

I like my paper chart, even with GPS on board.

Two anchors are required for time on the sand bars, as you already have. 150 feet of line should be fine for your primary. 50' on the stern anchor is fine.

Winni can be interesting if you are not used to rocky lakes. I hear folks say their fine because the water is 25 feet deep. Careful, there are some 23' boulders in 25' of water. Use your chart.

Careful following other boats through unknown areas. Sometimes they are locals that are just avoiding the rocks and shoals. Sometime they are just clueless. Either way, stay on the correct side of the markers, especially while you are new.

If you see a boat floating with the engine hatch up, stop and see if they are all right. I towed a fountain in last year. I stopped to see if he was OK, he was not. Had a fire on board. He said dozens of boats when right by him without checking or helping. Good karma.

Wave to folks as you go by. Many years ago you could not pass a boat without exchanging waves. Today, wave are very rare. I wave even if folks do not wave back. We're on the lake together, wave to say hi.

Lastly, welcome and have fun.
NH_boater is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to NH_boater For This Useful Post:
LostInNH (05-31-2012), SAB1 (05-24-2012)
Old 05-24-2012, 01:41 PM   #7
SAB1

Rocks, Rocks, Rocks ! If you don't know where you are back the throttle down because one boo boo is going to cost you some money quick. If you dont know where you are and don't know the general rules for buoy travel do not follow the possible idiot in front of you. He likely has no idea what he is doing either. Paper map is a must. I have been on the lake for 45+ years and still can get into trouble when in unknown waters. The 150 foot rule...........no problem with it but............90% of people dont pay attention to it.
SAB1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2012, 02:42 PM   #8
NoBozo

Quote:
Originally Posted by cillovely View Post
.....but a great place to anchor and chill is over in West Alton at the sand bar. The water is only about 3 feet deep and a great place to eat, swim and just hang out. You can't miss it, there are usually about 10+ boats there at any given time.
It's always nice, because the water is just a little bit warmer when there's a bunch of boats. NB
Old 05-25-2012, 10:31 AM   #9
SIKSUKR

Regarding "paper" charts. Get a Bizer chart. They are made from waterproof material and I feel are the best.
Old 05-25-2012, 11:01 AM   #10
LostInNH

Thank you for all of the information. I have been reading posts here for a bit now and really enjoy that everyone is very willing to help out. And I agree, I am all about helping out fellow boaters. If we don't who will?

So salmon meadow cove is on the north end of the lake, a couple of coves east of center harbor next to Ash cove. I think officially its part of Moultonboro. I asked about the nearest fuel dock since the boat will be in the water for about a week and will be used daily. Towing it out each time or lugging jerry cans doesn't seem practical.

Thankfully my father made me read all of Chapman's when I was younger before I was able to use our boat. I am just brushing up on the inland bouys and markings as we speak. And I assume I can get a bizer chart in center harbor?

The rocks do make things more interesting. I have been reading posts and sites about the witches and a few other interesting spots. And me without a spare prop. Its all part of the adventure.

Any ideas on how busy to expect the center harbor ramp to be on the weekends? And any good eating spots you can boat up to?

Thanks again, and I will be the guy on the small red glastron waving back!!
Old 05-25-2012, 11:22 AM   #11
@thelake

Default Enjoy!

We have an 18” SeaDoo Challenger Jet boat, it’s a great size for the lake (20-22” might be ideal). Everyone faces challenges/the most severe conditions in the broads, don’t plan to hang out all day, cross and get where you’re going.
On land there’s an Irving gas station about a ¼ mile past the launch (towards Moultonborough). You’ll probably have passed the Irving in Meredith near the Hanniford, just a few miles before the ramp, both with good prices.
Now that we’re “in season” there may be a town representative there to collect a launch fee, hours and fee are posted (Sat/Sun/Holidays 8-5? $10 or $20)
The ramp is great. Single lane, paved, deep enough, dock along side ramp with ladder descending into water/boat. The ramp is a bit narrow. There is parking behind the beach/basketball/tennis courts, on the grass next to the Center Harbor Inn, overflow in the parking lot behind the fire station, trailers up the grassy hill, cars on the pavement.
I don’t think you can leave your trailer overnight in either place.
Our boaters ed cert’s were mailed, but we received temporary slips to use until then.
I can’t wait to try the digital Bizer map, but you can's miss with Bizer's laminated paper map, too.
We brought our boat to that trash filled Quinsigamond lake once, docked and had dinner at Vinny T’s and swore “never again.” (about the lake, miss Vinny T’s)
There are lots of town docks to stop and eat all over Winnipesaukee (skip Melvin Village, nice residential area, no food or shops), hope you have as much fun as we did exploring each town for the first time by water!
@thelake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2012, 12:03 PM   #12
@thelake

Default Center Harbor launch

I’m not an expert on the wait times, but I’d be surprised if you had to wait for more then 2 or 3 boats ahead of you. There’s just not that much parking available.

Salmon Meadow Cove is a hidden jewel…a quite/peaceful end of the lake, great place to have a packed lunch or snack without a lot of company, aside from the wildlife.

There are a fair number of marinas selling gas on the lake, you shouldn’t have a problem finding spots to buy it. Yes, I would imagine Shep’s is closest to you.

EM Heath Hardware, right next to the launch has Bizer charts, as does Sheps. Bizer’s website has a section for eating by boat and marinas that sell gas and his chart has a gas symbol. Buy the laminated folding chart for about $20 as a backup, you won’t regret it! http://bizer.com

Best eating spots are probably Meredith, Laconia, Wolfeboro, Guilford, then Alton…but these are fighting words on this board :-)
Maybe “Town Docks Restaurant” in Meredith or the boardwalk in Laconia are good first stops. There are many good restaurants within walking distance of all the town docks.
Check out the restaurant section (http://www.winnipesaukee.com/forums/...splay.php?f=16) of this message board for some ideas.

We’re headed up in about an hour, we’ll be of the boats (or maybe on our new jetski) waving back!
@thelake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2012, 01:16 PM   #13
MikeF-NH

I don't imagine you will ever have long waits in Center Harbor unless a bass tourney is coming out/putting in there. However, since it's a single ramp, everyone must be courteous which means be ready to launch when its your turn, get our boat away from the launch area and clear the ramp and you'll be fine. They do charge for that ramp during summer months so Sheps might be a better launch as you can store your trailer at the lot at the top left side of the entrance road and its a better facility (with gas).

From Center harbor, the closest gas is Sheps and the other Marina behind Pine Island. There realy is no marinas in the Center Harbor area itself.

Don't rely on "red right return" on the ATON markers as many like to tell me. as you circle islands there are times that red is left and if you are returning to the East side of the lake...well then red right return doesn't work either. Stay south and west of red and north and east of black and you'll be ok.

I nice spot to stop at when cruising is 19 mile bay in Moultonboro. They have gas tanks and an ice cream stand and it's a more quiet part of the lake. BUT be careful; watch the no wake zone around long island bridge. Careful getting through the Six Pack and know where the Graveyard is if you try to go there. There are also gas tanks further into Moultonboro Bay at Melvin Marina if you go that way.

The LONG drive to Alton Bay would give you a couple of places to grab a bite to eat and you can stop at West Alton sand bar.

Wolfboro has public docks and a few places to eat that are convenient to get to. Note that public docks CAN get quite busy and hectic at busy times. Patience and politeness are requred by everyone.

Weirs is a popular part of the lake but very busy in summer so I avoid it. If you go there, be aware of where the Witches are and how to pass Eagle Island. For some reason the western shoreline as you approach the Witches always looks different too me and gets me off my bearing so don't get mesmerized by the shoreline.

It can't be understated how many people underestimate how fericious Winni can get and very quickly. Between wakes and wind, 3 footers can kick up fast that will swamp an 18 footer on plane. I watch the forecast for wind speed. If it's over 15 mph, I stay off the Broads. Look for some smaller and more protected areas near where you dock and find a comfortable way to get there if you have a rough day. Hug protected shorelines but remember...you have to get back. it can be tough to get to some of those areas from Center Harbor.
MikeF-NH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2012, 11:04 AM   #14
jonfinn

Great suggestions and I concur. I have a Garmin GPS with the Winnipesauke map installed. It's great when I'm headed someplace I'm familiar with, but if I'm in unfamiliar areas, I'm double-checking the paper maps like crazy. The map always give you a better "birds eye" perspective.

Don't get seduced by a condition I refer to as "GPS fog" if you catch my drift.

Early on, I trashed a couple of aluminum props because I mis-read the markers. I was lucky it was only the prop. Luckier still it was aluminum and not SS.

The launch at Meredith Bay is good but always busy. They're quite informative for people who are launching for the first time because it's such a visible launch site. They have trailer parking available at the hardware store nearby (Aubuchon) last time I checked. If that fills up, they have another lot further up the road. If you check in with the Police dept., you can leave your trailer at the other lot during your visit. They give you a permit of some kind.

The bizer map has most of the public launch sites listed.

Good luck and enjoy!

Oh, and wave! I always wave back.
jonfinn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2012, 01:07 PM   #15
LostInNH

Thanks for all of the information. I really appreciate it. I have never had problems or run aground at sea, however I was hit stuff several times on Quinsig. Thankfully I got away with only small dings on the prop. So I am a bit apprehensive about a new lake. But from what I have found so far it looks like winni is pretty well charted. So I am feeling better.

Just curious, should I expect to be stopped by the marine patrol more often since I have a mass registered boat?

MikeF-NH, you talk about six pack and the graveyard, I am assuming these are somewhat marked areas after the long island bridge? These are marked as such on the bizer chart?

Does anyone recommend carrying a spare prop with all the rocks?

And Quinsig isn't as trash filled as it used to be. Vinny T's is no more, replaced by a Bucca diBeppo...also not as good...

Thanks again for all the info.
Old 05-30-2012, 01:51 PM   #16
SIKSUKR

The Bizer chart has a blow-up section of the Gaveyard markers and it is labeled The Graveyard with 5 sets of opposing markers.The sixpack area does not show any naming on my Bizer but is located close to the Graveyard off off Long Is,north of Little Bear Is.It is shown on the chart with 3 sets opposing markers west of Little Whortleberry Is.Look at a chart before you venture in these areas so you will be familiar with and looking for them.Some of these places look so wide open when your on the water that you really have to keep an eye out and look for the "squeeze" point between the markers.
Old 05-30-2012, 02:48 PM   #17
jrc

SIKSUKR brings up the challenge of Winnipesaukee, there are rocks where there shouldn't be rocks.

We all expect rocks near shore, on the points of islands or in the narrow back areas, but the witches, the six pack, the graveyard, gull rocks, all seem to be wide open spaces. But lurking a foot or two down are those prop eaters.

Bizer built a business on those hidden rocks, they earned a place on every boat.
Old 05-30-2012, 03:08 PM   #18
NoBozo

Quote:
Originally Posted by LostInNH View Post
Does anyone recommend carrying a spare prop with all the rocks?
It probably doesn't hurt to have a spare prop if it's aluminum. Don't forget the Tools required to change it. A half inch drive socket wrench with the right size socket. The socket for a Mercruiser is One and 1/16 inches. This size socket Does NOT come with an ordinary 1/2" drive socket set. You have to go to NAPA and buy the socket separately.

OR: You can buy a Special (One piece) socket wrench designed specifically for removing props. (West's Marine, etc). Remove and Reinstall the prop with the boat On The Trailer BEFORE you whack the prop, just to see what's required. It's harder to do with the boat in the water...especially if the boat is NOT at a dock.

You need a hammer and a good size screwdriver to Bend and UN-Bend the "tab washer" before the nut will come off. You will also need a block of wood to Jam between the prop and the cavitation plate to prevent the prop from turning while removing the nut. DO NOT try to remove the nut by putting the outdrive IN GEAR instead. If YOU have never taken the prop off before..OR it wasn't greased when it was installed, you may have trouble sliding the prop off the splined prop shaft the first time.

BTW: Most of the DINGS you will get can be Cleaned Up with an 8 inch flat file..(Sears) carried on board in your toolbox. NB

EDIT: Special Prop Wrench: http://www.westmarine.com/webapp/wcs...nch&searchBtn=

Last edited by NoBozo; 05-30-2012 at 06:02 PM.
Old 05-30-2012, 07:26 PM   #19
Bizer

Quote:
Originally Posted by SIKSUKR View Post
Regarding "paper" charts. Get a Bizer chart. They are made from waterproof material and I feel are the best.
I couldn't agree more. (heh-heh)
Quote:
Originally Posted by jrc View Post
... Bizer built a business on those hidden rocks, they earned a place on every boat.
Some say Bizer is overly obsessed with hidden rocks. If you find a place that is less than six feet deep AND not marked in blue tint on Bizer's chart, Bizer will give you a reward of $250. In the past twelve years, Bizer has rewarded three individuals. We were happy to write the checks because it made the next chart more accurate.
Bizer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2012, 09:35 AM   #20
NoBozo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bizer View Post
I couldn't agree more. (heh-heh)Some say Bizer is overly obsessed with hidden rocks. If you find a place that is less than six feet deep AND not marked in blue tint on Bizer's chart, Bizer will give you a reward of $250. In the past twelve years, Bizer has rewarded three individuals. We were happy to write the checks because it made the next chart more accurate.
There is a Totally Excellent rock just to the NW of the Umbrella Point stone boathouse. It was marked by a buoy which was NOT on the Bizer chart...It may have been a Private aid....BUT.. I failed to notice it while I was showing a guest the very nice boathouse located there.

Lucky I was only going idle speed when I hit it. It nicely "Curled" my SS Cleaver. NB
The Following User Says Thank You to NoBozo For This Useful Post:
sfmathe (07-17-2012)
Old 05-31-2012, 10:37 AM   #21
Kamper

Due to the winds coming up, and local traffic, the open areas of the lake start to get choppy arund 10-11am and usually don't calm down until 4-5pm-ish. Heading from Center Harbor towards Wolfeboro or Alton you won't feel it as much because you will be going with the action. Coming back though, allow extra time so you aren't beating yourself up with head-waves.
Kamper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2012, 01:14 PM   #22
tom-sr230

one way to avoid damaging a prop is to get a jet boat...lol
we need much less clearance!

TOM
tom-sr230 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2012, 03:06 PM   #23
Bizer

Quote:
Originally Posted by NoBozo View Post
There is a Totally Excellent rock just to the NW of the Umbrella Point stone boathouse. It was marked by a buoy which was NOT on the Bizer chart...It may have been a Private aid....BUT.. I failed to notice it while I was showing a guest the very nice boathouse located there.

Lucky I was only going idle speed when I hit it. It nicely "Curled" my SS Cleaver. NB
You may have been using an old Bizer chart. The rock has always been on Bizer's chart. The buoy was added in 2005 and has been on the Bizer's chart since our 7th (2006) edition.

As a side note: Neither the rock nor the buoy have ever appeared on the green map.

Last edited by Bizer; 06-06-2012 at 09:00 AM.
Bizer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2012, 03:17 PM   #24
BroadHopper

Thanked 1,090 Times in 784 Posts
Default Big Lake

If by chance you lose your bearings, find the nearest light bouy. By comparing the bouy number with your chart, you will find out where you are on the lake.
Old 06-01-2012, 09:09 AM   #25
NoBozo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bizer View Post
You may have been using an old Bizer chart. The rock has always been on Bizer's chart. The buoy was added in 2005 and has been on the Bizer's chart since our 7th (2006) edition.
YUP: My Bizer is the 5th Edition. I guess that explains it. Buoys come and go..but those stinkin Rocks never move. NB

PS: My spell checker keeps wanting to replace Bizer with Boozer.
Old 06-05-2012, 11:38 AM   #26
SuperG

Default float plan idea

Great Info here. I have a similar boat, a great float plan for a half day is to launch at the Castle Shore Road ramp in Moultonborough, it is a small ramp, usually empty and no lines however there is no trailer parking, I used a friend’s home a few blocks away. If you can put in there this gives you immediate access to all the small coves in that area and there is usually little boat traffic. Hanson Cove, Buzell Cove which is quiet and isolated and great for gentle tubing with the kids. Cruise south and go swimming in Langley Cove. You can then blast down Moultonborough bay past Melvin Bay and 20-mile and head to 19-mile bay which is great. Trim half-up , go slow and explore around Whortleberry Island, pay attention to the water, the markers and your bizer chart and you’ll be fine.
Even with some light wind and chop Moultonborough bay is fine for a great Glastron 185.
SuperG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2012, 08:18 PM   #27
LostInNH

This is all great info. I appreciate all the effort you have all put in into helping a newbie out. I just realized that I will be towing my boat through bike week pretty much. Should be fun.

Quick question, how difficult is the temporary permit exam? My brother is coming up and I am going to have him take the exam so he can operate the bat as well.

Thanks, and if you need anything please let me know. I will be the red glastron "painless" on vhf 16

Carlos
Old 06-10-2012, 09:56 PM   #28
LostInNH

So I've been here since Friday night. And I must say I'm not sure I'm too happy with all of you here. Why wasn't I warned? This lake is so fantastic I'm not sure I can go back to my dinky little lake!!!
Nineteen mile bay yesterday. And today it was just cruising down through Sally's gut and by Weirs beach to take a look at the biker mayhem, under governors island bridge pulling into all the little coves along the way.
It was great. But I'm having some boat envy. My 18.5 is doing great....but a 24 would do so much better. Hahaha.
I plan to explore the Wolfeboro area tomorrow. Any suggestions? I'll be here all week.

Thanks again for all the tips.
-Lost
p.s. Y landing gas $4.42 (ouch!)
Old 06-10-2012, 10:33 PM   #29
upthesaukee

Thanked 1,918 Times in 1,061 Posts
Default re: gas

Before you go out on the boat, check the thread on Gas prices. West Alton Marina behind Rattlesnake and Sleeper's Island has great pricing consistently. If you are going by the Weirs in you journey, gas in the channel, at the end of Paugus, and I believe even at Anchor Marine at the Weirs are reasonable (Anchor Marine is a sponsor of this site). Just a thought.

If you were only going to be in the area of the Y landing, it probably would not make sense to drive to West Alton to save the 40 cents or so per gallon. May use more gas than you would save.

Of course, we try to convince each other that the cost of gas is why we love the lake and why we bought the new boat last year, and why our kids think we should be committed (until they come up and want to boating ).

Enjoy your time on the lake...it is all good.
Old 06-11-2012, 06:03 AM   #30
jrc

Glad to hear you're having a good time.

Sorry about Y-landing, $4.42 is just crazy.

If you go to Wolfeboro, there are a lot good places to eat and shop there. The town docks should be reasonably open on a Monday. Plus it will be one time you will be happy you have an 18.5' boat.

Just for the fun of it go under the bridge over Main st, if you can fit. Back bay has some more public docks.

If you like narrow coves and stuff, we like to anchor on the south side of Worcester Island. The big house back there is where the French president stayed a few years ago. Don't forget to stop in and say hi to Mitt on Clark Point or Bob Bahre on Clay Point.
Old 06-11-2012, 08:02 AM   #31
Dave R

Sounds like you enjoy the seam kind of boating that I do. You need to put Green's Basin and Lee's Mill on your itinerary. It's a fun ride up to that part of the lake and it's really quite beautiful up there.
Dave R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2012, 11:10 AM   #32
LostInNH

So it's been a couple of weeks since I've come back to my dinky lake. I want to say that I had a fantastic time. I explored almost all the major sites except Alton bay and moultonboro bay. It's way too much for one week. People were nice and most did wave.
And you guys were right, on a busy windy weekend my 18 foot did seem small next to all that wake and waves. But it performed well. I even crossed the broads at speed on a couple of occasions during the week. Fantastic views.
Hopefully I'll make it back up in August.
Thanks again for all the tips and advice. It really came in handy. And Bizer, good job with that chart. I had zero trouble.
Sincerely,
LostInNH