Go Back   Winnipesaukee Forum > Winnipesaukee Forums > Weather
Home Forums Gallery Webcams Blogs YouTube Channel Classifieds Calendar Register FAQDonate Members List Today's Posts

Old 05-18-2009, 12:39 PM   #1
Argie's Wife

Default Frost tonight?

Is there really going to be a frost tonight? I've heard conflicting reports (but get most of my weather from weather.com or the Mac wiget...)
Argie's Wife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2009, 01:27 PM   #2
meteotrade

Yes, I do believe there will be... Once it clears out this evening temps should drop like a rock. Cover up those tomato plants!
meteotrade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2009, 02:00 PM   #3
Resident 2B

Quote:
Originally Posted by Argie's Wife View Post
Is there really going to be a frost tonight? I've heard conflicting reports (but get most of my weather from weather.com or the Mac wiget...)
It looks like there could be frost in many places, but I would be surprised if lake front places would see a frost tonight.

For nights with no wind and a clear sky, the temperature can approach the dew point. The dew point at the airport is now 27 degrees and trending downward. So the potential is there. The lake is at 56 degrees, so that should keep the frost away from areas within 100 yards or so of the water.

Protection of plants that do not like the cold is strongly advised.

R2B
Resident 2B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2009, 04:22 PM   #4
tis

Thanked 1,381 Times in 957 Posts

I am going to hope that all the flowers I planted this weekend are ok.
tis is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2009, 06:17 PM   #5
Argie's Wife

Quote:
Originally Posted by meteotrade View Post
Yes, I do believe there will be... Once it clears out this evening temps should drop like a rock. Cover up those tomato plants!
That seemed to be the sentiment at the post office and land fill today... (... the two social meccas of Alton!)
Argie's Wife is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 05-18-2009, 07:50 PM   #6
PennyPenny

Default What will happen to the bugs???

If we were to get a frost tonight, would it kill off the black flies and some of the mosquitos? Keeping my fingers crossed. I can cover the gardens or replant if needed. I don't want to replace the bugs.
PennyPenny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2009, 08:14 PM   #7
trfour

Thumbs up Dear Penny Penny....

Couldn't be a more perfect scenario to get rid of the Bugs! "No pesticides"!
Now all that we need to do is to get these early frosts to eliminate the Madoff's of the world!

T

Always Remember, The Best Safety Device In The Boat, or on a PWC Snowmobile etc., Is YOU!

Safe sledding tips and much more; http://www.snowmobile.org/snowmobiling-safety.html
trfour is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2009, 04:58 AM   #8
ApS

Cool We're Fogged In Presently...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Resident 2B View Post
"...I would be surprised if lake front places would see a frost tonight..."
Since Ice-Out, this lakefront place has been seeing pre-dawn temps between 40° to 44°: Today, it's been sitting at 40° for an hour—even as the sun rises. At this hour, there is normally a dense morning fog that hangs over Mirror Lake.

Mirror Lake's fog has slowly moved south across Winnipesaukee in little puffs, with a gentle push from a breeze that came up at sunrise.

To carry last night's warmth over to this morning, late evening was a good time to put a large, un-split chunk of wood in the woodstove.
Old 05-19-2009, 07:42 AM   #9
CanisLupusArctos

A low of 36 at Black Cat Island this morning. I had the same thoughts about the bugs. It is possible that this frost will knock back their numbers for the next few days, thus allowing us to enjoy Thursday's 85-degree weather while it lasts (1 day only... a good day to "get the swine flu" if you know what I mean.)

But you know the bugs will be back.
CanisLupusArctos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2009, 09:42 AM   #10
Resident 2B

Default Bugs and more bugs

Last night's low near the Weirs was 34 degrees. It is now warming rapidly. Beautiful day!

Black flies can survive cold weather. It is the hot weather that puts an end to them, usually a 90 degree day or two. If Thursday gets to 90 degrees, it will have a bigger impact on them than the cold of last night.

Mosquitos are a different story. The cold will really slow them down. The first hard freeze ends their season. They love the heat, so Thursday will be enjoyed by the mosqitos as much as by the humans.

Bottom line is, in NH, we have bugs. Different weather favors different bugs, but they are here for the summer. I'll be happier when the black flies are gone. That day will not come soon enough. Bring on the heat!

R2B
Resident 2B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2009, 06:16 PM   #11
CanisLupusArctos

Default Frost tonight

Frost is once again likely tonight. Dewpoints across the area are in the mid-20s. Which represents the potential low temp by morning IF the winds drop off to calm. I don't think things will go completely calm tonight, but the wind has shown a noticeable slackening since 4 pm. It's also becoming more north than northwest (north doesn't usually come in very strong around here.)

With much lighter winds, frequently dropping off to calm, and very little moisture in the air to give off heat all night, I expect the air to cool to around 29 degrees away from the water and 35 on the islands.

Frost advisory is in effect from the NWS for the entire state tonight. I think even the seacoast will see frost. The normally colder spots will be in the mid-20s at sunrise tomorrow morning.
CanisLupusArctos is offline   Reply With Quote