Go Back   Winnipesaukee Forum > Winnipesaukee Forums > Weather
Home Forums Gallery Webcams Blogs YouTube Channel Classifieds Calendar Register FAQDonate Members List Today's Posts

Old 03-08-2009, 06:32 PM   #1
corollaman

Default More snow tonight/Monday

So much for the spring weather we had to get rid of the snow...we're getting another 3-6 inches tonight and tomorrow.I hope we don't have snow into April,that's all I can say.I know it doesn't last this time of year,I mean look how quick last Monday's snow melted,but it's just depressing to see the winter weather return.I know it's still only March,but I'm anxious for Spring and Summer.I hope Ice Out happens early too.
corollaman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2009, 11:49 AM   #2
Ropetow

Quote:
Originally Posted by corollaman View Post
but it's just depressing to see the winter weather return.I know it's still only March,but I'm anxious for Spring and Summer.I hope Ice Out happens early too.

OK....We know you hate winter. And winter sports. Have you tried Florida? Or Arizona? I love boating and the summer will be here soon enough. As a native New Englander you learn to live with the beauty of each season. Or....you can complain....or not complain and live with it....or move to a uni-seasonal location.
Ropetow is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Ropetow For This Useful Post:
hazelnut (03-09-2009)
Old 03-09-2009, 02:24 PM   #3
Lakegeezer

I'm down in the DC area this week on business and Sunday evening was special. The river is open water, with small white caps and sailboats out. It was in the low 70's. I couldn't believe how nice it felt to have warm weather, but seeing that new snow falling back home (it usually snows when I'm gone) makes me anxious to return. There is more skiing and snowmobiling to be had before tax day - the traditional boat dunking time of year. Ropetow has it right. You gotta love all the seasons or life won't be fun. Of course, when mud season really gets here, we might sing a different tune for a while.
Old 03-09-2009, 02:31 PM   #4
hazelnut

Default Not to bead a dead horse but....

carollaman,

Why not just start a thread dedicated to lamenting winter instead of flooding the site with random related threads and comments all about your disdain for winter?

It seems that every thread I click on has a comment from carollaman wishing the winter away. I think you started wishing too early. You got a long way to go before you see boats in the lake my friend.
hazelnut is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to hazelnut For This Useful Post:
Ropetow (03-09-2009)
Old 03-09-2009, 03:42 PM   #5
Rose

Corollaman -

If it's any consolation, meteorological spring started March 1.
Rose is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 03-09-2009, 08:16 PM   #6
corollaman

I'm sorry for the complaining,I'm just anxious for Spring to get here.Even if I had a winter sport,I'd still be anxious,cause I'm ready for a change.I know there's nothing I can do to change the weather,but I know it's still only March.I think this past weekend's weather gave us a huge false sense of security.As much as I hate winter,I still love New England for the beautiful lakes and mountains.I wouldn't trade living here for any other place in the US.This is a beautiful area,but I think all of us are getting winter weary.
Old 03-09-2009, 08:22 PM   #7
corollaman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ropetow View Post
OK....We know you hate winter. And winter sports. Have you tried Florida? Or Arizona? I love boating and the summer will be here soon enough. As a native New Englander you learn to live with the beauty of each season. Or....you can complain....or not complain and live with it....or move to a uni-seasonal location.
As much as I hate winter,I wouldn't want to live anyplace else.Winter is the only thing I don't like about the Lakes Region.I love the beautiful lakes and mountains here,I have a good job still here,and all my relatives are here.Don't get me wrong,winter has some beauty to it,but I'm anxious to see green again!I might buy a sled next winter once my car is paid for,which won't be till August,but I might take a out a loan for a sled to keep my credit up.Maybe you guys are right,I should take up something to do in the winter instead of just sitting around brooding about spring not coming fast enough.Even if I loved winter,I'd still be ready for a change right about now.
Old 03-09-2009, 08:23 PM   #8
jetskier

Default and for our next trick...

Quote:
Originally Posted by corollaman View Post
I'm sorry for the complaining,I'm just anxious for Spring to get here.Even if I had a winter sport,I'd still be anxious,cause I'm ready for a change.I know there's nothing I can do to change the weather,but I know it's still only March.I think this past weekend's weather gave us a huge false sense of security.As much as I hate winter,I still love New England for the beautiful lakes and mountains.I wouldn't trade living here for any other place in the US.This is a beautiful area,but I think all of us are getting winter weary.
Just think of it...we are now entering mud season. I went snowmobiling on Saturday and we were riding in SNIRT. It is going to be warm this week, keep the faith.

Jetskier
jetskier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2009, 09:01 PM   #9
Ropetow

Even mud season has its beauty. One of the best days we have spent on the lake (literally) was Alton Winter Carnival. Can't walk on the water in summer!
Ropetow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2009, 09:06 PM   #10
RI Swamp Yankee

Quote:
Originally Posted by jetskier View Post
Just think of it...we are now entering mud season....
Soon too be followed by Black Fly Season.
Old 03-09-2009, 09:39 PM   #11
CanisLupusArctos

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rose View Post
Corollaman -

I have to admit I was excited by this past weekend's warm weather. However as a forecaster I know better than to think it'll stick around -- it's March. A month of transition.

The island received 4.3 inches of snow today. Now it has ended and this evening the sky has cleared to allow the full moon to shine on the freshly snow covered landscape. The sticky snow has coated everything, and the wind is absolutely still. When I got home tonight I couldn't help but stand in the driveway with all the lights off, and just take it all in. I felt like I was in one of those magical lands from a story read to me when I was a child.

Back to more scientific commentary, this March ("month of transition") is certainly shaping up to be an interesting one on a national level. The warmth had surged north from the Gulf of Mexico to give us our taste of spring this past weekend, and the warm air hasn't been pushed that far south of us. It's still nearby. Meanwhile, a powerful Canadian cold air mass is barreling into the northern plains and is making its way south and east from there. Like a railway locomotive it's tossing the warm air as if it were "the cow on the tracks" and is going to make this nation's weather get very interesting the next 24-48 hours.

A blizzard warning is now in effect for much of the northern plains, and a winter storm warning is in effect beyond that. This cold air is making its way south out of Canada and plowing into the warm air surge. As the cold air makes its way south, it is creating severe weather with tornadoes... with heavy rain ahead of that... and where the cold air has already taken over, the blizzard.

This storm will make national headlines this week. It may also mess up the airlines quite a bit, by screwing with two major airline hubs: Minneapolis/St. Paul, and also Chicago.

This storm will pass to our west tomorrow night, which means we'll get its warm front. Moisture ahead of the warm front will ride up and over the cold air we have in place right now (which isn't much.) Then the warm air will gradually lower in altitude until it's at the surface, which may take a while. That means we can expect to see snow begin tomorrow night and change to sleet and freezing rain, and then eventually plain rain by Wednesday morning. Expect some dense fog Wednesday morning, especially around the lake.
CanisLupusArctos is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to CanisLupusArctos For This Useful Post:
AC2717 (03-10-2009), Blue Thunder (03-10-2009), hazelnut (03-10-2009), ITD (03-10-2009), Ropetow (03-10-2009)
Old 03-10-2009, 08:02 AM   #12
Merrymeeting

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rose View Post
Corollaman -

Can one of the local weather experts educate us on the definition of meteorological spring?

I'm sure I can do a Google search and find it. But I suspect that Rose's or CLR's explanations will be much more localized and entertaining.
Merrymeeting is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Merrymeeting For This Useful Post:
Jonas Pilot (03-10-2009)
Old 03-10-2009, 09:18 AM   #13
Resident 2B

Quote:
Originally Posted by Merrymeeting View Post
Can one of the local weather experts educate us on the definition of meteorological spring?

I'm sure I can do a Google search and find it. But I suspect that Rose's or CLR's explanations will be much more localized and entertaining.
From a meteorological perspective, the three winter months are December, January and February and the three spring months are March, April and May. This is driven by the way records have been kept over the years. In addition, the change of seasons is actually a function of the relative location of the sun vs. the Earth, so record keeping would be a nightmare if it was done in an exact manner. The daily data is consolidated into monthly data, making the monthly data something that has become a measure. At the end of the month, average temperatures are calculated and reported against the normal for the month. At the end of February, the average winter temperatures are reported and compared against the 30 year normals.

There are exceptions to these methods. Snowfall is reported from July 1st to June 30th, so the winter's snowfall continues to accumulate even though we are in meteorological spring. The same goes for heating degree days. Cooling degree days are kept from January 1st through December 31st.

I hope this helps.

R2B
Resident 2B is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Resident 2B For This Useful Post:
Merrymeeting (03-10-2009), trfour (03-10-2009)