Go Back   Winnipesaukee Forum > Winnipesaukee Forums > General Discussion
Home Forums Gallery Webcams Blogs YouTube Channel Classifieds Calendar Register FAQDonate Members List Today's Posts

Old 01-07-2011, 02:16 PM   #1
Pontoon Goon

Default New England Pond Hockey Classic

My skates are sharp and I am ready to go. The 2nd annual New England Pond Hockey Classic kicks off Friday Feb. 4th. Over 140 teams are registered to compete for the coveted Lake WinnipeHockey Cup on the perfect setting of Meredith Bay. Teams from as far away as Golden, Colorado, Utah, Illinois and Ga. will be joining a slew of regional talent visiting for this three day event. Last year's tournament won the 2010 Tourism award. Actual game schedules have not been published yet but they run early till late afternoon Friday and Saturday with playoff games Sunday. It's a great take, stop by.
Pontoon Goon is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Pontoon Goon For This Useful Post:
Cobalt 25 (01-27-2011), WakeboardMom (01-09-2012)
Old 01-07-2011, 04:46 PM   #2
This'nThat

Default Pond hockey is hockey at it's best

I'd like to see a smaller tournament -- not to replace the one at Merideth, but perhaps a more regional tournament. Maybe starting with teams from the original Mt Washington stops -- you know, a team from Wolfboro, Alton Bay, Merideth, Wiers, Center Harbor. Plus other teams representing other well-known locations, such as a team from Moultonboro. Maybe teams representing the various marinas or marina towns, such as Gilford or Fays. Get them to engage in a local tournament for Winipesaukee bragging rights, or something.

Then, engage in playoffs and a Stanley Cup of sorts, by playing other lakes around the area (Squam lake, Newfound lake, etc).
This'nThat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2011, 08:38 PM   #3
Pontoon Goon

Default great idea

There are so many great teams that came out of the lake region that were so competitive I would think that that would be a great event. A lot of work to organize and the hotels and restaurants may not enjoy an upspike but it sure would be fun to watch.
Old 01-09-2011, 12:53 PM   #4
ACutAbove

THat would be a great thing for the local people to take part in I for one would play. but one of the problems is how would you devide teams up by age or skill level?
I think it is a great concept mabey something worth exploring????

Sorry Pontoon for talking about something else on your thread. I also cannot wait for the tournement it was a good time last yr. Just wish I had a team together to play...
ACutAbove is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2011, 12:58 PM   #5
AllAbourdon

Default Recommended Book, Local Hockey (Seacoast)

http://ryeseahawks.com/ValleyMediaKit.pdf
AllAbourdon is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 01-20-2011, 07:57 PM   #6
Pontoon Goon

Smile Lotta work

They started clearing the ice today. Fifteen rinks in Meredith Bay, this is gonna be fun.
Old 01-20-2011, 08:59 PM   #7
Argie's Wife

Argie and I were talking about teaching the boys to skate yesterday...

Where can I find used skates for kids? Does anyone around here sharpen them anymore?

(I'd prefer to start them out on the double blades with the toe teeth (figure skates, I guess) vs. the hockey skates w/o the toe teeth.)
Argie's Wife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2011, 10:20 PM   #8
hazelnut

How old are the boys? We started our twin boys when they were 4 on regular hockey skates and they did just fine. Don't underestimate your kids abilities to pick it up. I feel like the double blade skates are a waste of money as they will surely outgrow them within weeks if you take them regularly. Go with the sink or swim approach and just get them on the ice with regular skates. Pad them up with helmets and lots of layers, maybe invest in elbow and knee pads as they will be falling a lot.

Good Luck
hazelnut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2011, 12:12 AM   #9
trfour

Default Very Good Advice, Hazelnut....

Ice hockey, No Teeth. Use hockey skates...

Figure skating yes, use figure skates with teeth...

Get my drift?

I'm looking forward to the competition at the New England Pond Hockey Classic again this year!

Best wishes for a great turnout and about!
Terry

Always Remember, The Best Safety Device In The Boat, or on a PWC Snowmobile etc., Is YOU!

Safe sledding tips and much more; http://www.snowmobile.org/snowmobiling-safety.html
trfour is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2011, 09:01 AM   #10
VitaBene

Thanked 1,608 Times in 823 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Argie's Wife View Post

Where can I find used skates for kids? Does anyone around here sharpen them anymore?

(I'd prefer to start them out on the double blades with the toe teeth (figure skates, I guess) vs. the hockey skates w/o the toe teeth.)
There is a rink in Laconia that has open skating and rentals. They sharpen as well.
http://www.laconiaicearena.com/contact.htm
VitaBene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2011, 09:04 AM   #11
VitaBene

Thanked 1,608 Times in 823 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by hazelnut View Post
How old are the boys? We started our twin boys when they were 4 on regular hockey skates and they did just fine. Don't underestimate your kids abilities to pick it up. I feel like the double blade skates are a waste of money as they will surely outgrow them within weeks if you take them regularly. Go with the sink or swim approach and just get them on the ice with regular skates. Pad them up with helmets and lots of layers, maybe invest in elbow and knee pads as they will be falling a lot.

Good Luck
I remember when I learned a million years ago we pushed a chair around the ice. I don't think that is the preferred method any longer.

I agree with your assessment of double runner skates. Elbow and knee pads. More importantly, pick your time for when your kids are most receptive to adversity (read that as not when they are tired or in a bad mood!)
VitaBene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2011, 09:20 AM   #12
GTO

Default strongly agree

Quote:
Originally Posted by hazelnut View Post

Good Luck
Double blades are are waste. It basically teaches them to walk on with metal blades. To save on your back though, I'd recommend stacking a couple of milk crates together (tie them together) and have the child just push them along. Hemet should be a no brainer. Balance is a big part of 1st learning to skate and the child will take many falls. Best to protect the head. You could always check local rinks to see if they supply crates or cones for learners and take them to that rink. Check the rink at PSU
Old 01-22-2011, 06:46 PM   #13
Waterbaby

Quote:
Originally Posted by VitaBene View Post
I remember when I learned a million years ago we pushed a chair around the ice. I don't think that is the preferred method any longer.

I agree with your assessment of double runner skates. Elbow and knee pads. More importantly, pick your time for when your kids are most receptive to adversity (read that as not when they are tired or in a bad mood!)
Now it's milk crates stacked to kind of match the child's height, VB - similar concept.

And AW - when I just checked into "learn to skate" for my son at the Rinks in Exeter, they start them off on figure skates - supposed to be easier to learn on those.
Old 01-24-2011, 09:21 AM   #14
martbri7

Default Pond Hockey

Saw this on craigslist under "jobs" I think the date is wrong but they still need the help.

Checking out the craigslist and the Snow Removal Needed (Meredith Bay)

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Date: 2011-01-23, 7:12PM EST
Reply to: job-4zdxt-2176372419@craigslist.org [Errors when replying to ads?]

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

The Pond Hockey Classic is in need of Snow Removal Help the week of February 24th and the week of February 31st leading up to the New England Pond Hockey Classic. Snow removal equipment, snow blowers, tractors, trucks, plows etc. Need to clear a large area on the ice for the 2011 New England Pond Hockey Classic. Lighter equipment a necessity due to nature of work on the ice. Serious Inquiries respond.
martbri7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2011, 08:52 PM   #15
jeffatsquam

Kevin's café will be having a food tent at both the pond hockey and fishing derby on Meredith Bay

A portion of the proceeds will benefit the Inter-Lakes Moultonborough
Football program. The boosters are very pleased that someone of Chef Fisk Quality has offered to do this. So please stop by and see what delicious food he has cooked up.
jeffatsquam is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to jeffatsquam For This Useful Post:
Argie's Wife (01-26-2011), Meredith lady (01-26-2011)
Old 01-25-2011, 09:21 PM   #16
magicrobotmonkey

On the subject of food at the Pond Hockey tournament, don't miss your chance at some of the regions best chili!

http://www.greatermeredith.com/CHILI...ND-HOCKEY.html
magicrobotmonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2011, 07:30 AM   #17
Senter Cove Guy

Default Skates

Quote:
Originally Posted by Argie's Wife View Post

Hockey skates are for boys. Figure skates are for girls. Hockey skates are also for girls who want to be boys.
Old 01-26-2011, 08:23 AM   #18
bobio

This thread is way off topic! Lets hear some opinions on the Pond Hockey Classic Tournament in Meredith.
There will be 165 teams competing this year. Thats a huge increase from last years 77 teams.

I am pretty sure that none of the competetors will be wearing figure skates.
bobio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2011, 08:37 AM   #19
Argie's Wife

Talking ...thread police...

Thanks for pointing that out, bobio... skates have nothing to do with hockey, right?

I didn't expect as many folks to chime in on the subject when I asked my question (and thank you to those of you offing advice - I appreciate it) - I was under the impress the thread had already run its' course. It wasn't my intention to derail it, in other words.

Anywho... this sounds like it's going to be a blast - I hope this cold cold cold snap is gone by then so there will be a good turn out.
Argie's Wife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2011, 09:01 AM   #20
bobio

Argie's Wife

Thanks for the reply also.
Take the boys to the Pond Hockey Classic next weekend and I guarantee that they will be asking for boys hockey skates and not double runners.
See you there.
bobio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2011, 04:09 PM   #21
Espo

Default Can't Wait!!

Last years pond hockey tourney was fantastic, can't wait for this year! Weather was the key last year, it couldn't have been any better. The tourney is great for the area, and this year the turn out should be even bigger! Keep ur fingers crossed for great weather!
Espo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2011, 04:55 PM   #22
salesguy77

Default Girls Hockey

Quote:
Originally Posted by Senter Cove Guy View Post
Hockey skates are for boys. Figure skates are for girls. Hockey skates are also for girls who want to be boys.
Hey Brad,

My daughter doesn't want to be a boy. She just loves the game of hockey and plays pretty well. And image, wears goalie skates when she's in net and forward skates when she plays out. I'll be skating at the PHC, will you?

Rich
Old 01-27-2011, 07:38 AM   #23
Pontoon Goon

Red face Womens division

There is a womens division this year and if you want to see some good fundamentally sound hockey you should take one of those games in. I hope the weather cooperates as they are talking a warming trend and possibly rain mid week next week. Scott Crowder has done such a good job putting this thing together it's hard to believe he is only 24 yrs. old. I can't wait for the chili cookoff but I think it will have to wait till after I skate.
Old 01-27-2011, 01:01 PM   #24
tis

Thanked 1,381 Times in 957 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by salesguy77 View Post
Hey Brad,

My daughter doesn't want to be a boy. She just loves the game of hockey and plays pretty well. And image, wears goalie skates when she's in net and forward skates when she plays out. I'll be skating at the PHC, will you?

Rich
I have to agree! Girls play hockey who love pretty dresses and shoes!!! And I know some women who are hockey players too who are totally feminine!
tis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2011, 01:07 PM   #25
Senter Cove Guy

Default Pond Hockey Tournament

Quote:
Originally Posted by salesguy77 View Post
Hey Brad,

I'll be skating at the PHC, will you?

Rich
Is that a challenge? Unfortunately, No. I'll be diving in Curacao with a group from Dive Winnipesaukee during that week. Maybe next year.
Old 01-27-2011, 02:21 PM   #26
Pontoon Goon

Default So it's a challenge you want

Senter Cove Guy why don't you stay behind and film the tournament from under the ice ? Now that would be a nice challenge.
Have a safe trip.
Old 01-28-2011, 06:42 AM   #27
Rusty

There is a good article in today's Laconia Daily Sun about the NE Pond Hockey Classic.
Attached Images

Rusty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2011, 03:05 PM   #28
SIKSUKR

Bummer that the pending snowstorm is going to make things much more difficult.
Old 02-01-2011, 10:24 AM   #29
Pontoon Goon

Default Zamboni on the lake.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SIKSUKR View Post
Bummer that the pending snowstorm is going to make things much more difficult.
Nothing surprises me with these guys. The good folks that are running this tournament posted on facebook last night that they are bringing a zamboni onto the lake this morning in an effort to have the best ice possible. That would make a nice picture.
Old 02-09-2011, 11:58 AM   #30
BlackCatIslander

Default How was it???

I was wondering how the tournament worked out. If I could turn back the calendar for quite a few years, I would have loved to participate. I am surprised that there has not been any comments. I know that there was some concern about the ice quality. I hope that it all worked out well. This is a great event. I just wish I were a lot younger.
BlackCatIslander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2011, 01:48 PM   #31
mets3007

I watched the classic on Ustream it looked like they had nice crowds there.
mets3007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2011, 01:55 PM   #32
Pontoon Goon

Default Could not have worked out better.

The event this year far exceeded anything I could have ever dreamed of considering this is only it's second year. Although the competition was kicked up a notch this year with the number of teams being double last years the sportsmanship was outstanding. 608 games played not including playoffs and I only heard of one tussle and that was in the womens division.
All things considered the ice was in good shape. There were some cracks and ruts but there really is no way to control that. The rinks were flooded at night so the early games enjoyed a better playing surface while the later games were less about skating and more about passing and puck control.
Opening games on Friday morning the Temp was -3. I didn't mind so much but the plastic holding the blade on my skate couldn't quite deal with it. I blocked a shot with my skate and the entire thing just blew apart. I had to buy new skates and try to break them in before my next game in 3 hours.
My hat's off to Scott Crowder who ran the entire thing. All the vendors looked to be very busy I know the hotels were banged out and Lago was a zoo. I don't know for sure about the other restaurants in the area but I am sure they must have felt a nice uptick. I have only been to one or two events in my life when you could actually feel the excitement in the air, this was one of them.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Pontoon Goon For This Useful Post:
jeffatsquam (02-09-2011), Mooseyme (02-10-2011)
Old 02-09-2011, 08:49 PM   #33
Winnisquamguy

I went down both times on my sled Friday night it was late, and they were flooding the rinks but still quite a few people were still hanging around. Went back again Sunday around 1:00 pm and the place was very busy, was hard to find a place to see as there was only one game going on but a few more started shortly after. All the vendors looked happy, looking forward to next year!
Old 03-07-2011, 10:51 AM   #34
Lucy Goose

Default Meredith Pond Hockey Photos

Not sure where to post this. If wrong let me know or move it?

Here are some pics on my website from the Meredith Pond Hockey event. Maybe you will see yourself.

http://brendajacobsphotography.smugmug.com/

Many others as well, all for sale.

Lucy Goose
Lucy Goose is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Lucy Goose For This Useful Post:
csuhockey3 (03-08-2011)
Old 01-19-2013, 11:19 AM   #35
Pontoon Goon

Default Pond Hockey 2013

This picture was posted on the Pond Hockey Classic Facebook page
this morning. My fingers are crossed that we can play on Meredith
Bay this year. Waukewan was fun last year but nothing beats the